Konsonantensystem
ŋθʃʒçʍɹɻɫɾ
Diakritische Zeichen
ˈː

leo-ende

BetrifftPoliteness and Indirectness in English150 Antworten    
Kommentar
Hello everybody,

I have to write a paper for my English studies dealing with cross-cultural politeness and indirectness. Now I'm trying to find out about the main differences between English language and German. Can you think of some striking differences? Or an anecdote were communication failed because of too indirect indirectness?

Yours,

marlies
Verfassermana_mp12 Nov 06, 13:21
Kommentar
can't bring any good ones to mind at the moment but here are a few examples:

where a German would say "yes / no" a Brit might say "that would be nice / I don't think so" ... this can lead to uncertainty when I say to a German "ich glaube nicht, dass ich kommen kann" means just that to the German, but not to me, it means "sorry, I can't come"

I find myself saying thank you (danke!) far too often for the Germans ... in English you can say it till the cows come home, but saying too often in German can come across as being superfluous (and I get some funny looks!)

generally the Germans are much more direct and to the point: they mean what they say and say what they mean
to the English ear, this can come across as being very blunt and even rude
eg. "nein, das geht nicht" is too direct for the English, "no you can't do that / that can't be done" ... we would say "I am sorry that is not possible ..." etc

I'll keep thinking and will post if I can think of any better examples
#1Verfassermanja (248376) 12 Nov 06, 13:47
Kommentar
"No that is wrong"

"Now that is an interesting point, and of course you are right to point out XYZ, but don't you think that one should also consider ABC..."

Spot which one is the English and which is the German ;)

#2VerfasserRichard (236495) 12 Nov 06, 13:58
Kommentar
ah yes "how are you?" / "wie geht's"
usually this means NOTHING at all in English , and can also be seen that way in DE, but if you are familiar with someone you can end up listening to a list of ailments from magen-darm krankheiten to rückenschmerzen

I know one of my US friends always wondered why I asked how she was, as if I thought she were ill (or was going to be)! .. she would say "what's up" instead
#3Verfassermanja (248376) 12 Nov 06, 14:28
Kommentar
Eines meiner Lieblingsthemen!

Kommunikation an sich ist schon schwierig genug.
Ich habe seit ein paar Monaten einen englischen Freund und ich bin manchmal am Verzweifeln, weil ich nicht sicher bin, wann er etwas wirklich meint. Kann ein Engländer nicht einfach deutlich ja, nein, ok, will ich, will ich nicht sagen....Wie viele Missverständnisse könnten vermieden werden. seufz.M
#4Verfasser49DQM12 Nov 06, 17:39
Kommentar
@ 49DQM

well, we could say yes and no, but that would be too direct (and too easy) ... I think we enjoy being vague

[auf DE: NEIN, können wir nicht];-)
#5Verfassermanja (248376) 12 Nov 06, 18:08
Kommentar
Perhaps a small point, but you are looking for the differences in use of language by speakers of English and German. The languages themselves I think show very little difference: it would be possible to be as direct in English, were it not for cultural norms. So you are interested in a purely social phenomenon, and here you run the danger of entering the area of prejudice and stereotype. But here is an example from my limited experience anyway:
I have yet to hear a native English speaker (in this case primarily from the US) tell you something unpleasant (Man, your hair looks terrible today!) and then, when you protest the rudeness of such a statement, follow it with: "Ich sage blos die Wahrheit." Such "truths" are better left unsaid in the US.
#6VerfasserSelkie (236097) 12 Nov 06, 18:21
Kommentar
"How are you" or "How you doing" in the US is the equivalent of saying hello. If you are suffering from constipation or an outbreak of hives, nobody expects to or wants to hear it. The normal response is "fine."
#7VerfasserKate12 Nov 06, 18:57
Kommentar
"Have You Gained Weight?"
http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,416920,00.html
Hier noch ein Artikel zum Thema.
In der "German Survival Bible" aus der der Artikel stammt gibt es, wenn ich mich recht erinnere, noch mehr Artikel z.B. zu den Entschuldigungsgepflogenheiten hierzulande.
#8VerfasserSarah (de)12 Nov 06, 19:15
Kommentar
Look in the archive under 'cultural differences' / 'kulturelle Unterschiede' -- there should be several threads, some of them quite long.

One aspect that's been discussed a lot here in the forum is the phrasing of requests. Subjunctive forms like 'could' and 'would' are very common in polite English; 'can I' or 'do you want to' can sound more offhand or less respectful. But apparently literal translations with the subjunctive can sound a bit overdone in German, which tends to prefer 'kann' rather than 'könnte' (if I understand correctly).

Other differences are also often just a matter of degree. For instance, we are capable of saying a straight yes or no if you insist, even if we beat around the bush a bit first to take the edge off. Often in English it's understood that the first question and the first answer are more general, casual, tentative, noncommittal. That avoids putting anyone on the spot or seeming too pushy, and it allows for casual conversation in passing to take place at a rather superficial level without requiring too much effort from anyone. But if someone really wants an answer, they'll insist, and then you can say, 'Well, if you're really sure it's not too much trouble, I'd love to, thank you very much' or 'Well, if you really want my honest opinion, I'm afraid I still see several problems with ...'

In some cultures, though, 'no' is simply never an acceptable answer, even on the second or third asking -- it's better to lie than ever to hurt someone's feelings by refusing an offer or a request. To me, that's too indirect. (-: That is, along a spectrum of indirectness in all cultures, we're probably somewhere more in the middle than totally opposite to German speakers.

I agree with the others, though, that pointed questions or judgments about personal health, appearance, etc. are pretty much no-no's. Here's an example of how we might address the 'Your hair looks terrible today' concept:

Hi! How's it going? ... You look a little tired. Are you having a rough week? ... Oh? Yeah, that deadline is really a bear, I'm under a lot of stress right now too. Say, did you do something different to your hair? ... Oh? A new haircut? That's nice. ... Like it? Well, you know, now that you mention it I think I sort of liked the way you had it before better. But maybe the new look will grow on me. (-:

Of course, this is not in the end necessarily much less truthful, since everyone knows that 'You look really tired' is often just a euphemism for 'You look terrible,' but somehow it doesn't feel quite as hurtful.

That said, my observation just from here in the forum is that the range of differences among personality types is almost as wide as the cultural difference itself. That is, there are plenty of blunt English speakers and plenty of polite German speakers, so generalizing isn't necessarily that productive because the exceptions always overlap.
#9Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 13 Nov 06, 00:17
Kommentar
PS: Having now read the Spiegel link in #8, I agree with most of it, except this sentence:

>>not to be confused with the Anglo-American "We should get together sometime," which means "I hope I never see you again."

That's too harsh to me. To me, 'We should get together sometime' is a typical first-round gambit that opens up a possibility without getting too specific. It could mean that the speaker isn't very serious and is only saying something to be polite, but it could also just mean that the speaker doesn't really know whether the listener would really like to. If you respond with obvious interest and ask when might be a good time, the speaker could say something discouraging ('The thing is, the whole next month or so is just really busy for me'), in which case you know to back off, or something encouraging ('Really? You don't happen to like Thai food, do you? Because there's this place I've been wanting to try for lunch ...'), in which case you can move toward setting a date. (But not too fast. Give the person time to sleep on it. *g*)

The whole point about the vagueness is not that it's untruthful but that it's flexible. It allows you to take your time to feel the other person out and discern what they really want, as well as to take your time to decide what you really want.

In fact, maybe the time thing is part of the cultural difference too, which might tally with the general German preference for promptness. There again, English speakers may be more in the middle of the cultural spectrum compared with, say, the 'mañana' mindset of many Latin Americans. Though again, individuals often don't correspond to any of these stereotypes.
#10Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 13 Nov 06, 00:48
Kommentar
Ein Satz wie: "Mann, du siehst heut' echt scheiße aus", (Typische Antwort: "Ja, ich fühl' mich auch so".) drückt im Deutschen eben echtes Mitgefühl aus und wird auch so verstanden... ;)
#11VerfasserAM<de> (236333) 13 Nov 06, 01:56
Kommentar
Three things:

If I say in German to a German that I like something and my addressee does not like that thing; s/he will most likely say: "Nein." That really gets to me: My reaction is that the other person is telling me that I don't know my own feelings (opinions, what-ever).

In Germany, I cannot get Germans to come to parties on time. If I say the affair will begin at 7:30 and we will start eating at 8:00, perhaps 1/5 will arrive between 7:40 and 8:00 while most will come around 8:20-8:40.

Germans generally do not give the time of an evening affair. Rather, they say something like, 'I'm having a birthday party on the evening of the 20th."

#12VerfasserNightman (US)13 Nov 06, 02:23
Kommentar
Soweit ich mich entsinnen kann, fragt man im Deutschen direkt (Würden Sie mir bitte das Salz reichen?), während man im Englischen (GB) wohl eher indirekt an eine Sache herangeht (Would you like some salt?).

Die Frage bedeutet das gleiche wie im Deutschen, man möchte das Salz außerhalb seiner Reichweite gereicht bekommen. Man fragt zwar (rein wortwörtlich) ob der andere Salz braucht, meint das aber gar nicht so. Entsprechende Fragestellungen gibt es auch für mir ist kalt --> Fenster schließen.

Das ist das, woran ich mich erinnern kann. (Gelesen, aus Englisch-Knigge, und personal experience von meinem englischen Prof), Ob das wirklich so fuktioniert, kann ich nciht mit 100% BEstimmtheit sagen.
#13VerfasserNoGo13 Nov 06, 09:21
Kommentar
@ nogo = would you like some salt and could you pass me the salt? ... eh?

@nightman, I know what you mean about the contradiction point, often I hear Germans using "DOCH" to say "yes, but I did", but to me it is like you say, almost as if they are telling me I am wrong...
#14Verfassermanja (248376) 13 Nov 06, 09:27
Kommentar
Nightman: Ja, es ist unüblich, abends zu einer Party einer bestimmten Uhrzeit einzuladen. In diesem Fall kannst du aber nichts falsch machen, wenn du gegen 20 uhr aufkreuzt. Dementsprechend wird auch die Nennung einer Uhrzeit eher als uverbindliche Empfehlung verstanden.

Etwas anderes ist es, wenn man zum Essen einlädt - also kein Buffet (kalt oder warm), von dem man sich den ganzen Abend nehmen kann, sondern ein Essen, bei dem alle am Tisch sitzen und das dann für alle gleichzeitig serviert wird. Hier bemüht man sich in der Regel schon, pünktlich zu sein.

Ich vermute, du hast deinen Gästen nicht hinreichend vergegenwärtigt, dass es so ein Essen gibt.
#15VerfasserSophil <de> (239990) 13 Nov 06, 09:58
Kommentar
@nightman / sophil
when I first came to Germany, I thought the Germans were supposed to be very exact when it came to time ... but I very quickly found out that, beyond business, this is a myth! Almost all our German friends come late, and we now plan with that in mind (ie. we tell them to come earlier!;-)
#16Verfassermanja (248376) 13 Nov 06, 10:13
Kommentar
Und was wäre so schwer daran, seine Gäste zum Essen einzuladen und zu sagen "aber seid bitte pünktlich, weil sonst die Suppe kalt wird"? Das verstehen Deutsche.
#17Verfassertigger (at)13 Nov 06, 10:28
Kommentar
Um noch mal auf die Ausgangsfrage zurückzukommen: Vor etwa 20 bis 30 Jahren hatten meine Eltern auf einer USA-Reise ein Pärchen aus Florida kennengelernt. Man verstand sich gut und reiste sogar ein paar Tage zusammen durch die Staaten.
Bei der Verabschiedung sagten die beiden dann, wenn meine Eltern jemals nach Florida kämen, sollten sie sie besuchen kommen - sie hätten dort ein schönes großes Haus nicht allzu weit vom Meer und könnten dort doch ein paar Tage bleiben.

Meine Eltern hatten sich über die Einladung sehr gefreut. Als meine Eltern dann aber ein Jahr später wirklich dort anriefen und die Einladung annehmen wollten, waren die beiden Amerikaner ziemlich reserviert und verlegen, kamen mit erkennbar gelogenen Ausflüchten und meinten zum Schluss nur, man könne sich ja mal zum Abendessen treffen.

Meine Eltern hatten sich danach ein anderes Reiseziel gesucht (es ging ihnen schließlich mehr um den Besuch und nicht um Florida) und nie wieder Kontakt zu ihnen gehabt.

Ich denke, das ist auch so ein Unterschied: Wenn man in Deutschland jemanden für ein paar Tage zu sich nach Hause einlädt, dann meint man das so. In den USA scheint das eher eine unverbindliche Erklärung zu sein, dass man diese Möglichkeit nicht gänzlich ausschließen kann, und es bedarf vermutlich mehrmaliger ausdrücklicher Wiederholung, bis die vermeintlich Eingeladenen es wagen würden, sie wirklich anzunehmen.

Oder schätze ich das falsch ein?
#18VerfasserSophil <de> (239990) 13 Nov 06, 10:36
Kommentar
Eigentlich klingen die genannten Unterschiede mächtig ähnlich wie die kommunikativen Unterschiede zwischen US Nord- und Südstaatlern, die Rita Mae Brown in ihre Krimis so gerne ausführloich aufs Korn nimmt.
"Die Yankees sind so direkt und verstehen ein höfliches 'Nein' nicht." ist ein in ihre Büchern ständig presenter Vorwurf.
#19VerfasserCJ de (236383) 13 Nov 06, 10:45
Kommentar
Das Problem mit höflichen Umschreibungen und Floskeln ist auch, daß man nie vorher wirklich wissen kann, wie deutlich oder umschreibend das Gegenüber redet.
Gibt es eine gute Testfrage?
Es ist ja nichtmal so daß ich jeden Fragen kann "Was hältst Du von Kylie Minogues Haarschnitt?" weil es ja wohl tatsächlich Leute gibt, die das schön finden...
#20VerfasserCJ de (236383) 13 Nov 06, 10:48
Kommentar
Tigger und Sophil:

Since it was Thanksgiving dinner and the people were also bringing hot sit-down-style food to complement the turkey, which the Germans had to know about, since 1) I invited them year-in, year-out and 2) I made it explicit (no, I didn't add "sonst die Suppe ..." since that didn't seem either necessary or polite to tell adults). And so, I wound up inviting the Germans an hour early (and then many of them were surprised that a dinner would start so early and came after eight any-way).

- Yes, I KNOW that not giving a time is normal and that 8 (or 8:30, depending on the nature of the affair) is pretty much meant. I was just mentioning it to add to the discussion.

sophil: betr. Einladung bei zu Hause. Ich hab' mehrere solche Gesichten gehoert. Anscheinend passiert das viele Deutsche in Amerika. Ich hab' sowas nie bez. GB gehoert.
#21VerfasserNightman (US)13 Nov 06, 11:30
Kommentar
Zurück zum Thema:
Eine Bekannte erzählte mal, dass sie bei amerikanischen Freunden eingeladen war, die auch einen Pool hatten. Als sie gerade vom Schwimmen kam, stellte die Schwiegermutter fest, dass sich die Haare meiner Bekannten im nassen Zustand aber besonders kringelten. Die antwortete darauf irgendwas Neutrales wie "ja, das ist immer so" - worauf betretenes Schweigen herrschte, weil das ein Kompliment gewesen wäre und sie sich hätte bedanken müssen...

War das Zufall oder sollte man davon ausgehen, dass "Amerikaner generell" starke Naturlocken unglaublich toll finden und man sich für jede Bemerkung als Kompliment bedanken sollte? (Einer Schulfreundin ist mal sowas Ähnliches passiert.)
#22Verfassertigger13 Nov 06, 11:47
Kommentar
My naturally curly hair was constantly admired when I was a kid in the US, which drove me mad. I certainly would not have said thank you if someone pointed it out, unless she had said "Oh, your hair is just so wonderfully curly, even when it is wet!" Then a thank you would be in order, but it would be no matter what she reported was so wonderful.
#23VerfasserSelkie (236097) 13 Nov 06, 12:06
Kommentar
hm, vieles was in dem thread steht kann ich so nicht übernehmen. vorallem:
"wie geht's?" wird in meinem umfeld und unter gleichaltrigen, ca. 20 jahre alt, ebenso als hallo-ersatz benutzt:
A: "wie geht's?" - B: "passt schon" oder "gut, und dir?"

"We should get together sometime" mit den ausführungen von hm--us ist eigentlich genau das gleiche wie:
A: "wir sollten uns mal wieder treffen!" - B: "ja müssen wir unbedingt mal machen. Also, bis dann."
in DE.

im allgemeinen kann ich für mich und viele meiner freunde und bekannten sagen, dass eine tendenz zu unverbindlichkeit besteht. nahezu alle versuchen möglichst flexibel und unaghängig zu bleiben und sich nicht durch feste zusagen zu binden.
dadurch entstehen bei mir aber immer wieder konflikte mit mitmenschen die etwas älter sind als ich.
#24Verfasserthamisat13 Nov 06, 12:10
Kommentar
Das mit der deutschen "Lässigkeit" beim Erscheinen zu Essenseinladungen ist mir komplett neu! Ich kenne die "akademische Viertelsstunde", die man zu spät kommen darf, aber ab dann wird es grob unhöflich. Wenn sich unsere deutschen Gäste mehr als 20 Minuten verspäten, rufen sie kurz an, um Bescheid zu geben. Ich kenne das gar nicht anders. (Wir sind alle so um die 40.)
Bekannte, die sich prinzipiell eine dreiviertel Stunde oder sogar mehr verspäten, würde ich einmal freundlich beiseite nehmen und ihnen erklären, dass ich vor allem bei Essenseinladungen Pünktlichkeit erwarte. Auf jeden Fall würde ich mit dem Essen beginnen, sobald es fertig ist. Wer zu spät kommt, kriegt eben die aufgewärmten Reste, sofern welche übrig sind. Das wirkt auch sehr erzieherisch ;-)
#25VerfasserBirgila/DE13 Nov 06, 12:45
Kommentar
As directness/indirectness: Probably the only thing where Germans are more indirect that English native speakers is when someone's giving you a refill. At least I am used to say "Danke" to indicate that I have enough wine/water/whatever in my glass at that point and don't want more. When I practise that in Britain, people usually just take it as "thanks for the refill" and pour until the glass is full...
#26VerfasserRitaK (251312) 13 Nov 06, 13:04
Kommentar
Nightman, ich sehe das ebenso wie Birgila. Wenn ich explizit ZUM ESSEN einlade, würde ich Verspätungen von mehr als 10 bis 15 Minuten ohne triftigen Grund als unhöflich betrachten und das auch zum Ausdruck bringen. Es kommt in meinem Bekanntenkreis aber selten vor, dass das nötig wird.

> that didn't seem either necessary or polite to tell adults
Das mag in den USA so sein, aber in Deutschland ist es überhaupt nicht unhöflich, um Pünktlichkeit zu bitten.

Hast du deinen Gästen jemals gesagt, dass du dir im nächsten pünktlicheres Erscheinen wünschen würdest? Deutsche sind da resistent, wenn du ihr Zuspätkommen jahrein, jahraus toleriert hast, werden sie denken, es sei schon in Ordnung so. Auch hier gilt: Wenn du sie freundlich darauf hinweist, dass es schwierig sei, das Essen solange warm zu halten und dass die anderen Gäste hungrig warten müssten, dann wird dies kein Deutscher als unhöflich empfinden - es wird ihm selbst peinlich sein.
#27VerfasserSophil <de> (239990) 13 Nov 06, 13:07
Kommentar
I have a postcard which I bought in England. On the top it says "How to complain in English" and underneath there are four small drawings of a couple in a restaurant. In the first picture, the woman says "There's a worm in my side-salad". Second picture, the man says, "My steak is as tough as old boots." In the third picture, the woman says, "We asked for dry wine and they have given us sweet!" In the fourth picture, the waiter comes to the table and asks, "Is everything alright?", and the couple say, "Oh yes, it's all lovely, the food is wonderful. Thank you."

This, in my opinion, says a lot about how the British deal with the delicate issue of complaining - in other words, they don't. My English boyfriend says it's so true. Whenever we go out for a meal and something isn't right, I will tell the waiter so. After all, we leave a lot of money at the place and want to make sure that we get good quality food and service. (I will, of course, also tell them when the food was good and we were happy with the service!) He says before he moved here, he wouldn't dream of complaining at a restaurant or in a shop. I find it only fair to give them feedback, be it positive or negative.
#28VerfasserKatjes13 Nov 06, 13:34
Kommentar
Sophil - Ja, ich hab' die Freundinnen das gesagt. Aber ein Jahr spaeter kommen mehrere immer spaet. Und, ja, ich warte nicht mehrb- aber dann fehlen die Kartoffeln oder XY. Ich behaupte, die Deutschen nur meinen, dass "alle" Deutsche zum Essen puenktlich sind. Tuer einen Outsider ist die
Wirklichkeit schmerzlich einfach su erkennen.

"> that didn't seem either necessary or polite to tell adults
Das mag in den USA so sein, aber in Deutschland ist es überhaupt nicht unhöflich, um Pünktlichkeit zu bitten. " - Tja, das ist doch mein Problem: ich finde es unheimlich schwer, die Leute zu sagen, dass sie unhoeflich sind (und auch warum ich gereizt bin, weil es kommt mir haeufig vor, dass Deutsche "besserwisserisch" sind - und merken ueberhaupt nicht, dass der den Gegenueber zurueckhaltend ist). Aber das ist meine Erziehung.
#29VerfasserNighman13 Nov 06, 13:35
Kommentar
@RitaK:
Das ist ein schönes Beispiel, wie ich finde. Mir ging das nämlich genauso. Daraufhin hab ich mir statt nur "Thanks" für "nein, danke" angewöhnt "I'm fine, thanks" zu sagen. Das wirkt :)

Als uns Bekannte aus Kanada besuchten, war ich mit ihnen Sight-seeing. Ich habe immer das Auto gefahren, da unsere Besucher nur Automatik fahren. Die kanadischen Bekannten haben dann ab und zu gefragt "Are you alright (with) driving?" Sie wollten mir damit nicht anbieten, selbst zu fahren, sondern nur höflich ausdrücken, dass sie es schätzen, dass ich mit ihnen durch die Gegend fahre.
#30VerfasserI_miss_Melbourne (245695) 13 Nov 06, 13:44
Kommentar
Über Katjes Posting musste ich ein bisschen grinsen, weil mir das typisch bundesdeutsch (preußisch?) erscheint, sich unbedingt zu beschweren, wenn etwas nicht perfekt ist. Sicher, wenn ich einen Wurm im Salat habe, rege ich mich auch auf, aber wenn mein Steak zäh ist, vielleicht nicht. Muss der Einfluss des Balkans sein. ;-)
#31Verfassertigger (at in de)13 Nov 06, 13:56
Kommentar
tigger, ich wollte nicht wie jemand rüberkommen, der sich ewig nur beschwert und ständig das sprichwörtliche Haar in der Suppe sucht! Wie gesagt, wenn der Service gut war, sage ich das ja auch. Ich habe auch schon in Geschäften dem Geschäftsführer gedankt, wenn mir ein Verkäuferin besonders gut geholfen hat, oder sich viel Zeit für mich genommen hat. Das ist nämlich heutzutagae keine Selbstverständlichkeit mehr. Aber was stimmt denn damit nicht, wenn ich im Restaurant minderwertiges Essen vorgestzt bekomme und das dann sage? Ich bezahle schließlich!
#32VerfasserKatjes13 Nov 06, 14:01
Kommentar
@RitaK - "Thanks" means "thank you for what you are doing" in English, whereas in German it means "no thanks" or "please keep the change". I'd say that is more a difference in code than anyone trying to be direct or indirect, although I suppose you could argue that "Danke" is more indirect/discreet than "Keep the change". If so, then that is one time my parents had problems with being unintentionally indirect when trying out their German - they just wanted to thank the waiter for his service, but accidentally left him a large tip.

Try saying "when!" if you want to refuse a refill indirectly :-)
#33VerfasserCM2DD (236324) 13 Nov 06, 14:05
Kommentar
This is such an interesting topic I have to contribute my experience of almost 20 years ago:

I was raised in Canada where one is raised by and in an environment where everyone is nice, polite and self-deprecating to a fault. At least that's my impression now.

I certainly got out of the habit quickly of sprinkling my speech with "Oh how silly of me!" or "That was a stupid thing for me to say". (The English answer would be "No, no of course not!")

Imagine my surprise and embarassment when the German answer was a quiet "yes"...
I laugh about it now.
#34Verfassersyl in berlin13 Nov 06, 15:45
Kommentar
No one has yet mentioned the American (maybe UK also?) “sandwich” method of criticism. A typical example of a teacher criticizing a student’s paper might go like this:

You bring up some interesting points in your essay. [positive]
But don’t you think you could have included a few more facts? [negative]
Still, it is very well written. [positive]

The American student knows that he/she has been criticized, but also that the teacher is trying to be gentle. Germans tell me they are confused by this approach of “sandwiching” the negative between two positives. It is, however, the most common way that criticism is given, in business as well as in education.
#35VerfasserGeorgeA (US) (237231) 13 Nov 06, 17:47
Kommentar
A few anecdotes from my (Southern US) experiences with my husband (Bavarian).

- The first time we went to the mall, the salespeople said, as usual, "Hi, how're you doing?" when we entered each store, and my poor husband felt compelled to answer each question and ask how the salesperson was in return. He was getting more and more frustrated with these strangers asking him "personal" questions, and I told him he can just cheerfully say "Hi" or "Great, thanks!" and doesn't have to really answer, but he felt like that would be too rude. Longest. Shopping trip. Ever.

- We were visiting my uncle out of town and at some point in the conversation it came out that it was my uncle's birthday that day, upon which my husband jumped up and cried, "Then I must give you your birthday handshake!" My uncle stared for a minute before recovering and politely shaking his hand. Generally, we're not as big on handshakes - usually just when you haven't seen someone for a while, or in a formal situation, or to seal a business deal or a bet (or amongst men, it would be more likely to shake hands as a greeting). But not nearly as often or as ritualized as in my experience in Germany. My family still laughs about this episode, and will call my husband on his birthday to "give him his birthday handshake", and then start cracking up.

- It took us a while to sort out our communication (this goes back to CJ's comment on how to know what someone really means, #20) because I was raised in Southern manners to the tune of "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." Meanwhile, my husband's experience is more like "No news is good news." We figured out that my silence or "oh, that's nice" is equivalent to his "geht nicht", or that my "awesome" or "fantastic" is about the same as his "nicht schlecht" or even silence. We have the same scale ranging from bad to good, we just express it completely differently.
#36VerfasserAbra (236397) 14 Nov 06, 11:00
Kommentar
A lot of american self-help books on this or that topic stress the importance of clear communication and expressing what you think, feel and need.
Is this just what self-help books are all about, or is it plain stupid to translate those into German, as Germans tend to be more direct about things (do they really?) anyway?

@ Abra: How did you get along with his bavarian relatives?
I'm impressed you figured your communication out, its not an easy task especially with people near and dear.

#37VerfasserCJ de unplugged14 Nov 06, 11:12
Kommentar
@CJ: The relatives are similar, although I don't think I'll get used to having to shake my great-grandmother-in-law's hand every time I see her. And sometimes it's hard when I have a new haircut or something, and the mother-in-law's response is "es passt" - and to know that that's meant to be a compliment. It's a learning process. :)

I thought of an example of a bit too much indirectness, too: When we were going on vacation, we asked our neighbor (in Dresden) if he would water the plants for us. His response: "Ich gehe nicht in fremde Wohnungen," and he shuts the door. I have been told that this neighbor was rude even by German standards, but I cannot imagine that ever happening in (my part of) the States. If someone didn't want to do it they would just come up with some nebulous excuse, like "I'm sorry, I'm really busy then" - even though everyone knows it doesn't take five minutes to water the plants.
#38VerfasserAbra (236397) 14 Nov 06, 11:37
Kommentar
er, "indirectness" = "directness"
#39VerfasserAbra (236397) 14 Nov 06, 11:38
Kommentar
Ah, I was getting confused :-)
#40VerfasserCJ unplugged14 Nov 06, 11:40
Kommentar
Abra, re hand-shaking, you must go and see "Borat" then - when he first arrives in New York, he tries to shake hands with everybody, resulting in several threats and one poor guy speeding along the pavement just to not shake hands.
"at some point in the conversation it came out that hands..." it came out? Have you been in Germany long? Or is that an Americanism, too?
The "no thank you" "yes please" reminded me of my dad saying just "no" when asked by a B&B landlord whether he wanted more towels. The landlord, being Scottish, sped of to get more towels quickly, as he had understood "now". Probably cursing the typically rude German under his breath, too. Now if my dad had said "no thank you", no matter the accent he would probably not have been misunderstood, would he?
#41Verfassertanja114 Nov 06, 11:51
Kommentar
Ich persönlich finde es schwierig, mit Menschen umzugehen, die nicht sagen, wenn etwas nicht in Ordnung ist. Ich bin so erzogen zu denken "Solange niemand etwas sagt, ist alles, so wie es sein soll". Wie soll ich erkennen, dass jemanden etwas stört/jmd. etwas nicht gefällt etc. wenn er nur höflich schweigt? Besonders wenn man jemanden nicht so gut kennt ist Hellsehen äußerst anstrengend :-)

Ich gehe sogar so weit zu behaupten, dass das vermeintlich höfliche Schweigen eine Unsitte ist. Denn so wird dem Gegenüber keinerlei Möglichkeit gegeben, etwas zu verbessern. Es kommt immer auf den Ton an, und ein freundlicher (!) Hinweis auf einen Missstand bringt viel mehr als stilles Leiden.
#42VerfasserBirgila/DE (172576) 14 Nov 06, 11:53
Kommentar
Das halte ich in der Tat für "rude even by German standards", Abra. Und ich habe auch Schwierigkeiten hier in Deutschland mit der Vorstellung, dass ein normaler Mensch so etwas tut.

Aber es gibt so grummelige Zeitgenossen, bei denen man immer den Eindruck hat, dass ihnen ihr Leben lang jeglicher menschliche Kontakt zuwider ist.
#43VerfasserSophil <de> (239990) 14 Nov 06, 12:01
Kommentar
Ja leider, Sophil, und die Hälfte davon ist Verkäuferin oder Busfahrer in München ;-)
#44VerfasserBirgila/DE (172576) 14 Nov 06, 12:04
Kommentar
oh, and I just remembered, having read all these polite, reticent, self-deprecating etc. American comments here:
My British friend once told me this story: He had been standing in a long queue at a Scottish bus station's ticket counter when suddenly a child in the middle of the queue puked on the floor. Everyone apart from the mother just pretended not to notice, even though it was a hot day and the smell was overpowering. Until suddenly a loud American voice was heard, demanding the disgusting mess be cleaned up. My friend thought the American was typically American but bloody right to do so, but never in a million years would any of the Brits have said a thing. It made him think, as he had always liked to think of himself as not typically British, especially since he was black. But when it came to "mustn't grumble", "let's not make a fuss" etc., he clearly was, after all.
#45Verfassertanja114 Nov 06, 12:07
Kommentar
Soll keine Entschuldigung für das wirklich sehr direkte, sprich: kraß unhöfliche Benehmen des Nachbarn sein, aber es könnte immerhin auch der Fall sein, daß er einmal schlechte Erfahrungen mit dem Einhüten, dem Betreten fremder Wohnungen in längerer Abwesenheit der Bewohner gemacht hat. (mir ist so etwas nämlich schon einmal vorgekommen :-( )
#46VerfasserPeter <de>14 Nov 06, 12:10
Kommentar
@tanja: Must've been a Yankee ;-)

But, on a more serious note, wouldn't it be considered nice to offer help?
#47VerfasserCJ unplugged14 Nov 06, 12:16
Kommentar
CJde, how?
As helpful as I am, I just couldn't do it if it involved puke. I remember once in an Indian airport a seemingly unaccompanied child sat next to me in the waiting area and then also proceeded to puke on the floor. As sorry as I felt for her (she seemed about 8, 9 years old), all I could do was give her a tissue, ask if she was ok and find her parents, and then quickly make for the hills before I would have puked right next to her. That seat, by the way, was hard won and I had to spend the rest of the night on the floor. I can't even wipe my own children down when they have puked. So I have full understanding for anyone not wanting to get involved, especially if the mother was there anyway...
#48Verfassertanja114 Nov 06, 12:24
Kommentar
Birgila, interessant, denn ich habe die Münchner Busfahrer als ungewöhnlich freundlich in Erinnerung. Meine Erfahrung beschränkt sich zwar auf nur etwa ein Dutzend Fahrten, aber das fiel mir damals positiv auf.

Peter, natürlich mag er gute Gründe gehabt haben. Ich denke, es ist nicht die Ablehnung der Anfrage an sich, die als unverschämt empfunden wird, sondern die Art und Weise. Ein normaler Mensch hätte gesagt: "Entschuldigen Sie, ich habe das früher mal gemacht, habe dann aber sehr schlechte Erfahrungen machen müssen. Ich habe mich damals entschlossen, nie wieder alleine fremde Wohnungen zu betreten. Ich hoffe, Sie verstehen das."
#49VerfasserSophil <de> (239990) 14 Nov 06, 12:35
Kommentar
@Tanja: I would looove to see the Borat movie, but I want to wait for the original version. :( And I think "it came out that" is proper AmE, but now you've got me worried....

@Sophil: Thanks, glad to hear it! I've never encountered anyone else in DE like him, so I'm happy to think he was an exception. And Peter, I understand his (possible) motivation, but as you said, really no excuse.

As to queuing (not proper AmE), when we were visiting the Tate Modern in London we were standing in line to get an ice cream when a group of tourists went straight to the front of the line and tried to order something and were told off by the vendor. In line in front of me, one English grandmother said to the other: "Bloody Italians! They haven't any idea how to form a proper queue!" Priceless.
#50VerfasserAbra (236397) 14 Nov 06, 12:37
Kommentar
@Birgila

Ich bin so erzogen zu denken "Solange niemand etwas sagt, ist alles, so wie es sein soll".

Hier musste ich an die immer noch bestehenden Unterschiede zwischen West- und Ostdeutschen denken. Auch für mich bedeutet Schweigen Zustimmung, wem etwas nicht passt, der wird sich schon melden. Mit Ostdeutschen habe ich aber oft die umgekehrte Erfahrung gemacht. Ich fühlte zwar, mit irgendeiner anderen Art von Wahrnehmung, dass an dem Schweigen des neben mir sitzende Ossi irgend etwas nicht stimmte, habe aber wohlgemut weiter geredet, bzw., wie ich es verstand, offen diskutiert. Nur, irgendwie lief ich ins Leere. Das ist mir öfter passiert, ich konnte aber nie den Finger darauf legen, was genau da kommunikativ bzw. nicht kommunikativ ablief.

Später habe ich dann im Spiegel, glaube ich, einen Artikel gelesen, dass Westdeutsche inzwischen in Business-Seminaren darauf hingewiesen werden, dass Schweigen bei Ostdeutschen eben nicht Zustimmung, sondern Ablehnung bedeutet, die aber nicht klar geäußert wird. S
#51Verfasserpuffin (240485) 14 Nov 06, 12:54
Kommentar
Sophil, woher kennst Du meine Antwort auf die entsprechende Frage lange nach der unangenehmen Erfahrung? ;-)) ich finde, wir ergänzen uns heute in hervorragender Weise!
#52VerfasserPeter <de>14 Nov 06, 13:03
Kommentar
Zum Thema hier ein Link zu einem Zeitartikel über die US-amerikanische Heuchelei

http://www.zeit.de/2006/46/Hypocrisy?page=4

Zitat:
Den verblüffendsten Ausdruck findet diese Umgangsform in den amerikanischen Action-Filmen. Der Held sieht, wie sein bester Freund von einer Granate getroffen wird, er sieht ihn straucheln, sieht ihn fallen, und selbstverständlich eilt er ihm zu Hilfe. Aber seine erste Frage an den Freund wird sein: »Are you okay?« Und der Freund, der eben ein Bein oder einen Arm verloren hat, wird ohne Zögern, wenn auch röchelnd antworten: »Don’t worry. I’m fine.«

#53Verfasserpuffin (240485) 14 Nov 06, 13:11
Kommentar
Another article warning Germans not to be too direct with us sensitive English speakers, see esp. page 2.
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/jobkarriere/erfolggeld/artikel/959/86873/
#54VerfasserAbra (236397) 14 Nov 06, 13:24
Kommentar
@Birgila
Yes, it is "anstrengend" if you're not used to it. It certainly requires a period of adjustment. But as someone who grew up in a more "direct" culture and then lived in a more circumspect one for a number of years, I have definitely come to value politeness. It's not so much that people "don't say anything" when they are unhappy, it's that you need to listen a bit more closely to hear it.

A recent example from work (in Germany): I had made a mistake when entering some information into our order processing system. A couple of days later, a colleague from the accounting department stormed into the open plan office I work in and started telling me off in front of everybody, saying how much extra work I had caused her and telling me to be more careful next time.

Obviously, she wanted me (and probably everybody else in the office) to know that I had made a mistake. But why on earth couldn't she have said something like: "Sorry, I just wanted to ask you about this job. The information in the system seems to be incorrect and I've had quite a job getting hold of the right data. Do you have any idea what could have gone wrong?" Then I would have said: "I probably forgot to update the information in the system." The mistake would have been acknowledged, I would have felt duly chastened, and everyone would have been happy. Is it really that difficult to criticise people without making them feel like complete idiots?
#55Verfasserdulcinea (238640) 14 Nov 06, 13:30
Kommentar
also dieses yes please und no thank you ist aber doch wohl ziemlich Englisch. Ich dachte immer, das wäre auch auf Deutsch wünschenswert und eigentlich üblich, es sieht aber nicht so aus: Wir haben das den Kindern auf Englisch so beigebracht und sie machen es auch auf Deutsch, und dann tun alle aber immer sehr überrascht. Ich hingegen schwanke zwischen Stolz und dem unguten Gefühl, dressierte Äffchen zu haben...So fast als ob die Kinder auch kleine Verbeugungen machen würden und die Metzgersfrau mit "Gnädigste" ansprechen würden.
#56Verfassertanja1 (236272) 14 Nov 06, 13:41
Kommentar
*sofortzutanjaeil* *schwankunginstolzstellungabstopp*

Mit dem Hute in der Hand
kommt man durch das ganze Land

habe ich mehr als einmal gehört und, anfänglich zögerlich, dann aus durch Erfahrung gespeister Zustimmung bewußt eingesetzt: probatum est!
#57VerfasserPeter <de>14 Nov 06, 13:51
Kommentar
@49DQM

"Kann ein Engländer nicht einfach deutlich ja, nein, ok, will ich, will ich nicht sagen....Wie viele Missverständnisse könnten vermieden werden"

Na ja. Du solltest schon wissen, dass wir "A nation of shopkeepers" sind. Alles auf Verhandlungsbasis.
#58VerfasserAd14 Nov 06, 13:56
Kommentar
@Peter und Tanja: Recht habt ihr und alle die meinen "Höflichkeit ist eine Zier doch weiter kommt man ohne ihr" sollten sich das noch einmal überlegen.
#59VerfasserRosanna14 Nov 06, 13:59
Kommentar
Dulcinea, das Verhalten deiner Kollegin war sicherlich völlig unnötig plump und verfehlt.

Aber eben weil die Deutschen es nicht geübt haben, die kleinen Feinheiten herauszulesen, ist Direktheit manchmal leider erforderlich. Ich habe selbst öfters Mitarbeiter zu führen, und aus Erfahrung weiß ich leider, dass kleinere Andeutungen, dass ein bestimmtes Verhalten optimierungsbedürftig ist, bei bestimmten Leuten nichts fruchten. Schon so manches Mal habe ich es erst auf die sanfte Tour probiert ("es wäre besser, wenn du das noch anders machen könntest"), aber geändert hatte erst etwas, als ich es den jeweiligen auf den Kopf zu klipp und klar dargelegt habe, was ich gerne anders hätte.

Ich versuche das zu vermeiden, denn letztlich fühle ich mich selbst schlecht dabei, aber manchmal geht es nicht anders.

Es ist aber keine Frage, dass so ein Rüffel unter vier Augen zu geschehen hat und die nötige Sachlichkeit wahren sollte.
#60VerfasserSophil <de> (239990) 14 Nov 06, 14:06
Kommentar
Don't worry, Sophil, there are plenty of Americans who don't pick up on these things, either, even though they should have had plenty of practice. Probably why we have so many ways to refer to these people: no social skills, socially inept, clueless, oblivious, can't take a hint, a scrub, a social retard.
#61VerfasserAbra (236397) 14 Nov 06, 14:22
Kommentar
@dulcinea "Yes, it is "anstrengend" if you're not used to it. It certainly requires a period of adjustment. But as someone who grew up in a more "direct" culture and then lived in a more circumspect one for a number of years, I have definitely come to value politeness."

Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate politeness very much! But is it really impolite to address something you're uncomfortable with? As I said, "Der Ton macht die Musik". We should learn to voice our concern or discomfort about something in a way that gives our conversational partner the chance to save face and to NOT feel like an idiot. An Example: I tend to talk too much in meetings - since a colleague made me aware of that (in a very friendly way btw) I do my best to better hold my horses. For me, this criticism was very helpful (and for my colleagues too I guess ;-)
#62VerfasserBirgila/DE (172576) 14 Nov 06, 14:33
Kommentar
"Kann ein Engländer nicht einfach deutlich ja, nein, ok, will ich, will ich nicht sagen....Wie viele Missverständnisse könnten vermieden werden"

Bezeichnend ist, dass nicht nur die "direkten" Deutschen manchmal Schwierigkeiten mit den britischen Höflichkeits- bzw. Vermeidungsfloskeln haben. Eine spanische Freundin, die in England lebt und dort mit einem Engländer verheiratet ist, erzählte mir, wie ihr damaliger Noch-freund in der Garage sein Auto reparierte. Sie war auch da und hörte, wie er, unter dem Auto liegend, sagte: " Hm, da wäre jetzt ein 10-er Schlüssel (oder so ähnlich) nötig". Pause. Dann: "Ich glaube, ein 10-er Schlüssel wäre da nicht verkehrt." Irgendwann hat sie durch eine quasi übernatürliche Eingebung mitbekommen, dass sie diejenige war, die das Werkzeug zur Verfügung stellen sollte. Und meinte dann zu mir, völlig fassungslos: "No te explican nada! Porqué no me pregunta, tiene miedo de mi??"
#63Verfasserpuffin (240485) 14 Nov 06, 14:33
Kommentar
@ puffin: Diese "quasi übernatürliche Eingebung" kann man trainieren! :-)

@birgila: Dann sind wir uns ja einig. :-)

#64Verfasserdulcinea (238640) 14 Nov 06, 14:40
Kommentar
www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,416920,00.html

take a look there and you'll see ...
#65Verfassersagittarius (254521) 15 Nov 06, 12:30
Kommentar
@dulcinea: Aber warum sollte man?
#66VerfasserCJ de (236383) 15 Nov 06, 12:34
Kommentar
CJ de - Wenn du jemanden liebst und/oder als Wohnungsgenossen hast, ist ein bisschen Hellsehenlernen schon angemessen. Bei allen anderen Zillionen Bekannten, Kollegen, Nachbarn, Mitreisenden, Trambahnfahrern, Wurstverkäuferinnen etc. wäre mir das allerdings tatsächlich ein bisschen zu viel Arbeit. :-)
#67VerfasserBirgila/DE (172576) 15 Nov 06, 12:45
Kommentar
Puffin, normalerweise ist es umgekehrt, nämlich dass die Frau - gleich welcher Nation - so verklausuliert redet ("Schau mal, die Jacke da, ist die nicht schön?") und dann entsetzt ist, dass der Mann ihren Wink mit dem Zaunpfahl nicht versteht (= ihr die Jacke kauft).

;-)
#68VerfasserSophil <de> (239990) 15 Nov 06, 13:01
Kommentar
@CJ de
Man muss natürlich nicht, wenn man nicht will. Ich wollte damit nur zum Ausdruck bringen, dass es nicht ganz so schwierig ist, diese indirekten Aussagen zu verstehen - man gewöhnt sich sehr schnell daran. Für mich persönlich ist das Zusammenleben so viel angenehmer und ich kann mich jetzt nur schwer an die deutsche Direktheit gewöhnen. Liegt vielleicht daran, dass ich ein Sensibelchen bin :-)
#69Verfasserdulcinea (238640) 15 Nov 06, 13:01
Kommentar
Lernen können ja wohl beide Seiten.
Wenn immer nur die "indirekten" erwarten, daß die anderen sie gefälligst richtig verstehen sollen, dann dürfen sie gerne lange drauf warten, verstanden zu werden.

Respekt ist halt eine Sache auf Gegenseitigkeit.

IMHO sind Direktheit und Unhöflichkeit zwei verschiedene Paar Schuhe, auch wenn das hier immer wieder anders andiskutiert wird.

#70VerfasserCJ de (236383) 15 Nov 06, 13:12
Kommentar
@Sophil - I hope that my husband doesn't read your post or talk to you! I point out lots of things and say "That's nice", but I don't want to own any of them. Don't be giving people (or men, haha!) ideas that that is normal!
#71Verfassergirly-girl<us>15 Nov 06, 13:12
Kommentar
Und by the way, wo zieht ihr die Grenze zwischen "Idirektheit" und "Manipulation"?
#72VerfasserCJ de (236383) 15 Nov 06, 13:19
Kommentar
girly-girl, das ist ja gerade das Schwierige! Natürlich wollen sie die Jacke nicht JEDESMAL. Aber manchmal eben doch, und wenn wir Männer das dann nicht erkennen, dann sind wir empathielose Trampel.

Na ja, es sind natürlich nicht alle gleich, aber es gibt diese Frauen, die erwarten, dass man hellsehen kann, und das nicht eben selten. Zumindest kommt mir als Mann es immer so vor. Frauen verstehen das vielleicht nicht. :-)
#73VerfasserSophil <de> (239990) 15 Nov 06, 13:26
Kommentar
Doch ich verstehe dich gut, Sophil. Und ich finde auch, dass du recht hast :-)

Eine Frau, die verstanden werden will, sollte sich klar äußern. Es gibt ja auch einen Mittelweg zwischen "Diese Jacke ist gar nicht so schlecht" und "Ich will, dass du mir gefälligst sofort diese Jacke Größe 38 in Schokobraun kaufst und mir zusammen mit einem selbstverfassten Sonett an Weihnachten auf Knien überreichst."

Viele Frauen spielen gerne das "Wenn du mich wirklich lieben würdest, dann wüsstest du, was ich wirklich will"-Spiel. Und dann sind sie maßlos enttäuscht von dem Doofi, der wieder nichts gepeilt hat :-) Frauen, die nicht kriegen, was sie wollen, sind selber doof, weil sie sich nicht richtig verständlich gemacht haben (Nicht ganz ernst gemeint!)
#74VerfasserBirgila/DE15 Nov 06, 14:15
Kommentar
> nd mir zusammen mit einem selbstverfassten Sonett an Weihnachten auf Knien überreichst."

LOL! Ja, wir verstehen uns. :-)
#75VerfasserSophil <de> (239990) 15 Nov 06, 14:25
Kommentar
Natürlich sind Direktheit und Unhöflichkeit nicht das Gleiche. Aber (zu) direkte Aussagen können eben als unhöflich aufgefasst werden. Es geht bei der Höflichkeit eben nicht nur darum, wie etwas gemeint ist, sondern auch darum, wie etwas unter Umständen verstanden werden könnte.

Zum Beispiel musste ich beim Beispielsatz von Sophil ein wenig schmunzeln - "Es wäre besser, wenn du das noch anders machen könntest" würde von einem Engländer schon als sehr deutliche Aussage verstanden werden. Die Grenzen sind eben fließend.

Wenn man weiß, dass es sich um einen kulturellen Unterschied handelt, dann kann man sich ja auch ein bisschen darauf einstellen. Aber ein wenig schockiert/verwundert ist man dann mitunter trotzdem, wenn man auf das jeweils andere "System" trifft.

Den Zusammenhang mit der Manipulation verstehe ich jetzt nicht ganz. (Übersetzt: "Mit Manipulation hat das nun wirklich rein gar nichts zu tun.")
#76Verfasserdulcinea (238640) 15 Nov 06, 14:26
Kommentar
@dulcinea: Nach meiner Erfahrung sind es die Leute mit den indirekten Ansagen nie gewesen, sie haben nie etwas gewollt, nie etwas gesagt und schon gar nichts gemeint.
Und wenn sie das gezielt betreiben, dann ist es Manipulation, erst zu fordern daß jemand bitte diese oder jene Schlußfolgerung aus ihrem Verhalten ziehen soll und dann nicht die Verantwortung dafür zu übernehmen.

#77VerfasserCJ de (236383) 15 Nov 06, 14:42
Kommentar
Schroffe Dirketheit ist m.E. auch in Deutschland unhöflich und höfliche und sensible Deutsche versuchen sie ebenso zu vermeiden wie die Engländer, ich finde die kulturellen Unterschiede nicht so groß, nur ist der Anteil der höflichen Menschen in Deutschland leider viel geringer (es gibt sie aber). Ich gehe auch abgestuft vor, wenn ich jemandem etwas potentiell unangenehmes, mühsames oder peinliches vermitteln muß, versteht er Andeutungen nicht bleibt einem eben nichts anderes übrig als direkt zu werden, auch wenn es unangenehm ist. Ich stimme aber zu, daß man in Deutschland nicht so weit geht wie "Would you like some salt?" wenn man selbst Salz will, kann aber aus England bestätigen, daß es tatsächlich so gemacht wird. Ein Deutscher würde sicher "no" antworten und weiteressen.
#78VerfasserGR15 Nov 06, 14:42
Kommentar
Ohne in die Diskussion über die Last und die Freud' mit der Direktheit einsteigen zu wollen (alles hat seine Zeit), ein paar kleine Beispiele (leider finde ich die Tabelle in Beziehung auf die Briten und die Deutschen nicht mehr, aber mit den Niederländern gehts genauso):

http://www.expatica.com/actual/article.asp?subchannel_id=159&story_id=15670

(ganz unten, ausdrucken, neben das Telefon legen)
#79Verfasserniwue (236546) 15 Nov 06, 15:11
Kommentar
Wie wäre es damit: in Deutschland direkt sein wie die Deutschen und in USA/UK etc. indirekt wie die Angelsachsen?

When in Rome, behave like the Romans.
#80VerfasserDr. med. Leistenschneider15 Nov 06, 15:23
Kommentar
Nachdem ich die Liste aus Nivuews Link gelesen haben, kann ich nur schlußfolgern daß die Briten immer reden wie Deutsche in Arbeitszeugnissen.
#81VerfasserCJ de (236383) 15 Nov 06, 15:29
Kommentar
Dr L.: wenn schon Sprichworte, dann auch bitte richtig zitieren:

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do".
#82VerfasserRoman15 Nov 06, 15:32
Kommentar
also wenn das in der Liste so stimmt, dann muss man irgendwie schon um 5 Ecken denken, um das zu verstehn was Briten meinen, wenn sie etwas sagen.
#83VerfasserRichi15 Nov 06, 15:34
Kommentar
Wobei ich speziell
Gesagt:I'm sure it's my fault.
Gemeinet: It is your fault !
irre finde.
#84VerfasserCJ de (236383) 15 Nov 06, 15:43
Kommentar
Ich finde das ganz gut und würde es in Deutsch häufig ähnlich machen, wie in der holländischen Liste den Engländern nachgesagt. Es ist doch unangenehm und unhöflich jemandem ins Gesicht zu sagen, daß man seinen Ideen doof findet oder ähnliches. Jemanden der das tut würde ich als ungehobelt und primitiv wahrnehmen. Mit etwas zurückhaltenderen Formulierungen kann der andere sein Gesicht wahren und er ist nicht eingeschüchtert.
#85VerfasserGR15 Nov 06, 15:43
Kommentar
I think this directness/indirectness thing should be learned along with the language. If I went round in Germany apologising the whole time and waiting politely for the shop assistant to attend to me, I'd still be in Karstadt now. On the other hand, my husband and I speak English at home and although we are in Germany, it wouldn't seem appropriate to me to use German behaviour when we speak English: I don't say "Give me the salt" as you simply don't say that in English. Anyway, he wants to learn English ways to avoid putting his foot in it quite so often when we visit my mother.

I know it can be annoying when we English are too polite or vague, but don't forget that when, for example, an English person deliberately understates a need ("Oh dear, I seem to have forgotten to bring a pen ...?") he or she is mentally patting herself on the back for being well-bred and restrained, just as he has been brought up to be. If someone reacts to this exemplary behaviour with irritation ("Why didn't you just ask for a pen?!") it can be very frustrating ("I go out of my way to be polite and friendly, and they can't even be civil!") and may give the impression that the other person is impatient and overbearing.

I know from my own experience that even though I know that people are not intending to be rude, when a stranger shouts out "Haaallooo!" to get my attention, for example, it can still sometimes leave me with a bad impression of them. How will an English person feel who is less familiar with German customs?
#86VerfasserCM2DD (236324) 15 Nov 06, 15:54
Kommentar
Und was ist gegen "Mir gefällt die Idee nicht so gut. Besser finde ich..." einzuwenden?
Vorteil 1: Die Aussage ist klar.
Vorteil 2: Ich bin nehme mein Gegenüber ernst.
#87VerfasserCJ de (236383) 15 Nov 06, 15:55
Kommentar
There must be a middle way between "Would you like the salt" and "Give me the salt."
"Would you pass the salt, please?" is about what I learned as the polite question.
#88VerfasserCJ de (236383) 15 Nov 06, 15:59
Kommentar
(Even - hehe) being German, I'd never say "Give me the salt". I know that we can sometimes come across as rude, crude, with no manners to speak of - but to use simple words like "Please" and "Thank you" have never hurt anyone.
#89VerfasserGermanGirl15 Nov 06, 16:13
Kommentar
Wenn man eine Idee für ungeeignet hält, spricht nichts dagegen, das auch auszusprechen und sachlich zu erklären. Eine Idee "interesting" zu nennen, und den anderen unter Umständen daran weiterwursteln und damit viel Zeit verlieren zu lassen, DAS nenne ich unhöflich!
#90VerfasserBirgila/DE15 Nov 06, 16:14
Kommentar
I disagree with this one:

"Oh, by the way…/Incidentally…. = The primary purpose of our discussion is ..... "

No, it means what it says.

Many of the others could also be understood as meaning exactly what they say, depending on how you say it. When I say that something is interesting I might well be telling the truth, of course.

To be honest, in some cases I think it would be rather silly of the other person to *always* take these things literally, though. Do Dutch people never say someone should come to dinner some time, when actually they don't have any plans to invite them round? Do Dutch (or German) people really never say "That's interesting" to someone boring them to tears? It makes them sound a tiny bit dull if that really is the case ...
#91VerfasserCM2DD (236324) 15 Nov 06, 16:17
Kommentar
Sorry, I should have written that I wouldn't say "Give me the salt please", you're right, of course, that Germans, even when direct, do have manners!
#92VerfasserCM2DD (236324) 15 Nov 06, 16:19
Kommentar
Birgila, fall doch nicht darauf 'rein! Unhöflich kann es doch nur denjenigen werden (durch die praktische, bittere Erfahrung), der den Code nicht kennt; jeder andere versteht sofort: "holla, da habe ich aber wohl nicht ganz ins Schwarze getroffen." Erst in dem Moment, wo der Engländer genau weiß, daß sein Gegenüber die (in seinen Augen höflich umschreibende) Floskel zum Nennwert nimmt (und weiterwurstelt), begeht er tatsächlich eine Unhöflichkeit.

Wissen ist Macht, wie man es auch dreht und wendet ;-)
#93VerfasserPeter <de> (236455) 15 Nov 06, 16:25
Kommentar
"Nachdem ich die Liste aus Nivuews Link gelesen haben, kann ich nur schlußfolgern daß die Briten immer reden wie Deutsche in Arbeitszeugnissen. "
81 Verfasser CJ de

Es ist tatsächlich ein bißchen so. Ist es nicht auch merkwürdig, dass in diesem Land das Arbeitszeugnis der einzige Bereich ist, wo definitiv nicht Klartext geredet wird ? Ich weiß, ich weiß, es ist nicht erlaubt.
Ansonsten finde ich, dass bei Arten der Kommunikation ihre Vor- und Nachteile haben. Bei der britischen Art geht es darum zwischen den Zeilen lesen, um die wahre Bedeutung zu erfassen. Man kann das tun, muss es aber nicht. Dadurch ist es immer möglich, das Gesicht zu wahren. Im Deutschen ist so eine flexible Wahrnehmung meist nicht möglich. Das hat den Vorteil der Klarheit. Man weiß, woran man ist.

#94Verfasserrosanna 15 Nov 06, 16:25
Kommentar
"Erst in dem Moment, wo der Engländer genau weiß, daß sein Gegenüber die (in seinen Augen höflich umschreibende) Floskel zum Nennwert nimmt (und weiterwurstelt), begeht er tatsächlich eine Unhöflichkeit. "

One problem here can also be that even when you have been told that others do not understand this weird means of expression, it is still quite hard to believe that they really don't understand that you are being ironic or can't spot the big hints you are dropping :-)
#95VerfasserCM2DD (236324) 15 Nov 06, 16:52
Kommentar
Nur zu wahr, CM2DD, wer kann schon aus seiner Haut?
#96VerfasserPeter <de> (236455) 15 Nov 06, 16:57
Kommentar
Ich habe englischsprachige Freunde, die ich schon lange kenne, und es kommt trotzdem immer wieder vor, dass ich nicht gleich kapiere, wie ernst (oder auch nicht) etwas gemeint war :-) Hätte ich einen britischen Chef, müsste ich sicherlich immer nachfragen.
#97VerfasserBirgila/DE15 Nov 06, 17:19
Kommentar
CM2DD
> Do Dutch people never say someone should come to dinner some time, when actually they don't have any plans to invite them round?

As far as I'm concerned, no. If I didn't want him to visit me, I'd not say that. Or the the other way round: If I say so, I mean it.

> Do Dutch (or German) people really never say "That's interesting" to someone boring them to tears?

True, this happens here and then. But usually I'd rather just nod and say "hmhm" and try to steer the conversation in a different direction.
#98VerfasserSophil <de> (239990) 15 Nov 06, 17:35
Kommentar
And don't put Dutch and German directness on the same level! The Dutch directness beats the German directness by far (with all its positive and negative effects) :)
#99VerfasserJoan 15 Nov 06, 18:00
Kommentar
Wow, das kann man noch steigern? Hast du ein Beispiel? Ich wäre ja froh, wenn nicht immer nur wir die Elefanten im Porzellanladen wären :-)
#100VerfasserBirgila/DE (172576) 15 Nov 06, 18:14
Kommentar
"I think this is crap", "You are completely wrong here" "You have to do it this way"
That's just todays experience in meetings. Its quite refreshing actually, and I know exactly what people think (which does not mean I agree, but I don't have to guess). Takes some time to get used to, however.
BTW, in the end we agreed to the original solution.
#101VerfasserJoan15 Nov 06, 18:56
Kommentar
While in Germany for a year abroad, I had spent a lot of time admiring my friends tea sets and wanted to buy one to take back to the US as they weren't widely available where I lived (coffee country). One evening I was in the city center and we walked by a shop where I had done a lot of window shopping and pointed out to my friends the tea set that I liked. One friend said, the exact words escape me, "What? You like that ugly thing? What about this one over here? It looks very nice."

I think of myself as a fairly direct American, even though I grew up with the "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" phrase, too (not just for Southerners, btw), but I have to admit that I was a little taken aback. Does anyone have an opinion of whether my friend's comment was completely normal and not intended as a critique of my taste? Or is it totally acceptable to say that you find someone's taste completely awful?
#102VerfasserAmy-MiMi15 Nov 06, 19:41
Kommentar
can I guess that both you and your interlocutor were quite young? Young people are so full of themselves, they tend to forget they're not the measure of all things, but other people's tastes and opinions are equally valid. I am sure, nowadays that same person would say something like "na ich weiß ja nicht, meins wäre es nicht. Mir gefällt das da hinten viel besser". Some people are still offended by that I suppose...
(or maybe she thought you were trying to find out what she would like for a leaving present, and tried to make sure to point you towards the right thing...)
#103Verfassertanja115 Nov 06, 19:49
Kommentar
tanja1, genau der Gedanke ist mir auch gekommen. So etwas sagt entweder jemand, der/die noch recht jung ist, oder aber auch diese typischen herablassenden Schicki-Damen, die sich gaaaanz sicher sind, das sie so einen gaaaaanz tollen Geschmack haben. Die haben auch so eine Art "Für mich wäre das ja nichts" zu sagen, dass man sich sofort wie die hinterletzte Dorfpomeranze fühlt.
#104VerfasserBirgila/DE (172576) 15 Nov 06, 20:31
Kommentar
@ mana_mp

As to your question the difference between English and German in communication, I would recommend this wonderful little essay by Scot W. Stevenson:

http://usaerklaert.wordpress.com/2006/10/08/plain-english-fur-komplizierte-deuts...

As to the rest, I would have to say that, on the whole, Germans are no more or less polite than Americans. Some differences in what constitutes politeness can be (and for me, have been) bewildering, but that is true anywhere.

Well, except for German civil servants and salespeople, maybe.
#105VerfasserSolitudinarian (236315) 15 Nov 06, 20:52
Kommentar
Mit dem Alter hat das nur bedingt etwas zu tun. Sicherlich, wenn man jung ist, ist man meist etwas exzentrischer.

Aber es kommt meines Erachtens viel mehr darauf an, wie gut man sich kennt. Einer flüchtigen Bekanntschaft würde ich das sicherlich anders vermitteln, aber einem guten Freund hätte ich vermutlich gesagt "Das da? Neeeee, das geht ja wohl gar nicht!" oder ich hätte ihm die Stirn gefühlt oder ähnliches.

Das macht irgendwie auch Freundschaft aus, dass man sich so etwas sagen kann, ohne dass der andere sich deswegen gleich vor den Kopf gestoßen fühlt. Wenn derjenige das zu dir so gesagt hat, möchte ich mal vermuten, dass er wenigstens eine gewisse Nähe und Vertrautheit zu dir gefühlt hat - sieh's also auch positiv! :-)
#106VerfasserSophil <de> (239990) 15 Nov 06, 20:58
Kommentar
Ach ja, und noch zwei Dinge, die ich noch loswerden wollte:

1. Zustimmung bezüglich der Direktheit der Holländer. Die Kommunikation ist dort sehr direkt, das habe ich auch schon zu spüren bekommen. Wohl mit ein Grund, warum ich die Art der Niederländer bewundere. Es gibt eine klare Ansage, und man weiß sofort, woran man ist und was man zu tun hat. Ich habe immer gerne dort gearbeitet.

2. Die Sache mit der Höflichkeit ist auch hier im Forum oft bemerkbar. Wenn Deutsche nach einem falschen Übersetzungsvorschlag eines anderen einen besseren machen, dann sagen sie "ABC ist falsch. Es muss XYZ heißen."

Amerikaner und Briten tragen oft (natürlich nicht immer) nur ihren eigenen Vorschlag ein, oder den vorherigen zu kommentieren, selbst wenn er grottenschlecht ist. Leider weiß der Anfragende dann oft gar nicht, welchen er nehmen soll, und greift möglicherweise zum ersten. Hier würde ich mir manchmal etwas mehr Klarheit wünschen.

Sicher, es gibt auch viele Amerikaner/Briten, die ihr Missfallen über andere Vorschläge deutlich machen, und Deutsche, die das nicht tun. Aber in der Tendenz sind Deutsche hier klarer. Diese Beobachtung habe ich zumindest schon häufiger hier gemacht.
#107VerfasserSophil <de> (239990) 15 Nov 06, 21:11
Kommentar

@Solitudinarian: Thanks for the link, interesting blog, but are you sure you didn't mean this one? Definitely exaggerated in spots, but also pretty funny.

@Sophil re #107: Yep, I've noticed that too. On the other hand, when I do take the time to say why I think some suggestions work better than others, often it's a German speaker who pops out of the woodwork to get on my case for being a Besserwisser. (Particularly if he was the one who had suggested one of the translations that I found dubious.) So when I think about it, I try to hedge my comments all around with wimpy phrases like 'To my ears' and 'In my experience' and 'Doesn't really work for me,' which then sounds less certain than I actually feel and makes for rather wordy comments. And it probably comes across to Germans as being terribly egocentric, because in German you avoid the first person like the plague, but in English it's just the most obvious way to express that others don't necessarily have to share your opinions.

[irony] How nice that at least here in the forum we're all aware of these pitfalls and never ever hold it against each other. (o; [/irony]
#108Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 15 Nov 06, 21:46
Kommentar
Ack! friends' tea sets, of course. According to Sophil's observation, the Americans and Brits just let that error go, while the Germans, hmmmm, must not have noticed it? Otherwise they would have pointed it out? ;-)

@tanja1, Birgila, Sophil: What's relatively young? We were, let's see, I was 23, my friend was probably a year or two older. We were at university. Is that young? And, I didn't make much out of it, since we were friends, but it must have been rattling around in my brain as something I didn't quite understand, because when I read this thread, it occurred to me.

Note, I asked the students in my class what they thought about this and one volunteered that she thinks it's perfectly fine to tell her friends that they look "hit" (i.e. bad), because they'll probably tell her the same thing tomorrow, and they mean it as a helpful suggestion that you should change your clothes, comb your hair or whatever.

@tanja1: Leaving present? I was supposed to give everyone a gift when I left Germany? Eek. That person is probably still grumbling about that rude Amy who didn't leave a gift, typical Americaker!
#109VerfasserAmy-MiMi15 Nov 06, 21:54
Kommentar
@ hm -- us

Good point - that's an even more apposite essay. That guy is great - he explains things so well, I just point students in his direction.

@ tanja1

What's all this about leaving presents? You mean I have to pay to get out of here, too?
#110VerfasserSolitudinarian (236315) 15 Nov 06, 22:14
Kommentar
Hm, I can assure you, I was particularly thinking of you when I wrote #107, as you came to my mind as the best example of someone who ususally manages to make herself rather clear about that without ever being rude. So no worries about that! (And believe me, I'm German, ich mein' das so!) :-)

Irgendwelche Spinner, die meinen, sie wüssten es nach einem Jahr Auslandsstudium besser als ein Native-Speaker, gibt es sicher immer wieder mal. Aber das ist doch die Ausnahme, oder?

> 'To my ears' and 'In my experience' and 'Doesn't really work for me,'
Yep, das mache ich auch sehr viel, da heißt das dann "m. E." oder "in meinen Ohren" oder "Ich glaube nicht, dass ..." Hier unterscheiden wir uns wohl nicht. :-)

> in German you avoid the first person like the plague
Ich glaube, da verwechselst du was. Das mag für Zeitungskommentare und wissenschaftliche Arbeiten gelten, aber nicht in einem Diskussionsforum. Zumindest ich ... na ja, siehe oben halt.
#111VerfasserSophil <de> (239990) 15 Nov 06, 22:39
Kommentar
Vor allem bei Amy-MiMis wundervoller (naja, schon ziemlich deftiger) tea set story fiel mir ein, was ich schon lange zu diesem Faden beitragen wollte, nämlich den Hinweis auf die Watzlawicksche Kommunikationstheorie mit ihrem Postulat von Inhalts- und Beziehungsebene, die in jeder Interaktion vorhanden und miteinander verschränkt sind. Genaueres bspw. hier: http://www.paedpsych.uni-koeln.de/medien/lehrertraining/nlp/watzlawikaxiome.html
Amy-MiMi: Was Deine Freundin wahrscheinlich gemeint hatte, ist: "_ich_ finde dieses Service potthäßlich", was sie wahrscheinlich nicht gemeint hatte, war: "wie kannst Du nur so einen schlechten Geschmack haben, _wo Du doch meine Freundin bist_?"
Ich würde zwar nicht sagen, daß die Äußerung, so wie sie getan wurde ("_Du_ findest das schön?") völlig normal sei, denn sie lädt zu Mißverständnissen geradezu ein, aber sie muß nicht per se einen Angriff auf die Person selbst darstellen. Das kann sie erst dann werden, wenn es zu einer Konfusion der beiden Ebenen kommt, dergestalt, daß der sachliche Inhalt der Mitteilung (eine unterschiedliche Bewertung eines Sachverhalts) auf die Beziehungsebene übertragen und die Kommunikation dort weitergeführt wird.
#112VerfasserPeter <de> (236455) 15 Nov 06, 23:04
Kommentar
@Amy MiMi - 102

Reading about the frank ("rude") reaction of your friend it came to my mind that sometimes German frankness can be meant as a proof of trust or intimacy among friends. If I was in the same situation with my boss, for example, I would probably politely agree with everything he/she said and every tea set pointed out to me, hiding my real opininion, my real self (which, in Germany, of course is considered "fake", since all we really want is to get to the "core" of thinks, deeeeeeeeeeeep down the Black Forest, Nietzsche and the Waldsterben, you know :-)) For many Germans, being with a friend and being able to tell them what you actually think is relaxing. Plus, it is a sign that we dare to disagree, that we open up and show who we really are, which does not mean that we disregard the other person's taste. If it's good natured among real friends it's more in the meaning of "we say tomatoes and you say tomatos".

But of course it all depends on the situation and whether this "friend" was really a friend.

#113Verfasserpuffin (240485) 16 Nov 06, 00:31
Kommentar
Even in German we have some small words, gestures and phrases which make a rude sounding comment a little bit gently. For not native speaker it’s difficult to understand these, so often people think about the rude direct german because they don’t understand our way of making some thing direct a bit polite. It’s the same as we have problems to understand the British way of saying some thing nice with a note of criticism.

An example for indirect communication in Germany:
I think in Germany there is a way of saying sorry through silence. You be quiet because you feel guilty for some thing and the other know you feel sorry because of this.
Maybe in England nobody will understand this way of saying sorry ???? <<--- maybe i am totally wrong with this</div>
#114Verfasserkuroineko (243654) 16 Nov 06, 03:28
Kommentar
Amy-MiMi, Solitudinarian, re leaving presents: you didn't think you could get out of jail free, did you...?
Seriously, I didn't know the circumstances of Amy's year abroad and the relationship to the friend. My first year abroad was spent as an au-pair, and I did get leaving presents for the people I stayed and worked with. Probably typical German brashness, putting them on the wrong foot, for all I know...
#115Verfassertanja116 Nov 06, 07:56
Kommentar
@ tanja1

Normalerweise bekommt doch eher, der der "leaved" ein "present". Zumindest als Au-Pair wurdest du da ja bezahlt, es ist ja nicht so, dass du ein Jahr kostenlos bei Freunden gewohnt hast.

Ich denke nicht, dass ein Abschiedgeschenk "zwingend" ist (wars vielleicht mal), weder von dem der geht noch von den anderen.

Aus meiner persönlichen Erfahrung ist ein Abschiedgeschenk FèR den der geht eher gebräuchlich als umgekehrt. Umgekehrt lädt vielleicht der "gehende" alle zum essen ein, mit denen er sich gut verstanden hat, oder macht eine Party.

#116VerfasserPaluda (236253) 16 Nov 06, 10:29
Kommentar
Was ich zum Thema Kommunikation auch spannend finde ist der Schulz von Thun (Miteinander reden 1-3, scheint grade als Neuauflage erschienen zu sein).
Manche Thesen aus Band 1, der immerhin schon 20 Jahre alt ist, irritieren mich zwar wegen ihres Glaubens an das Gute im Menschen, aber die Idee, daß an der Kommunikation 4 Ebenen beteiligt sind
(Sachebene, Selbstausdruck, Aufforderung, Beziehung) - und zwar sprechend und hörend - fand ich interessant und geeignet, viele Mißverständnisse zu erklären.
Ist doch klar daß es zu Verwirrung führt, wenn der Selbstausdruck im Aufforderungsohr landet ;-)
Womit wir bei Sophils Beispiel von "Das ist ein tolles Kleid" wären. (Nur war es da umgekehrt).
#117VerfasserCJ unplugged16 Nov 06, 10:52
Kommentar
Diese Diskussion hat in mir eine Frage aufgeworfen.

Wenn 'this is an interesting thought' von einem Engländer unterschwellig eher negativ gemeint ist, wie sagt ein Engländer dann wenn er den Gedanken wirklich interessant findet?

Ich höre mittlerweile schon aus jedem englischen Satz einen versteckten Vorwurf. :-)
#118Verfasservision.at (238586) 18 Nov 06, 11:24
Kommentar
@vision:

Fingerspitzengefühl :)

#119VerfasserEY (147393) 18 Nov 06, 12:12
Kommentar
"Wenn 'this is an interesting thought' von einem Engländer unterschwellig eher negativ gemeint ist, wie sagt ein Engländer dann, wenn er den Gedanken wirklich interessant findet?"[/i}

Wahrscheinlich sagte er "This thought is by no means completely uninteresting" ;-)
#120VerfasserBirgila/DE18 Nov 06, 19:45
Kommentar
"interesting" is a word which can, in English, mean everything from awful, to strange, to fascinating, to amazing ... it can me almost anything, depending how sarcastic one feels
i.e. the film was really interesting = der Film war wirklich interessant
i.e. well, that's ... interesting = naja, merkwürdig
i.e. oh, very interesting! = wie langweilig!
#121Verfassermanja (248376) 18 Nov 06, 20:01
Kommentar
"An example for indirect communication in Germany:
I think in Germany there is a way of saying sorry through silence. You be quiet because you feel guilty for some thing and the other know you feel sorry because of this.
Maybe in England nobody will understand this way of saying sorry ???? <<--- maybe i am totally wrong with this"<br/>from Verfasser 114

WHAT?!? I've been here almost 20 years (not British but Canadian) and was never aware of this type of sorry-saying. Just imagine how many times I may have missed this apology. I mean, my interpretation of silence during an Auseinandersetzung is in my eyes *just waiting for the storm to cross*. Germans, tell me this isn't a form of apology!

(Otherwise my unawareness just might have cost me my marriage (C: )

#122Verfassersyl in Berlin19 Nov 06, 15:20
Kommentar
Not really sure if it's a way of "saying sorry", but it's definitely a way of saying that you feel sorry, that you are ashamed of what you've done or not done.

But to put your mind at ease, it all depends on "Gestik and Mimik" - being silent can also mean that you are "just waiting for the storm to cross". I think you would have noticed from his facial expression if your possible hubbie had been really sorry.
#123VerfasserSophil <de> (239990) 20 Nov 06, 00:51
Kommentar
...thanks Sophil, I feel better now.

I think.

#124Verfassersyl in Berlin20 Nov 06, 14:42
Kommentar
Manja:

n I was practically tarred and feathered when I told an encounter-type group that I'd found the experience "interessant."
#125VerfasserNightman22 Nov 06, 14:28
Kommentar
What is an "encounter-type group"?
#126VerfasserBirgila/DE (172576) 22 Nov 06, 14:40
Kommentar
zu: die Deutschen sind direkt und meinen was sie fragen/sagen.
Ich habe ich einen Kollegen, der floskelhafte, sinnentleerte Alltagsprache nicht ertragen kann und auf jede Begrüßungsfloskel "Na, wie geht's (Ihnen) heute?" mit der Gegenfrage "Wollen Sie das wirklich wissen? antwortete. Wir haben unser Verhalten geändert und wünschen und jetzt einen guten Tag.
#127VerfasserGer0108 Feb 07, 00:35
Kommentar
This has been so interesting (ich meine das wirklich!) to read. As an English speaker, I don't usually think about how heavy in context English can be, but it's very true. Tone and context can be hugely important.

I came in close contact with Europeans for the first time as a teenage exchange student, and it led to some interesting conversations. I got in a big fight with a Hungarian friend once. He paid me a compliment, but I thought he was making fun of me. Naturally he got rather upset that I got a bit irate when he was just being nice! That was the first time I realized that what sounds obviously over- (and thus faux-) earnest to English speaking ears can be completely sincere coming from continental Europeans, who are born without the sarcasm gene and therefore are limited to simply saying what they mean, poor bastards. ;)

So you see, it's not only poor honest Germans who suffer from Anglo-Saxon opacity. Cultural misunderstandings go both ways.

Of course, in Thailand, where we were all living, you couldn't get a straight yes or no out of anyone even with the most gruesome torture. But they also call you fat to your face if you put on a couple pounds (I don't have a problem with straightforwardness, but unsolicited opinions are another matter entirely). Worst of both worlds!
#128VerfasserJones08 Feb 07, 05:50
Kommentar
Huh, ich hab eigentlich die Erfahrung gemacht das der/die in Deutschland sehr beliebte deutsche Sarkasmus/Ironie im Ausland mal so garnicht verstanden wird. Muste nach meinen Umzug nach Berlin meinen Freunden aber auch erstmal beibringen das es in Hessen sowas wie Ironie gibt. Wir haben dann eingefuehrt das ich wenn noetig ein imaginaeres Ironie Schild hochhalte.

Scheinbar hat jeder das Problem das in anderen Regionen Ironie, Witze, Komplimente anders verstanden werden. Und wenn dann noch ne Fremdsprache dazu kommt....

Ich hab hier (Japan) mit English bzw. meinem grottigen Japanisch immer wieder das Problem, dass ich Woerter und Sinn des Satzes verstehe, ihn aber nich in Zusammenhang mit dem Gespraech oder der Situation bringen kann. Ist immer eine lustige Situation wenn ich probiere meinen Gegenueber klar zu machen das ich ihn schon verstehe, aber keinen schimmer habe was er mir damit sagen moechte.
#129Verfasserkuroineko08 Feb 07, 06:37
Kommentar
das wichtigste in der richting ist folgende einstellung der Standarddeutschen wenn etwas gut war: sags weiter! erzähls deinen Freunden deinen bekannten der Familie usw.

Wenn was Mist war sags mir! es nützt mir nix wenn du überall erzählst das bei mir was schief läuft, aber wenn du es mir sagst, u d deine Kritik richtig ist, dann kann ich was ändern!

Mir ist negative sachliche Kritik lieber.

Ich will wissen was mist ist.
Im gegensatz Lob für mich ist bei anderen leuten besser angebracht.!
#130VerfasserBlackbear17 Sep 08, 01:07
Kommentar
Another old thread resurrected!
Re #22 and 23 (I know Selkie is still around, I think tigger is too): Not too long ago I read an article in "Foreign Language Annals" (I think) about differences in discourse between American English and German. One of the differences that I remember is dealing with compliments.

If someone offers a compliment in the US, the proper response is "Thank you". That closes the exchange, and the conversation must move on to another topic. (e.g. "Oh, I just love your curly hair when it's wet!" "Thank you.")

In Germany, the proper response to a compliment is a comment on the compliment or thing complimented. (e.g. "Oh I just love your curly hair when it's wet." "But it gets so tangled if I don't use conditioner." "Have you tried . . .") This invites a further response and has the effect of continuing the conversation instead of closing it.

This helps explain why Americans generally are clueless about the paucity of "thank you" among Germans.
#131VerfasserRobert -- US (328606) 17 Sep 08, 05:41
Kommentar
Thanks, Robert, I'll try that in the future... I've been already told off for my reactions to compliments, which are often rather along the lines of "contradicting." I just feel very strange simply saying "thanks," but maybe it helps if I take it as just another cultural difference (and tell myself the contradiction silently...).

In Germany, some people introduce agreement with "nein, ..." It's supposedly a regional thing, but somehow I've also started doing it. I *think* that it doesn't exist in English (just as in many if not most German-speaking areas)... or am I wrong?
#132VerfasserAnne17 Sep 08, 09:04
Kommentar
> some people introduce agreement with "nein, ..."

Sorry, I don't get it. Hast du mal ein Beispiel?
#133VerfasserSophil <de> (239990) 17 Sep 08, 16:27
Kommentar
@Sophil:
Person A: Ich finde bla-bla-bla.
Person B: Nein, das sehe ich genauso. (...)

Auf "hochdeutsch" (oder rein aus logischen Gründen) sollte man da einfach ein "Ja" erwarten. :o)

Und wo wir gerade dabei sind: Warum immer nur USA vs. Deutschland? Weiß irgendwer, wie das die Polen sehen? Nur so aus aktuellem Anlaß. Eine Polin hat mir angelegentliich versichert, wir sollten uns doch wiedersehen... und jetzt bekomme ich ein bißchen den Eindruck, ob ich sie mit meiner Anfrage ein bißchen störe.
#134VerfasserAnne17 Sep 08, 23:34
Kommentar
Und wie heißt die unlogische Region, aus der Du stammst? So habe ich das noch nie gehört. Ich kenne nur das "Nu!" der Sachsen... was "Ja" bedeuten soll.
#135VerfasserLady Grey (235863) 18 Sep 08, 00:02
Kommentar
@121 & 125:

das ist doch bei interessant ganz genauso. Vielleicht würde die Deutschen nicht gerade mit "interessant" lügen, wenn sie etwas todlangweilig finden, aber beispielsweise eine hausgemachte Speise als "interessant" zu bezeichnen kommt einem ehrlichen "ungenießbar" schon sehr nahe.
Auch Deutsche versuchen, nicht zu brutal zu sein, auch wenn sie nicht gerne dem Gegenüber die Huck voll lügen. Meistens vermeidet man einen negativen Kommentar dadurch, dass man lieber ganz den Mund hält.
#136VerfasserLady Grey (235863) 18 Sep 08, 00:09
Kommentar
ladygrey, Absurdistan vielleicht?

Mir ist so ein Verhalten auch noch nicht begegnet. Ich kenne höchstens den Ausruf "Nein, was für xxx!" Aber das ist keine Bestätigung zu vorher Gesagtem.
#137VerfasserSophil <de> (239990) 18 Sep 08, 00:11
Kommentar
Damit es nicht nur bei USA-Deutschland bleibt.

Ich finde die Englaender sind Experten im Drumherumreden statt einfach zu sagen, woraus es geht. (Klar, das heisst dann Hoeflichkeit, aber man muss es ja nicht zum Extrem treiben.) Die Schotten sind nach meiner Erfahrung ein bisschen unkomplizierter. Ebenso Amerikaner.
Die Australier sind fast noch direkter als wir Deutschen, das finde sogar ich manchmal ein bisschen krass.
Das Ganze ist also keine Frage der deutschen oder englischen Sprache (wie die Eingangsfrage nahelegte), sondern eine Frage der Landeskultur.
#138VerfasserLondoner(GER)18 Sep 08, 01:39
Kommentar
"I'll think about it" is quite helpful as it could mean

1. Exactly what it says - the proposal sounds interesting to me but I need time to weigh the advantages / disadvantages.

or

2. I don't want to say "no" as I'm in no mood for the discussion being triggered by this "No" --> I'm trying to "buy myself time" hoping that the other person will forget about the issue in the meantime.

In both contexts it'll help to "buy time" as it conveys that I don't want to be pressed regarding the matter.
#139VerfasserCatDaddy (270948) 19 Sep 08, 11:55
Kommentar
@Anne #132: As long as you start with "Thank you", you can then make a comment about the thing complimented - but don't be too extreme.
- "That's a nice dress." "Thank you; it's been hanging in my closet for years."
- "I really like your new hairdo." "Thanks! I thought I'd try something different. So, you really do like it?"
- "What a great-looking hat." "Oh thanks. I picked it up for a song."
- "Mmm! That pie was delicious." "Thanks a lot. It's a new recipe and I wasn't sure about it. I'm glad it turned out all right."
- "My, what a lovely centerpiece." "Thank you. It looked so nice in the store I just had to buy it."

@Cat Daddy #139: "I will give it all due consideration" is a variation that also buys you time. "All due consideration" may be the time it took to listen in the first place, or you may spend more time thinking over the matter. It's especially useful for people in positions of authority or supervision - particularly in volunteer organizations.
#140VerfasserRobert -- US (328606) 19 Sep 08, 23:08
Kommentar
I think there are different sets of rules for the exchange of compliments in England.

Pattern 1:

"You're such a good driver."
"Oh not really, I'm always losing my way and have to ask for directions."
"But your car is so beautiful. It's a BMW isn't it. So much nicer than my Mecedes
"I couldn't choose the car myself. I would have preferred a nice green one like yours."

Pattern 2:

"Christ almighty! Where did you learn to drive? On the dodgems?"
"We can't all drive like a frigging schoolmistress."
"I suppose it's to be expected from someone who drives a BMW."
"At least It's better than that battleship you insist on driving "

#141VerfasserMikeE (236602) 20 Sep 08, 00:01
Kommentar
Here's an example of a misunderstanding arising from indirectness:
A man from the US, married, living in Germany, is at a cafe with a friend. He gets into a conversation with a German woman at the next table, and when she suggests doing something together -- I didn't get quite what, cooking or going out to dinner or catching a movie, whatever -- he says "Oh, you'd have to ask my wife about that" with a friendly grin -- and he thinks he has clearly told her, No way, no chance, I won't be going out with you!
But it's a pretty small town, and the next day, as he and his wife are out shopping, he sees the woman again -- and she sees him, and comes up to him and they say Hi and then she asks, "So, is this your wife?" and he says Yes and introduces them -- and then the woman actually asked the wife about the possibility of going out with the husband.
Not that I think the German woman's actions were typically German or anything, but it was kind of cute how the man thought he'd clearly said "No" just by indicating that he was married, and was totally shocked to have his words taken literally. :-)
#142VerfasserBethy (448636) 20 Sep 08, 00:35
Kommentar
If you want to NEVER EVER get a straight answer you need to go to the So. Island of NZ.
Bed and Breakfast:
Fuji: "So, at what time should I come down for breakfast tomorrow morning?"
Kiwi B&B Lady: "Oh.. Winnivvah" (Meaning "whenever")
Fuji: "Whenever? You have no preference? No ball park time in which I should show up?"
Kiwi B&B Lady: "Nou... Reeely, winnivvah, inny toime, reeely..." (Meaning "No... Really, whenever, any time, really...")
Fuji: "Any time? You do not have a set time, like between this hour and that hour?"
Kiwi B&B Lady: "Nou... Inny Toime... sime to me, reeely" (Meaning: "No... Any time.. Same to me, really")
Fuji: "How about 5 o'clock?"
Kiwi B&B Lady: "ohhhhhh...Nou... thett would be wy too ehly" (Meaning: "ohhhh... No... That would be way too early")
Fuji: "6 o'clock?"
Kiwi B&B Lady: "Nou... thett would alsou be wy too ehly" (Meaning: No... That would also be way too early")
Fuji: "How about 11 o'clock?"
Kiwi B&B Lady: "But... thett would be too lite, wouldn't it?" (Meaning: "But... That would be too late, wouldn't it?")
Fuji: "I wouldn't know, you tell me: you said whenever... How about 10 o'clock"
Kiwi B&B Lady: "Will... thett would be too lite, alsou" (Meaning: "Well... That would be too late, also")
Fuji, at the end of his rope: "How about 8:30am?"
Kiwi B&B Lady: "Ok... Winnivvah...")
Fuji: "ok 8:30am or whenever? is 8:30am ok with you?"
Kiwi B&B Lady: "I think sou" (Meaning: "I think so")
Fuji: "You think so or is truly ok to be here at 8:30am?"
Kiwi B&B Lady: "Will..." (meaning "well...")
Fuji: "I'll be down here at 8:30am tomorrow morning!"
Kiwi B&B Lady: "Ok thinn...") (meaning "ok then...")

A truly draining experience....
#143VerfasserFujiApple (250126) 20 Sep 08, 00:55
Kommentar
Miscommunication can occur between people from the same country. A friend of mine moved from California to Tennessee. Since he was temporarily without a car, he asked a local if he would take him into town that afternoon. The man replied, "I wouldn't care to." My friend resigned himself to making other arrangements. At the suggested time the man showed up ready to go. For him "I wouldn't care to" = "Sure, I'm willing to do it."
#144VerfasserRobert -- US (328606) 20 Sep 08, 09:21
Kommentar
@ all

ich finde diese ganze disskussion ist ziehmlich interessant und ich würde mich freuen wenn ihr sie weiterfüheren würdet ich halte morgen zu diesem thema ein referat und das hier ist ein grossteil davon

viel spaß beim weiterschreiben
#145VerfasserMirco23 Nov 08, 13:48
Kommentar
Mirco, Du benutzt einen Faden als Grundlage für Dein Referat den Du noch nicht einmal selbst angeregt hast? Die Jugend von heute! ;-)
#146VerfasserLady Grey (235863) 23 Nov 08, 19:22
Kommentar
Hurra! Fadenexhumierung + meo mag nicht arbeiten = Senf dazugeben :)

Also ich hab mir grad den in #8 erwähnten Spiegel-Artikel durchgelesen und muss sagen, dass ich mich da nicht wiederfinde. Ich würde jedenfalls nie jemanden fragen, ob er/sie zugenommen hat?? Jedenfalls nicht ernsthaft. Außerdem komme ich mir nach Überfliegen des Fadens hier irgendwie undeutsch vor, weil ich mich gern und oft bedanke und, äh, bebitte ;)
Und chronisch unpünktlich bin ich auch, aber die deutsche Pünktlichkeit wurde hier ja schon entmystifiziert *g*
#147Verfasserm to the E to the o24 Nov 08, 09:55
Kommentar
Dazu auch eins meiner Lieblingsbücher zum Thema:

Watching the English von Kate Fox.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Watching-English-Hidden-Rules-Behaviour/dp/0340818867
#148Verfasseranorak (489071) 24 Nov 08, 10:35
Kommentar
@#118

Well, this is quite an interesting thought. Would be the appropriate response if you were truly interested in it.
#149VerfasserM00nshine (512668) 24 Nov 08, 21:53
Kommentar
Some years ago I worked in an international team with an American director. When he said to my German colleague, "Why don't you..." (a polite command), the German answered his question! ("Well, this is why...")
#150VerfasserAnnie24 Nov 08, 22:35
i Nur registrierte Benutzer können in diesem Forum posten