• Sonderzeichen

• Lautschrift

leo-ende
Werbung
Falscher Eintrag

Softly, softly catchee monkey. [fig.] - Mit Geduld und Spucke fängt man eine Mücke. [fig.]

16 Antworten    
Korrektur

Softly, softly catchee monkey.

-

Mit Geduld und Spucke fängt man eine Mücke.

Beispiele/ Definitionen mit Quellen
Siehe Wörterbuch: spucke
Softly, softly catchee monkey. = Mit Geduld und Spucke fängt man eine Mücke.

The rest of the few nineteenth-century examples that I’ve found likewise imply or state that it originated in a native West African expression that was brought back in translation to Britain
Kommentar
Unless other AE speakers are familiar with this phrase in AE, I suggest ading a BE tag to the English side.
VerfasserAmy-MiMi (236989) 17 Mai 17, 02:54
Kommentar
Ich kenne das deutsche Sprichwort so:
"Mit Geduld und Spucke fängt man so manche Mucke."
#1VerfasserMiMo (236780) 17 Mai 17, 04:35
Kommentar
Sorry, typo correction: I suggest adding a BE tag to the English side.
#2VerfasserAmy-MiMi (236989) 17 Mai 17, 05:03
Kommentar
I support the suggestion, and would even wonder whether modern-day BE speakers feel the saying is still current. It sounds a bit, er, colonial.
#3Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 17 Mai 17, 06:02
Kontext/ Beispiele
Google Books:
"Mit Geduld und Spucke fängt man eine Mucke" --- Cerca de 152 resultados
"Mit Geduld und Spucke fängt man eine Mücke" --- 5 resultados
Kommentar
Zur deutschen Seite:
Damit es ich reimt, muß es auf jeden Fall "Mucke" heißen, ohne Umlaut. Wie von der Google-Büchersuche bestätigt (s.o.). Eine normale Google-Suche findet merkwürdigerweise etwas mehr Umlaut-Nachweise (3210:2440). Scheint eine neuere sprachliche Fehlentwicklung zu sein. Für eine Erörterung ugs. Mucke=(Schmeiß-)Fliege vs. Mücke=Mosquito=süddt. Schnake, oder allgemein Mücke als Angehöriger der Zweiflügler, bin ich gerade zu müde (dazu müßte es auch mindestens eine historische LEO-Diskussion geben). Jedenfalls würde man zweitere (Stechmücken, Culicidae) eher direkt totschlagen als sie versuchen zu fangen.

Zu MiMos #1:
"Mit Geduld und Spucke fängt man so manche Mucke" --- 1 resultado
"Mit Geduld und Spucke fängt man eine Mucke" --- Cerca de 2.440 resultados

OT

Greetings to Amy-MiMi and hm -- us.
#4VerfasserWachtelkönig (396690) 17 Mai 17, 06:15
Kommentar
"Mit Geduld und Spucke fängt man eine Mucke" - ist auch die Variante, die ich kenne ...
#5Verfasserno me bré (700807) 17 Mai 17, 12:58
Kommentar
You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar
#6VerfasserBubo bubo (830116) 17 Mai 17, 15:26
Kommentar
Das ist doch nicht dasselbe, Bubo bubo. Dein Sprichwort bezieht sich auf die Qualität des Lockstoffes, das andere auf die Geduld des Jägers. Deines müsste man z.B. als "mit Speck fängt man Mäuse" übersetzen.
#7Verfassertigger (236106) 18 Mai 17, 12:24
Kommentar
Ich kenne "Mit Geduld und Spucke fängt man jede Mucke", wobei das auch eine Spezialversion meiner Mutter sein kann.
#8VerfasserJanZ (805098) 18 Mai 17, 16:12
Kommentar
No BE speakers willing to comment on whether the English saying is really still in use?
#9Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 18 Mai 17, 18:50
Kontext/ Beispiele
OED entry:
Phrases
 P1. Chiefly Brit.Irish EnglishAustral., and N.Z.
Thesaurus »

a. Proverbial phrase. softly, softly, catchee monkey and variants: advocating caution or guile as the best way to achieve an end.The proverb apparently originates in West Africa; quot. 1832   records its use in Demerara (now part of Guyana).  [Compare e.g. Cameroon Pidgin English sofli, sofli, kas monki and Mende klo, klo, mia kua hu, lit. ‘slowly, slowly is monkey meat’.]
1832   A. Henderson Sc. Prov. Pref. p. lvii,   Safly, safly, catch monkey, ye hiri. They must go softly that catch a monkey, ye hear!
1840   A. Polson Law & Lawyers I. i. 22   ‘Prudens qui patiens’, was the motto of our great Coke:..which the negro pithily paraphrases—‘Softly, softly, catch monkey’.
1865   R. F. Burton Wit & Wisdom from W. Afr. Pref. p. xiii,   I should rather explain this by our kindred expression, ‘introduce the sharp edge of the wedge first’; or, as the West Africans say, ‘Softly! Softly caught the monkey.’
1896   R. S. S. Baden-Powell Downfall Prempeh Author's Apol. 13   A smile and a stick will carry you through any difficulty in the world, more especially if you act upon the old West Coast motto, ‘Softly, softly, catchee monkey’.
1942   N. Balchin Darkness falls from Air x. 176   Softly catch monkey... That's the answer.
1962   P. Brickhill Deadline xiii. 152,   I didn't pursue it any further then. Softly, softly, catchee monkey—and I hated that phrase.
2002   R. Gervais & S. Merchant Office Ser. 1. Episode 2. 83,   I am trained in covert operations. You know the phrase ‘Softly softly catchy monkey?’
Kommentar
Patience, hm--us, patience...;-).
I'd say it's still in use in BE.
#10VerfasserAnne(gb) (236994) 18 Mai 17, 19:24
Kommentar
Thank you very much, Anne. (-:

Although -- nothing since 1962, and then Ricky Gervais? It makes me wonder if that very last citation might not have actually been intended to illustrate a satirical point, with someone pretending to be 'covert operations' in an obviously dated nudge-nudge wink-wink style, evoking trenchcoats, dark glasses, the Cold War, a bygone era when the ranks of spies and the military came from the upper classes and had inherited that style of speaking complete with Kiplingesque idioms from generations who had ruled India and the East.

But if you BE speakers say you still use it yourselves, then of course I believe you. Assuming you're not all spies in disguise. (-:
#11Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 18 Mai 17, 23:01
Kommentar
No one?
#12Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 19 Mai 17, 09:43
Kontext/ Beispiele
Kommentar
Im Urban Dictionary hätte ich es nicht zu finden erwartet ...

Die Daily Mail benutzt es auch heute noch.

Die dritte Quelle zeichnet die Geschichte nach.
#13Verfassermbshu (874725) 19 Mai 17, 14:40
Kommentar
Die dritte genannte Quelle wurde in Amy-MiMi's OP schon genannt und untermauert da ja ihren Vorschlag, es als BE zu kennzeichnen.
#14VerfasserGoldammer (428405) 19 Mai 17, 17:16
Kontext/ Beispiele
Recent examples of “softly, softly catchy/catchee monkey”:
From UK 2014
Softly, softly, catchee monkey - Russell-Cooke in Solicitors Journal

From NZ 2006
Softly, softly catchee monkey ... National MP Jacqi Dean's member's bill that would allow shops in some tourist centres to open over Easter is a Byzantine answer to a simple problem.

From Australia 2017
For a project based on the principle of softly softly catchee monkey, it was a disagreeable intrusion into the gradual acceptance of Camilla as part of the national furniture.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Examples of “slowly, slowly catchee/catchy monkey":
From UK 2012
Mr Filby said a shop in Belgium or France was possible in a few years. “It’s a case of slowly, slowly, catchy monkey.”

From Australia 2011
"We are going slowly, slowly catchy monkey," Mr Seymour said on Monday. 

From Canada 2013
Slowly Slowly, Catchy Monkey
February 19, 2013
When I was growing up there was a saying I heard time and time again. First from my parents, then from my grandparents and finally my teachers, I would repeatedly hear the phrase, “slowly slowly catchy monkey” when I got frustrated that things weren’t progressing as fast as I would have liked. 
Kommentar
Re #11: I don’t think any significance should be attached to the gap between the 1962 and 2002 quotations. After all, there’s an even longer gap between the 1896 and 1942 quotations. I’d say the OED gives a representative sample rather than listing every single occurrence found. Nor do I find it useful to speculate on why Gervais & Merchant used it in a script in 2002. The fact is the phrase is still current in BE, as a brief Internet search restricted to sites .uk, .au etc. shows.

There’s also a case for adding a further phrase marked “BE”. I happen to have a young Australian house guest at the moment. Apart from being familiar with the phrase “softly, softly catchee/catchy monkey”, she also knows “slowly, slowly catchee/catchy monkey”, which is in fact also used in the UK and evidently in Canada. I wonder whether that phrase could also be included in the dict. while tweaking the current entry as proposed by Amy-Mimi.
#15VerfasserAnne(gb) (236994) 21 Mai 17, 17:50
Kommentar
The Google n-gram shows the usage of the phrase “catchee monkey” actually peaking around 1990, and higher in 1980-2000 than earlier. The phrase does appear in the American corpus (I'm not familiar with it though), but the frequency is about  5 or 6 times higher in the British corpus.

I support adding a "BE" tag.
#16VerfasserMartin--cal (272273) 21 Mai 17, 18:29
i Nur registrierte Benutzer können in diesem Forum posten

LEO benutzt Cookies, um das schnellste Webseiten-Erlebnis mit den meisten Funktionen zu ermöglichen. Es werden teilweise auch Cookies von Diensten Dritter gesetzt. Weiterführende Informationen erhalten Sie in den Hinweisen zu den Nutzungsbedingungen / Datenschutz (Cookies) von LEO.