leo-ende
Werbung
Gegeben

Die Oper dauert 2 Stunden.

37 Antworten    
Richtig?

The opera lasts 2 hours.

Beispiele/ Definitionen mit Quellen
Diese Ankündigung habe ich 2-sprachig so letztens in der Carmen-Aufführung in Bregenz gehört (vielleicht war's auch "lasts for 2 hours", so genau weiß ich das nicht mehr).
Kommentar
Ist mein Sprachgefühl völlig daneben, wenn ich in diesem Zusammenhang "lasts" als komplett falsch ansehe? "lasts" würde für mich bedeuten dass die Opernaufführung nach 2 Stunden in sich zusammenbricht (oder früher, wenn sich das Wetter verschlechtert), mal davon abgesehen, dass eine Opernaufführung ja nicht durchhalten kann, sondern bestenfalls das Wetter ;o).
Ich denke, dass "The opera takes 2 hours" hier die bessere Wahl gewesen wäre, oder?
Verfasserm.dietz (780138) 07 Aug 17, 11:45
Kommentar
Nein, 'last' ist schon richtig. Das hat nichts mit 'überdauern' im physischen Sinn zu tun. 'take' würde nicht passen.
#1VerfasserGibson (418762) 07 Aug 17, 11:49
Kommentar
It takes two hours to get to Bregenz.

aber: The performance lasts two hours.

Das ist schon richtig.
#2Verfasserpenguin (236245) 07 Aug 17, 12:37
Kommentar
Yet another voice (or two) in support of "last":

intransitive verb
1:  to continue in time The movie lasted about two hours.
#3Verfasserhbberlin (420040) 07 Aug 17, 13:19
Kommentar
OK, danke. Wieder was gelernt. Bei "lasts" hatte ich irgendwie die Bedeutung von Gültigkeits- oder Haltbarkeitsdauer im Kopf.
So was wie "I hope the airplane lasts longer than the flight" wäre also auch durchaus möglich? ;o)
#4Verfasserm.dietz (780138) 07 Aug 17, 13:45
Kommentar
You could say, "the opera takes two hours", if the opera were something to be endured, rather than enjoyed.
#5VerfasserMartin--cal (272273) 07 Aug 17, 23:45
Kommentar
Also:

Bob: Want to go to the opera?
Ed: How long will it go?
Bob: It'll go about two hours.
Ed: Can we buy Milk Duds?

#6VerfasserHappyWarrior (964133) 08 Aug 17, 07:21
Kommentar
HW, I'm curious. (Apart from the fact that I have no clue what Milk Duds might be.) From my BE perspective, Ed's question and Bob's reply are both missing an "on", i.e. it should be

Ed: How long will it go on?
Bob: It'll go on about two hours.

Is that really usual in AE to leave out the on? Is it colloquial, or a bit slangy, or absolutely standard?
#7Verfasseramw (532814) 08 Aug 17, 10:28
Kommentar
Hello, amw. So far as I know, it's standard English (without the "on"). It is quite commonly said, heard, and written.

z.B. We're at a meeting (which we really didn't want to attend in the first place), and at some point your wife or friend whispers "How long is this thing supposed to go?" Particularly in this type of situation, it would not be unusual to add the "on." Adding the "on" tends to emphasize some impatience. But either way is OK.

PS

Re your #7.

I would not add the "on" in those sentences.
#8VerfasserHappyWarrior (964133) 08 Aug 17, 10:41
Kommentar
Re Milk Duds: They're a typical, chocolate-coated, chewy caramel candy often sold at ridiculous prices at movie concession stands in the US. (HW's reference to them in connection to an opera is a joke.) I introduced my husband to them (and Reese's Pieces*) a few years ago when we were in the US. I think he'd gladly buy out the store fill up his suitcase with both products each time we're back there.
*I've seen these in a couple of Spätis here in the past year or so. They're more likely to have Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and other more closely related products than the Pieces, though. 'tis a pity.
#9Verfasserhbberlin (420040) 08 Aug 17, 10:49
Kommentar
Thanks, hbberlin. I always assume that people won't get my jokes, but I also don't want to have to explain them--so I'm glad and grateful that you did it for me. (<:
#10VerfasserHappyWarrior (964133) 08 Aug 17, 10:55
Kommentar
#8: So far as I know, it's standard English (without the "on").
Certainly not standard BE, though. I agree with amw about adding an "on", though I would still prefer the original version with "last".
#11VerfasserSpike BE (535528) 08 Aug 17, 11:14
Kommentar
I should have emphasized that my comments refer to AE.
#12VerfasserHappyWarrior (964133) 08 Aug 17, 11:17
Kommentar
'How long will it go?' sounds unusual and unfamiliar to me for AE as well; the intent is understandable, but I doubt that a lot of people would say it.

I too think 'last' is fine.

Or for either a live performance or a film, you could also use 'run.'
#13Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 09 Aug 17, 10:03
Kommentar
but I doubt that a lot of people would say it.

I know lots of people who say it. And I've heard lots of other people say it (people I don't know).
#14VerfasserHappyWarrior (964133) 09 Aug 17, 10:36
Kommentar
American Heritage Dictionary:

go

a. To continue to be in a certain condition or continue an activity: go barefoot.

c. To continue to be in effect or operation: a lease with one year to go.

a. To extend in time: The story goes back to the Middle Ages.

b. To pass by; elapse: The day went pleasantly enough until I received your call.
===========

Oxford dictionaries:

(of time) pass or elapse.
‘the hours went by’

‘three years went past’

2.2 Pass a specified amount of time in a particular way or under particular circumstances.
‘sometimes they went for two months without talking’

=============

Webster's New World College Dictionary:

to endure; last; . . .
#15VerfasserHappyWarrior (964133) 09 Aug 17, 11:03
Kommentar
I don't think any of those examples are really analogous to '[event] + ['to go'] + [period of time].'

E.g., ?'The opera (/ movie / party / meeting) will go two hours'

may not be impossible, but it does seem relatively unlikely among other more idiomatic options. For that reason, it's not a solution that I would actively recommend to learners of English.

The example with the lease, though, may be helpful in its focus on continuation and not just total duration.

*'The lease will go twelve months.'
vs. 'The lease has two months to go.'
vs. ?'How much longer will the lease go?'

Cf.
?'How much longer will the opera go?'
vs. 'The opera has two more acts to go.'

I'm still just not convinced that that really works except in the specific context '['to have'] + [period of time] + ['to go'].'

But let's see if other speakers will comment, especially from the point of view of AE. It's better to have input from several people.

#16Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 09 Aug 17, 11:37
Kommentar
I don't understand why you think the word "go" can be used for a lease but not for a movie or a baseball game or an opera (or anything else).

In my observation and experience, "go" ("went") is used for all kinds of things when their duration is being referred to. It would work with "opera" as well as anything else.
#17VerfasserHappyWarrior (964133) 09 Aug 17, 11:42
Kommentar
Here we go again.

It doesn't have anything to do with movies, baseball games or operas, but with the grammatical construction expressing a duration.

The lease has two months to go.
is simply not the same as:
How long will it go?

#18Verfasserpenguin (236245) 09 Aug 17, 11:59
Kommentar
Here we go again. (#18)

Yes, I'd say the same right back at you!

And I have no idea what you are talking about. What is the basis for your conclusion?
#19VerfasserHappyWarrior (964133) 09 Aug 17, 12:34
Kommentar
mmm, I'd have said "The opera lasts for two hours".
#20Verfasserjamqueen (1129860) 09 Aug 17, 12:40
Kommentar
Yes, no problem. But that is not the only way it is expressed.
#21VerfasserHappyWarrior (964133) 09 Aug 17, 12:41
Kommentar
What is the basis for your conclusion?

Linguistic competence.
#22Verfasserpenguin (236245) 09 Aug 17, 12:58
Kommentar
??
#23VerfasserHappyWarrior (964133) 09 Aug 17, 13:02
Kommentar
sorry, I meant to say:

The lease has two months to go.
The construction is "have to go" and does have an object, i.e. "two months"

However, "How long will it go?"
does not have an object and sort of sits there waiting for an end to the sentence.

The two constructions are simply not the same.
#24Verfasserpenguin (236245) 09 Aug 17, 13:08
Kommentar
You're arguing that one cannot say "How long will the opera go?" because one can say "The lease has two months to go"? That makes no sense.
#25VerfasserHappyWarrior (964133) 09 Aug 17, 13:24
Kommentar
perhaps it's an AE/BE difference. How long will the opera go sounds a little odd to my BE ears.
#26Verfasserjamqueen (1129860) 09 Aug 17, 13:37
Kommentar
That was touched on in #7 and #11.

Does BE not refer to how long a lease goes (or has to go)?
#27VerfasserHappyWarrior (964133) 09 Aug 17, 13:40
Kommentar
Re #26: It sounds more than a little odd to my AE ears.

AE/BE is probably a red herring here, but to confirm that, other AE speakers would need to speak up. They may understandably feel it's not worth getting into another pointless, irrational discussion. But on the other hand, simply saying whether 'go' sounds idiomatic here shouldn't be too hard.
#28Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 09 Aug 17, 13:46
Kommentar
You seem to think there is a point to this. You certainly have expressed your opinions here. Whatever you have to say is valid and virtuous. Anything you disagree with is "pointless and irrational."

You have not shown that I am wrong, but only that you don't like it. Fortunately, English does not hinge on that.
#29VerfasserHappyWarrior (964133) 09 Aug 17, 13:50
Kommentar
STOP!
@all: Egal wer angefangen hat: persönliche Angriffe sind nicht im Sinne des Erfinders dieses Forums.
Bitte sachlich bleiben.

@HW: du hast meine E-Mails erhalten, ja? Ich vertraue darauf, eine Antwort von Dir zu erhalten.
#30VerfasserDoris (LEO-Team) (33) 09 Aug 17, 14:08
Kommentar
Ist DAS aber ein schönes Bild, Doris!
#31Verfasserestrellita (236267) 09 Aug 17, 14:22
Kommentar
@ HappyWarrior. To my knowledge, in BE you'd say how long a lease goes on for, although I find that a little colloquial.
#32Verfasserjamqueen (1129860) 09 Aug 17, 19:46
Kommentar
perhaps it's an AE/BE difference. How long will the opera go sounds a little odd to my BE ears.

It sounds odd to my AE ears.

Similarly "how long will the opera go on"

Possibly "how long will the opera go on for" is a little better, but still unusual.

But the only one that I'd ever say, or expect to hear is "how long will the opera last." That's absolutely standard and common (at least in AE).
#33Verfassereric (new york) (63613) 09 Aug 17, 20:56
Kommentar
But the only one that I'd ever say, or expect to hear is "how long will the opera last." That's absolutely standard and common (at least in AE).

That's also the only one I (BE) would expect to hear, with the one proviso that if I were a reluctant opera-goer, I would quite probably say: 'How long will the opera go on for?' (I.e. 'How long do I have to endure this?')

I might use 'take' if I were planning a schedule: 'The opera takes two hours, so we'll be back by ten, and catch the 10.30 train.'
#34Verfasserescoville (237761) 10 Aug 17, 10:34
Kontext/ Beispiele
Kommentar
Yes, OK, "the opera lasts..." is acceptable and understandable as a translation of "Die Oper dauert..." in an announcement at an opera house in a German-speaking country, but I have to say that, in an opera house in an English-speaking country, I would expect an announcement to take the form of "The performance run time is ...". Certainly if I'm phoning the box office to find out when the performance ends to know which train I might be able to get, I ask "What's the run time?", or if looking online, I use "run time" in the search terms.
#35VerfasserAnne(gb) (236994) 11 Aug 17, 20:20
Kommentar
It should be also noted that conversational speech frequently omits or truncates (prepositional) phrases at the end of a sentence, where additional context has alteady expressed the speaker's thought(s).

It's best practice to use the fully idiomatic expression/ grammar structure (syntax) / collocation(?) when translating a single German sentence.

Voting for LAST(S) + OP expressed his concern.
#36VerfasserMein Fritz (862420) 13 Aug 17, 19:00
Kommentar
I agree with all the posts in this thread except those by one user.
#37VerfasserJurist (US) (804041) 13 Aug 17, 19:45
i Nur registrierte Benutzer können in diesem Forum posten

LEO benutzt Cookies, um das schnellste Webseiten-Erlebnis mit den meisten Funktionen zu ermöglichen. Es werden teilweise auch Cookies von Diensten Dritter gesetzt. Weiterführende Informationen erhalten Sie in den Hinweisen zu den Nutzungsbedingungen / Datenschutz (Cookies) von LEO.