ɛɜɪɔʊəɑɐɒæ
Konsonantensystem
ŋθʃʒçʍɹɻɫɾ
Diakritische Zeichen
ˈː

leo-ende

BetrifftTastenkombination fuer deutsche Umlaute19 Antworten    
Kommentar
ich weiss, es kann mir jemand weiterhelfen... welches sind die Tastenkombinationen fuer die deutschen Umlaute auf der engl. Tastatur?

Need help please,...how is the combination I have to take on an engl. keyboard to write the german umlaut letters?

Thanks!
VerfasserSusi28 Feb 03, 03:05
Kommentar
Susi, have a look at this site if you use a PC.
http://german.about.com/library/weekly/aa032398.htm
I haven't used it myself since I work on a mac, but have used similar charts for French accents on my PC at work. If you have a mac, simply hit option+u at the same time and then type your letter (or insert from the symbols chart in Word).
#1VerfasserRES-can28 Feb 03, 03:52
Kommentar
When you look at the symbols chart in Microsoft WORD, there is a keystroke combination described, which is used to make these letters. I believe you can program your own series of keystrokes, but the ones given are fairly logical: Ctrl+: (that is, hold the Ctrl button as well as the Shift button and the semi-colon button; then release), then the letter you need (a,o,u). If you need the Capital of the letter, you click on Ctrl+:, then Shift and the letter you want. With a small bit of practice it becomes just as automatic as typing any other letters.
#2VerfasserGabrielle, Canada28 Feb 03, 08:16
Kommentar
If you use a PC but not exclusively $@#&%! MS Word, you might want to change your keyboard settings globally in Windows (98 at least).

Here's the path: Start > Settings > Control Panel > Keyboard > Language (you can toggle between two or more, with your toolbar showing whichever one's currently in force; you might want to load both English *and* German) > Layout (under English, choose International to add accent key combinations; the tradeoff is that you have to type an extra space after quotes before vowels if you don't want them to be interpreted as diacritical marks).

Other slower but adequate methods for less frequently used special characters (say, Scandinavian or whatever) are the old Character Map utility (Windows 3.x I think), or ASCII codes with ALT via the keypad.

Hope this helps. I can understand what a jolt it is not to find the letters where you expect them. (My typing on German keyboards tends to be unusually full of Z's...)
#3VerfasserHil28 Feb 03, 11:11
Kommentar
reliable method:
Keep ALT pressed + type in the following combinations on the keypad on the right (the "Num" light/function should be activated on your keyboard):
ALT
+ 0228 ä
+ 0196 Ä
+ 0246 ö
+ 0214 Ö
+ 0252 ü
+ 0220 Ü
+ 0223 ß
• • With that method you can use all sorts of ASCII symbols if you only learn the codes! »© ® š Œ ÷« — which is also useful for unusual smileys ;-þ
#4VerfasserGhol- ‹GB›28 Feb 03, 11:31
Kommentar
Correction:

... Keyboard > Language > Properties > (pull-down menu) US-International

Sorry!
#5VerfasserHil28 Feb 03, 11:43
Kommentar
For those who don't want to learn the four-digit numbers mentionned by Ghol: Just make use of the 'charmap'. It is a part of Windows and (at least on my PC) stored in: C:WINNTsystem32charmap.exe.
#6VerfasserBeat28 Feb 03, 13:17
Kommentar
The following are for lazy cats like me who hit three keys bei ASCII codes instead of 4:

ö 148
ä 132
ü 129
ß 225
Ö 153
Ä 142
Ü 154

Thanks for the 4-digit codes, didn't know they were possible !

#7VerfasserMike28 Feb 03, 13:21
Kommentar
Achtung: Die Methode ALT + ANSI-Nummer funktioniert nur unter M$ Windoofs!
Fuer Vorschlaege, wie das unter Linux einfach(!) geht, waere ich dankbar.
#8Verfasserstefan <at/de>28 Feb 03, 13:38
Kommentar
related discussion

and was in the archive the whole time...
#9VerfasserSue <aus>28 Feb 03, 13:38
Kommentar
Hier eine Lösung für Linux aus der SuSE-Hilfe
Bezieht sich auf SuSE Linux Versionen ab 6.3

Durch Tastenkombinationen mit der Compose-Taste (Umschalt bzw. Shift plus rechte Ctrl- bzw. Strg-Taste unter SuSE Linux) können Umlaute und sonstige Zeichen eingegeben werden. Die Tasten werden jeweils nacheinander gedrückt -- NICHT gedrückt halten, wie man es sonst gewohnt ist;

Beispiel:

Compose ' a : á
Compose ' a : à
Compose ^ a : â
Compose ~ a : ã
Compose " a : ä
Compose a e : æ
Compose , c : ç

Für eine Latin-1-Umgebung sind diese Kombinationen in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose festgelegt.
#10VerfasserMarianne28 Feb 03, 16:20
Kommentar
Die Strg-Taste spricht man übrigens 'Steuerungstaste' aus, nicht 'String'.
'Alt Gr' spricht man _nicht_ 'Alt Grau' aus, nur weil sie oft dunkler ist als als manche anderen Tasten.
#11VerfasserMarianne01 Mär 03, 12:51
Kommentar
Or, just find the ones you want as typed by someone else (like in various posts above) and cut (Ctrl-C) and paste (Ctrl-V) them into your document.
#12VerfasserPeter <us>06 Mär 03, 02:51
Kommentar
Laptop Alt+Fn+Ascii: , alter Thread, Language Bar

Der von Sue (Fri Feb 28 13:38:40 2003) erwaehnte Forumsbeitrag erscheint bei mir ohne die Funktion Follow Up/Reaktion. Also wird hier weiterdiskutiert.

Auf PC-Tastaturen funktionieren Kombinationen wie Alt-132 oft nur auf dem (eingeschalteten!) Nummernblock.
Auf LAPTOP-Tastaturen gibt es meist eine Taste Fn und einen Nummernblock auf den Buchstabentasten (bei mir MJKLUIO789=0123456789). Alt und Fn gedrueckt halten und dann den ASCII-Code auf diesem Nummernblock eingeben.

Bei dem Windoof2000-Rechner, den mir mein Arbeitgeber fertig installiert hingestellt hat, gibt es einen Language Bar. Das ist ein nuetzliches Werkzeug: durch Auswahl aus einem Drop-Down-Menue laesst sich die Tastatursprache umstellen.
Beispiele (immer die gleichen 11 Tasten):
)=?OP^*LÑšÇ <- aktuelle Einstellung Spanisch,
)=?OPÜ*LÖÄ' <-umgestellt auf Deutsch, so stehts auf meiner Tastatur
()_OP{}L:"| /umgestellt auf Englisch, man muss die virtuelle Tastatur im Kopf
haben (oder aufmalen).
Vielleicht gibt es sowas auch fuer Linux und fuer andere Betriebssysteme? (Ich befuerworte offensichtlich die Umlaut-Ersetzung bei E-Mails und Forums-Beitraegen).
#13VerfasserTim06 Mär 03, 09:25
Kommentar
I switch between languages a lot during the day and found that (at least in windows) the fastest way is to set up shortcut keys. Its a bit longwinded in the beginning though. Got to "Insert" then "Symbol". In "normal text" pick the Umlaut, or any other symbol such as the Euro, and assign it to a key. Now I only use Alt+o for ö, Alt+u for ü and so on.
#14VerfasserKarin06 Mär 03, 11:07
Kommentar
Strange... on a Mac you simply pick any desired character from your pop char menu – in any application.

I must try that Windows stuff someday. :)

#15VerfasserNorbert06 Mär 03, 12:10
Kommentar
@Karin:
I agree that for most normal purposes, methods like cutting and pasting or remembering ASCII codes aren't all that helpful.

But what do you mean by "Insert" in Windows? Where is that, and does the change then apply in every program in which you can possibly type text? Or are you perhaps thinking of a specific software program, not the whole operating system?

So far the only way I have found to make the change *globally* in Windows is (sorry to repeat this but it really is extraordinarily handy) to go to Keyboard Settings on the Control Panel and install the keyboard you want: for English speakers, US-Int with alternate key combinations (a reference list of which should be widely available on the web); for German speakers, the virtual German keyboard (several are available, from various countries). After doing this once you can then switch to it with one keystroke at any time, in any program. Doris mentioned this briefly in the earlier thread cited above, but I sense it may bear repeating.
#16VerfasserHil06 Mär 03, 14:04
Kommentar
I'm pretty sure Karin meant "WORD for Windows". That's where you can insert symbols and make your own shortcuts.
#17VerfasserGabrielle, Canada07 Mär 03, 08:37
Kommentar
sorry, yes I meant Word for Windows. Gabrielle is right.
#18VerfasserKarin07 Mär 03, 10:52
Kommentar
The easiest thing is to add the German keyboard to your Windows system (in the Control Panel) and then just remember to use SHIFT+ALT to switch between the English and German keyboards. SHIFT+ALT is the default setting, but you can change the shortcut to whatever you need.

The following English keys convert to the following German keys (not a comprehensive list):

y = z
z = y
[ = ü
- = ß
; = ö
' = ä
( = )
* = (
/ = -
> = :
< = ;

Of course, if you can't remember which keys are used for quotation marks, the @ symbol, etc. you can always switch back to the English keyboard to enter them as you work. This is a thousand times faster than the hunt-and-peck work required by inserting each symbol individually--especially if you're a good typist.
#19Verfassertekkie07 Sep 10, 20:06
i Nur registrierte Benutzer können in diesem Forum posten