Konsonantensystem
ŋθʃʒçʍɹɻɫɾ
Diakritische Zeichen
ˈː

NEU
leo-ende

TopicGerman words in English (just for the hell of it)182 replies    
Comment
Because I'm bored and interested and you are too, let's list German words that are part of the English vocabulary (and no I don't want to do it the other way around -- damn wholesale word theives ;). I'm going to try to avoid words that came to English via Yiddish.

Speaking (of course) from the American perspective, the most common ones are probably kindergarten (pronounced 'kindergarden')and gesundheit (pronounced 'gesun-teit', used only after someone sneezes). But also there are words like schadenfreude, leitmotiv, gedankenexperiment, bremsstrahlung, zeitgiest, volkgeist, Götterdämmerung... Oh yeah, fahrvergnuegen (thanks to VW, though pronounced 'far-fig-noogen').

What are some others??
AuthorRoy12 Apr 02, 17:53
Comment
oh, and realpolitik
#1AuthorRoy12 Apr 02, 19:40
Comment
and weltschmerz...
#2AuthorRoy12 Apr 02, 19:42
Comment
If we are talking about English words with German word origins, there's a jillion of them, since English is a Germanic language: jump, dollar, haste, for example.
If we're only talking about current and real German words that also appear in an English dictionary, let's see...there's sauerbraten, spiel, dachshund, rottweiler, schnitzel.. plenty of 'em
#3AuthorKevin12 Apr 02, 21:00
Comment
kaputt
#4AuthorDoris12 Apr 02, 21:07
Comment
Angst
#5AuthorStefan12 Apr 02, 21:53
Comment
I'm not sure about this one, but I heard in French it's le/la(?) "Waldsterben" and I found it on quite a few English sites as well, e.g. http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/tree/picabi/value_and_use.html. But it was mostly in quotes and when describing the effect in European forests.
#6AuthorStefan12 Apr 02, 22:12
Comment
many words specific to musicology, like lied for the German one - chanson would be the french one, song is used for both - or the already mentioned Leitmotiv or Programmusik (not sure about the spelling, but the word is the same ;-)) et al.
#7AuthorAGB12 Apr 02, 22:22
Comment
Just found a website that is dedicated to German words in the English language: http://www.GermanEnglishWords.com/.
#8AuthorStefan12 Apr 02, 22:55
Comment
Let's go with words that were adopted from German "recently", rather than cognates. I guess the proper term would be "loan words". I'm more interested in words that are concepts, rather than specific nouns like sauerkraut or Luftwaffe, which refer to a specifically German thing. I think "kaput" may have come to English via Yiddish, like schlep, nix, kitsch, schmuck (not jewelry!), etc.

As far as German words, I forgot weltanschauung, ersatz (as an adjective), gestalt, doppelgaenger and wunderkind.
#9AuthorRoy12 Apr 02, 23:00
Comment
So "war words" like Panzer, Nazi, KZ-lager and all that are out? What about space program words, like Brennschluss (thanks, Wernher)?
#10AuthorPeter13 Apr 02, 02:09
Comment
at the risk of poaching from another thread, Schadenfreude
#11AuthorKevin13 Apr 02, 14:25
Comment
gemütlichkeit
#12AuthorKevin13 Apr 02, 14:39
Comment
Would you accept "Platzangst" in an English text, or do you insist on (the Greek) "agoraphobia"?
#13AuthorReinhard W.14 Apr 02, 09:46
Comment
No panzers or u-boats (yes, I know that's modified). They're just not as interesting.

Agoraphobia is the only word I know. I didn't even know the word Platzangst meant agoraphobia in addition to claustrophobia.
#14AuthorRoy14 Apr 02, 23:38
Comment
Mein Favorit: "to abseil"
und dann gibt es noch den "rucksack"

Gruß
#15AuthorRainer15 Apr 02, 09:02
Comment
Gesamtkunstwerk and Pretzel
#16Author15 Apr 02, 11:55
Comment
liverwurst!!
#17AuthorIngrid15 Apr 02, 12:43
Comment
kohlrabi, knockwurst (!), kuchen, Kulturkampf!!
#18AuthorIngrid15 Apr 02, 12:48
Comment
Roy: Agoraphobie ('Platzangst') und Claustrophobie ('Zimmerangst') sind zwei verschiedene Dinge. Agoraphobie ist die krankhafte Angst, freie Plätze oder Straßen (vor allem alleine) zu überqueren; Claustrophobie ist die krankhafte Angst vor dem Aufenthalt in ge- oder verschlossenen Räumen.
#19AuthorReinhard W.15 Apr 02, 15:51
Comment
Platzangst wird aber oft (fälschlicherweise?)für Claustrophobie verwendet! Ich denke sogar, das die meisten Deutschen das Wort in dieser Bedeutung verwenden, auch wenn es nicht richtig ist.

Gruss
#20AuthorRainer15 Apr 02, 16:27
Comment
What does "abseilen" mean? Leo only translates it as "to abseil" and notes that it's "chiefly British". Being that I'm not "chiefly British", would anyone care to explain it to me? :)
#21AuthorRoy15 Apr 02, 18:55
Comment
Ok, I answered my own question. In LEO I looked up "abseil" and it only listed "abseil" and "abseiling" on the English side. When I looked up "abseilen" it listed the American word too: "rappel" (I guess we decided stealing/borrowing from the Fremch was better).
#22AuthorRoy15 Apr 02, 19:02
Comment
what are "bremsstrahlung" and "volkgeist", never heard them in German?
#23AuthorRuth15 Apr 02, 20:19
Comment
Glockenspiel, Spiel?
#24AuthorDoris 15 Apr 02, 22:23
Comment
Bremsstrahlung is a term from Physics. If you decelerate (verlangsamen) a charged particle, like an electron, it will give off radiation. Hence the term bremsstrahlung (braking radiation).

I'm not certain, but I think Hegel coined the term "volksgeist". It's often defined as "spirit of the people/folk/nation". Look it up on Google for examples. Not as common as "zeitgeist" (or for that matter "poltergeist").
#25AuthorRoy15 Apr 02, 22:35
Comment
Müesli - a Swiss-german word!
#26AuthorJoerg16 Apr 02, 09:07
Comment
"Blitzkrieg" or abrev. as "Blitz" (mainly used by "The SUN" newspaper)
#27AuthorIngo16 Apr 02, 13:16
Comment
This discussion is very interesting. I grew up in South Africa, had German in school, but except for "Kindergarten", which we know from American movies but never used (we use creché or nursery school), and the war thingies like Blitzkrieg, and the food in the German restaurants such as Sauerkraut, we use hardly any German words in South African English. Most of the words that have been posted so far I encountered for the first time when I came to Europe. I wonder whether this is because very few German-Jewish refugees fled to RSA, but many to UK/USA, carrying both German and Yiddish with them?
#28AuthorAW16 Apr 02, 14:55
Comment
Correction...we do use abseilen, Müsli, rottweiler and poltergeist too, but almost no one except university professors will ever use Zeitgeist, Platzangst or Weltanschauung in RSA.
#29AuthorAW16 Apr 02, 15:01
Comment
gegenschein, heiligenschein, kugelblitz [phys./astron.]
#30Authorstefan <at>17 Apr 02, 08:39
Comment
bildungsroman, iceberg
#31AuthorBF17 Apr 02, 12:03
Comment
Sorry, BF, Merriam-Webster gives the Norwegians and Danes equal billing on Iceberg.
#32AuthorKevin17 Apr 02, 21:10
Comment
Schnaps and Schnauzer (the dog)
#33AuthorClaudi18 Apr 02, 20:55
Comment
Schnaps and Schnauzer (the dog)
#34AuthorClaudi18 Apr 02, 20:56
Comment
Just came across 'sitz-bath' in a book.
#35AuthorES19 Apr 02, 12:57
Comment
Roy, if I'm not mistaken, abseiling is rappelling, i.e., lowering yourself down a cliff with mtn-climbing ropes and gear
#36AuthorPeter <us>02 May 02, 05:34
Comment
Fingerspitzengefühl?
#37Authorjmt08 May 02, 10:49
Comment
Das gehört nur am Rande hierher:
Aber "undercover arbeiten" heißt in Schweden.
"wallrafffen"
#38AuthorRainer10 May 02, 13:48
Comment
Wanderlust
#39AuthorMay01 Jun 02, 21:25
Comment
i've got one! i've got one!
verboten -- i've seen it used several times fairly recently, meaning either 'taboo', ironically: as if it had been imposed from above, or meaning banned, forbidden, often i think ironically -- the german distances the speaker from sharing the sentiment.
#40Authoralex02 Jun 02, 19:00
Comment
Re: Kevin's comment (April, the 17th) on 'iceberg' (referring to Mirriam-Webster's dictionairy - also not precise) is partly wrong. The Danish language knows the word 'bjerg' for 'mountain' and not the word 'berg'. Only the Norgwegian uses sometimes the word 'berg', but 'fjell' is the standard translation. For 'hill' in english is 'bakke' used in both languages.
#41AuthorJosef Mahrle03 Jun 02, 10:17
Comment
One of Mark Knopfler's recent songs is titled "Wanderlust". A word that is more or less out of fashion in German for ages
#42AuthorMichael03 Jun 02, 16:52
Comment
Verfremdung by Bertolt Brecht is used in theatrical terms as distancing or alienating an audience.
#43Authorjo09 Jun 02, 21:15
Comment
Does Zugzwang count? Is it just used in chess?
#44AuthorJB10 Jun 02, 10:24
Comment
Does Zugzwang count? Is it just used in chess?
#45AuthorJB10 Jun 02, 10:24
Comment
In the movie "10 things I hate about you", the headmistress mentions in her novel a 'bratwurst', tho she doesn't mean sth. to eat. ;-)))) Funny use for the word 'bratwurst'. ;-)))
#46Author10 Jun 02, 13:43
Comment
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A596487
A little bit of topic, because it's more the kind of false friends, but very entertaining. It's about words, whose spelling are equal in, but whose meanings are almost totaly different in both languages.
#47AuthorNanna10 Jun 02, 13:55
Comment
doppelgaenger
#48AuthorGuillermo10 Jun 02, 15:32
Comment
In heard a few times the word 'autobahn' instead of 'highway', but I'm not sure if it'
s in general use. And nobody mentioned 'Schweinehund', I read it always in the comics ;-))
#49AuthorD. Schäpke11 Jun 02, 09:39
Comment
Gesundheit, when someone sneezes.
#50Authormonika12 Jun 02, 17:08
Comment
Sehr interessante Diskussion! Und ich dachte immer, die Manie, fremdsprachliche Wörter in die eigene Sprache einzugliedern, wie wir sie in Deutschland haben (und wie es in Frankfreich teilweise auch ist), sei dem Englischen/Amerikanischen fremd!Thanks for this lesson!
#51AuthorSimone18 Jun 02, 10:15
Comment
Stein - how could I forget to mention this nice German word which is used by so many tourists (Americans in particular), for example, to ask for one of those ugly German beer mugs. The other day I was queueing in a shop behind an American couple who asked for a "Stein". The shop assistant looked at them puzzled and said "Vat? You vant to buy a Schtein?" At which point I offered to help and kindly tried to explain what kind of "Stein" the couple were after. The shop didn't sell them so I sent them to Heidelberg. Best place for this kind of stuff.
Does anybody know why "Steins" are so popular with the tourists? They are hardly standard items in German households...
#53AuthorDoris L18 Jun 02, 15:08
Comment
Your American tourists are typically looking for a 'Bierstein'. To my knowledge that is a 'Bierkrug aus Steingut' or a 'Masskrug'. Next time send them to Munich/Muenchen. There are many shops there who cater to exactly that kind of customers :-) I think since this a very bavarian thing and many tourists don't understand that Germany does not equal Bavaria they think it is typically German, like cowboy boots are typical for America, but in reality more Texan.
#54AuthorAGB18 Jun 02, 23:38
Comment
Some additional information: Do not ask for Bierstein. That really does exist in German. It's hard to explain it in English, but I will try: Bierstein is a kind of firm sedimentation in the beer tap and in the cooling system the beer wents through in a bar. AFAIK it can cause some trouble such as leakage and reduction of the flow rate, so it is absolutely unwanted. It is compareable to calcination (?) in your water tap. For more information, look up www.zapfhahn.de and consult "Dr. Zapfhahn".
The stone might come from the Steingut (stoneware) our beer mugs are made of, as AGB already said.
#55AuthorK.S.19 Jun 02, 13:05
Comment
Ein "Stein" ist ein 1-Liter-Glas voll mit Bier, unabhängig von der Machart. Ein "Stiefel" ist ein 5-Liter-Glas. Zumindest in der Westpfalz kann man einen Stein oder einen Stiefel Bier bestellen und zwar nicht in der Stadt bei den Schicki-Mickis, sondern nur in richtig abgestürzten Bierspelunken, wie z.B. im Vereinsheim des örtlichen Sportvereins, oder gleich auf dem Dorf, dort wo noch richtig Bier gesoffen wird.
#56Authoranonymus19 Jun 02, 16:53
Comment
Another war-related word I just came across:

to strafe

"The sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Friday that two Air National Guard pilots deployed from a U.S. base in Kuwait were on a nighttime patrol over a recognized training area near the southern Afghan city of Kandahar and reported being threatened by groundfire. They asked for permission to strafe the area with their aircraft's 20 mm guns but were denied, officials said." (www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/central/04/22/ret.friendly.fire/)
#57AuthorBF20 Jun 02, 12:18
Comment
(Being a user of a special electronic gadget called Newton:) After reading the lastNewton-Messagepad-Mailing-Lists from www.newtontalk.net i fell that

Stammtisch

is becoming the next "loan-word" coming from german to english and is going to influential:

"Subject: Re: [NTLK] AW: AW: 28 2100s!
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:44:47 +0200

>>Okay, we will see next stammtisch then. If he carries a heap of newts to
>>the garden, he must be the one.
>>
>>Matze
>>
>What is stammtisch?
>
>barb

"Stammtisch" is that institution peculiar to Germany, where a certain group of people reserve a table at a local pub/restaurant for meeting
regularly to drink beer, discuss politics, and play cards (usually in that order). It sometimes also carries the negative connotation of being
a major source of reactionary ideology in Germany, since its members are usually made up of conservative men who believe that the views expressed under the influence of alcohol are eternal truths. (Germans being the seekers of "eternal truths".) The best historical example of this is probably the Bierhaus Putsch (=coup attempt) in Munich in 1923 during which Hitler first tried to acceed to power by force, taking advantage of his followers organized around "Stammtische".

The NUG (Newton User Group) in Düsseldorf, Germany of course shares none of these traditions.

If we do talk about politics, it's about why Apple killed the Newt. ;-)

Chris Searles (curious to see how Matze will define "Stammtisch")"

Also do a google-search on "Stammtisch" and you will see how commonly it is used in english context. And may I add: neither does the Munich Newton User Group, Germany share any of these traditions.
Regards

Hagen
(smelling the Isar)
#58AuthorHagen Lang21 Jun 02, 00:31
Comment
And, unfortunately: "Deutschland over alles" - the sort of headline which THE SUN likes (I saw it after one of the EU summits). Quite a strange language mix, probably because there was no "ü" available on the keyboard.
#59AuthorMichael21 Jun 02, 17:41
Comment
Ha! found another one:
Hinterland. I am studying architecture in glasgow and a student used that term in the descrption of her final thesis. It refered to the land lying beyond the focussed-on area.
#60Authorbob21 Jun 02, 18:26
Comment
Correctamundo- hinterland also crops up in a Suede song:
"Oh we take the train
Through the winter hinterlands and garage bands"
#61AuthorDoris L21 Jun 02, 18:38
Comment
Correctamundo, bob. Know the Suede song?
...Oh we take the train
Through the winter hinterlands and garage bands...
#62AuthorDoris L21 Jun 02, 21:00
Comment
The double post is not my fault - I swear I'm innocent. I look like a n00b...
#63AuthorDoris 21 Jun 02, 21:01
Comment
@ Doris
Aber das ist doch kein doppeltes Posting: einmal sind Gänsefüßchen am Schluß, einmal drei Punkte.
Wer macht denn sowas??
#64Author21 Jun 02, 22:37
Comment
So far [uncensored]:

abseil, Angst, autobahn, Bierstein, bildungsroman, Blitz, Blitzkrieg, bratwurst, bremsstrahlung, Brennschluss, dachshund, doppelgaenger, eigenfunction, eigenvalue, ersatz, fahrvergnuegen, gedankenexperiment, gegenschein, gemütlichkeit, Gesamtkunstwerk, gestalt, gesundheit, Götterdämmerung, heiligenschein, Hinterland, http://www.GermanEnglishWords.com/, iceberg, kaputt, kindergarten, knockwurst, kohlrabi, kuchen, kugelblitz, Kulturkampf, KZ-lager, Leitmotiv, lied , liverwurst, Luftwaffe, Müesli, Nazi, Panzer, Platzangst, poltergeist, Pretzel, Programmusik, realpolitik, rottweiler, rucksack, sauerbraten, sauerkraut, schadenfreude, Schadenfreude, Schnaps, Schnauzer, schnitzel, Schweinehund, sitz-bath, spiel, Stammtisch, Stein, strafe, verboten, Verfremdung, volksgeist, Waldsterben, Wanderlust, Weltanschauung, weltschmerz, wunderkind, zeitgeist, Zugzwang.

brought to you as a public service, by...
#65AuthorPeter &lt;us&gt;22 Jun 02, 04:18
Comment
A tricky one:

"Ich bin ein Berliner"

This is quoted in American newspapers without translation.
#66AuthorPeter22 Jun 02, 04:20
Comment
Seeing that I may have started the longest thread ever, I'd like to thank all the other bored, yet interested souls out there.

A big shout-out goes to Peter, who not only went through and collected all the words, but also alphebetized them(!). Damn he has a lot of free time on his hands....
#67AuthorRoy24 Jun 02, 22:18
Comment
What free time? The computer sorted 'em... (MSWord table)
#68AuthorPeter25 Jun 02, 06:11
Comment
Off topic, aber einer noch dran:
Englische Wortkreation die in Florida (viele deutsche Rentner) bekannt ist und tatsaechlich auch verstanden wird:
Mirror Eggs :-))
#69AuthorBons26 Jun 02, 08:50
Comment
"übergeek": found in this context --- "Become the cornerstone of your society, the most "hot" person on this earth, the übergeek known just as "the übergeek" for all, the person for whom the people cheer when entering the room, the person that always can skip the queues, the person whom is told "right this way, your money is no good in here"!
#70AuthorGooglefreak26 Jun 02, 21:58
Comment
You did not yet mention "Schatz" (darling). I think it is used with this meaning in English.

@Hagen: You forgot that the Stammtisch people also talk about girls, always ;-))
#71AuthorMarkus27 Jun 02, 13:43
Comment
and the food:
Frankfurter
Hamburger
#72AuthorStephan27 Jun 02, 13:45
Comment
festschrift
#73Authorstefan &lt;at&gt;27 Jun 02, 15:36
Comment
Schatz is not used in non-German speaking areas of the US that I'm aware of. For one thing, a monolingual would hear this as "shots" and think you're either talking about whisky or firearms, not exactly what you want to call your sweetie-pie!
#74AuthorPeter29 Jun 02, 06:08
Comment
another addition: i stumbled across "the ding an sich" while reading dan simmon's hyperion novel.
#75AuthorMark29 Jun 02, 11:45
Comment
föhn n. (also foehn)
1 a hot southerly wind on the northern slopes of the Alps.
2 a warm dry wind on the lee side of mountains.[G, ult. f. L Favonius mild west wind]

The Oxford English Reference Dictionary, © Oxford University Press 1996

#76Author29 Jun 02, 13:17
Comment
@Peter: interesting last comment of yours -- doesn't "Schatz" in English rhyme with "cats" (which, as we know, is not pronounced "kätz") ??
#77AuthorGhol- ‹GB›01 Jul 02, 09:03
Comment
Sprachgefühl - used in linguistics, same meaning
Hefeweizen beer ... (among other beer/alcohol words...)
#78AuthorBrandon01 Jul 02, 13:50
Comment
Just came across "Schmaltz". But I fear it came into English via Yiddish, so won't fulfill Roy's initial criterion. Anyone know for sure?

I was told earlier that the prime minister wanted to get out and meet "real people" and not just do photo calls but this was a gold- plated photo call with whistles, bells and schmaltz laid on with a trowel.
#79AuthorStefan01 Jul 02, 21:05
Comment
Should have checked M-W initially, but "Schmaltz" came from Yiddish:

Main Entry: schmaltz
Variant(s): also schmalz /'shmolts, 'shmälts/
Function: noun
Etymology: Yiddish shmalts, literally, rendered fat, from Middle High German smalz; akin to Old High German smelzan to melt -- more at SMELT
Date: 1935
1 : sentimental or florid music or art
2 : SENTIMENTALITY
[http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=Schmaltz ]
#80AuthorStefan01 Jul 02, 21:43
Comment
Ghol--don't know how to answer your question. Since the word does not exist in AE, there is no pronunciation for it, so it doesn't rhyme with anything.

But based on the model of foreign language borrowing in AE, I would predict it would be pronounced "shots". We usually try to pronounce imports using the closest AE phoneme possible, so "laissez-faire" is /less-say fair/ and not /less-sez/, Schadenfreude is /shodden-froiduh/ and not /shayden../ and so on. If we don't have the sound (schõn) then we take the closest approximation: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/4310/dankeshn.wav
#81AuthorPeter &lt;us&gt;02 Jul 02, 05:35
Comment
Link didn't work. Go to this page http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/4310/moviesound.html then click on Dankeshein.
#82AuthorPeter02 Jul 02, 05:37
Comment
Raster
#83AuthorSchratzl &lt;de&gt;05 Jul 02, 09:47
Comment
zeitgeist. recently you read in australian papers "über" oder "uber" as a trendy superlativ. and i came across "meister" instead
of master.
#84Authordoro07 Jul 02, 04:51
Comment
Roy and Peter, bear in mind that "abseilen" is often used in the context of to sneak out of sth., for example if you want to leave a boring party, you would desperately look for a way to "abseilen" yourself. ("Ich würde mich gerne abseilen...")

Also: abseilen meaning to buzz off, abscond.
#85AuthorRalf09 Jul 02, 12:59
Comment
How about "Handy".
I heard rumours that this German, but English sounding word is making its way into the English language. Any comments about this.
(BTW "Handy" is German for mobile/cellular phone)
#86AuthorUlrich09 Jul 02, 18:04
Comment
knapsack - Knappsack, Rucksack
#87Authordata15 Jul 02, 19:17
Comment
bratwurst, liebfraumilch
#88Authordata15 Jul 02, 19:18
Comment
Ich wohne im Mittleren Westen, und lese in der Zeitung immer wieder, daß irgendein Club einlädt zum "coffee clutch". Nee, hat überhaupt nichts mit Kupplung (clutch) zu tun, aber sehr viel mit dem guten alten Kaffee-Klatsch.
#89AuthorHans Wolff31 Jul 02, 04:58
Comment
Slightly modfied, but still recognizable: Politburo.
#90AuthorStefan02 Aug 02, 10:06
Comment
What about the recently so overused Angst (as in Angst-ridden etc.) (not new by the way - it was first used by George Eliot as early as 1849) (still only used in psychological context)
same applies to the prefix über

Other ones are Katzenjammer, Zwieback (for rusk), foehn (meteol.), Kitsch and in the context of the introduction of the Euro the LA Times used the word "Schlafmünzen" (6/5/01) although it probably won't catch on
#91Authorrammie02 Aug 02, 15:02
Comment
Hatten wir schon 'Fahrvergnügen' (Fahrvergnugen)
Oder die Silbe Über (Uber).
As in Ubergamer, Ubergeek .. lately heard in recent Hollywood movies. Seems to be common nowadays.
Aside from that basicly everything which can not easily be translated, because a word is 'missing' in the language. Angst would be an example and there's tons more, Schadenfreude ...
#92AuthorSven07 Aug 02, 00:50
Comment
Ja Sven, das hatten wir ALLES schon.
Kannst Du bitte das naechste Mal selber nachschauen?
#93AuthorOL07 Aug 02, 01:09
Comment
Da läuft gerade eine verwandte Diskussion auf heise.de (wen's interessiert): http://www.heise.de/newsticker/foren/go.shtml?read=1&msg_id=2718981&foru...
#94AuthorH00519 Dec 02, 00:07
Comment
Was ist 'liebfraumilch'???

BTW: Krummholz (oder Krumholz?) ist ein Fachbegriff fuer die 'krumme' Vegetation in den Bergen kurz unterhalb der Baumgrenze...
eigenvector
#95AuthorFiffi19 Dec 02, 00:58
Comment
@Fiffi: Liebfraumilch ist so ziemlich der einzige deutsche Wein, den du in England bekommst, aber den dafür an jeder Straßenecke. Schmeckt wie Riesling mit zwei Pfund Puderzucker.
#96Authorrob-by (TAFKAR)19 Dec 02, 01:13
Comment
kaffeklatsch in dieser Version bei Tom Clancy
Ansatz in der Mathematik
#97Authorsb19 Dec 02, 02:44
Comment
rum-verschnitt
stuka
#98Authordg20 Dec 02, 20:52
Comment
Hab hier noch nicht teilgenommen, bin aber auf eine Sammlung solcher Wörter gestoßen und will sie nicht vorenthalten:
http://www-lib.iupui.edu/kade/nameword/apend-d.html
Es finden sich da einige Wörter (hausfrau, streusel, meerschaum und andere) die vieleicht noch in Roys Liste aufgenommen werden können.
#99AuthorAKo31 Dec 02, 11:55
Comment
to schuss, to wedel (skiing context)
Mensch ("he's a real mensch" - probably from Yiddish)
Uebermensch (for Nietzsche fans)
#100Authordg03 Jan 03, 03:20
Comment
just thought of another one:
Aufhebung(for Hegel fans)
Not a word you hear every day on the streets!
#101Authordg03 Jan 03, 04:29
Comment
Gehört nicht hierher, aber ich habe keine Lust zum Arbeiten: Das russische Wort &#1073;&#1091;&#1090;&#1077;&#1088;&#1073;&#1088;&#1086;&#1076; spricht man aus wie "Butterbrot" und heisst auch das!
#102AuthorBeat03 Jan 03, 10:32
Comment
Oeuf, oeuf, das sieht ja toll aus. Hier noch der Link zu den kyrillischen Buchstaben: http://www.aks-kronberg.de/coremedia/3_unterricht/5_wahlpflichtunterricht/
#103AuthorBeat03 Jan 03, 10:34
Comment
Geländewagen- one of the German automakers (i forget which) has been advertising their SUVs using this word - perhaps they are trying to hop on the 'Fahrvergnügen'-bandwagon.

oeuf oeuf - das klingt eher nach französisch als russisch ;-)
#104Authordg07 Jan 03, 01:25
Comment
Hier gibt's nocht mehr ungenannte Wörter für Roys Liste:
http://mcmbednarek.tripod.com/germanenglish.htm
#105AuthorAKo07 Jan 03, 06:58
Comment
"to schuss" spricht man aber (deutsche Lautsprache) "[schuesch]" aus...
#106AuthorLukas07 Jan 03, 14:48
Comment
"oeuf oeuf" ist mir so rausgerutscht... sollte natürliche "egg egg" heissen. ;-))
#107AuthorBeat07 Jan 03, 17:53
Comment
what about still (eng.) translated as still, unbewegt (ger)? Does it counts?
#108AuthorAngi10 Jan 03, 17:33
Comment
just came across "rinderpest" yesterday: contagious cattle disease. I wonder if "schweinepest" has made its way to the UK or to the States?
#109Authorsmeck28 Jan 03, 10:53
Comment
This works better spoken than written, so have someone read it to you (or pretend you're hearing it):

The Bavarian guy was complaining to his schoolfriend about what a difficult language English is to learn, what with all the words meaning something completely different than what you would expect.

"Es ist schrecklich!" sagt er.
"'Ich' ist 'I'.
Aber 'Ei' ist 'egg',
und 'Eck' ist 'corner',
und Koaner ist 'nobody!!"'

#110AuthorPeter &lt;us&gt;30 Jan 03, 06:34
Comment
sitzmark: < a depression left in the snow by a skier falling backward >

On Jan. 17, this was Merriam-Webster Online's "Word of the Day".

(Okay, okay - it might not be a "real" German word (at least not to my knowledge - I'm not an active skier); but still I think it's a nice one and deserves being mentioned here.
#111Authorwoody30 Jan 03, 10:22
Comment
oh, noch ein hübsches, das vielleicht sogar noch in irgendeinem dialekt exisitiert: mangel, mangel-wurzel = runkel-, futterrübe. hatte schon jemand "kohlrabi"??
#112Authorsmeck30 Jan 03, 10:31
Comment
Came across the word "Ur" -- in a quote from "No Mercy: A Journey to the Heart of the Congo" by Redmond O'Hanlon.
"They certainly looked like Ur-bats, the original bats, the bats of prehistory, their slow, labored flapping interspersed with ungainly glides, and indeed perhaps they were a species of leaf-nosed bat, not much altered from their fossil ancestors of sixty million years ago and probably earlier -- seventy to 100 million years ago -- early enough to have been catching insects in the evening over a shallow lake full of dinosaurs."
#113AuthorGhol- ‹GB›04 Feb 03, 18:48
Comment
smeck, wo wir schon beim Gemuese sind: Vor ein paar Tagen stand ein Artikel ueber "kartoffel-kanonen" in der Times, wo genau dieses Wort verwendet wurde. Es ging um in Deutschland zunehmend verbreitete aus Abflussrohren selbstgebaute Schusswaffen, bei denen Kartoffeln als Geschosse dienen.

Mal sehen, ob sich dieses Wort im anglo-amerikanischen Raum etablieren kann... ;o)
#114AuthorUho &lt;de&gt;04 Feb 03, 19:03
Comment
Schatz may not be common but Schatzy (pronounced shahtsee) is most definetely recognized by all military who were once stationed in Germany!
#115AuthorSally04 Feb 03, 23:08
Comment
schleppen !
#116Authorkc05 Feb 03, 01:03
Comment
#117AuthorUH05 Feb 03, 01:15
Comment
Zugzwang (findet sich in der engl. Schachliteratur)

#118AuthorHarry05 Feb 03, 07:22
Comment
Fahrvergnuegen
#119AuthorHarry05 Feb 03, 07:23
Comment
@Lukas: mit 'schuss' war nicht die Verabschiedung 'Tschüß' gemeint, sondern die schnelle Talfahrt auf Skiern.

'He schuss (schusse) to tal' -> 'Er fuhr im Schuß/in Schußfahrt zu Tal'.

Oh, das 'tal' ist auch übernommen worden!
#120AuthorHarald S05 Feb 03, 08:27
Comment
@kc: schleppen is Yiddish.
#121AuthorFrank05 Feb 03, 09:14
Comment
aaaber, Harald S, auch wenn wir es "schuss" aussprechen, die Amerikaner meinen, wir wuerden "schuess" sagen (beides deutsche Lautsprache). Ich beziehe mich ausdruecklich auf Skivokabular!
#122AuthorLukas06 Feb 03, 03:35
Comment
NAZI
Bunker
Wolf
Pumpernickel
Marzipan
Hering
"Ich bin ein Berliner" (Kennedy)
Schnaps
Prost
#123Authorxyz06 Feb 03, 15:07
Comment
Sauerkraut

auch Kraut("die Krauts")(ähnlich dem engl."bosh")
= negative for Germans

ähnlich dem deutschen "Ami" ("die Amis")= oft negative for Americans
#124Authorxyz06 Feb 03, 21:29
Comment
Hi,
this is my first post on here. I find those topics very interesting, since I'm Swiss (four official languages in Switzerland) and spent one school semester in the US, in Alabama to be exact.

The Swiss-German word "Müesli" is very rarely correctly copied, most people write (and says) "Müsli" or "Musli". If you want to eat real Müesli, don't get one that says "Müsli" on the package... get the one made by Familia ;)

In Math class, we went to a hospital to have a look at a device that destroys renal calculi with shock waves, it uses an ellipse... but let me come to the point ;)
The doctor said that there were two words that went from German to English without modifications (I don't agree, BTW), those were "Kindergarten" and "Steinstrasse". Never heard of the second one? I had neither!
"Steinstrasse" means that the renal calculi go down the ureter... very painful, he said.

LEO, may you add the word "Steinstrasse" to your system now?

PS: Please do a search before replying, most words have been named several times.
#125AuthorH-Trainer06 Feb 03, 22:02
Comment
Putsch
#126Authorxyz07 Feb 03, 13:13
Comment
What about 'Geisterfahrer'? Or is it only BE?
#127AuthorTscheild18 Feb 03, 09:43
Comment
Dummkopf
is another you hear from time to time
#128Authorxyz18 Feb 03, 14:23
Comment
oh yes. why they actually picked "dummkopf" (pronounced "dooom-koff") - I don't know. I went to an International School for some years, and we had American schoolbus-monitors (teenagers). how often did we hear "dooom-koff" when they meant to show the Germanskis how to behave prrroperly....
#129Authorsmeck18 Feb 03, 14:44
Comment
I think you have to differentiate between words that may be used by someone once in their lifetime or in some kind of research project or art-house newspaper as opposed to words in common usage.

Try saying many of the words in the above posts to Brits and you'll get a >95% response rate of "What?". Other than some types of dog, food/derogatory names for Germans, some science/maths terms, mental conditions, types of bags, and anything to do with the War, nobody will have a clue...except for Kindergarden. ;-)

Dachshund, Rottweiler, Kraut, (Beer)stein, Rucksack, Kaputt, Panzer, Blitz/Blitzkrieg, Achtung, Zeppelin, Nazi, Messerschmitt, Schweinehund, Bunker... OK

Fahrvergnuegen, Gedankenexperiment, Bremsstrahlung, Gemütlichkeit, Geisterfahrer... What?

#130AuthorPuzzledBrit18 Feb 03, 14:46
Comment
watch out on 'Gemütlichkeit':anecdotal and my own evidence have taught me that Gemütlichkeit lasts only as long as they(Germans) don't know you're not a foreigner at 'their' Stammtisch...

And nobody knows what Gemütlichkeit really is.
#131Authorxyz18 Feb 03, 15:10
Comment
Unser Englischlehrer in der Schule hat uns damals erklärt, dass es keinen englischen Begriff für 'Geisterfahrer' gibt. Und da er selbst Engländer ist, dachte ich eigentlich, es würde stimmen... Und wenn man 'Geisterfahrer' hier bei LEO eingibt, bekommt man auch keine Übersetzung sondern nur eine englische Erklärung. Und in all meinen anderen Wörterbüchern stehen total unterschiedliche Begriffe drin oder wieder nur Erklärungen. Also wenn die Engländer nicht das deutsche Wort verstehen, wie ist denn dann die korrekte Übersetzung? Oder wird der Begriff immer nur erklärt?
#132AuthorTscheild18 Feb 03, 15:30
Comment
Hatten wir die schon?
Luftwaffe, Wehrmacht, Rucksack
Und: Man verwendet nicht "schleppen" sondern "to shlepp" or "to schlepp" and "I'm not your shlepp" wenn man was fuer den anderen nicht tragen mag. ;-) (Mein Holder sagt das immer, weiss gar nicht warum.)
#133AuthorGaby aus Orlando18 Feb 03, 17:00
Comment
Bin vor ein paar Wochen über "mittelbare drittwirkung" gestolpert...
#134AuthorIngmar18 Feb 03, 18:09
Comment
Ist ja eigentlich nett, dass sie so viele Woerte aus dem Deutschen verwenden. Bezweifle nur stark, dass die Guten auch VERSTEHEN was sie sagen oder einfach nur "g'scheit daher reden"! ;-)
#135AuthorGaby aus Orlando18 Feb 03, 19:09
Comment
"Schlieren"
wird in Physik/Chemie verwendet wie im Deutschen auch (z.B. in "Schlierenfotografie")
habe es gelegentlich auch im Englischen grossgeschrieben gesehen.
#136AuthorSonngard21 Feb 03, 14:50
Comment
@Gaby aus Orlando: Das ist doch andersrum genauso. Wer von den Leuten, die bei uns mit die tollen englischen Berufsbezeichnungen haben, weiß denn schon, was er eigentlich ist? ;-)
#137Authorrob-by21 Feb 03, 14:59
Comment
I hear quite a few college kids using "Scheisse!" . Can we say, _Lola Rennt_ influence?
#138AuthorMadeline21 Feb 03, 16:24
Comment
Hatten wir "Torschlusspanik" schon? (ein wunderbares Wort, oder?)
#139AuthorCyprinius22 Feb 03, 14:13
Comment
For easier reference, here is the complete sorted list:

Abseil, Achtung, Angst, Aufhebung, Autobahn, Bierstein/(Beer)stein, bildungsroman, Blitz, Blitzkrieg, bratwurst, bremsstrahlung, Brennschluss, Bunker, coffee clutch, dachshund, doppelgaenger, Dummkopf, eigenfunction, Eigenvalue, Eigenvector, Ersatz, fahrvergnuegen, Festschrift, Foehn, Frankfurter, gedankenexperiment, gegenschein, Geisterfahrer, Geländewagen, gemütlichkeit, Gesamtkunstwerk, Gestalt, Gesundheit, Götterdämmerung, Hamburger, Handy, Hausfrau, Hefeweizen beer, heiligenschein, Hering, Hinterland, http://mcmbednarek.tripod.com/germanenglish.htm,http://www.GermanEnglishWords.com/,http://www-lib.iupui.edu/kade/nameword/apend-d.html, Iceberg, Ich bin ein Berliner, kaffeklatsch, Kaputt, kartoffel-kanonen, Katzenjammer, kindergarten, Kitsch, Knapsack, knockwurst, kohlrabi, Kraut, Krummholz (oder Krumholz?), kuchen, kugelblitz, Kulturkampf, KZ-lager, Leitmotiv, liebfraumilch, lied, liverwurst, Luftwaffe, mangel, mangel-wurzel, Marzipan, meerschaum, meister, Mensch, Messerschmitt, mittelbare drittwirkung, Müesli, Nazi, Panzer, Platzangst, Politburo, poltergeist, Pretzel, Programmusik, Prost, Pumpernickel, Putsch, Raster, realpolitik, rinderpest, rottweiler, rucksack, rum-verschnitt, sauerbraten, sauerkraut, schadenfreude, Schatz, Schatzy, Scheisse, Schlafmünzen, schleppen / to schlep (to shlepp), Schlieren, Schmaltz, Schnaps, Schnauzer, schnitzel, schuss, Schweinehund, sitz-bath, sitzmark, spiel, Sprachgefühl, Stammtisch, Stein, Steinstrasse, Strafe, Streusel, stuka , the ding an sich, Torschlusspanik, uber-/über-, Übergeek, Uebermensch, Ur-, Verboten, Verfremdung, volksgeist, Waldsterben, Wanderlust, Wedel, Wehrmacht, Weltanschauung, weltschmerz, Wolf, wunderkind, Zeitgeist, Zeppelin, Zugunruhe, Zugzwang, Zwieback
#140AuthorSK25 Feb 03, 10:54
Comment
fräulein (with 'ä')
#141AuthorBernd/Boston07 Jun 03, 03:19
Comment
Politbüro gilt NICHT, da russisches Lehnwort (und "Büro" stammt übrigens vom französischen); es gab mal eine Zeit, als die Russen sehr viele deutsche Wörter importiert haben ("Butterbrot" ist ja schon erwähnt worden; es gibt da z.B. noch Kulmanna für Zeichenmaschine, nach dem inzwischen pleite gegangenen deutschen Hersteller)

Aber ich habe zum Ausgleich ein Neues:
Ostpolitik - Gibt's seit den Tagen von Willy Brandt (kann sich noch jemand an den erinnern ???)

#142Authornordheidebernie07 Jun 03, 19:45
Comment
lebensraum [AHD]
geländewagen "SUV"
geländesprung [AHD] ski jump made from a crouching position ...
Kriss Kringle [AHD] Alteration of Christkindl - appears as Santa Claus
Doberman(n) pinscher
affenpinscher
Weimaraner
alpenglow (partial translation of Alpenglühen)
Sturm und Drang [AHD]
ratskeller
spiegeleisen [alloy, 15% manganese]
Jägermeister [bumpersticker: I jägermeistered]

#143AuthorHajo08 Jun 03, 04:42
Comment
I found recently in a book the expression "schlepping"... "schlepping around with this guy with his two black eyes".

And Spotlight, this German magazine for learners of the English language, mentioned "Mittelstand"
#144AuthorGalad (de)08 Jun 03, 10:29
Comment
Gehoert vielleicht nicht hierher, aber gestern in einer amerikanischen Zeitschriftenanzeige gelesen, wortwoertlich:

Über Auto - Der Neu Lexus RX330 - Fasstensietbeltz! Willkommen Zu Der Wunderbar Wagen. Stuttgart nach Munich in der neu Lexus RX 330: Achtung Deutschland: As a German automotive journalist I have always taken our leadership for granted, but not anymore. - Mätthias Muench

Das alles soll wohl witzig gemeint sein!
#145Authormr.x09 Jun 03, 01:54
Comment
Zu dem Eintrag vom Sat Jun 29 14:17:02 2002

"föhn n. (also foehn)
1 a hot southerly wind on the northern slopes of the Alps.
2 a warm dry wind on the lee side of mountains"

- noch eine Ergänzung:

Die Schreibweise Föhn ist zwingend. Dient der Unterscheidung zum Fön = Haar-Fön (hair-dryer). Wird dIESER Fön im Englischen auch auf deutsch mit Fön verwendet oder ausschließlich in der Übersetzung hair-dryer?

Besides - jeder kann sich glücklich schätzen, der nicht unter dem Föhn zu leiden hat. Abgesehen davon, dass man zwar einen tollen Blick ins Gebirge hat, werden die Leute vor allem in München bei dieser Wetterlage äußerst gereizt und aggressiv.
Da schlägt dann auch der Bayerische "Grant" (bzw. Grandd) voll durch (grantig/granddi = übel gelaunt, siehe Langenscheidt Lilliput Bairisch). Der Bayer fängt bei diesem Wetter an zu granddln, d.h. er beginnt 's Granddln (das Granteln), sprich: er verfällt in eine vermeintlich muffige Schweigsamkeit (kann auch Strategie sein, um mit dem Weibe im Moment nicht reden zu müssen).

Man spricht ihn dann besser nicht an ...
#146AuthorJutta09 Jun 03, 12:58
Comment
und "abseilen" wird nicht nur als technischer Begriff im Sinne von "to rappel / to rope down" verwendet, sondern auch als Hinweis, dass man unbemerkt verschwinden will "ich seil mich ab" (z.B. von einer Geburtstagsfeier mit all den lieben Verwandten oder von einer öden Party) oder als eher verächtliche Feststellung, dass sich jemand klammheimlich davongemacht / vom Acker gemacht hat: "Der Feigling hat sich abgeseilt".
#147AuthorJutta09 Jun 03, 13:13
Comment
Justa a website with examples of using german words in american newspapers: http://members.uia.net/alsc/pages/geinen.html
#148AuthorGrischa10 Jun 03, 07:31
Comment
Irgendwo (UK?) hab ich ein Warnschild gesehen: 'Abseilers at work' - gemeint war die Warnung vor herabfliegenden Teilen, weil Dachdecker an der Arbeit waren.
#149AuthorHarald S12 Jun 03, 23:33
Comment
I am pretty sure I heard "dreck" yesterday evening on TV, talking about the squalid poverty some people were living in
#150AuthorGhol ‹GB›13 Jun 03, 08:10
Comment
@Ulrich, handy: Ein Freund aus Wales hat das Word 'handy' für 'mobile phone' tatsächlich in einem englischen Gespräch verwendet. Er sagte, er hätte sich hier in Austria schon so daran gewöhnt.

Das ist natürlich keineswegs ein Beleg dafür, daß das 'handy' wirklich den englischen Sprachraum eindringt. Kann jemand dazu etwas sagen?
#151Authorminjong13 Jun 03, 16:51
Comment
I'm sure I have read this during World Cup 2002: the German national football team were referred to as the "Mannschaft team", which is quite redundant but not entirely incorrect.

Außerdem, they sometimes call the German League with its original name, Bundesliga. So if these words count...
#152AuthorGor-Gor13 Jun 03, 18:11
Comment
Ghol, minjong: 'dreck' definitely, 'Handy' never.

An additional point: some of the words mentioned have entered English via Yiddish, but I guess that still counts a point for German.

Finally, for those of you who are not native English speakers and don't have a sense of how widespread or rare some of these words and phrases are, for better or worse here is a list of all the words mentioned in the 2003-02-25 post that I have never seen used in English. This doesn't mean I don't understand the German mind you (though some of them I don't)--only that I've never encountered them in running English text. This of course may only go to prove my ignorance, so take this list for what it's worth:

Aufhebung, coffee clutch, Festschrift, Geisterfahrer, Geländewagen, Gesamtkunstwerk, Handy, Hefeweizen, Hering, kartoffel-kanonen, Krummholz, kugelblitz, mangel, mangel-wurzel, mittelbare drittwirkung, Platzangst, Programmusik, rinderpest, rum-verschnitt, Schatzy, Schlafmünzen, Schlieren, Steinstrasse, Strafe, Streusel, stuka, Torschlusspanik, Verfremdung, volksgeist, Waldsterben, Wedel, Zugunruhe.
#153AuthorPeter &lt;us&gt;19 Jun 03, 04:08
Comment
Oh, Peter, you really should know Hefeweizen. ;-)) A good microbrewery (or should I say brew-fest? ;-) ) should make it (check Pyramid in Berkeley for example). And how about some nice apple-streusel going with it? ;-)

P.S.: If you're interested in meeting other LEOs, please check: http://www.leo.org/cgi-bin/dict/forum/forum.cgi?action=show&sort_order=&...
#154AuthorNite Mite19 Jun 03, 06:10
Comment
Wednesday's comics section of the Boston Globe contained even two examples (both already mentioned):

Glockenspiel
http://www.ucomics.com/stonesoup/2003/06/18/

Schadenfreude
http://www.ucomics.com/sylvia/2003/06/18/

#155AuthorBernd/Boston20 Jun 03, 21:42
Comment
And there is of course the famous "blinkenlights" sign, which was allegedly found in many computer rooms in the 1960s.

One version is:

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS!
Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.
#156AuthorBernd/Boston20 Jun 03, 21:49
Comment
LOL !

There's a related sign that made its rounds:

ATTENTION!
This room is full bis unner die deck mit de dollste elektrische un vollelektronische Anlaache. Fingergrabbling and pressing knoepkes on the kompjuders is allowed for die experts only. So all the lefthanders stayaway and do not disturben the brainstorming from here working intelligencies.

Die Exberde.

Nice Denglish anyway :-)
#157AuthorHarald S21 Jun 03, 01:41
Comment
von 'Blinkenlights' gibts auch ne modernere Version:
( http://jamesthornton.com/fun/blinkenlights.html )

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSKEEPERS!
Das Internet is nicht fuer gefingerclicken und giffengrabben. Ist easy droppenpacket der routers und overloaden der backbone mit der spammen und der me-tooen. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das mausklicken sichtseeren keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das cursorblinken.
#158AuthorHarald S21 Jun 03, 21:44
Comment
@Peter - I learned about 'Torschlusspanik' a few years ago when it was used in 'The Economist', albeit in italics and with a definition. I was discussing about german words penetrating english recently with a colleague in Hamburg and was curious to see if it had gone further than being 'introduced' in a serious newspaper.

It didn't take long to find it being used a lot in writing (and in particular a play) - the meaning in english seems to be very much to do with the panic that a woman feels as her 'fertility window' is closing - so it's moved on from its medieval german roots referring to 'the fear of being shut outside when the gates of a city are shut at sundown'.

And I think Coffee Clutch should be Kaffeeklatch, which I gather is used in the states (the german being Kaffee und Klatsch) but is not BE.
#159AuthorIan23 Jun 03, 13:26
Comment
Out of curiosity, I repeated the search and now find this:

http://www.onion.demon.co.uk/copied/grandilo/t.htm

torschlusspanik - ( )
The fear of young women that they will not be married until they are to old to have children

But having said that @PuzzledBrit is right, a lot of words mentioned here would get a 'what?' from most of the UK population, although that isn't saying much - most of them class 'The Sun' as high art.
#160AuthorIan23 Jun 03, 13:37
Comment
"Halt". Steht auch auf Verkehrsschildern.

Dafür verwenden wir in Deustchland das englische "Stop".

#161AuthorKlaus23 Jun 03, 13:41
Comment
'Blitzkrieg' and its abbr. 'Blitz' has already been mentioned, but is also the source for the more and more frequently used verb 'to blitz' sth., like 'Overnight Hamburg has been blitzed into debris'.

This conversion into another word-class is a typical phenomenon of the English language, whether it is AE od BE.
#162AuthorQ23 Jun 03, 13:57
Comment
"Halt" is not a German word in English! It's an English word in English.
#163AuthorGhol ‹GB›23 Jun 03, 14:15
Comment
Ian: >>torschlusspanik - The fear of young women that they will not be married until they are to old to have children

Genau das bedeutet es auch in Deutsch !
#164Authorminjong23 Jun 03, 15:37
Comment
Hoppala, jetzt war ich zu schnell. Torschlußpanik ist die Angst, unfruchtbar zu werden, bevor man Kinder bekommt. Hat eigentlich nichts mit Heiraten zu tun.
#165Authorminjong23 Jun 03, 15:40
Comment
"NOODLE" für die Nudel
#166AuthorPOIT24 Jun 03, 07:55
Comment
@minjong - meiner Meinung bezieht es sich nicht mehr nur auf Frauen...auch genug Männer kennen das "Phänomen" und wollen dann alles heiraten was weiblich ist und 2 Beine hat! ;-b
#167AuthorMegziwegzi24 Jun 03, 08:44
Comment
Ian: Yeah I can see a magazine like the Economist using it, albeit in italics and with a definition, which just goes to prove that they don't expect even their rarefied readers to understand it.

You can almost hear the rubbing of hands and the anticipatory glee of the journalist, as he tries to stake his claim as the one definitively responsible for introducing a new word into the language. Alas, most of these don't make it, and I think it's very premature to include this one.

Nite mite: apple-streusel--is that what I think of as Strudel?
#168AuthorPeter &lt;us&gt;12 Jul 03, 05:30
Comment
Bauhaus
#169AuthorDon12 Jul 03, 06:21
Comment
@Peter: apple-streusel ist nicht apfelstrudel.

Beim Apfelstreuselkuchen besteht (zumeist) der Boden aus Hefeteig. Darauf werden Apfelschnitze gelegt, worauf dann schließlich die Streusel kommen. Streusel bestehen aus Mehl, Butter, Zimt und viiiiiiel Zucker. Der Teig ist so lecker, daß ich immer aufpassen muß, daß noch etwas für den Kuchen übrig bleibt. Er wird auf einem Backblech gebacken. Es gibt auch eine Variante, bei der auch der Boden aus dem Streuselteig besteht. Sehr lecker!

Der Strudelteig besteht aus Mehl, Butter, Ei und Milch. Strudelteig wird hauchdünn ausgezogen. Darauf wird die Apfelfüllung gelegt (Apfel, Zucker, Rahm, Sultaninen, Nüsse) und das ganze dann aufgerollt.

What about schnorkel?
#170AuthorNadja12 Jul 03, 13:14
Comment
Madeleine, Girl, did you take back in time ? when you wrote,'I hear quite a few college kids using 'Scheisse' - back to the first time I ever heard a German word spoken. It's mid winter, mid Atlantic and the Admiral Scheer has just had its first kill. Our ship is sunk (all survived) we are climbing aboard the Scheer and as I am about to step on deck there is a sudden swell in the sea and I am thrown against a German sailor. He in surprise cries out 'Scheissemensch'. The first German words I ever heard in my life yet I sensed that he meant -Steady old chap !
But that is not why I write:- 1. We do not say Gesundheit when one sneezes. We say Bless you ! 2. Name just one language that English has not sto;en from and 3.When Emglish had stolen all it could from other languages. who stole it from them and who cares ? I forget your name,but PLEASE GET BORED AGAIN SOON.
#171AuthorJGMcI13 Jul 03, 16:09
Comment
@JCMgi off topic: Have you been on board of the mopan?

http://www.internet-promotions.co.uk/archives/caithness/jervisbay.htm
#172Authorfundevogel14 Jul 03, 11:12
Comment
"Spinner - der Spinner".
source:LEO
No entry in www.germaneng....com.
Jiddish?
#173AuthorUrs16 Jul 03, 10:25
Comment
Interesting idea, but looking at the latest "complete list" I'd have to say... you're really scraping the barrel. Most of those words are NOT used, at least in BE. There are very few words of modern German origin in regular use in BE. Excepting names of certain dog breeds and names/expressions from WW2-based comic books/films the list is VERY, VERY short.
#174AuthorTim16 Jul 03, 14:05
Comment
I just came across spinner in an european patent application from an us-attorny, I translated it into spinner. Probably, this is not part of your "regular BE". However, Roy asked "english vocabulary" and wrote "american perspective". I donŽt know but would like to know wether spinner is originally english, german or jiddish. And i would like to apologize for my bad english.
#175AuthorUrs16 Jul 03, 16:16
Comment
@fundevogel off the subject

Yes. I did a day trip to Jamaica - ten days going and 4 1/2 years coming back and that about sums up my brilliant career as a Radio Operator in the British Merchant Navy.
#176AuthorJGMcI16 Jul 03, 16:16
Comment
Aus Charles Chaplin „THE GREAT DICTATOR“ 1940

Adenoid Hynkel: Aufruf zur „Kristallnacht“

„...

Vasult!
Und de strez –
ail the fleeten zacta fulten zelten fina fleeten ooh –
eine shtritz mit zina ultan zacta flairten –
ein za shritzen zect,
ein zect shtritzen zuct,
ein zect shtritzen zect,
ein zect
(Husten) –

enough zevel strutz mit zine alten zect –
ah –
und de Aryan –
und de Aryan maiden –
ah –
de Aryan maiden –
ah –
the delicatessen mit de shayn –
und tha flaxen mit des stresses –
ah –
und de Holstien mit tha muss –
ay the muss, for tha kinder Katzenjammer –
tha Katzenjammer mit tha utten, zecta, feeten, fighten, footen,fighten, fougten, utten, sect.

Ay – soldiers for Hynkel! (NB: fehlt in der deutschen Fassung; wurde ersetzt durch *) s.h. unten)

Vezain the Aryan –
and now, the Jewdan –
(Gegröhle) –

tha Jewdan –
und da striff da sour crout mit da Jewdan –
und de liverwurst mit da Jewdan –
ay tha flutzen zect eida, mit da Jewdan –
ay tha flutten zect eida, mit da Jewdan –
*) ay tha flutten zacta flairten –
und da strangulation mit da ulten zecta flayten –
und da blaitzen zacta ailden berzick, berzack –
da jewdan –
ooh tha Jewdan.

...“

#177Authorstefan17 Jul 03, 12:31
Comment
Das heutige "word of the day" von m-w.com:

luftmensch LOOFT-mensh ("OO" as in "foot") noun

: an impractical contemplative person having no definite business or income

Example sentence:
"The son ...," wrote American author Irving Howe, "is leaving to be a luftmensch — a starving poet, a painter without pictures, a radical leader without followers."

Did you know?
Are you someone who always seems to have your head in the clouds? Do you have trouble getting down to the lowly business of earning a living? If so, you may deserve to be labeled a "luftmensch." That airy appellation is an adaptation of the Yiddish "luftmentsh," which breaks down into "luft" (a Germanic root that can be tied linguistically to the English words "loft" and "lofty"), meaning "air," plus "mentsh," meaning "human being." "Luftmensch" was first introduced to English prose in 1907, when Israel Zangwill wrote "The word 'Luftmensch' flew into Barstein's mind. Nehemiah was not an earth-man .... He was an air-man, floating on facile wings."

#178AuthorUho &lt;de&gt;27 Jul 03, 23:25
Comment
Kleine Reminiszenz aus den 80ern:

"On Friday 13th of December, Bruce and Bongo discovered GermanyŽs most successful word: geil!"

Zwei heckmattentragende One-Hit-Wonders namens Bruce & Bongo hatten damals ein Stück namens "Geil" in den Charts.

Did it actually make it into english (means "horny" or "raunchy" or simply "great" btw)
#179AuthorTomTargi11 Sep 03, 10:36
Comment
I am not sure but I think BESSERWISSER is a German word used in English.
#180AuthorFlora25 Jul 07, 09:15
Comment
Thanks to Audi: "Vorsprung durch Technick". (UK)
#181Authors.25 Jul 07, 09:44
Comment
"Uralt-Faden-Archäologe" ist aber nur ein deutsches Wort, oder?
#182Authoryotix (271058) 25 Jul 07, 10:24
Comment
In der Altphilologie ist das Wort "Vorlage" gebräuchlich für den einer antiken Übersetzung zugrunde liegenden Originaltext.

Like in the greek Vorlage....
#183AuthorSenusret (292596) 25 Jul 07, 12:46
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum