ɛɜɪɔʊəɑɐɒæ
Konsonantensystem
ŋθʃʒçʍɹɻɫɾ
Diakritische Zeichen
ˈː

leo-ende

BetreffAlter Charmeur!24 Antworten    
Quellen
Wenn jemand besonders charmant ist, wird er gern von Freunden scherzhaft bzw. liebevoll als "Alter Charmeur!" betitelt. Wie kann das auf Englisch ausgedrückt werden?
Kommentar
Danke!
VerfasserFoxyHF (852746) 02 Apr 12, 20:40
Kommentar
Old charmer!

ginge, z.B.
#1Verfasserdude (253248) 02 Apr 12, 20:42
Kommentar
Depending on the age demographic: You're such a darling / sweetie.

"charmer" seems odd in English to me, although Leo has it. It sounds like someone who likes to charm people, rather than someone who is charming---which is meant, Foxy?
#2Verfassercryme (795004) 02 Apr 12, 21:10
Kommentar
of course a "charmeur" wants to charm the ladies, that's the point! Charmer (see dude),flatterer,sweet-talker are my suggestions. (German: Schmeichler)
#3VerfasserGudrun L (458686) 02 Apr 12, 21:35
Kommentar
A charming person is meant.
You are right, cryme, charmer seems odd to me too.
#4VerfasserFoxyHF (852746) 02 Apr 12, 21:35
Kommentar
the Cambridge International English Dictionary has: charmer, person with attractive qualities, also a person who uses their attractiveness to influence others
#5Verfassermikefm (760309) 02 Apr 12, 22:11
Quellen
THE TAKER
written by Kris Kristofferson & Shel Shilverstein
He's a charmer, and he'll charm her
With money and manners that i never learned
He's a leader, and he'll lead her
Across pretty bridges he's planning to burn
http://www.guitaretab.com/k/kristofferson-kris/10046.html

Matt Bellamy - Matt Bellamy's Ex Warns Hudson: 'He's A Charmer'
Muse star Matt Bellamy's ex-girlfriend has issued a warning to his pregnant fiancee Kate Hudson, insisting the British rocker is a "total charmer" with commitment issues.
http://www.contactmusic.com/news/matt-bellamys-ex-warns-hudson-hes-a-charmer_121...
Kommentar
#5: ...and is commonly used to describe a guy who charms the ladies in my experience. "Charmer" doesn't seem odd to me at all.
#6Verfasserwupper (354075) 02 Apr 12, 22:20
Kommentar
"charmer" is not odd to me at all (AE)

"You're such a charmer....." totally normal
#7VerfasserTodd (275243) 02 Apr 12, 23:12
Kommentar
#1 support old charmer - perhaps he is an old roue
old conveying habitual
#8Verfassernoli (489500) 02 Apr 12, 23:13
Übersetzungcharmer
Kommentar
There are cultural differences. In some cultures somebody who is charming is seen as positive and appropriate and in others he (generally a he) is seen a sleazebag. Depending on the personality of the "charmer" I guess and the way the behaviour is seen.
#9VerfasserElke AUS (334172) 03 Apr 12, 02:51
Kommentar
I agree, Elke. That's what I was trying to get at, which I think Foxy understands from his/her post. Let's just say that some "charmers" are not charming. ;-)

That's why I would steer clear of "charmer", and no one, but no one likes being called "old" to begin with.
#10Verfassercryme (795004) 03 Apr 12, 03:05
Kommentar
I have no idea what cultures you're talking about, Elke. Where is "charming" seen as "sleazy"? Or someone charming as a sleazebag? The only way I can see that is if it's meant maybe sarcastically, but generally speaking I think "charming" is thought of positively in all English-speaking cultures.
#11Verfasserdude (253248) 03 Apr 12, 04:39
ÜbersetzungCharmeur
Quellen
Well, I have been in situations where I would have said in German: Er ist ein Charmeur. And I would have meant that as a positive thing. But if I had said anything in English, it would have come out negative and people around me would have straightaway made jokes about the person's motives.
#12VerfasserElke AUS (334172) 03 Apr 12, 05:05
Kommentar
The American culture has that meaning of "charmer" too. It can mean a sleaze-bucket. ;-)

Watch out for him, he's quite a charmer.

You would be being warned not to fall into his lair with his "charming" facade.
#13Verfassercryme (795004) 03 Apr 12, 05:13
Kommentar
The American culture has that meaning of "charmer" too. It can mean a sleaze-bucket. yes, if it's said in a sarcastic manner; other than that I have never encountered it that way, cryme. But I'd be happy to learn something new here if other English speakers agree.

@Elke: I still don't quite understand your point. If you had said what in those situations? "Charmer"? And what sort of situations were they? Why would people have started making jokes? Sorry, but I just don't follow you.
#14Verfasserdude (253248) 03 Apr 12, 05:50
Kommentar
Well, there's a difference between 'You old charmer, you,' 'What a charmer you are,' etc., and 'You dirty old man, get your hands off me!' But neither one would probably be seen as particularly trustworthy.

Maybe 'old' is the word that sounds the most suspect. In English it probably doesn't come across as very affectionate; it's not polite to make a point of someone's age.

With a more specific context, we might be able to suggest something more appropriate, like

Oh, you're always so full of compliments!
You really know how to flatter a woman!
Well, it's very kind of you to say that ...

etc.
#15Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 03 Apr 12, 07:31
Kommentar
#8 I don't know who you mix with but it's just a gentle way of saying: one can*t take your compliments seriously... see my #8: you make it a habit...
#16Verfassernoli (489500) 03 Apr 12, 08:08
Kommentar
noli, #16, That's borderline incomprehensible. You referenced yourself (#8), but maybe it makes cryptic sense. One never knows. I'm sure I'll get hate posts from you. ;-)
#17Verfassercryme (795004) 03 Apr 12, 08:24
Kommentar
Ich würde meinen, dass auch "Charmeur" in beide Richtungen verstanden werden kann. Gerade ein "alter Charmeur" hat auch etwas von dem Ruch eines grauhaarigen Kerls an sich, der jungen Mädchen nachläuft. Johannes Heesters mit seiner Urenkelin von Ehefrau fällt für mich beispielsweise in diese alter-Charmeur-Kategorie.
#18VerfasserRestitutus (765254) 03 Apr 12, 09:07
ÜbersetzungCharmeur
Quellen
@14 - I believe that you can have the same man behaving the same way and saying the same things in two different countries. In one country, he would be seen as a "Charmeur" and that would be a positive thing, but in the other, he would come across partially as a sleazebag at least. Different ways of relating to each other. A bit like the same joke told by the same person in the same way by somebody that is truly bi-lingual - and in one country he/she would be seen as funny, in the other country, people would be offended.

@15 Alter Charmeur - doesn't need to be "old" more like it was suggested below, that it is something that person might do often. Like "alter Witzbold" or something like that.
I agree with "what a charmer you are" sounds very different to: "get your hands off me". But if people talk about somebody else, and call them a "charmer", I think the sleazebag meaning can be implied. If they say: what a charmer you are - it's meant at least slightly positive.
#19VerfasserElke AUS (334172) 03 Apr 12, 09:10
ÜbersetzungCharmeur
Quellen
@18 - wahrscheinlich hast du Recht. Vielleicht liegt der Unterschied darin, ob man die Person direkt anspricht, oder über sie spricht?
#20VerfasserElke AUS (334172) 03 Apr 12, 09:13
Kommentar
#19 there are different words: again I refer you to my #8 - there is a distinct difference between charmer and a roué which infers licentiousness etc. there are words for most things...
#21Verfassernoli (489500) 03 Apr 12, 09:52
Kommentar
Zu #18

De mortuis nil nisi bene...

Johannes Heesters war 46 Jahre älter als seine zweite Ehefrau. Da hätte sie vom Alter her seine Enkelin sein können, aber keineswegs seine Urenkelin! (Seine Enkelin war 63 Jahre jünger als er.)
#22VerfasserMiMo (236780) 03 Apr 12, 10:24
Kommentar
Ich hätte ja nicht gedacht, dass das einer nachgucken geht. :-)
#23VerfasserRestitutus (765254) 03 Apr 12, 11:46
Kommentar
and speaking of nachgucken, here's a couple of examples. Bottom line, I guess, is that it all depends (as usual) on context:

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/06/21/travel/frugal-traveler-that-old-charmer-budape...
FRUGAL TRAVELER; That Old Charmer, Budapest

http://www.thisisdorset.net/news/tidnews/9549598.Tributes_are_paid_to____old_cha...
Poole Quay victim identified as "old charmer" Percy Toms
Bob Kerr, landlord at The Poole Arms pub, said: “Every summer Percy could be found outside singing to the customers for a few coppers in his charity tin. He was a bit of an old charmer and will be much missed.”

Interestingly, almost all the hits I got referred to real estate, and among those that didn't I was unable to find any that might convey the negative aspects of a human.
#24Verfasserdude (253248) 03 Apr 12, 13:06
i Nur registrierte Benutzer können in diesem Forum posten