• Sonderzeichen
  • Lautschrift
Source Language Term

Unbeschuhte Karmeliten (OCD) [rel.]

5 replies    

Discalced Carmelites (O.C.D.)

Examples/ definitions with source references
Die Unbeschuhten Karmeliten (Ordenskürzel: OCD) sind der männliche Zweig der Reformbewegung des Teresianischen Karmels.
Barefoot Carmelites
Authorwmw (386353) 19 Feb 12, 20:36

Never ever heard of the word "discalced".... although it does exist in Google.

"Discalced" might be the proper word if you are writing to a group of Catholic scholars.

Otherwise, the term "barefooted" would be more easily understood by simple laypeople such as myself.

#1AuthorABC USA (763137) 21 Feb 12, 18:04
Entscheidend ist wohl, wie sich der Orden selbst bezeichnet, und das scheint in der Tat "Discalced Carmelites" zu sein: http://www.discalcedcarmel.com/ "Unbeschuht" ist übrigens auch im Deutschen ein höchst ungebräuchliches Wort.
#2AuthorRE1 (236905) 21 Feb 12, 18:13
Context/ examples
discalced [dɪsˈkælst]
(Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) barefooted: used to denote friars and nuns who wear sandals

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

#3Authorwmw (386353) 21 Feb 12, 23:21
Yes, Discalced Carmelites is the correct term. Perhaps because the Carmelites are not a particularly large order, the term is not well known, but it is known by those who have any contact with that order. I would only use the term "barefooted" in this context to explain to someone what the name of the order means.
#4AuthorSharper (238296) 22 Feb 12, 04:57
#5Authornoli (489500) 22 Feb 12, 07:32
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum
LEO uses Cookies in order to facilitate the fastest possible website experience with the most functions. In some cases cookies from thrid parties are also used. For further information about this subject please refer to the information under  Leo's Terms of use / Data protection (Cookies)