• Sonderzeichen

• Lautschrift

leo-ende
Werbung
Betrifft

Crossover Chat 255

300 Antworten   
Kommentar
This is not just another chat room. We're here to improve our language skills, German or English, and to encourage a spirit of community. Everyone is welcome who shares those aims.

In the immortal words of our founder, odondon irl:
«ein Faden, in dem Deutschsprechende auf Englisch und Englischsprechende auf Deutsch schreiben können, um zu üben, um Korrekturen zu ergattern, um des Spaßes Willen.» Snowflake und andere Schweizer dürfen aber auch Spass haben, wenn sie möchten.

We come from Amy-MiMi's comfy snail-home 254 here

Participants in order of appearance:
Amy-MiMi, penguin, Sachs, Lara Chu, hm -- us, Carullus, bluesky, candice, Steve53, atalante, cookie crumbler, Artisan, h h, Goldammer, manni3, Robert -- US, Emil 14, the kat, Phillipp, harambee, Jools, SD3, estrellita, Wachtelkönig, Wolfman, wi-chan

Highlights

Penguin promises a long post the next day, but is a few days late because not enough happens to fill such post. Finally, she tells us about the good time she has in Berlin.

Sachs is owing a coffee to Artisan at the next Austrian LEO meeting. If she likes one.

We discuss vacation and compensation days. Conclusion: you can't have too many. But 30 would be nice.

Cookie crumbler likes the Word "assemble".

Sokrates is a huge crocodile, but not from IKEA, unlike crumblercito's shirt-wearing alligator mum. And then there's Patrick, the giant wonderdog, who sleeps on Lara's floor.

Federweißer is called Sturm in Austria. Good to know. When Austrians say "Heute wird es einen Sturm geben", we can get our glasses ready! ;-)

Bible talk about "superfluity of nastiness". It can be translated in many ways - of course, we all know nastiness has many ways, so this is not surprising.

Hasselhoff did not tear down the German wall single-handedly, no matter what he says.

Bedroom talk between Jools and Lara - talk about bedrooms, that is ...

Diverse snails visit their family.

Crocodiles have no visible tongue and steer with their lungs. We live and learn.

Carullus tells us about a liquor ID some states have. Handy if you are confronted with unidentifiable liquor, I suppose ...

Mae West's torso will be erected in Munich.

Sachs is an opera lover.

Amy finds Moose Tracks, but they are from Denali Flavors, not made by Hermarphromoose.

Word allocation and "odd one out" tests can be very arbitrary.

SD3 gets the gold medal of self restraint (and a cookie!). Penguin gets silver.

Goldammer leaves for Britanny. We hope she has a great time there!

Robert -- US has interesting things in his wardrobe, including chain mail.

SD3 went window shopping in a very literal sense and bought twelve new windows and is now able to reenact Hitchcock's classic Rear Window.

Laras phone misunderstands the change from summer time to "normal" (not winter, thanks, manni) time and performs it one week early.

Phillipp recommends the movie Exit Through the Gift Shop about the graffiti artist Bansky. The kat's son liked it, too, and her daughter is a real Bansky fan.

Harambee is contagioned by another thread recommending Christoph Brookmyre's novels. LEO is, after all, a good source for literature recommendations. Carullus proofs this by recommending The Machine of Death.

The Rhine has gas bubbles due to volcanic activity. I didn't know that, either, SD3.

Now come in and chat away!
Verfasserwi-chan (390817) 05 Nov 10, 12:50
Kommentar
Danke, wi-chan!

Der Laacher See ist eine Caldera. Hier kann man mehr lesen;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laacher_See
#1VerfasserAmy-MiMi (236989) 05 Nov 10, 12:54
Kommentar
Schönes neues Haus, keine Wendeltreppen GsD. Tolle Highlights. Danke. :-)

"Caldera" ist mir ein neuer Begriff. Mir gleich gemerkt.

the graffiti artist Bansky

Der Graffiti-Künstler heißt aber Banksy ;-) Aber vielleicht ist Bluesky Graffiti-Künstlerin?
#2VerfasserPhillipp05 Nov 10, 13:02
Kommentar
Thanks, MiMi! I first had to look up what a Caldera is. Now I know more. It's not even far from where I live. And I like how it's actually named the "lake lake".

Oh, sorry, I misread that, Phillipp. You are aware, aren't you, of our rule that whoever mentions a mistake in the opening post has to do the next highlights?
#3Verfasserwi-chan (390817) 05 Nov 10, 13:04
Kommentar
"opening post" ist aber #1. Ich schrieb #2. ;-)
#4VerfasserPhillipp05 Nov 10, 13:07
Kommentar
Hallo Phillipp. Dann müsste unsere bluesky doch blueksy heißen.

Zurück zum Thema Vulkan:

Vor zwei Jahren war ich im Vulkanpark und habe aufsteigendes Kohlenstoffdioxid im Wasser des Laacher Sees gesehen. Ulkig.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geopark_Vulkanla...

Vor einigen Jahren hat eine Freundin von mir in Indonesien Mathematik unterrichtet. Die Schule ist in Yogyakarta, also unweit vom Feuerberg Merapi. Ich bin froh, dass sie nicht mehr da ist.
#5VerfasserAmy-MiMi (236989) 05 Nov 10, 13:08
Kommentar
I was talking about a mistake made in the opening post (which is #0, not #1). Whosoever criticises the highlights shall collect the next highlights thereafter. Better? ;-) You can't talk yourself out of it now!

Yes, Amy, I can imagine that friends and relatives can be a bit worried about that sort of thing.
#6Verfasserwi-chan (390817) 05 Nov 10, 13:15
Kommentar
Thanks to wi-chan for the great new house and the wonderful highlights. Thanks to Phillipp for volunteering to build CC 256 :-)
#7Verfasserharambee (91833) 05 Nov 10, 13:24
Kommentar
Danke wi-chan für das schöne Haus... und danke Phillipp für das nächste schöne Haus!!! ;o)

Ich habe keine Lust zu arbeiten und überlege gerade, ob ich Ärger kriege, wenn ich heute The Machine of Death lese...
#8VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 05 Nov 10, 13:33
Kommentar
@Lara: it's a collection of short stories, right? One (more) can't hurt...
Also, praise & gratitude to the erector of this snail house and the most excellent hochlichtern.
#9VerfasserCarullus (670120) 05 Nov 10, 13:40
Kommentar
Okay okay, wenn ich noch da bin, mein Arzt gibt mir nur noch wenige Tage, aber das neue Haus ist wichtig, klar, sehe ich auch ein. *seufznachpioniergeistumsuch*
#10VerfasserPhillipp05 Nov 10, 13:57
Kommentar
Great highlighted new house, thanks wi-chan.

Your Hochlichter reminded me that I'm still curious about which operas hm visited last weekend.

My "Cardillac" (who is not related to a car like someone in a newspaper forum thought) was good but nothing I'm completely enthusiastic about now. On the one hand because important parts of the production were "stolen together" (6g ?) from several older productions of this opera, on the other hand because the singer of the title role was not able to compete against the singers I knew from some recordings. However, it was not bad, and if it comes again with a more interesting cast I'll certainly be there again.
#11VerfasserSachs (638558) 05 Nov 10, 14:27
Kommentar
Hi wi-chan, thanks for the new snailhouse with the high highlites.

Phillipp, now it's you who has to *6g*believe in it*6g*. Old snails never warn new snails about  a trap ;-(( For me it was 221 ;-)

#12Verfassermanni3 (305129) 05 Nov 10, 14:41
Kommentar
Danke für den Link cookie crumbler. Ich habe die ganze Serie "Vulkanausbruch in Deutschland" angeschaut. Jetzt habe ich Angst, meine Freunde in Bonn und Köln zu besuchen. *gg* Als ich den Laacher See beobachtete, war mir aber ziemlich klar, dass der Vulkan nicht ausgelöscht ist. Nun weiß ich aber viel mehr, über die Geologie der Eifel. In der Schule fand ich Geologie sehr interessant. In der achten Klasse schreib einen Bericht über Vulkane, habe auch Vulkane gezeichnet und so. Das machte mir Spaß. Vielleicht könnte ich nochmal umsteigen und Geologin werden.

Hat jemand den Spielfilm Vulkan (2009) gesehen? Hier im CC halte ich das eher für unwahrscheinlich, aber die Frage stellt sich doch.

#13VerfasserAmy-MiMi (236989) 05 Nov 10, 14:52
Kommentar
Ich befinde mich schon wieder in einer Situation, in der ich mich sehr anstrengen muss, um keine unhöfliche Antwort auf einem Thread zu schreiben. In den letzten Wochen komme ich langsam zu dem Schluss, ich sollte meine Zeit nur im CC verbringen.

Vulkan? War das ein deutscher Film? Ich bin meistens kein Fan von Umwelt-Katastrophen-Filmen bwz. -Fernsehr"dokus". (I'm looking at you, Gallileo Mystery...!)
#14VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 05 Nov 10, 14:53
Kommentar
now let me guess, Lara, which thread you mean ....

LEO should have a filter like other forums which makes that you no longer see posts by people you have marked as "ignore".
#15Verfasserpenguin (236245) 05 Nov 10, 14:57
Kommentar
Korr. für penguin: "which makes that you no longer see posts" ==> which stops/prevents you from seeing posts

Ich grolle nicht, auch wenn das Herz mir bricht.
#16VerfasserPhillipp05 Nov 10, 15:00
Kommentar
*Lara und Penguin das Faden-Ignorieren-Verdienstkreuz verleih*

Ich möchte gar nicht wissen, welchen Faden ihr ignorieren müsst.

@Lara: Auch ich bin eigentlich kein Fan von Katastrophen-Filmen, aber ich unterrichte Teenager, hauptsächlich Jungs, und sind sie doch das Zielpublikum solcher Filme. Aber im Internet lese ich, dass drei Szenen im Film im Schlafzimmer abspielen, also ist er vielleicht nichts für eine amerikanische Schule.
#17VerfasserAmy-MiMi (236989) 05 Nov 10, 15:15
Kommentar
Do you want some more gas bubbles, Amy?

And thanks for the comfy new shell, wi-chan.
#18Verfasserbluesky (236159) 05 Nov 10, 15:22
Kommentar
A few corrections for Amy:

Als ich den Laacher See beobachtete, war mir aber ziemlich klar, dass der Vulkan nicht [ausgelöscht] erloschen ist.
In der achten Klasse schreib ich (?) einen Bericht über Vulkane.

... und [sind sie] sie sind doch das Zielpublikum ...
Aber im Internet lese ich, dass drei Szenen im Film im Schlafzimmer [ab]spielen ...

#19VerfasserSachs (638558) 05 Nov 10, 15:26
Kommentar
Ach was? Mach das so, wie meine High-School-Deutsch-Lehrerin: mit Fast-Foward! ;o)

Im Ernst, es wird heutzutage schwierig sein, einen Film ohne sowas zu finden. Wie alt sind die Kinder nochmal? Bestimmt zu alt für die drei Fragezeichen, oder?
#20VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 05 Nov 10, 15:26
Kommentar
Edith was too slow ...

Correction of the corrections since I misread a word
In der achten Klasse [schreib] schrieb ich (? or schrieben wir) einen Bericht über Vulkane.
#21VerfasserSachs (638558) 05 Nov 10, 15:28
Kommentar
Oh dear, bluesky. I might think about moving if the Rhine ever does that.

No need to grumble, Phillipp, once you've opened a new snailhouse, you'll see it can actually be quite fun collecting the "Hochlichter". And you get praise and gratitude (see #9), what else could you want?

Bedroom scenes in fast forward? I think that would produce even more giggles. Tell them all to close their eyes! ;-) (if you want to make sure that everyone's looking)
#22Verfasserwi-chan (390817) 05 Nov 10, 15:35
Kommentar
Bedroom scenes in fast forward? 
Nicht ganz, liebe wi-chan :o) Fernseher und VHS standen auf einem Wagen. Also, auf Rädern. Kurz umgedreht, fastgeforwardet (*fg* -- vorgespult), nochmal umgedreht und weiter mit dem Film!
#23VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 05 Nov 10, 15:44
Kommentar
Ich grolle nicht, wi-chan!!! Ich FREUE mich ausgesprochen und dezidiert aufs Hochlichtersammeln ho ho, auch wenn mein Arzt meine (eure) Chancen nicht sehr ... aber jetzt wiederhole ich mich. Was ich mir noch wünschen könnte? Gesundheit, Geld, ein Landhaus in der Toskana, einen neuen Laptop, eine Palazzohälfte am Canale Grande, 7 ewig blühende Rosenbüsche und und und. Oh ja, und ein paar vernünftig(er)e Mitmenschen (geschweige denn Mitschnecken). Ja, ich weiß, keine Chance. Dann geb ich mich u.U. mit "Lob und Dankbarkeit" zufrieden. ;-)
#24VerfasserPhillipp05 Nov 10, 16:10
Kommentar
Phillipp, as long as you think it possible to find even nicer and more reasonable co-snails you have not completely shooed away your grudge ;-) Can't you see that we all are the nicest and most reasonable snails one could think of?
#25Verfasserharambee (91833) 05 Nov 10, 16:18
Kommentar
Vag erinnere ich mich an ein ähnliches Argument des Herrn Leibniz von anno dazumal ... ;-) Hmmmm. *anschleimdrüsehantierend*
#26VerfasserPhillipp05 Nov 10, 16:28
Kommentar
And the Palazzos at Canale Grande rot from within, due to the high humidity. You'd lose a lot of money restoring it at least once a year. Better stick to your country home in the Toscana all year, visiting Venice every once in a while and letting someone else pay for the maintenance.
#27Verfasserwi-chan (390817) 05 Nov 10, 16:31
Kommentar
Ausgemacht: Gib mir das Landhaus, ich bleibe gerne da. Wie ich meine Zeit dort verbringe? Naja, wahrscheinlich indem ich die Gärten frei von Schnecken halte. :-) (Oh und das fehlte auf meiner Wunschliste: keine Internetverbindung.) :-)
#28VerfasserPhillipp05 Nov 10, 16:49
Kommentar
In Northern Germany "Abgemacht!" would be more idiomatic than "Ausgemacht!" The verb ausmachen does exist and can be used but not for this expression.
#29Verfasserharambee (91833) 05 Nov 10, 16:52
Kommentar
Phillipp, now I'm really starting to feel a little bit affronted. You don't want snails in your garden. You don't want them in your house. You don't want internet connection, so you can't even chat with us here. And you wish for more sensible co-snails. What on earth do you have against us? What did we do wrong?
#30Verfasserwi-chan (390817) 05 Nov 10, 16:58
Kommentar
Wirklich, "affronted", wi-chan, aber das tut mir leid. Ich dachte meine Smileys sagen doch alles. Ihr habt mich 'reingelegt'; ich drehe (mit Smileys) ein bisschen 'durch' -- und beziehe klischeehafte Positionen. Ich dachte nicht, dass das ernst genommen wird! Aber jetzt Schluss damit: Ich bin sehr gern ab und zu da für die Unterhaltung und Hilfe! :-)

Danke harambee, klar. ;-)
#31VerfasserPhillipp05 Nov 10, 17:07
Kommentar
Pssst, wi-chan, may be it was the first time Phillipp fell into a trap set by snails. And, as you know, the first cut is the deepest!

However, our insightful comments and encouragement will no doubt help him to emerge out of this crisis even stronger than he was before.
#32Verfasserharambee (91833) 05 Nov 10, 17:07
Kommentar
Tausche Landhaus in der Toskana und Palazzo am Canale Grande gegen ein Haus am Meer, möglichst an der Nordsee oder an der spanischen Atlantikküste (Schnecken habe ich dort übrigens noch nie gesehen ;-))
#33Verfasserpenguin (236245) 05 Nov 10, 17:20
Kommentar
Penguin, you know that people involved in such barter deals have to provide one of the exchange objects ;-)

By the way, penguin, are you sure that you wrote in the right language?
#34Verfasserharambee (91833) 05 Nov 10, 17:25
Kommentar
Oh, sorry, I forgot my smilies. No, I'm not really affronted, don't worry, just amused at your overreaction. But harambee is right. We all (well, most of us) fell into that trap at least once.

Pengu, the Toscana borders the sea, too, you could have both.
#35Verfasserwi-chan (390817) 05 Nov 10, 17:25
Kommentar
Du hast deine Slimies vergessen? Och ja, das auch noch.

Spanische Atlantikküste kenne ich nicht, käme aber durchaus für mich in Frage.
#36VerfasserPhillipp05 Nov 10, 17:30
Kommentar
harambee, ich bin nicht dafür bekannt, Regeln zu 100 % einzuhalten ....

wi-chan, die Toskana liegt aber weder am Atlantik noch an der Nordsee.

Phillipp, die Costa de la Luz ist wirklich einen Besuch wert!
#37Verfasserpenguin (236245) 05 Nov 10, 17:31
Kommentar
Was ist das Besondere daran, pengu?
#38VerfasserPhillipp05 Nov 10, 17:36
Kommentar
Kilometerlange Strände (im Gegensatz zum Mittelmeer), das Licht, die Menschen - eben Andalusien ohne das Mittelmeer und deshalb nicht so überlaufen.
#39Verfasserpenguin (236245) 05 Nov 10, 17:37
Kommentar
Danke, hab ich mir notiert ;-)
#40VerfasserPhillipp05 Nov 10, 17:40
Kommentar
Hi!

Wi-chan
, have you noticed that you have built a racing shell? Thanks for the new shell! Are there any speed limits at all?

Phillipp, smilies or not, I'm positive you wouldn't want ME in your garden, as I'd munch everything, even your lovely roses.

Amy, you visited 'Vulkanpark' and Laacher See! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. Well, maybe you saw my sister jogging around the lake. By the way, I know a part-time geologist (a full-time archeologist, more precisely) who helped launching the 'Vulkanpark' project and I owe most of my modest knowledge of geology to him. He'll be pleased to hear that the result of the project is catching on even on the other side of the pond.

The clip provided by me is indeed a bit sensationalistic, not the way ARTE would have presented the topic. I don't know 'Vulkan 2009', but parts of it were shot in the town where I grew up.
#41Verfassercookie crumbler (484354) 05 Nov 10, 20:14
Kommentar
Wi-chan, vielen Dank für das neue Rennschneckenhaus (oder ist das jetzt ein Schneckenrennhaus?).

Phillipp, jetzt erkenne ich eine (Schnecken)falle, danke.

Alle, es kann sein, dass ich in den nächsten Tagen weniger auftauche, als normalerweise der Fall ist (und das ist selten genug). Eine Freundin ist gestern morgen in einem Autounfall gestorben. Es war ganz früh, ein anderes Auto ist ausser Kontrolle geraten und ohne Scheinwerfer verkehrt auf der Freeway zum Stopp gekommen. Melinda hat eine Schädelfraktur erlitten und ist später im Krankenhaus gestorben. Wir suchen jetzt den nächsten Angehörigen und versuchen die Leiche zu bekommen. (Die Behörde will sie ihren Freunden nicht übergeben, nur der Familie, die schwer zu finden ist.)
#42VerfasserRobert -- US (328606) 05 Nov 10, 21:06
Kommentar
@42:
I'm sorry for you and for your friend's family and I feel deepest sympathy!
#43Verfassercookie crumbler (484354) 05 Nov 10, 21:09
Kommentar
An dich hatte ich eben heute gedacht, Robert ("Wo ist denn der Robert, der ist länger nicht da gewesen"). Das tut mir leid für dich und deine Freunde, schrecklich. Viel Kraft wünsche ich dir und der Familie. Mach's gut. Hoffentlich bis bald mal.

cookie: Du darfst alles im Garten: Rosen mampfen, Krümel verstreuen, Getränke verschütten, Tänze tanzen ...
#44VerfasserPhillipp05 Nov 10, 21:22
Kommentar
@Robert: Herzliches Beileid, Robert. Deine Freundin hatte offensichtlich gute, treue Freunde.

wi-chan, vielen Dank für das gemütliche Häuschen und die sehr schönen Hochlichter (mit raffinierter Einbaufalle).

Mein Sohn hat mich heute informiert, dass er ein Skype-Konto eröffnet habe, damit ich ihn endlich einmal 'live' sehen könne. Wenn er jetzt nur seinen Computer einschalten würde!
#45VerfasserSD3 (451227) 05 Nov 10, 23:46
Kommentar
I feel so sorry for you Robert. This is one of the things I am always afraid of, knowing that my kids are out on the roads.

Wi-Chan, nice job, snailhouse construction.

Dubstep, does any one of you know this kind of "music"?
It's my grandson's favourite. (Jesus, Rice Krispies, allmighty)
#46VerfasserSteve53 (329426) 06 Nov 10, 11:21
Kommentar
Hat dubstep etwas mit garage music zu tun, Steve? (Meine Kenntnisse der heutigen Musikszene habe ich aus zweiter Hand.)
#47VerfasserSD3 (451227) 06 Nov 10, 13:14
Kommentar
*creepingin*

@46, 47:
Dubstep - somehow reminds me of 'Prague Spring'. O, hang on! The guy was called Dubcek, wasn't he?

@ 44:
I'll fall back on your kind invitation someday. Roses - yummie! Sprinkling crumbs - jay! Singing and dancing - Hey, nonny, nonny!

*andout*
#48Verfassercookie crumbler (484354) 06 Nov 10, 13:22
Kommentar
wi-chan, thank you for the new home!

Robert, I am very sorry to hear about your friend's death. All the best for you and your friends.

I wanted to write about my visit to Arcania, which was not as bad as I tought it would/could be. But with the grey weather outside and the sad thoughts inside ... I will refrain from that for now - there is not much interesting about it anyway - except for the fact that I had the honour and pleasure to meet a real lord.
#49VerfasserSelima (107) 06 Nov 10, 13:51
Kommentar
*reinstampedier*
Huch! Was sehe ich denn da? Meinen Namen, fett gedrückt? Aber ich war doch nicht ... ohhh, jetzt hab ich's ... wi-chan wollte mich bloß hereinlocken! Na gut, es hat funktioniert!
*alle bewink*
*wieder raustampedier*
#50Verfasserhermarphromoose (169674) 06 Nov 10, 14:47
Kommentar
Welcome, herma! :-) Now you will most likely be listed in the next CC as well ;-)

I'm not sure whether you want a correction. If you want one:

"fett gedruckt" Ask hm -- us, she can explain it ;-)
#51Verfasserharambee (91833) 06 Nov 10, 14:53
Kommentar
Mein herzliches Beileid, Robert.

Deutsche Sprache, tückische Sprache. fest drücken aber fett drucken.

Aber das hat sehr gut funktioniert. Hut ab, wi-chan.

Es ist aber ein bisschen unfair, das herm uns nicht gesagt hat, ob die Kleinen größer geworden sind und inzwischen die Möbel erklettern. *hermarphromoose hinterherwink*

@Selima: Ich hoffe, das Wetter wird bald sonniger. Interessant fand ich in cookies Video, dass die Ameisen ihre Haufen bauen, dort wo Gase aus der Erde aufsteigt. Aber vermutlich hast du das schon gewusst.

@Steve: Der Name des Lieds sagt mir nichts. Aber Guhgel ist mein Freund, hat jemand mir gesagt. Gestern haben wir die DVD "Secret Life of Bees" ausgeliehen. Du musste ich an dich denken.
#52VerfasserAmy-MiMi (236989) 06 Nov 10, 15:19
Kommentar
Deutsche Sprache, tückische Sprache. fest drücken aber fett drucken.

Ja, das stimmt. Noch ein nettes Paar: "bedrückend", aber "beeindruckend".
#53VerfasserPhillipp06 Nov 10, 16:06
Kommentar
Amy-Mimi, no objections against Novemberish weather in November. I like sitting (like to sit? Wenn ich mir das doch mal merken könnte) in the living room with my blanket and a cup of tea. If there is a strong wind like today, I even like to be outside. It was only the adding up of grey weather and grey thoughts in that very moment.

Where did cookie post this link on ants? I couldn't find it. And: No, I didn't know that.

I have only one small korrektürchen or - better to say - remark: Although 'die Möbel erklettern' is not wrong I would probably say 'auf die Möbel klettern'.

Re 'tückische Sprache': recently I read about a villain searched by the police that he speaks "Griechisch, deutsch , serbokroatiasch and tükisch" ;-)
#54VerfasserSelima (107) 06 Nov 10, 17:25
Kommentar
That was, of course, exactly what I hoped to achieve, Hermar! I'm glad it worked so well!

Amy, I doubt the minimoose gets smaller, thus I'm almost sure she grew ... Of course, I'm also curious about furniture-climbing incidents (or any cute minimoose stories).

I am also very sorry for you and your friends, Robert. I hope you find your friend's family soon!

Selima, she posted it in the last thread, the one about volcanoes.
#55Verfasserwi-chan (390817) 06 Nov 10, 17:56
Kommentar
Robert, herzliches Beileid von mir auch. Das ist schrecklich, und ärgerlich, dass man so viel Bürokratisches und Praktisches durchkämpfen muss, statt einfach 'nur' den Tod zu betrauern und emotionell zu verarbeiten.

Ich, die Geheimnisse des Umlauts erklären? Aber gerne. Manchmal passiert etwas, und die zwei Pünktchen werden ausgedrückt und sind nicht mehr da, wo sie sein sollten. Oder es passiert etwas anderes, und sie werden aufgedruckt und sind plötzlich da, wo sie nicht sein sollten. Man kann eigentlich nie wissen, wann sie auftauchen oder verschwinden werden. Das nennen wir die Ungenauigkeitsrelation der Umläute. Es ist ein Mysterium.

Ich würde gerne noch etwas über Arcania hören, und den Lord, falls sich eine Gelegenheit ergibt.

Und 'die Kleinen'? Huch, da habe ich wohl etwas verpasst oder vergessen. Aber hoffentlich sind die Möbel der Kletterfamilie auf jeden Fall nicht zu sehr gefährdet, und weder Minimusse noch Katzen schon auf dem Dach. (-:

#56Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 06 Nov 10, 17:58
Kommentar
@Selima: Die Stelle habe ich gefunden. 6:22 in diesem Abschnitt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pnIycycMTI

Selbstkorrektur: Gase aufsteigen

Ich dachte, es gäbe inzwischen zwei kleine Minimooses, aber vielleicht irre ich mich. Womöglich habe ich an Lorbeerchen 1 und 2 gedacht.
#57VerfasserAmy-MiMi (236989) 06 Nov 10, 18:14
Kommentar
Na, ich habe Robert fast als jemand anders angesprochen und wurde nur von einem aufmerksamen Mitleser gerettet. Und ich habe nicht einmal die Ausrede, unter der Woche beschäftigt gewesen zu sein oder beim Zahnarzt (me1, bist du noch da? wieviele Finger?) oder was auch immer.

Das Wetter ist heute übrigens wunderschön, heller Sonnenschein, kühl und still. Endlich mal Herbst!
#58Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 06 Nov 10, 19:14
Kommentar
Yep SD3 it is kind of "garage" this dubstep.

hermi, how is Moosy doing? She must be going to school next year. (o;

Amy- MiMi, I know what this dubstep sound like, I just wanted to know if anybody of you knows it too and maybe it is one of the snails favorite music.

Only 20 more days snails, start thinking about the Thanksgiving meal.
I am not sure yet, should I take a quail or a turkey. Brussel sprouts are a must.

#59VerfasserSteve53 (329426) 06 Nov 10, 19:30
Kommentar
@Robert: :( Feeling with you.

@the kat: That's exactly what I wanted to know. On my way know to order the first book.

@SD3: I didn't know that either. It does look peculiar with those bubbles underwater, not in some faraway country but right around the corner.
#60Verfasserh h (38469) 06 Nov 10, 19:34
Kommentar
@ all, hello,

@ Robert, my deepest condolences.

I can't think clearly. @ wi-chan, thank you for the new home and great Hochlichter™.

Nice to see Hermarphromoose. How is baby moose?

*rausschleim*
#61Verfasserme1 (236101) 06 Nov 10, 19:50
Kommentar
After reading Robert's comment, my problem seems insignificant.

But, I have to go back for my second root canal treatment. *heul*

#62Verfasserme1 (236101) 06 Nov 10, 20:03
Kommentar
Root canal treatments are not insignificant, little me. Usually I would wish you strong nerves - though in that case you'd probably rather hope for insensitive ones, I guess. Just think of how good you will feel when you're through, and you know that your teeth will at least leave you alone for a while! My brother had similar problems a few weeks ago, and after his last treatment he said he felt almost like a new person. Look forward to that!

Stories like Robert's friend's make you realise the value of life, though, and how unexpectedly your loved ones can be taken from you. Bearing that in mind, I think I should go to wi-chan-Mann now and spend the rest of the evening with him. Have a great weekend with your loved ones, dear snails!
#63Verfasserwi-chan (390817) 07 Nov 10, 00:52
Kommentar
Friday night I started the first Brookmyre (Quite ugly one morning) and I finished it this morning. It was not too difficult to read. Of course there were words I did not know but the context made the meaning more or less obvious. I'm not the type of reader who looks up every unfamiliar word as long as I have the feeling that I understand what's going on.

The book started with a description of a quite ugly crime (murder) scene. I could have learned a couple of slang words for body fluids and other human excrements but I'm afraid I forgot most of them and some of them like keech are anyway missing in Leo ;-) Surprisingly, I was not deterred by these descriptions. I am not sure whether this is due to the fact that I was not familiar with the words and thus had no very clear picture in my mind. Another possible reason may be that the scene is ugly but the description nevertheless has its funny aspects. Anyway, I was not unhappy that the book did not continue in this way.

Obviously, I cannot know how many of the allusions I may have missed but I can say that I did not feel completely lost. The book had a couple of hints to the Britisch healthcare systems and its reforms in the eighties but these hints were clear enough for me.

The story itself was moderately enthralling although guessing the general motives of the murders was not too difficult. It had some nice and funny dialogues and the "philosophy" of the leading character is quite interesting. I assume it will develop over the next books. Thus, the first book was okay for me and I will read the second one as well. Maybe after that I can tell you whether I would recommend the books. At the moment I'm not sure. It's not bad but ...
#64Verfasserharambee (91833) 07 Nov 10, 13:40
Kommentar
I'm not the type of reader who looks up every unfamiliar word tz, tz, tz! ;-)

Ein paar Vorschläge:
description of a quite ugly crime (murder) scene -> quite an ugly crime ... scene
(Ich kann nicht erklären, warum es mir so besser klingt.)
zur Info: keech ist regional (Schottland), glaube ich.
and thus had no very clear picture in my mind -> ... did not have a very clear ...
the book did not continue in this way -> ... continue like that
hints Meinst du references oder vielleicht veiled references?
it will develop over the next books. -> ... evolve / be developed in the later books.
after that I can tell you -> ... I will be able to tell you

Bei dieser Formulierung musste ich schmunzeln: moderately enthralling. Nennt man das nicht damning with faint praise? :-)

Brookmyre kenne ich überhaupt nicht, kann also zur Diskussion leider nichts beitragen.
#65VerfasserSD3 (451227) 07 Nov 10, 19:20
Kommentar
Thanks for the suggestions and comments, SD3 :-)

hints Meinst du references oder vielleicht veiled references?

Yes, veiled references sounds good but it was not possible for me to use that expression because I had never heard it before :-)

About "moderately enthralling": I have to admit that the main story was not that arresting that I was glued to the book but it nevertheless had other qualities making it interesting enough.
#66Verfasserharambee (91833) 07 Nov 10, 20:12
Kommentar
We watched an impressive film last night:

The Diving-Bell and the Butterfly, after the book by Jean-Dominique Bauby

He was editor of French "Elle" magazine and had a stroke aged 43 which left him paralysed but able to blink one eye - and this is how he dictated an entire book. Fascinating story, excellent film.
#67Verfasserpenguin (236245) 08 Nov 10, 09:25
Kommentar
@ penguin:

I read the book quite a while ago. It's really awesome how he managed to write that (or got it written). I was not aware that there's a film about. Was it in cinema or on dvd?

@ harambee:

One book on a weekend - I wished I'd ever manage to find the time for reading a book in that time again. My recent book was started about a month ago - and it's really not that bad that I wouldn't like to continue reading. But somehow there are always some other things that have to be done more urgently.
#68VerfasserSachs (638558) 08 Nov 10, 10:17
Kommentar
We recorded it from TV about 3 months ago but hadn't got around to watching it yet.
#69Verfasserpenguin (236245) 08 Nov 10, 11:28
Kommentar
penguin, hab den Wiki-Artikel dazu kurz überflogen, klingt wirklich sehr eigenartig die Geschichte.

Bei Freunden eingeladen gestern Abend. Die Frage kam auf, was hierzulande mit Plastikmüll wirklich passiert. Überall in München stehen die Recycling-Container herum, aber wieviel davon wandert doch ins Ausland, wird ins Meer versenkt usw.? Wird überhaupt was davon recycelt? Weiß jemand Bescheid? (Vielleicht gehört die Frage eher in "Land u. Leute".)
#70VerfasserPhillipp08 Nov 10, 11:36
Kommentar
Phillipp,

das wüsste ich auch gerne genauer. Sollte es wirklich ins Ausland wandern, bzw. im Meer landen, müsste man eigentlich wie die Bürger in Dannenberg reagieren, allerdings vollkommen friedlich.
Hoffentlich werden meine Bemerkungen nicht als ideoligisierend gewertet, denn so sind sie nicht gemeint. Als ich neulich in einem Museeum des Vulkanparks war, wurde mir erneut bewusst, wie unvorstellbar lange alles auf unserer Erde gebraucht hat, um sich so zu entwickeln, wie es jetzt ist. Stellt man sich den zeitlichen Entwicklungsverlauf wie einen ausgeklappten Zollstock vor, steht die Entstehung des Menschen erst ganz an dessen Ende. Es kann doch nicht sein, dass 'die Krone der Schöpfung' all das Einzigartige und Faszinierende gefährdet, was sich über Millionen von Jahren entwickelt hat.

So, dass musste jetzt mal sein. (Aus Zeitmangel leider auf Deutsch.)
#71Verfassercookie crumbler (484354) 08 Nov 10, 13:26
Kommentar
Du hast ein s aus dem letzten Satz für dein nächstes Posting gut, Krümelchen.

And if someone can tell me how to say "etwas gut haben" in English I'll gladly use this expression the next time.
#72VerfasserSachs (638558) 08 Nov 10, 13:49
Kommentar
z.B. You have a credit of one "s" towards your next post.
#73VerfasserSD3 (451227) 08 Nov 10, 13:56
Kommentar
Upsy-daisy!
Das musste sein. (Sorry!)
And it should also be ideologisieren...

*waving*
#74Verfassercookie crumbler (484354) 08 Nov 10, 14:11
Kommentar
Hi, I'm back safe and sound. I can't possibly read all you've written; I only scanned through all your postings. Thanks for the highlights, wi-chan, very helpful in such a situation!

I recently asked our local yellow-bag company what they really did with the plastic waste - because my son said what the heck should he sort waste for; after all it was all burnt together with the residual, anyway.
The bloke on the phone said it was all sorted carefully and led to recycling. But of course I don't have any way of verifying his claim.

@hm--us
Fortunately, we didn't have any problems with getting petrol. There was one petrol station along the motorway which had run out of unleaded 95 petrol (the unleaded 98 which is more expensive was available). But this was announced on a board along the motorway quite early on (very practical, those boards, on the French motorways, which warn you of traffic jams and give other useful information). So people were able to fill up at another station.

I'm still in the process of getting sorted out at home, filling washing machines, reading emails, getting the most important things done which have come up during my absence, that kind of thing.

#75VerfasserGoldammer (428405) 08 Nov 10, 14:30
Kommentar
Thanks, SD3, I coudn't find a proper translation - now that I read your sentence it sounds logical and I wonder why I didn't think of that.
#76VerfasserSachs (638558) 08 Nov 10, 14:46
Kommentar
Welcome back, Emberiza. I hope that it was windy enough ;-)
#77VerfasserSelima (107) 08 Nov 10, 14:52
Kommentar
Hallo Goldammer! Eine kleine Anmerkung in einem sonst makellosen Posting:

"it was all sorted carefully and led to recycling" ==> evtl. z.B. "it was all sorted carefully and sent for recycling" -- "led to" passt irgendwie nicht richtig da, ist auch zweideutig.
#78VerfasserPhillipp08 Nov 10, 16:22
Kommentar
Thanks Phillipp - in what way is it ambiguuous? I was looking for a translation of "dem Recycling zugeführt".

@Selima
Well, we didn't have a proper storm. But it was very nice all the same - very warm most of the time. We sat outdoors for our coffee one afternoon.
There isn't very much to tell, really, because we had a very quiet, relaxing, enjoyable week without any major events. We went for brief walks to "our" beach and coastline daily and did several longish walks along the picturesque Breton rocky coast. The waves were quite high on some days so the incoming tide was quite spectacular to watch. I could sit and watch that for hours - it's more exciting than a thriller on TV, I find.
We had very nice food, too. There's a wonderful little artisan boulangerie in Audierne - their cakes are absolutely delicious, and they do many kinds of special bread and baguettes, too, which we had with the typical air-dried salami and cheeses, and on one occasion we had a mushroom dish of self-collected parasols.

(Tomorrow I'll face the terrible truth of the scales....I am in the process of losing weight at the moment, but interrupted that for the week....will have to get back to my program now..)
#79VerfasserGoldammer (428405) 08 Nov 10, 17:03
Kommentar
Goldammer: the terrible truth of the scales : ha ha ha (sorry!) (köstlich ausgedrückt). :-)

"it was all sorted carefully and led to recycling" -- "led" kann man zweierlei verstehen: "it was ... led to recycling" (so hast du es, deiner Erklärung nach, gemeint) (nur benutzt man "lead" nicht in diesem Sinne von "zuführen"); oder: "it was all sorted ... and [that] led to recycling" ( . . . und [das] führte zum Recycling") -- was auch natürlich holprig bis syntaktisch schief ist. Wie gesagt, vielleicht "was sent for recycling".

Deine Urlaubswoche klingt sehr schön. Ich war nur einmal als 15-jähriger (und leidenschaftlicher Fotograf) in der Bretagne. Mich haben die gewaltigen gegen die Felsen anbrandenden Wellen damals auch immer wieder fasziniert.

Noch in Erinnerung ist mir eine Stoppuhr geblieben. Die hatte ich von einem Schulkameraden, nur wurde mein ununterbrochenes "Stoppen" von allem total zwanghaft, bis ich eines Tages verzweifelt die Uhr gegen einen nahen Felsen schleuderte: Fels, Gischt und das winzige zerschellende Instrument: sehr befriedigend. Nicht dass ich dadurch die Zeit zum Stillstand bringen konnte natürlich. ;-)
#80VerfasserPhillipp08 Nov 10, 18:44
Kommentar
Für mich würde 'it was led' in erster Linie bedeuten: 'er (? der Plastikmüll?) wurde (von jemandem) dorthin geführt.' Zum Beispiel an der Leine, weil er selbst den Weg nicht kannte.

Ich würde auch 'sent' nehmen, oder vielleicht 'taken'.

Habe ich mich noch nicht bei wi-chan für den Faden bedankt? Oops. Danke, wi-chan.

#81Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 08 Nov 10, 22:05
Kommentar
Ich bin müde und kann nichts außer ein paar Korrektürchen fur Goldammer beitragen.

walks along the picturesque rocky Breton coast. Wortstellung

I had been losing weight, but interrupted that for a week....will have to get back to my program now. "at the moment" geht nicht, die Zeitspanne ist zu kurz und passt nicht zu abnehmen.

@Philipp: Kannst du deine Geschichte mit der Stoppuhr erklären? Irgendwie blicke ich sie nicht. (Sagt man das tatsächlich? Das steht in LEO: etw.Akk. blicken - verstehen [ugs.]

*Eiswürfel für ale hinterlass. Wachtelkönig vermiss*
#82VerfasserAmy-MiMi (236989) 09 Nov 10, 00:52
Kommentar
Good evening!

Hi Amy-MiMi, I sometimes peek briefly in the evenings, but since I currently don't manage to follow the conversation, nothing worth contributing occurs to me. I think I even forgot to thank me1 for a bottle of Trollinger I found by chance in an already abandoned snailhouse.
#83VerfasserWachtelkönig (396690) 09 Nov 10, 01:19
Kommentar
Danke an alle für die Beleidswünsche. Wir haben immer noch nicht Melindas Angehörige gefunden. Wenn sie bis Ende der Woche nicht gefunden werden, dann bekommen wir wahrscheinlich die Leiche.

In anderen Nachrichten . . .

Ich lese zur Zeit das Buch "The Shadow of the Wind" von Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Es ist ein Krimi und ich finde es gut. Tatort: Barcelona nach dem 2. Weltkrieg. Handlung: ein zehnjähriger Junge bekommt zum Geschenk ein Buch von einem nicht erfolgreichen Schriftsteller. Später erfährt der Junge, dass jemand versucht alle Bücher dieses Autors zu verbrennen. Er will wissen warum und geht der Sache auf die Spur.

Am Wochenende hörten wir viel über ein radioaktives Kaninchen im Bundesstaat Washington. Hier ist ein Link: Radioaktives Kaninchen

Nächste Woche machen wir (einige meiner Deutschschüler, ihre Eltern und ich) einen Ausflug zur Oper. Die LA Opera bietet Lohengrin, und wir gehen zur Generalprobe. Alles wird in die Zeit des 1. Weltkriegs versetzt und spielt in einem Feldlazarett. Da ist kein Schwan zu sehen.
#84VerfasserRobert -- US (328606) 09 Nov 10, 07:29
Kommentar
Thanks Phillipp and hm for explanations on "led to recycling", and Amy-MiMi for your corrections.
In German it wouldn't be a problem to say: Ich bin im Moment am Abnehmen....

"Irgendwie blicke ich die Geschichte nicht" is perfectly ok colloquially.

(The scales were very VERY mean this morning. Incredible what you can put on in one week by "living like God in France"...)

@Robert
Condolences from me, too. What a horrible situation indeed!

Although it is a very sad topic, I'd like to comment on something languagewise. I somehow felt that using the word "Leiche" in that context doesn't sound completely appropriate to me. I am thinking on what would sound better....I think I'd say "Leichnam" instead. It's a very subtle difference, but somehow I wouldn't use the word "Leiche" in connection with a person to whom I had a closer relationship.
#85VerfasserGoldammer (428405) 09 Nov 10, 08:07
Kommentar
Danke, Goldammer. Kannst Du ein bisschen mehr sagen, was der Unterschied zwischen Leiche und Leichnam ist? Ist Leiche vielleicht einfach zu "klinisch" bez. unpersönlich (d.h. gehört in einen Bericht von der Polizei, dem Coroner oder der Zeitung)?
#86VerfasserRobert -- US (328606) 09 Nov 10, 08:30
Kommentar
Good morning snails!
Thank you, wi-chan, for the nice new house and the wonderful Hochlichter! As I missed the last thread completely, I could get 'up to date' without reading the whole previous thread! ;-)

As far as I know just one minimoose does exist by now, but who knows...?
That's how rumours are formed, isn't it? *gg*

Robert, I was shocked to hear about your friend's accident. I feel very sorry for you and all your friends, too.

I think you got the difference between 'Leiche' and 'Leichnam' quite well. I probably would have explained it like you did... But others might be able to explain it better.

#87Verfasserdragonfly70 (672923) 09 Nov 10, 09:07
Kommentar
I think that "der Leichnam" is slightly more formal speech; it might be of religional origin (not entirely sure, but you can't speak of "die Leiche Christi, it would have to be "der Leichnam Christi") and usually refers to the whole (dead) body, the corpse, as such.

"Die Leiche" refers to the simple fact that somebody is dead; you might not know them, have no relationship with them. Perhaps "cadaver" might be an appropriate translation? "Eine nicht identifizierte Leiche", an unidentified cadaver. "Die Leiche wurde erst Tage später gefunden... der Leichnam wurde in den Heimatort des Verstorbenen überführt..."

But honestly I think that "Leichnam" and "Leiche" are synonyms for practically all intents and purposes. Doesn't help much, does it?
#88VerfasserCarullus (670120) 09 Nov 10, 09:13
Kommentar
I see the difference as follows:

Leiche = body
Nur über meine Leiche! = over my dead body!
It's fairly neutral. Context: crime, autopsy, human remains to be buried

Leichnam = corpse
cf.
Leichnam, der; -s, -e /Pl. ungebräuchl./ toter menschlicher Körper, Leiche: der L. des Staatsmannes, des großen Dichters wurde aufgebahrt, feierlich beigesetzt; er sieht wie ein lebender L. (sehr blaß, elend) aus; Er fühlte sich ... den nahen Menschen fern und fremd, der Mutter, die ein lebender Leichnam (innerlich tot, leer) war
http://www.dwds.de/?kompakt=1&sh=1&qu=Leichnam
It's religious (not religional ...), spiritual, personal.

hm -- us explains it well here: Siehe auch: Trauerfeier (+ Sarg/Leichnam; 0hne Begräbnis... - #1
#89Verfasserpenguin (236245) 09 Nov 10, 09:25
Kommentar
Amy-MiMi: Ich nahm die Stoppuhr überall mit, stoppte alles, aber alles -- jeden Schritt, jede Schluckbewegung, jedes Lüftchen, wie lang die Sonne hinter einer Wolke blieb, wie lang jedes Familienmitglied brauchte auf dem Klo, wie lange mein Vater brauchte, um einen Satz auf Französisch rauszubringen usw. Es wurde zum regelrechten Zwang, unter dem (auch) ich litt. Eines Tages, als ich allein an der bretonischen Küste wanderte, packte mich eine deftige Wut -- zuerst gegen mich selber wahrscheinlich, aber dann schließlich -- gegen meine Stoppuhr, die ich bei der nächstbesten Gelegenheit (an einem nahen, aus dem Meer herausspringenden Felsbrocken) umstandslos hinrichtete. So befreite ich mich von meinem Stoppzwang (wenn auch nicht unbedingt von seinen Ursachen). ;-)
#90VerfasserPhillipp09 Nov 10, 09:55
Kommentar
It's religious (not religional ...)

Duh. I clearly need more coffee.
#91VerfasserCarullus (670120) 09 Nov 10, 09:57
Kommentar
@ Amy

Irgendwie blicke ich sie nicht.

I'd say "Irgendwie blicke ich da nicht ganz durch." But according to Goldammer it seems to be different in other parts of the German speaking world. In Austria at least it would sound a bit odd.
#92VerfasserSachs (638558) 09 Nov 10, 09:58
Kommentar
I agree with Sachs:
Irgendwie blicke ich sie nicht. sounds a bit 6g/ tilted \6g to me.

Welcome back, Goldammer and dragonfly ;-)
#93Verfasserharambee (91833) 09 Nov 10, 11:13
Kommentar
But don't you say 'ich blick's nicht'?
#94VerfasserSelima (107) 09 Nov 10, 11:17
Kommentar
We (Austrians) don't :)
#95VerfasserCarullus (670120) 09 Nov 10, 11:35
Kommentar
Never heard that, Selima. Maybe a mishearing for the "new-German" "Ich check's nicht", what is occassionally used for "I don't get the point"?
#96VerfasserSachs (638558) 09 Nov 10, 11:38
Kommentar
No no no! Not a mishearing. It is "New German" allright, but it is definitely common in our neck of the wood.

Mathe ist so schwer! Ich blick das überhaupt nicht!
Der hat eine komische Geschichte erzählt - also die blick ich nicht recht.
Wann soll ich nochmal wo hinkommen? Ich blick's nicht, bitte erklär mir das nochmal!

@Phillipp
So the Breton coast hat a really cathartic effect on you! I can well imagine that. Must have been a great moment.
#97VerfasserGoldammer (428405) 09 Nov 10, 11:52
Kommentar
So another expression with regional differences it seems. Or is it only/mainly used by folks younger than 20 or 15 or so?
#98VerfasserSachs (638558) 09 Nov 10, 11:56
Kommentar
Ermmmm, Sachs, I've used that expression already when I was younger than 20 or 15 or so, i.e. in the early Pleistocene ;-)
#99VerfasserSelima (107) 09 Nov 10, 12:01
Kommentar
That'S difficult to explain:

Mathe ist so schwer! Ich blick das überhaupt nicht!
Wann soll ich nochmal wo hinkommen? Ich blick's nicht, bitte erklär mir das nochmal!
I would probably not say that myself but these two examples don't sound too strange to me.

Der hat eine komische Geschichte erzählt - also die blick ich nicht recht.
Sounds very unfamiliar to my ears.

In all these examples I would probably use "kapieren".

#100Verfasserharambee (91833) 09 Nov 10, 12:12
Kommentar
© Selima:
I've used that expression already when I was younger than 20 or 15 or so, i.e. in the early Pleistocene ;-)

...and am still using it!
#101VerfasserGoldammer (428405) 09 Nov 10, 13:00
Kommentar
Hello dear CC-Snails,

I am back from my holiday and buried with work, which is why I can give you only a short travel report.

In a few characters: NEVER USE EASYJET! (and don't use Gatwick)

I most certainly never will ever again. Why? Well... I do believe I am quite a frequent flyer and have flewn innumerable times with quite a number of airlines. But never did I experience such a horror-trip as when I tried to leave London via Gatwick to go to Duesseldorf last week.

It all began, after I went through the security check. The screen, which tells you which gate to go to, told me "please wait". As I was early, I didn't care and waited. When it was the scheduled boarding time I checked the screen again and it still said: "please wait"... So I did... 10 minutes past boarding time - please wait, 20 minutes past boarding time - please wait, 35 minutes past boarding time, red blinking letters appeared: "Flight closing" - no gate number!
Hundreds of eople jumped up, ran towards the infodesk and by word of mouth we found out that the gate was - of courses - the farest one away. So all of us ran - literally - to the gate. To find it deserted and empty in the dark. We thought this was a joke but someone in a uniform assured us that it was the correct gate, but our plane hadn't even arrived yet. So we waited.... and waited...
Finally, the plane arrived, passengers embarked, people in EasyJet uniforms appeared and started boarding.
Suddenly, a cracking voice came through the intercom. Everybody Stop. The passenger already in the plane, had to leave again. No explanation as to why.
Nervous waiting began until half an hour later, the French Easyjetguy said in a thick French accent: "Uhm, I don't know how to say. You're plane is not good."
What? ... more nervous waiting....
The Captain appeared and explained something hydraulic was wrong and the technicians had declared the aircraft unfit to fly.
So, what now?
One hour later a plane from Parma arrived at Gatwick and this plane was supposed to brin us to Duesseldorf.
More waiting....
Plane arrived, passengers embarked, crew went on... nothing. A technician appeared. Whispered something to the French guy. The news came out. This plane was also unfit to fly.
People were beginning to get impatient and even the Brits were about to lose their coolness.
More waiting... until the French guy tried again:
"Ladies and Gentleman. I have good and bad news. Good news is, you might (!) be flying tonight. Bad news is, if you do, you won't be going to Duesseldorf. There is another aircraft going to Cologne. But there are already passengers on it, so we do't know if all of you can go on it."
Shoutings in various languages arose. Huge chaos. The little Pakistani mother with her 2 litle children just pulled my sleeve: "Excuse me, but where is Cologne?".

Half an hour later, we started boarding the plane to Cologne. Everyone was in and sat down, when the captain announced that we will FINALLY start any moment - as soon as the missing crew member has been found!
So we sat in the plane... waiting.... while the captain apologized for the delay and the re-direction to cologne.
Cologne? The guy right in front of me jumped up towards the crew, started arguing loudly and full of gestures, then ran back towards his seat, grapped his bag and left through the still open door.
The 2 stewardesses immediately jumped at his seat, pulled off the seat, pulled out the magazines, flipped through it, checked the life vest under the seat, checked the back of the seat, the overhead locker, opened all lockers and pulled out every piece of luggage: "A green bag, whose is it? Please raise your hand! - A blue bag, whose is it? Please raise your hand!..... " so while the missing crew member had arrived, we waited until every piece of hand luggage had been checked...
Somewhen later, the plane started and I arrived in Cologne, almost 5 hours behind schedule, where my poor dad, who had arrived at the airport extra early because he was so looking forward to seeing me again, happily picked me up.
I was so happy, because I would not have had the nerves to get on the bus to Duesseldorf which Easyjet had presumably provided.

The way back wasn't as eventful, but also nearly 2 hours late.... :(

Ooops.. wasn't so short after all... ;)

@topic:
I wouldn't say "blicken" either and think it was a poor translation from English "I see".
I'd also say "kapieren" or "raffen" - "Ich raff's nicht."
#102VerfasserJools (432226) 09 Nov 10, 15:52
Kommentar
Yeiks, Jools. Klingt echt schlimm. Bei einer 5-stündigen Wartezeit plus Umleitung nach Köln hätte eine anständige Fluggesellschaft euch Vouchers (?) angeboten.

Obwoch mir das Wort "flewn" gefällt, wäre "flown" die bessere Wahl ;o)

Du hattest aber ansonsten einen schönen Urlaub, hoffe ich?

#103VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 09 Nov 10, 16:07
Kommentar
Actually, there's an EU regulation...
#104VerfasserCarullus (670120) 09 Nov 10, 16:57
Kommentar
Sounds really horrible, Jools. A friend told me something similar about that airline a while ago - even if they had "only" 3 hours delay. Their trip back home started with endless waiting for check-in, also no gates on the screen and then suddenly, quite a long time after the scheduled time for the flight, telling that boarding was closed. When they finally found out the correct gate, ran there and exhaustedly boarded their plane they had to wait another 1 1/2 hours for take off - of course without any information about the reasons that caused the delay.

But I hope you could save a bit of relaxation from your holiday nevertheless?
#105VerfasserSachs (638558) 09 Nov 10, 17:57
Kommentar
Good evening!

Just a few lines, as I'm tired afted a very mad day.

'Etwas blicken' (coll.) is absolutely fine, at least in Germany. Usually, however, it's used with 'das'. 'Ich blick das (überhaupt) nicht' is used in the sense of 'I don't suss it out.'

Bye!
#106Verfassercookie crumbler (484354) 09 Nov 10, 20:32
Kommentar
Cannot say since when I know "blicken" in the above sense, but though it's not in my active vocabulary I don't finde it peculiar or strange. But it does always sound a bit "southernish" to me.

@Jools: Wow, that sounds like a really good start for a holiday!
#107Verfasserh h (38469) 09 Nov 10, 21:05
Kommentar
Danke für die vielen Kommentare zu blicken. Wie man so schön sagt, LEO bildet. Oder wie Carullus so schön sagte: leo docet et delectat. Manche Muttersprachler lernen auch etwas über die deutsche Sprache!

@h h: Besser wäre: I cannot say how long I've known...

Ich mag flewn. Werde ich demnächst einführen.

Weiteres Korrekturle für Jools: started arguing loudly and making a lot of gestures (oder gesturing wildly), then ran back towards his seat, grabbed (vermutlich nur ein Tippfehler) his bag and left through the still open door.

*Jools den Geduld Orden erster Klasse überreich*

@Sachs: "I hope you could save" klingt nicht ganz einwandfrei, aber momentan fällt mir kein eindeutiger Fehler ein. I hope you could rescue wäre vielleicht besser. Auf jeden Fall klingt "after all" besser als "nevertheless" am Ende dieses Satzes. Nevertheless klingt ein bisschen...hochgegriffen...oder sagen wir mal, zu sehr nach Schriftsprache. Du willst doch herzlich rüberkommen, oder?

Danke, Philipp. Jetzt stehe ich auf dem Teppich. Vielleicht habe ich stoppen als Verb nicht gecheckt. *gg* Du hast deine Geschichte ganz toll erzählt.

Diese Leckerbissen (?) habe ich gestern im Supermarkt gesehen. Die wollte ich sofort kaufen und unserer Moose schicken. http://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-Mousse-Marshm...

*rausschleim*
#108VerfasserAmy-MiMi (236989) 10 Nov 10, 01:10
Kommentar
No news, just spending another boring morning at the office. I'm only writing here because I didn't want that our thread disappears from page 1.

Oh, and thanks to Amy. Of course it was my intention that it "comes across heartly" (?).
#109VerfasserSachs (638558) 10 Nov 10, 11:02
Kommentar
Thank you all, for comments and corrections.
I just read my post again and have to admit, I am embarrassed about all the typing errors. Next time, I'll take my time again and won't rush. ;)

Yes.. flewn.. of course it should have been flown.. Those are the mistakes that I suddenly remember in the middle of the night, when I am about to fall asleep. ;)

It wasn't really a holiday-holiday. Visting parents is never a real holiday, also because, when I go to Germany, I usually have lots of administrative things to do. But it was nice. Good parental food and shockingly bad German television. I found a new favourite trash TV show called "Das ist unser Leben" or so... HartzIV-TV Deluxe. Like a car accident where you just can't stop watching, because you can't belive sth like this is really happening.

On another note, I will tell my boss either today or tomorrow, that I won't be coming back after Christmas. I am a bit nervous as to how he will react.. :( (and my plans works out and I can survive without income for a few weeks).

And I am attending my second fencing lesson tonight. The first one was great fun. Our teacher - a funny Russian guy - brought a big bag full of really old weapons to demonstrate how fencing has developed over the last few hundred years. Then he taught us the first few basic steps without weapons - and although we only did those steps (move one step forward, move one step backward, engarde and retreat) for roughly 15minutes in total, I was totally exhausted and sweaty afterwards. I had never thought that hardly moving or rather concentrating really hard, can be so physically exhausting. Tonight we will get weapons. Yay! :D

Alright.. I can hear my work call my name... better get going...

@Amy... those Xmas Peeps look great. I only knew Easter Peeps. :)
#110VerfasserJools (432226) 10 Nov 10, 11:15
Kommentar
Was "deine" Fluggesellschaft angeht, Jools, mit ihr habe ich auch schlechte Erfahrungen gemacht und benutze sie deswegen nicht mehr. Ich zahle lieber etwas mehr für weniger Probleme ...

Danke fürs Kompliment, Amy: Die Tastatur ist bekannterweise geduldig. ;-)
#111VerfasserPhillipp10 Nov 10, 11:37
Kommentar
OT - Until now I knew Cher only as a human spare parts store - "I beg your pardon, Madam!" :-)
#112Verfassermanni3 (305129) 10 Nov 10, 12:57
Kommentar
Den Film Moonstruck kennst du nicht, manni? Cher und Nicolas Cage mit einem "Ersatzteil"? Der war ganz nett.

Das war jetzt ein Fehler, ich habe auf Bild 2 geklickt.
"Ich werde einen besseren Job machen müssen."
Das soll "I'll have to do a better job" entsprechen? :-(

[edit] When she's right, she's right! :-)

#113VerfasserSD3 (451227) 10 Nov 10, 13:11
Kommentar
For me and my 'trunk English' the translation sounds good. How would you translate the sentenß of Obama?
#114Verfassermanni3 (305129) 10 Nov 10, 13:20
Kommentar
bessere Arbeit leisten?
Ist der deutsche Job nicht die Arbeitsstelle?
#115VerfasserSD3 (451227) 10 Nov 10, 13:27
Kommentar
Was meint ihr? Amy hat anscheinend eine Vorliebe für "elchen"-mäßiges Essen, oder? (moose tracks, mousse "moose" peeps ;o))
#116VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 10 Nov 10, 13:33
Kommentar
Not necessarily, SD3. But the sentence above is really ambiguous and could be understood that someone wants to change into another "better" job. A possible translation, also using job, would be "Ich werde meinen Job besser (als bisher) machen müssen."
#117VerfasserSachs (638558) 10 Nov 10, 13:39
Kommentar
For my understanding SZ-Obama is speaking idiomatically German - it's not at all ambiguous in my ears but perhaps vernacular a little bit.

er leistet gute Arbeit = er macht einen guten Job

Sachs's "that someone wants to change into another 'better' job" would be in my words "Ich werde mir einen besseren Job suchen müssen!"

#118Verfassermanni3 (305129) 10 Nov 10, 13:48
Kommentar
Neeeeiin! Wir sind auf der zweiten Seite gelandet! Ich bin zu spät gekommen!!
#119VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 10 Nov 10, 17:09
Kommentar
"Ich werde einen besseren Job machen müssen."

I would never interpret this as "looking for a better job". Nevertheless, I'm wondering whether that is an anglicism or not. There is an old Leo discussion addressing this question:

Siehe auch: Weil ich's grad wieder lesen musste: "Job"
#120Verfasserharambee (91833) 10 Nov 10, 17:47
Kommentar
But maybe only because it's the combination of "besser" and "müssen" and one hardly expects that someone complains because he has to do a better job. Would the meaning be also clear if someone would say "Ich habe schon einen schlechteren Job gemacht"? I don't think so.

And with an ironical touch even "Ich werde einen besseren Job machen müssen" could be interpreted as speaking about a different job. Not necessarily in the meaning of "looking for a better job", but maybe of getting another job one doesn't really like with the hint that it is so much better than what one did before, so the reaction could be very well "Dann werde ich wohl einen besseren Job machen müssen."

Sure, that's nitpicking, but since I read only this one sentence without any context ...
#121VerfasserSachs (638558) 10 Nov 10, 18:43
Kommentar
Danke schön, Sachs, manni und harambee für eure Kommentare zu Job und auch für den Link zum anderen Faden.

Was würde man denn einem Kind sagen, das sein Zimmer aufräumen soll, wenn er es gut macht?
Auf Englisch sagt man typischerweise: You did a good / great / excellent / fabulous job etc.
Wenn man mit ihm aber nicht zufrieden ist, sagt man z.B.: You did a really bad / poor job on your room, you know. Why don't you try it again? (Letzteres sagt natürlich nur der hoffnungslose Optimist. *g*)
#122VerfasserSD3 (451227) 11 Nov 10, 00:07
Kommentar
I think you gave the answer yourself, SD3. How about "gut gemacht"?

And for a poor job, you might say "Das war nicht so toll" or something like that (it sounds a bit demotivating, though, I'd rather go for "Das kannst du aber besser", for example).

Now you just have to teach your son German, so that you can say it to him. ;-)
#123Verfasserwi-chan (390817) 11 Nov 10, 00:29
Kommentar
Hallo wi-chan! Immer noch wach?

Du würdest z.B. nicht sagen: Du hast einen guten Job gemacht?

Die Zeit ist leider schon längst vergangen, als ich meinem Sohn etwas beibringen konnte. Er kann inzwischen alles viel besser als ich - außer Deutsch. Hmm, vielleicht hast du recht. ;-)
#124VerfasserSD3 (451227) 11 Nov 10, 00:35
Kommentar
No, I don't think I'd say that. It still feels like an anglicism (or do you capitalise that?) to me, and one of the weird ones, too. If I read that sentence in a text I'd be editing, I'd try to put it differently.

Yes, I tend do stay awake into the small hours these days. It seems to be closer to my natural biorhythm. A kind of "joblessness jetlag", maybe. But I'm sure I'll find a good job soon, to do a good job there! :-)
#125Verfasserwi-chan (390817) 11 Nov 10, 00:53
Kommentar
anglicism (or do you capitalise that?) Weiß ich nicht, da wir uns im Englischen um solche Unsitten nicht kümmern. *g*
Was die Arbeitssuche angeht, drücke ich dir die Daumen.
#126VerfasserSD3 (451227) 11 Nov 10, 01:04
Kommentar
*wi-chan die Daumen drück*

Moonstruck hat auch mir gut gefallen. Den Film sollte ich noch mal anschauen.

@Jools: Klar sind die Ur-Peeps, die die um Ostern auftauchen. WIMNI kamen dann die Halloween-Peeps und inzwischen gibt es Weihnachts-Peeps. Die sehe ich dieses Jahr zum ersten Mal, glaube ich. (Reihenfolge okay? Gemeint ist: This year is the first time I've seen them.) Eigentlich gibt es wahrscheinlich Peeps zu jedem Feiertag.

Flewn ist aber derart toll! Rettet flewn! Da muss ich daran denken:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?...

I was feeling a bit acrasial, but then I decided to cheer up and adopt a word. Ich weiß, manch Schnecke hält es für dangerös, auf eine solche Site zu klicken, aber ich habe es gewagt.

Don't be acrasial, be happy!
#127VerfasserAmy-MiMi (236989) 11 Nov 10, 02:47
Kommentar
That would be nice, if one could happify oneself.
#128VerfasserWachtelkönig (396690) 11 Nov 10, 03:22
Kommentar
Well.. I am happy that you like flewn. ;)
There was another funny word I created a while back. It roginiated form a typo I think. But I don't remember what it was... ???

My word of the day is:
acrasial

Leo doesn't have it and Google gives me "ill-mannered, ill-tempered".
Is it a common word? Is it related to crazy? It sounds like the name of a witch's cat from a children's or fantasy novel... :)
#129VerfasserJools (432226) 11 Nov 10, 10:34
Kommentar
Morning!

'Seinen Job gut machen' reminds me of 'make one's jobby' and I'd never use the expression in German.

Happify yourselves, snails! Even if **** hits the fan, life goes on.

*creepingtoscho****
#130Verfassercookie crumbler (484354) 11 Nov 10, 10:44
Kommentar
It roginiated form a typo I think. But I don't remember what it was... ???

:-))
#131VerfasserPhillipp11 Nov 10, 10:52
Kommentar
Not again! *banging head on table*

*off to the coffee machine*
#132VerfasserJools (432226) 11 Nov 10, 11:08
Kommentar
Why all this banging about? Have you lost all your potimism???

really need to dash...
#133Verfassercookie crumbler (484354) 11 Nov 10, 11:16
Kommentar
Ja, und pass auf, der Tisch ist wertvoll! *gg*

Schönen Tag, cookie!
#134VerfasserPhillipp11 Nov 10, 11:19
Kommentar
Ah yes.. potimism. How could I forget that...
#135VerfasserJools (432226) 11 Nov 10, 11:24
Kommentar
Thanks for mentioning Banksy at the beginning of the thread. Finally got round to order the "tours&locations" guide. :-) Hopefully the weather around Christmas will allow for a walk or two to check out if any of the stencils are left.

Amy: Dangerös? I'll adopt that, directly. :-)
#136VerfasserGuggstDu (427193) 11 Nov 10, 12:09
Kommentar
@GuggstDu.. if you're in London and looking for great streetart, just walk around the EastEnd, Spitalfields and especially Shoreditch area.
If you check out the side streets off Brick Lane, you'll find plenty. There is relatively new one on Fashion St, which looks like a Banksy, but I don't think it is by him.

There are also quite a number of famous ones, by other famous street-artists.
There is a huge famous hare on Hackney Road, which Hackney Council now wants to remove. :(
http://www.hackneycitizen.co.uk/2010/10/26/ro...

There is also Village Underground (right off Commercial Street and Shoreditch High St. Crossing), where different street artists use the building's outer walls for gigantic pictures (sometimes also advertising). There is also a giant "credit crunch" on the top(a cute grey Monster biting into a pound coin). I don't know why, but they recently removed all the colourful mushrooms that someone had placed onto walls and fences in that area.

Or you can go and look for the space invaders. Rumour has it, there are more than 75 space invaders all over London. Some are huge and some are tiny...
http://www.artofthestate.co.uk/photos/space_i...

http://www.artofthestate.co.uk/photos/space_i...
#137VerfasserJools (432226) 11 Nov 10, 12:33
Kommentar
Gibt es keine Webseite für die Schablonenkunst wie für Geocaching? Das wäre doch was, oder?
#138VerfasserSD3 (451227) 11 Nov 10, 13:46
Kommentar
@Jools: Re: the Hackney hare. Something like this happened to a friend some years ago. One morning she found a really funny stencil on the garden wall of her (rented) house, complete with rat and Banksy signature. She snapped a picture of it, and "squealed" happily about it on her blog. It lasted all of one week, until the council got round to sending someone with a bucket of black (!!) paint to paint it over...
#139VerfasserGuggstDu (427193) 11 Nov 10, 13:52
Kommentar
Alright. It's out. Friday December 17, 2010 will be my last day in this office. I will have to spend one week with my replacement to teach him/her what all this is about and what he/she needs to do and especially where to find things (!) and then I'll go on my Xmas holiday and start a new chapter next year. :)

The reactions were a bit strange though, because everyone laughed quite irritatedly, when I told them why I was leaving and what my future plans are. Although, not so much about the plan itself, but rather the place. They couldn't understand why I wouldn't go back to Germany, but to a totally different country, far far away, where they eat funny things, have a very different worldview and put people into prison, who voice their opinion too loud. But yes... if things work out *finger's crossed* I'll be writing from somewhere in China next spring... if the Leo website and English forum is accessible there that is.

Feels good to know I no longer will be stuck here... *relieved sigh*

@GuggstDu: sounds someone took that Amy Winehouse song too literal ;) - Paint it black.. tsss...
#140VerfasserJools (432226) 11 Nov 10, 15:07
Kommentar
Good luck, Jools! As you know I was in China a couple of times but I never worked there and that will be quite different. Anyway, it is a very interesting country, albeit not always easy.
#141Verfasserharambee (91833) 11 Nov 10, 15:19
Kommentar
Congratulations, Jools!
So China was the "thing" you didn't want to jinx? Can you talk about it now (details, details!) or is it still too early? I'd understand that, so no worries. (Did I already say that, sometimes, I'm a tiny bit nosy?)
I've never been to China, and I think it's really brave to go there. So far away! A language I have absolutely no idea of! And a culture that I don't know a lot about, too! (either? neither? Hm, maybe I should have gone with either...)
But: I hope cycling will be less dangerous for you!

*wavingateverysnailaround*
#142Verfasserestrellita (236267) 11 Nov 10, 15:23
Kommentar
Amy Winehouse? pffffffffft. Rolling Stones!

Gluckwünsch Jools! China -- ich finde die Idee toll. Der Ehemann macht auch begeistert mit? Kannst du Chinesisch? Oder Mandarin? Oder oder oder? Ich muss sagen, ich bin schon etwas neidisch. Aber ich kann mir nur schwer vorstellen meine Familie wieder zu verlassen und finde, ich sollte mich langsam einen Ehemann finden und evtl Kinder kriegen -- und das alles in einem fremden Land zu unternehmen kann ich mir erst recht schwer vorstellen. (Wie sagt man auf Deutsch "to live vicariously through s.o."? LEO gibt mir nichts zufriedenstellendes. Auf jeden Fall werde ich dann durch Jools vicariously leben müssen ;o)).
#143VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 11 Nov 10, 15:26
Kommentar
@Lara: ... ich sollte mir langsam einen Ehemann finden...
Oh, come on, you're still young! :-) Oh, by the way, did I tell you that I found mine? Well, found him some time ago, but next year it will become official :-)

Ha! You know which advertisement I currently see on top? Roland Berger, Chines (I assume) signs and then "Wo endet eigentlich die Chinesische Mauer? Finden Sie es heraus!" So is that what you're going to do, Jools?

And as topic of your other thread I actually read "Zwei Schwiegermütter für den 11/11?" and thought ok, it's carneval and all, but where and why would you need two mother-in-laws for that?
#144Verfasserestrellita (236267) 11 Nov 10, 15:31
Kommentar
Sorry estrellita if that once again is a regional difference, but

... ich sollte mir langsam einen Ehemann finden...

does not sound too idiomatic to me. A more common expression is

... ich sollte mir langsam mal einen Ehemann suchen ...

If you insist on finden, You could probably say

... ich sollte langsam mal einen Ehemann finden ...
or
... ich sollte langsam mal einen Ehemann für mich finden ...
#145Verfasserharambee (91833) 11 Nov 10, 15:37
Kommentar
No, I don't think it's a regional difference - after I sent my correction I also started wondering whether that's really idiomatic to say "Ich sollte mir einen Ehemann finden" and thought that "suchen" would have been better. However, I still think finden is possible, too.
And then of course there is "Ich sollte mir langsam mal einen Ehemann zulegen" :-)
#146Verfasserestrellita (236267) 11 Nov 10, 15:42
Kommentar
Oh yes, ... einen Ehemann zulegen ... is a nice expression :-)

Lara, I can't think of a good and close translation for "live vicariously through s.o.". :-(
#147Verfasserharambee (91833) 11 Nov 10, 15:45
Kommentar
"mich" hatte eigentlich dort nichts zu suchen. Die erste Version des Satzes war "I should start settling down" .. "ich sollte mich langsam zur Ruhe..." dann wusste ich nicht, wie ich den Satz weiterführen soll. Beim Löschen eben "mich" vergessen. Aber schön, dass daraus eine Diskussion abgeleitet werden konnte. :o)
#148VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 11 Nov 10, 15:47
Kommentar
No, me neither....
Hm, maybe "Ich lasse meine Abenteuer (wenn man nicht gleich das ganze Leben nehmen will) von Jools (er)leben"?
Not really a typical expression, but it might bring across the idea?
#149Verfasserestrellita (236267) 11 Nov 10, 15:47
Kommentar
Hmm ja, ich habe mir folgendes überlegt: "durch Jools das Leben in China erleben" aber es kommt mir komisch vor... Für solchen Fällen gibts eben Denglish ;o)
#150VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 11 Nov 10, 15:57
Kommentar
"die Jools stellvertretend für mich China erleben lassen." evtl.
#151VerfasserPhillipp11 Nov 10, 16:09
Kommentar
Thank you all.
Well... jinx or not... I'll forget being superstitious for a moment.

The (still) broad plan is to go over there to work for a few while (length depending on how much we like it).
Because I have studied cultural studies and worked in the field of intercultural communication before the credit crunch bit the company and I had to start this job, the most ideal situation would be to find work as a cultural trainer or intercultural manager or sth. similar, preferably in Beijing or Shanghai.
As I don't know yet how things will really work out, I am going to start building a securitynet by becoming a CELTA EFL teacher in January (yes I know I am not a native speaker, but at least I know English grammar - in theory ;) and I do believe my English isn't that bad...), and finish my Goethe Institut DaF teacher training in February. So, just in case, I can try to find work as a freelance teacher in China (and I have taught before and actually studied DaF in Germany as 3rd BA subject). (I know, but please, all you real teachers, don't kill me for this.)

The hubby is coming with. Initially it was his idea, because his work field is currently suffering quite badly from the financial crisis. He is self-employed, so that it's not a problem for him to just pack up and go somewhere else. He doesn't think it'll be a problem for him to find work in China, as he already knows people (former colleagues) there. There might also be the chance that he will be sent there by the company he's currently freelancing for. But we'll see.

None of us has ever been to China, but to a few other Asian countries and we always liked it there. Mainly because it is so very different, but not threatening.

None of us will get rich over there. But that's not why we are going. It's mainly that we want to do something else and see something else for a change. Also, the most recent political changes and economic cuts here in the UK have had a major effect on our decision. Basically everyone we know, who is not tied to the UK because of family or so, is currently packing up and fleeing this island.

And no.. none of us speaks Mandarin - yet. Of course I at least intend to learn as much basic Mandarin as possible. Hello, goodbye, please, thank you, numbers, asking for your way etc...
I already emptied Amazon's bookshelves about working and living in China, customs, dos and don'ts etc... :D

@estrellita: How funny. I didn't notice this ad until just now. ;) How bizarre.

Anyhow.. it's still quite some time left.. so, we'll see... I'll keep you updated.

@ Lara, remember to make sure the engagement ring is a scratch-free diamond that cost the potential husband at least 3 months salary! Otherwise you need to throw a fit in the office and complain to your colleagues. ;)
#152VerfasserJools (432226) 11 Nov 10, 16:55
Kommentar
Ich drücke dir ganz fest die Daumen, Jools.
#153VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 11 Nov 10, 17:18
Kommentar
Wow, Jools, that's some news!
I wish you all the best, and I'm potimistic (*g*) that you will get along very well! :-))

As to the Ehemann sentence, I support harambee: I think ich sollte mir langsam einen Ehemann finden is wrong, it should be ich sollte mir langsam einen Ehemann suchen / zulegen or ich sollte langsam einen Ehemann finden.
#154Verfasserdragonfly70 (672923) 11 Nov 10, 17:31
Kommentar
'find me sth.' is a very seductive false friend, I fear. It's so close to finden but sometimes so far away and difficult to find like good husbands - as I am on the market no longer ;-((

But zulegen sounds very sophisticated, doesn't it?
#155Verfassermanni3 (305129) 11 Nov 10, 18:56
Kommentar
Fantastisch, Jools! Ich wünsche Dir alles Gute und drücke auch die Daumen. Wir werden alle ganz begeistert von Deinen Abenteuern in China lesen.

Heute und morgen haben wir keine Schule. (Heute ist Veteranentag und morgen ist Budgetbeschränkungstag.) Das Wetter ist schön, die Sonne scheint, es ist wärmer geworden. Ich sitze draußen und korrigiere Schülerarbeiten. Muss mal sehen, wie viele wirklich korrigiert werden. :-p

Wir versuchen immer noch Melindas Leichnam von der Behörde zu bekommen.
#156VerfasserRobert -- US (328606) 11 Nov 10, 19:10
Kommentar
Jools:
Your China plans sound very interesting indeed, when are you going to leave?

Phillipp:
Schönen Tag, cookie!
Thanks! It couldn't have been better.
When I picked up my son from the after school care centre, the care worker showed me crumblercito's folder, where all his voluntary homework is kept. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw the amount. As a first-former he even did second form maths exercises voluntarily.
Back home I found him under his desk, writing. When I asked why he wasn't AT his desk he answered: 'My desk is too full with sheets and additionally, it's most comfortable down here.'
He went on with his business and when I reentered his room, he was working in the middle of the carpet with loads of sheets spread around him. I should have taken a pic, but he's fast asleep now.

Robert:
Hang in there!
#157Verfassercookie crumbler (484354) 11 Nov 10, 20:10
Kommentar
Gut zu hören, cookie. Ja, als Erwachsene vergessen wir (ich wenigstens) zu oft wie bequem das Sitzen, Lesen, Liegen auf dem Boden sein kann! Schön, dass dein Sohn so motiviert ist -- solange er nicht nur arbeitet. ;-) Hier eine typisch englische Nachspeise für euch: ;-)

Rhabarber
.. .. . .
... .. ...
Rhabarber
.. .. . .
... .. ...
Rhabarber
.. .. . .
... .. ...

Ja, Robert: Es ist so wichtig, dass man von geliebten Menschen würdevoll Abschied nimmt, für sich, aber auch für den Verstorbenen. Bei Opfern von traumatischen Ereignissen wie Verkehrsunfällen ist dies besonders der Fall (sagt eine Bekannte, die viel damit zu tun gehabt hat in ihrem Leben).

Jools, Chinesisch ist einfach (naja, gut, ich meine, nicht so verdammt schwierig), lass dich von gegenteiligen Behauptungen nicht beirren! ;-)

*edit*

2 Korrektürchen für cc: "too full with sheets" ==> too full with sheets of paper [sonst denkt man evtl. "Bettlaken"]; "and additionally" ==> and besides wäre besser.
#158VerfasserPhillipp11 Nov 10, 21:06
Kommentar
Rhabarber ... ... und Apfel ... ... Lecker!

Jools: Ich freue mich, dass du deiner jetzigen Tätigkeit nicht mehr lange nachgehen musst, obwohl ich deine Berichte aus der verrückten Arbeitswelt vermissen werde. China wird bestimmt ein großes Abenteuer darstellen. Ich wünsche dir alles Gute dabei. (Bin auch ein bisschen neidisch. ;-))
#159VerfasserSD3 (451227) 11 Nov 10, 23:29
Kommentar
Sounds like a real adventure, Jools!
I do hope you have access to Leo there, I'd really miss you if not!

Some snails may remember the author Rudolph Delson who is also the son of a former snail.
I got news that he is publishing another book (after Maynard & Jennica a few years ago, which some of us have read).

Here's the link to his lovely website (which will certainly delight manni with all its hidden links...):

http://www.rudolphdelson.com/

#160VerfasserGoldammer (428405) 12 Nov 10, 07:13
Kommentar
Today I learned from my local newspaper that our Wachtelkönig is not alone:
http://www.volksstimme.de/vsm/nachrichten/sac...
#161Verfasserharambee (91833) 12 Nov 10, 10:17
Kommentar
*suddenly craving rhubarb cake - making shopping note*

I like the phrase "sich einen Ehemann zulegen" very much. With a pinch of salt of course. As in "sich einen Hund zulegen". Hihi. Reminds me of Loriot.

@SD3: Of course I won't stop entertaining you with funny stories. I am sure there are other strange and frustrating events to come. :)
For the last few weeks I have only been arguing with a lawyer, who wants me to give him information about all his clients, which I can't do, because I don't know who his clients are, because he won't give me a complete list of his clients. *sigh*
I don't think I'll miss any of that...

@Robert: I hope you'll get through this soon. I bet Melinda was very happy to have such a great friend like you.

One question though: what is "Budgetbeschränkungstag"???

@cookie: Your son reminds me of me. My desk always looked like a bomb had exploded on it (and still does :( ) so I also did most of my homework on the floor. It really was quite comfortable. (The exploded-desk-habit is actually inherited. My father's desk has always been the same.)
Oh, and we are planning to leave next spring. Around March or April. The hubby wants to finish is freelance project first and I my English, German and Chinese courses ;)

*and before I forget: doing the TGIF dance - ok.. time to start working...*
#162VerfasserJools (432226) 12 Nov 10, 11:27
Kommentar
Jools, du darfst natürlich deinen Rhabarberkuchen haben, aber ich vermute, dass es Phillipp um rhubarb crumble (.. .. ...) ging. ;-)
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=img...

Seit wann lernst du Chinesisch? Erst seit Neuestem oder hast du schon Vorkenntnisse?

Wachtelkönig auf der ersten Seite der Zeitung? Toll!
#163VerfasserSD3 (451227) 12 Nov 10, 12:29
Kommentar
Ach, e e e e endlich eine, die mich versteht ;-) *seufz*
#164VerfasserPhillipp12 Nov 10, 12:34
Kommentar
Ich bin immer für dich da, Phillipp, wenn cookie crumbler gerade nicht Zeit hat! *g*
#165VerfasserSD3 (451227) 12 Nov 10, 12:40
Kommentar
Tja, das ist ein Angebot :-) Och ist das Leben schön :-)
#166VerfasserPhillipp12 Nov 10, 12:44
Kommentar
I'd take a piece of rhubarb crumble as well ;)
Doesn't crumble fall into the "cake" category? I know it's different from a "Streuselkuchen".. but still... Or is crumble a pudding category of its own?

Hmpf.. now I am hungry...
Luckily, tomorrow is saturday, meaning, my street will be closed for the weekly market.
And on this market they sell all kinds of eatible goodnesses. From real (organic) bread, over the most delicious (organic) cakes, to local farmer's produce like veg, fruit and sausages. (Nothing beats the local home-made (? well local farm-made) ostrich salami! Mjamm mjamm *drool*) and all sorts of fresh hot spicy (organic) foods to eat right there.

I don't know any Chinese yet. Literally nothing. Not even "Hello" and "Goodbye", but I want to start learning something after Christmas. At least the general basics you need to get around in a foreign country.
#167VerfasserJools (432226) 12 Nov 10, 12:53
Kommentar
Phillipp, I also got the "rhubarb crumble" reference! So there's more than one person here who understands you.

Talking about cakes, I bought this in an online shop, and today it was delivered: http://www.shoppingpoint24.com/images/produkt... Now I'll be able to bake books! I only have to practice writing short stories with food colouring (or form letters from chocolate sprinkles?).
#168Verfasserwi-chan (390817) 12 Nov 10, 13:06
Kommentar
Book cakes? How cool is that???
#169VerfasserJools (432226) 12 Nov 10, 13:14
Kommentar
35158? Wessen Registrierungsnummer ist denn die, wi-chan?
#170VerfasserSD3 (451227) 12 Nov 10, 13:38
Kommentar
How should I know, SD3? I don't see that number anywhere. Where did you find it? Sounds like a German postcode to me.

Isn't it, Jools? I also like the idea very much. Maybe I'll try it this weekend.

Edit: Ah, now I see it, on the picture I linked! That's just a picture I found via Google picture search. And I think it says 3515 g, the newborn LEO's weight. A healthy boy, obviously.
#171Verfasserwi-chan (390817) 12 Nov 10, 13:45
Kommentar
Zu viele Links die ich auf der Arbeit nicht anklicken kann *schniiiieeeffff*

Ich finde Rhabarber ek-el-ig. Bin ich die einzige??
#172VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 12 Nov 10, 13:52
Kommentar
Poor Lara. I'd hand you a tissue, but I know you always have plenty, so this is probably not necessary.

The linked picture shows a book baking mould, for baking, as I said, cakes in the shape of open books. And the "example cake" says

Leo
3515 g

on its open pages.

I don't like rhubarb too much, either. Not disgusting, but I would not go out and buy any.
#173Verfasserwi-chan (390817) 12 Nov 10, 13:58
Kommentar
I have just discovered a wonderful-wonderful book. I recently saw it in the bookstore (dem dangerösen in RT, Amy-MiMi!!) in German and then got myself a copy in English.

Reif Larsen: The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet
(in German: Die Karte meiner Träume)

It's about a twelve year old boy living on a farm in Montana with his quite taciturn farmer dad, his mom who is an entomologist, and his older sister - quite a crazy lot, that family. He is a genial cartographer who gets invited by the Smithsonian in Washington who have no idea that he's just 12 years old. The book is written in the first person, and the narrator illustrates his story with diagrams, little illustrations, side notes, extra stories etc. which all appear on the side of the text. I do love illustrated books, anyway, and also it is just so incredibly funny, at the same time touching. I haven't got further than page 37, but I already love it very much. Might really become a favorite book.

I understand that this particular cake baking form was an absolute must for you, wi-chan!! :-D

#174VerfasserGoldammer (428405) 12 Nov 10, 14:03
Kommentar
Hi snails!

I'm very busy at the moment but have nothing interesting to tell you ... Just a few comments so you see I'm still present here somehow ...

Jools: Your plans sound very exciting and I hope everything will turn out for you the way you want it to! For me, China would be just too different to even consider living there.

Robert: I feel with you.

I like rhubarb, but I'ver never had rhubarb crumble so far, I'll have to try.

cookie, I used to do my homework on the sofa, which was even more comfortabel than the floor ... my desk was also always full of stuff, and now that I don't really have a desk anymore - just a table with my computer on it and two small cabinets - I have to put most of it on the floor around me ...

#175Verfasseratalante (480508) 12 Nov 10, 14:45
Kommentar
Darf ich mich wieder hineinwagen?
Ich war ziemlich lange "abwesend", obwohl einige sind informierter als andere ;-)
Die Uni nimmt ziemlich viel Zeit in Anspruch und kaum hatte ich angefangen, bin ich irgendwie fast am Ende. Ich dachte, ich würde noch Jahren damit beschäftigt sein, aber unter Umständen wäre ich nächstes Jahr "scheinfrei" (obwohl das bedeutet nicht, dass ich fertig wäre...das Ende könnte ich schon länger hinausschieben ;-)). In diesem Semester haben wir viele neue Dozenten, die sehr sympathisch sind.
Letzte Woche in einer Vorlesung diskutierte ich die Benutzung eines Wortes mit der Professorin und diese Diskussion führte zu einem Emailaustausch. Heute hatten wir einen Kaffee zusammen getrunken und diskutierten zwei hochinteressante Projekte, wo ich an der Entstehung von DVDs für die Schule und an der Übersetzung eines Fachbuches beteiligt wäre. Noch ist nichts entschieden aber ich habe das Gefühl unheimlich viel Glück zu haben, überhaupt die Möglichkeit auf solche Projekte zu bekommen!
#176Verfassersuziq (315879) 12 Nov 10, 14:59
Kommentar
Hi suzi, we've already missed you. :)

That sounds like an amazing project and opportunity. Well done! :)
I keep all my fingers crossed and thumbs pressed for you.
#177VerfasserJools (432226) 12 Nov 10, 15:02
Kommentar
Hi suziq, small correction for you:
"... ich würde noch Jahre damit beschäftigt sein ..."

@ Jools:
Wouldn't it be necessary to know where in China you will go before starting to learn the language? As far as I know there are different chinese languages that have not too much in common, so it really would be a pity to learn the wrong one. Or are all places you possibly could go to situated in the same linguistic area?
#178VerfasserSachs (638558) 12 Nov 10, 15:16
Kommentar
@Sachs: I was told that you can get along with Standard Mandarin everywhere, because it is the official language of China and Singapore. Especially in either Beijing or Shanghai, which are our preferred destinations. In Shanghai, however, they also speak "Wu". But AFAIK Wu has no official status.
#179VerfasserJools (432226) 12 Nov 10, 15:36
Kommentar
Sachs, Mandarin is sort of a standardized Chinese and it is understood everywhere in China. Ok, if you go to local markets in Guangdong province(even in the capital Guangzhou), Guangxi province or some other areas not too far from Hong Kong you will meet people who only speak Cantonese and no Mandarin. Even taxi drivers in these areas sometimes do not speak Mandarin. But even if Jools decides to go to Guangzhou she would probably want to learn Mandarin instead of Cantonese. Firstly, because Mandarin will also be understood by many people in Guangzhou and will maybe be the official language for her job, secondly because Cantonese is more difficult to learn for Westerners (not only four different tones but seven or even nine) and thirdly because Cantonese will not help her at all in other areas of China. Good news is that written language is identical in Mandarin and Cantonese.

Edit: Oh, I had not seen Jools answer when I sent my posting. In Shanghai Mandarin should be understood almost everywhere.
#180Verfasserharambee (91833) 12 Nov 10, 15:42
Kommentar
Still, I think you should learn Wu, Jools. Just because of the sound of that name. Imagine being able to say "Yes, I do speak Wu." Sounds great. (I almost talked myself into learning it ...)

All the best for your new start in China, sounds really exciting!
#181Verfasserwi-chan (390817) 12 Nov 10, 15:45
Kommentar
Thank you harambee. I didn't know that about Guangdong and Cantonese. :)

And I agree, a language called "Wu" as such sounds really cool. According to Wiki it's a dialect and regarded as very prestitigous.
How cool would it be for you to go somewhere and say: "Hi, my name is wi and I speak Wu." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Gosh, I am so looking forward to this... :D
#182VerfasserJools (432226) 12 Nov 10, 15:54
Kommentar
Of course this is a matter of personal taste but I would advise against Guangzhou anyway. Big Chinese cities tend to be hectic and chaotic, but from my personal experience Guangzhou is the most hectic of all ;-)
#183Verfasserharambee (91833) 12 Nov 10, 15:58
Kommentar
Hi, my name is wi and I speak Wu. Hilarious! Should I ever stumble across Wu language courses somewhere near me, I'll certainly at least have a closer look.
#184Verfasserwi-chan (390817) 12 Nov 10, 17:15
Kommentar
Who is the leader of China?
Hu is the leader of China.

I think, you all know this.
#185Verfasserbluesky (236159) 12 Nov 10, 17:43
Kommentar
Yes, bluesky, Kofi?
#186Verfasserharambee (91833) 12 Nov 10, 17:44
Kommentar
Good luck, Jools! I envy you and hope to read in-depth accounts of what's happening to you.
#187Verfasserpenguin (236245) 12 Nov 10, 17:45
Kommentar
@Jools - Ich habe es gerade erst richtig wahrgenommen, dass du auswandern willst. Das hört sich wirklich abenteuerlich an. Ich denke, dein Englisch ist auf jeden Fall gut genug, dass du es unterrichten könntest. Natürlich weiß ich nicht, wie dein Akzent ist, aber er ist bestimmt gut!
#188Verfassersuziq (315879) 12 Nov 10, 18:04
Kommentar

*wavingandmunchingrhubarb...rhubarb...rhubarb*
#189Verfassercookie crumbler (484354) 12 Nov 10, 18:43
Kommentar
TGIF!!! Noch 2,5 Stunden.... und dann nur noch eine Woche bis ich eine Woche lang "arbeitsfrei" bin :o)
#190VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 12 Nov 10, 18:56
Kommentar
Hi Jools,
Alles hört sich immer abenteuerlicher an.

"Budgetbeschränkungstag" (auf English "Budget Reduction Day"): Da Kalifornien zur Zeit kein Geld hat (muss halt von der Bundesregierung in Washington DC Geld für die Arbeitsunfallversicherung ausleihen), reduzieren die meisten Schulbezirke das Schuljahr und geben den Schülern und der Lehrkraft "schulfreie Tage". Die Schüler freuen sich riesig darauf (natürlich), aber für die Lehrkraft ist das Zwangsurlaub, der mit einer Erniedrigung des Lohns verbunden ist. Mein Schulbezirk ist sowieso finanziell konservativ, und wir haben dieses Jahr vier "Budgetbeschränkungstage". Andere Bezirke in der Nähe haben bis zu acht - und hatten schon letztes Jahr welche. Das bedeutet einen Geldverlust von 2,5%, und mein Bezirk ist relativ gut daran (wie gesagt, finanziell konservativ). Wenigstens haben sie bis jetzt niemanden entlassen müssen.

Vor einem Jahr war es die Rede, dass wir das Schuljahr verlängern müssten, um mit anderen Ländern konkurrenzfähig zu sein. Jetzt verkürzen wir das Schuljahr, haben größere Klassen (Dieses Jahr habe ich von 31 bis 43 Schüler pro Klasse), und trotzdem immer höhere Ergebnisse an diesen "Standardized Tests" schaffen (die nachweislich die Qualität des Unterrichts verschlimmern, denn je mehr man "teaches to the test", desto mehr lehrt man auf die niedrigsten Denkniveaus. Das geistige Niveau vom Unterricht wird immer mehr versenkt, und das alles im Namen der Verantwortlichkeit. Das "Race to the Top" ist in der Tat ein "Race to the Bottom", und die Leute in Washington verstehen das nicht.

Naja, ich schließe die Tür und mache weiter, denn im Lehrfach Deutsch gibt es keine pflichtmäßigen Standardtests (ist ja sowieso Wahlfach). Bitte, versteht mich nicht falsch: ich liebe meine Karriere und meine Stelle.
#191VerfasserRobert -- US (328606) 12 Nov 10, 22:38
Kommentar
Hi dearies!

You haven't heard from me for a while! Due to health problems, I tend to be rattled at night so that I'm just able to consume books or tv. At the same time I'm grumpy for being pooped. In the long run I will have to cope with becoming handicapped and getting myself organised. That's why I am thinking about how I'm going to spend the rest of my life. So far my plans haven't matured yet, but I will keep you informed!

@Robert: I am very sorry for the loss you experienced. Therefore I am more than slightly embarrassed to turn your attention to a few corrections:

reduzieren die meisten Schulbezirke das Schuljahr und geben den Schülern und der Lehrkraft "schulfreie Tage".
This is fine, but I would have written:
verkürzen die meisten Schulbezirke das Schuljahr und schenken den Schülern und der Lehrkraft "schulfreie Tage".

Die Schüler freuen sich riesig darauf (natürlich), aber für die Lehrkraft ist das Zwangsurlaub, der mit einer Erniedrigung des Lohns verbunden ist.
Die Schüler freuen sich natürlich darüber,aber für die Lehrkraft ist das Zwangsurlaub, der mit einer Gehaltskürzung verbunden ist.
Lehrer beziehen Gehälter, man spricht auch von Beamtenbezügen. Erniedrung makes me think of humiliation.

Das bedeutet einen Geldverlust von 2,5%.... I'd say: Gehaltskürzung

Vor einem Jahr war es die Rede, dass wir das Schuljahr verlängern müssten, um mit anderen Ländern konkurrenzfähig zu sein
Vor einem Jahr war die Rede davon, dass wir das Schuljahr verlängern müssten, um mit anderen Ländern konkurrenzfähig sein zu können.Modal verbs make sentences sound more German.

Jetzt verkürzen wir das Schuljahr, haben größere Klassen (Dieses Jahr habe ich von 31 bis 43 Schüler pro Klasse), und trotzdem immer höhere Ergebnisse an diesen "Standardized Tests" schaffen
Jetzt verkürzen wir das Schuljahr, haben größere Klassen (Dieses Jahr habe ich von 31 bis 43 Schüler pro Klasse), und trotzdem sollen wir immer bessere Ergebnisse bei diesen "Standardized Tests" erzielen.

die nachweislich die Qualität des Unterrichts verschlimmern, denn je mehr man "teaches to the test", desto mehr lehrt man auf die niedrigsten Denkniveaus
die nachweislich die Qualität des Unterrichts senken, denn je mehr man "teaches to the test", desto niedriger wird das Niveau/ umso mehr leidet das Niveau. Mein Vorschlag ist nicht das Gelbe vom Ei.

Das geistige Niveau vom Unterricht wird immer mehr versenkt, und das alles im Namen der Verantwortlichkeit.
This reminds me of "Schiffe versenken", a game students play when they are extremely bored in class: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schiffe_versenken
Das geistige Niveau des Unterrichs sinkt immer mehr, und das alles im Namen der Verantwortlichkeit. Verstehe ich nicht.

By the way, I devoured "Im Schatten des Windes", but was disappointed by the author's most recent novel that I put away after some 200 pages.

@Jools: I admire your courage and envy you. Maybe you've heard of Francois Cheng.
http://www.dtv.de/autoren/francois_cheng_1350... I liked his novel very much.

@wi-chan: thanks a lot for the new house!

I need some breakfast now, but I will come back and tell you what I think of Christopher Brookmyre.

Edit:
As for Brookmyre, here my two cents. Of the three novels I read I liked "Quite Ugly One Morning" best, though I wouldn't call it a breathcatching page-turner.
@Harambee: If you thought that some parts on British health care were long-winded, I wouldn't be surprised, if you got bored stiff by other novels. "Boiling A Frog" is about Scottisch politics and about 200 pages too long, but it's just bearable in comparison to "A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away". In this novel Brookmyre tries to explain by a detailed biography how someone becomes a terrorist. In the end I felt like throttling the author, destroying all his books.

#192Verfasserkisan (466721) 13 Nov 10, 10:21
Kommentar
Due to some arcane reasons I will put the snail thread on top of the list. Nothing else to say.
#193VerfasserSelima (107) 13 Nov 10, 15:03
Kommentar
Hallo Schnecken!

Selima, wie war es denn in Arkanien?
For some arcane reason , wenn der Grund nicht besonders wichtig ist, klingt idiomatischer, sonst würde ich sagen: Due to a number of arcane reasons ..., aber damit macht man auf die Gründe aufmerksam, und dann wird möglicherweise nachgehakt.

Schön dich wieder zu sehen, kisan. Ich habe dich vermisst. Es tut mir sehr leid, dass du dich mit solchen Problemen befassen musst. Das ist bestimmt sehr anstrengend.

I felt like throttling the author, destroying all his books.
Aber im Ernst, kisan, was hast du wirklich davon gehalten? *g*
(Auf Englisch sagt man z.B.: Don't hold back! Tell us what you really think! Wie kann man das auf Deutsch besser ausdrücken?)
Modal verbs make sentences sound more German. Das muss ich mir merken.
grumpy for being pooped:
Ich würde sagen: grumpy because I'm pooped (ich schlafe schlecht, folglich bin ich ständig müde) oder grumpy about being pooped (es ärgert mich, dass ich ständig müde bin)
#194VerfasserSD3 (451227) 13 Nov 10, 15:24
Kommentar
SD3, Arcania was better than I suspected. It was warm and sunny and I had nice company and interesting work to do. So - yes. Arcania surprised me ;-)

Re 'the arcane reasons': it was one reason and the reason was not very important. I only wanted to change the order of threads - understandable? ;-)

Auf Englisch sagt man z.B.: Don't hold back! Tell us what you really think! Wie kann man das auf Deutsch besser ausdrücken?

In German I would say: Halt Dich nicht zurück/nur keine Scheu/halt nicht hinter Berg damit/nur raus damit! Sag uns, was Du wirklich denkst!
#195VerfasserSelima (107) 13 Nov 10, 15:47
Kommentar
Don't hold back! Tell us what you really think! Wie kann man das auf Deutsch besser ausdrücken?

Nur raus mit der Sprache! Heraus damit! Erzähl uns mehr!
#196VerfasserCarullus (670120) 13 Nov 10, 16:28
Kommentar
@ kisan 192: Modal verbs make sentences sound more German. - I have never noticed that. Interesting idea, I will observe the phenomenon. For the moment I just ask - with cautious wariness: Could it be you changed the word with Modalpartikeln?

#197Verfassermanni3 (305129) 13 Nov 10, 16:41
Kommentar
Korrektürchen für manni: "Could it be you changed the word with" ==> "Could it be you're confusing the word with" wäre besser.
#198VerfasserPhillipp13 Nov 10, 16:45
Kommentar
War manni3s Beitrag jetzt mit Absicht mit vielen Modalverben geschrieben?

Statt could hätte ich "Is it possible.." oder einfach "Did you confuse modal verbs with modal particles..?" gesagt.
#199VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 13 Nov 10, 17:00
Kommentar
Lara, I just wanted to formulate very charily! I didn't dare to use this very German direct and Un-American question "Did you confuse" ;-)
It sounded too harsh in my amicable ears, you know?
Evidently you have spent enough of time in Germany to forget your good American manners ;-))

(And I hope you saw all these friendly-ironical smileys)
#200Verfassermanni3 (305129) 13 Nov 10, 17:15
Kommentar
kisan, das tut mir alles sehr leid. Aber es ist schön, dich wieder zu lesen.

Ich wünschte, ich könnte dir ein magisches Einschlafbuch schenken. Wenn Brookmyre nicht gefällt, wären Goethes Memoiren vielleicht ein guter Kandidat. Einige Stellen sind interessant. Zum Beispiel wollte er als Junge Jiddisch lernen (neben Französisch, Englisch, Latein, Griechisch und ein bisschen Italienisch) und hat stattdessen Privatunterricht in Hebräisch genommen, weil er nicht preisgeben wollte, dass er sich eigentlich für 'Jüdendeutsch' interessiert. Aber im Augenblick erzählt er die ganze Geschichte des Alten Testaments wieder. Ich will ihn fragen: Johann, sind diese Memoiren eigentlich von dir oder von Abraham?
#201Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 13 Nov 10, 19:25
Kommentar
Dear kisan,

I have missed you as well. I admire you for not giving in and wish you a lot of strength!
#202Verfassercookie crumbler (484354) 14 Nov 10, 08:53
Kommentar
@kisan
I am sorry to hear about your health problems. I don't know what to say, really, only that I wish you all the strength you need to cope.

I'd like to add another tiny correcturito for Robert:

Dieses Jahr habe ich (von) 31 bis 43 Schüler pro Klasse
or: zwischen 31 und 43 Schüler pro Klasse

(and that sounds really an awful lot to me! My goodness, 40 kids in a class - you can't do much more than holding a lecture, can you?)
#203VerfasserGoldammer (428405) 14 Nov 10, 10:52
Kommentar
Guten Abend, guten Morgen, Schnecken!
Ich betreibe sxxpe-Werbung! So ein toller Service wird da geboten! Meinen Sohn habe ich endlich mal zu Hause erwischt. Er sieht gut aus - diesmal mit Bart (bei ihm weiß man nie, was zu erwarten ist *g*).

Entsprechend aufgemuntert, verteile ich ein paar winzige Korrekturitos:

#203: you can't do much more than hold(ing) a lecture
#200: spent enough (of) time oder enough of your time
sounded too harsh to (in) my amicable ears Amicable ist hier etwas ungewöhnlich. Ich bin mir aber nicht sicher, was du damit sagen wolltest - my friendly ears, my well-disposed ears? Beides auch etwas ungewöhnlich, aber vielleicht hattest du ja etwas Außergewöhnliches im Sinne.
#204VerfasserSD3 (451227) 15 Nov 10, 01:02
Kommentar
Good evening, SD3.
Yes, this skyping business works very well. But sometimes I set myself as "offline" in the evening, when I am tired and leerhirnig, to avoid getting trapped in longish chat conversations with two Colombian friends. My father keeps complaining that I don't have a camera. The little laptop does, but lately it doesn't seem to work. At least no image is transmitted. I just closed the whole program, to try to watch the Tatort on the ARD Mediathek. Sometimes either my old laptop or the connection is too slow to get the good-resolution version to see in full-screen mode.

As for Carlos Ruiz Zafón's books:
I really liked "La sombra del viento". But, as kisan, I found "El juego del ángel" very disappointing. Almost equally well written as the "shadow", but with no substance in the story, and an incredibly stupid ending.

kisan,
I wish you all the best.
#205VerfasserWachtelkönig (396690) 15 Nov 10, 01:42
Kommentar
Hallo Wachtelkönig!
Natürlich beschwert sich dein Vater. Da es jetzt die Möglichkeit gibt, wollen wir unsere - auch erwachsenen - Kinder doch sehen. ;-)
Ich wusste gar nicht, dass man sich als "offline" einstellen kann. Wie macht man das?
#206VerfasserSD3 (451227) 15 Nov 10, 02:51
Kommentar
Well, they'll see me at Christmas, if there won't be problems to leave the country. Don't want to waste another day with another stupid trip to Uruguay for another three months of "residencia precaria". This unfortunate interrelation of local and American bureaucracy is too infantile and idiotic, and simply not tolerable. Recently I sent the FBI paper (result of standard fingerprint submission) for the second time back to the U.S. First it took almost three months to come. Then they didn't accept it here without authentificaction. The American embassy said it had to be sent to the U.S. Department of State in Washington to be authenticated, from where it came back after many weeks, unauthentificated because of lack of signature. If the stupid paper makes it back here for the third time, the one-line statement with all the rest will have to be translated into Spanish. And then the goddam paper shufflers probably will invent another unavailable document, perhaps a Colombian or Ecuadorian criminal record, or a Chinese translation along with Japanese authentication of the birth certificate. In the pretty good Tatort episode it was sort of a sub-theme, how very preposterous and potentially life-threatening all this migration paperwork is. Good night!

[In the German version in menu bar "Datei" > first item "Mein Onlinestatus"]
#207VerfasserWachtelkönig (396690) 15 Nov 10, 03:58
Kommentar
So the Tatort was good?
I would have liked to see it, but we had our little "end of church year" concert last night. Was very nice with mainly romantic choir and organ music, Mendelssohn, Reger etc., and also a Schütz.
I realized that in two weeks time, we have the first Advent Sunday....I don't at all feel Christmassy or Adventy yet. (word order???) I'll have to give thought to that in order to avoid Christmas stress which is something I absolutely hate, because it is so contradictory to the real thing.

My kids, nephews and nieces also use that offline-faking button quite a lot when they don't want to be pestered by their "ancestors" (= "Altvorderen" as they put it). I find it legitimate. If I have something important to say, I write it or call them all the same, and if they agree that it's important, they will react. Good solution.
#208VerfasserGoldammer (428405) 15 Nov 10, 07:49
Kommentar
Good Monday morning,

@kisan: I also wish you all the best. I will check out Francois Cheng. :) Thank you.

@Robert: Thank you for the explanation about Budget Reduction Day. I keep forgetting that US-teachers are not paid during holidays or any other days off. At the same time I find it bizarre to give everyone days off to save money. In Germany everyone (well, mostly parents) are complaining that their children have too many days off already. How bizarre...

@Skype: I am also invisible at Skype most of the time. Mainly because I don't want to be bothered by former colleagues or my former boss. All my friends know that I am just invisible though. But I have to say I find it odd to use my camera with Skype, that's why I never use it. I find videocommunication rather uncomfortable, because I don't like being watched when I am on the phone...
#209VerfasserJools (432226) 15 Nov 10, 11:47
Kommentar
@kisan: Hang in there! (Halte durch?)

Skype ist was feines. Ich habe sogar Skype Mobile auf dem Handy. Es versteht nur leider keiner, dass ich gleichzeitig unterwegs bin und per Skype chatten kann. (Was machst Du zu Hause? Muss du nicht arbeiten? - Tja, ich BIN arbeiten aber wie ich jetzt zum 100. Mal sage: Skype habe ich auch auf'm Handy)
Skype loggt micht immer automatisch ein, sobald ich mein Handy anschalte -- und ich musste letztens die Default-Einstellung auf "Away" setzen, damit ich nicht um 4 Uhr Anrufe bekomme. (*KLINGEL* -Hallo? -Du bist noch wach? Es ist 4 Uhr morgens, is alles OK? -Vor 30 Sekunden war ich nicht wach, wie ich jetzt zum 1000. Mal sage...)
#210VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 15 Nov 10, 17:13
Kommentar
Today it was my turn to wait for craftsmen but they were only five minutes late in the morning, thus I have no reason for complaints :-) Actually, my living room was damaged by water this spring. Above the living room is a roof deck belonging to another appartment. The drainpipe for that roof deck had a crack (???) and thus after some heavy rain the water found its own way downwards. Unfortunately, this way crossed my living room. All this happened last winter and in spring they have repaired the drainpipe. Finally, my room gets new wall paper and paint. Yesterday I had to clear the living room as much as possible. That took much longer than expected.

Phew, when I try to write such descriptions of everyday life, I always realise how many simple words I have to look up (craftsman, roof deck, drainpipe). Most of these words I could have known but I had simply forgotten them :-)

#211Verfasserharambee (91833) 15 Nov 10, 17:27
Kommentar
Ja, mir fehlen auch immer Wörter für ganz alltägliche Dinge. Das lernen wohl am besten Austauschschüler, die in einem fremden Haushalt wohnen.

Ich weiß nicht genau, wie ich ein 'roof deck' zu vorstellen habe. So eine balkonähnliche Holzterrasse, aber auf deinem Dach? Hast du wenigstens selbst eine und kannst darauf Sterne gucken?

Sogar wir haben Skype mal ausprobiert. Meine Mom hat so eine Kamera auf (in?) ihrem Notebook-Laptop und wir haben zufälligerweise auch nach Kolumbien videotelefoniert. Man kann sogar mit dem Gerät ein bisschen herumlaufen (so man drahtlos angeschlossen ist) und eine Art Video-Führung geben. So mal zur Abwechslung (zuerst hatte ich Verwechslung geschrieben) hat es durchaus Spaß gemacht, aber ich wäre auch nicht gerne zu jeder Zeit (?) anrufbar.

#212Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 15 Nov 10, 17:40
Kommentar
Ich weiß nicht genau, wie ich ein 'roof deck' zu vorstellen habe. So eine balkonähnliche Holzterrasse, aber auf deinem Dach?

balkonähnliche Terrasse
: yes
auf dem Dach: yes
but no need for wood as building material

Is roof terrace a more common expression?

And a correcturito:
Ich weiß nicht genau, wie ich ein 'roof deck' zu vorstellen habe.
--> Ich weiß nicht genau, wie ich mir ein 'roof deck' vorzustellen habe.

And an answer:
No, my appartment does not have a roof terrace, only the topmost appartment has it. Instead I have a small balcony.
#213Verfasserharambee (91833) 15 Nov 10, 17:56
Kommentar
Oh, duh, danke. Jetzt weiß ich, wie ich mir die Dachterrasse oben von dir (aus? her?) vorzustellen habe.

Für mich impliziert 'deck' schon ein bisschen Holz, aber das kann in anderen Regionen anders sein, keine Ahnung. Ich selbst habe noch nie in einem hohen Wohnblock gelebt. Es hört sich so an, als wohnt dein Nachbar im Penthouse. Aber wenigstens hast du wohl fast so ein gutes Blick, nur einen Stock nach unten. (-:

Englisch: apartment (das andere P kannst du für PPParis aufbewahren)

Lara, wenigstens scheinen deine deutschen Freunde immer noch sehr gut auf dich aufzupassen -- zu welcher Stunde auch immer. (-:
#214Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 15 Nov 10, 18:12
Kommentar
@hm--us
...wie ich mir die Dachterrasse (oben von dir (aus? her?)) über deiner Wohnung vorzustellen habe...

Es hört sich so an, als wohnte dein Nachbar im Penthouse.
or:
...als würde dein Nachbar im Penthouse wohnen

("wohnte" in that sense (Konjunktiv) is not used very much in informal or spoken language)

..hast du wohl (fast so ein gutes Blick, nur einen Stock nach unten.) einen fast so guten Ausblick, nur einen Stock darunter or: ...einen Stock tiefer or
ein Stockwerk darunter / tiefer

#215VerfasserGoldammer (428405) 15 Nov 10, 18:34
Kommentar
I would write: Es hört sich so an, als wohne dein Nachbar im Penthouse. - too high, Goldammer?
#216Verfassermanni3 (305129) 15 Nov 10, 18:43
Kommentar
I never get it right with Konjunktiv I and II! Can you, grammatically speaking, use both, or was I clearly wrong in suggesting "wohnte" instead of "wohne"?

(...and if you or I said it, it would be
"Es heert sich so ã als dät dei Nôchber em Pennthaus wohna", wouldn't it? ;-) )
#217VerfasserGoldammer (428405) 15 Nov 10, 18:54
Kommentar
@ 217:
...als tätärätäte er wohnen... :-)

(In no time we'll all be singing Eine Muh, eine Mäh, eine Tätärätätä!)
#218Verfassercookie crumbler (484354) 15 Nov 10, 19:16
Kommentar
Not exactly wrong, Goldammer, but maybe, ehm, "less right"? The meaning is, as far as I understand it, slightly different.

Es hört sich so an, als wohnte der Nachbar im Penthouse - even though I know that is not the case (Irrealis, if I'm not mistaken)
... als wohne der Nachbar im Penthouse - but I do not know for sure, it's possible he does (Potentialis?)

And since hm -- us wanted to express a possibility here, I'd say (yes, I'd actually even say that, but I'm just weird that way) "wohne".

Please correct or complement what I have said, manni (and others), since I did not look it up anywhere and just used my linguistic "gut feeling"!
#219Verfasserwi-chan (390817) 15 Nov 10, 19:37
Kommentar
Dachterasse würde ich als "roof-top deck" bezeichnen. Heißt zumindest so, wenn man von einem typischen Philadelphia-Reihenhaus spricht. Aber Wohnblöcke mit ausgebauten Dachböden und entsprechenden Dachterassen sieht man hier nur selten. Bei den größeren Wohnblöcke gibt's oft Flachdächer -- die obserte Etage (bzw. Penthouse) hat keine schrägen Wände oder wenn's überhaupt Dachschräge gibt, dann wird die oberste Etage mit dem Dachboden kombiniert.
#220VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 15 Nov 10, 19:45
Kommentar
Der Nachbar scheint im Penthouse zu wohnen?
Der Nachbar wohnt anscheinend im Penthouse?
Der Nachbar wohnt im Penthouse, scheint's?
Der Nachbar wohnt wohl im Penthouse? Wird wohl im Penthouse wohnen?

Sorry, ich wollte nicht zu 'hoch' klingen, auch wenn es sich um ein Penthouse handelt. Aber ich verwende (anscheinend) sehr häufig 'seems' oder so was auf Englisch, und ich habe immer wieder Schwierigkeiten damit auf Deutsch. Vielleicht sind Deutschsprechende ihrer Sache einfach sicherer?

>>Eine Muh, eine Mäh, eine Tätärätätä

Ist das das deutsche Pendant zu Old MacDonald? Oder Miss Piggy im Cheerleader-Anzug?
#221Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 15 Nov 10, 19:51
Kommentar
Der Nachbar scheint im Penthouse zu wohnen? correct
Der Nachbar wohnt anscheinend im Penthouse? correct
Der Nachbar wohnt im Penthouse, scheint's? not wrong but unusual to my ears and eyes, I'd say "Der Nachbar wohnt im Penthouse, wie es scheint."
Der Nachbar wohnt wohl im Penthouse? correct
Der Nachbar wird wohl im Penthouse wohnen? Probably correct although I would not use it.

Eine Muh, eine Mäh, eine Tätärätätä
is a line from a "Christmas song" of Wolfgang Petry.
#222Verfasserharambee (91833) 15 Nov 10, 20:20
Kommentar
@harambee
I do enjoy the north-south cultural exchange bit in our language discussions!
In southern German, "scheint's" is often used as substitute for "anscheinend" or "wie es scheint".
I would, however, change hm--us' word order slightly:

Der Nachbar wohnt scheint's im Penthouse.
#223VerfasserGoldammer (428405) 15 Nov 10, 20:27
Kommentar
In southern German, "scheint's" is often used as substitute for "anscheinend" or "wie es scheint".

I had already suspected that but I wasn't sure :-) But you have to give me credit that I have not condemned it as absolutely wrong :-)
#224Verfasserharambee (91833) 15 Nov 10, 20:32
Kommentar
Ein paar 'türchen für harambee: " ... in the morning, thus I have no reason for complaints" ==> "so I have no reason for complaints" (od. m.E. besser "no reason to complain"); "had a crack (???) and thus after" ==> z.B. "had developed a crack, and so after ..."; "in spring they have repaired" ==> "in spring they repaired". Dein "Unfortunately, this way crossed my living room": sehr gewitzt. ;-)

Skype-savvy bin ich noch nicht, vielleicht im nächsten (oder übernächsten) Leben. Schön, dass du mit deinem Sohn endlich skypen konntest, SD3, freut mich für dich. Ist er immer noch in Cambridge?
#225VerfasserPhillipp15 Nov 10, 20:36
Kommentar
Thanks for the corrections, Phillipp :-)

In the meantime I really should have learned "in spring they repaired" When you ask me I know for sure LOL

A question about thus/so: Is thus nothing but wrong or is it "only" unusual in this context?
#226Verfasserharambee (91833) 15 Nov 10, 20:39
Kommentar
Ich hatte fast noch wegen dem "thus" gepostet (weil du es immer wieder verwendest).

Falsch ist es nicht, aber es wirkt in diesen Zusammenhängen (#211, aber fast immer im CC) nicht ungewöhnlich, sondern zu formell, Schriftenglisch halt; "so" ist natürlicher, gesprochenes Englisch. ;-)
#227VerfasserPhillipp15 Nov 10, 20:48
Kommentar
Thanks, Phillipp! I'm leaving (not on a jetplane but by tram) now, have a nice evening!
#228Verfasserharambee (91833) 15 Nov 10, 20:51
Kommentar
Have a nice ride!

*edit*

Öhm, hab einen schönen Ritt!
#229VerfasserPhillipp15 Nov 10, 20:52
Kommentar
"Aber ich verwende (anscheinend) sehr häufig 'seems' oder so was auf Englisch" Ich auch.

harambee ist weg? *6-Gang* Oh, Gott, wir hassen, zu sehen ihn gehen. Danke, harambee. Lieber Peter, Paul und Mary als Ohrwurm haben. Vor ein paar Tagen waren es Die Höhner.

*beschäftigt sei*
#230VerfasserAmy-MiMi (236989) 16 Nov 10, 01:17
Kommentar
Mein Skypekreis ist ausgesprochen winzig, weil ich bisher meinen Skypenamen nur ausgewählten Familienangehörigen (es stimmt gar nicht, dass man seine Verwandten nicht aussuchen kann *g*) und guten Freunden mitgeteilt habe. Arbeitskollegen kommen überhaupt nicht in Frage. Ich kann mir kaum etwas Schlimmeres vorstellen, als das unerwartete Erscheinen meines Chefs, wenn ich gerade beim Frühstücken bin. Meine Güte! Wo soll das alles enden?

Anders als Jools stört es mich überhaupt nicht, dass ich beim Skypen 'beobachtet' werde. Ich sehe mein Gegenüber auch - für mich ist das ja der Sinn der Sache.

Danke, Phillipp. Ja, er ist immer noch dort. Er muss ein Jahr ausharren, und dabei interessante Leute kennenlernen, seine Pubkulturkenntnisse vertiefen, Rad fahren, Ultimate-Frisbee spielen. Der arme! ;-)
#231VerfasserSD3 (451227) 16 Nov 10, 03:41
Kommentar
Peter, Paul and Mary? Or may be John Denver? I thought of Janis Joplin ;-)
#232Verfasserharambee (91833) 16 Nov 10, 09:35
Kommentar
Amy Aaaaahhh, how could De Höhner possibly make it all the way over to you? Poor thing! (For the record, I like Southern-German Fasnet a lot, but I won't go anywhere near anything related to rheinischen Karneval!)

Concerning the choice of Janis Joplin as an *6-gear* earwig, I'm all with harambee!

@cookie Eine Ruuuuhuuute, eine Tuuuuhute! :-)
#233VerfasserLore (236345) 16 Nov 10, 09:56
Kommentar
@SD3: Er muss ein Jahr ausharren, und dabei interessante Leute kennenlernen, seine Pubkulturkenntnisse vertiefen, Rad fahren, Ultimate-Frisbee spielen. Der arme! ;-)

And he must go punting on the Cam :)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cambridgeshire/out_about...
It's great fun, because you can also just rent a boat and try it yourself. I recommend a hot sunny day for that, as you might get wet ;)
#234VerfasserJools (432226) 16 Nov 10, 10:41
Kommentar
Hi folks,

a bit busy today, so just a small remark (that also will push our thread nearer to the top of the page for a little while).

I'd say it's "Der Arme!"
#235VerfasserSachs (638558) 16 Nov 10, 12:55
Kommentar
*hochschieb*

Moin... ich habe keine Lust heute auf der Arbeit zu sitzen, aber ich habe da wohl keine Wahl. Ich muss nur diese Woche schaffen, dann gibt's Urlaub. Ich bräuchte etwas Musik oder so, da es im Moment nicht viel zu tun gibt, aber irgendwie muss man die 8,5 Stunden durchhalten!
#236VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 16 Nov 10, 14:19
Kommentar
@Lara
Hang in there! (well, what else can you do?)

If you are bored, you could share with us what your holiday plans are....
#237VerfasserGoldammer (428405) 16 Nov 10, 14:24
Kommentar
Keine große Pläne. Ein Tag lang habe ich einige Arzttermine für die ich sonst je einen halben Urlaubstag hätte nehmen müssen. Nächsten Donnerstag ist dann Thanksgiving und meine Schwester kommt zum Besuch. Sie wird meine neue Wohnung zum ersten Mal sehen. Wir fahren dann am Black Friday entweder nach NYC oder Red Bank, NJ um einzukaufen und um die Kalorien vom Donnerstag abzuarbeiten :o)

Hauptsache, ich muss mich nicht vorm Computer hocken, oder um 7 Uhr auf die Arbeit ankommen um dann zu sehen, dass keiner die Kaffeemaschine am vorherigen Abend gespült hat, oder noch besser, dass niemand das Gebäude abgeschlossen hat.

Ich habe sechs neue Bücher und die dritte Staffel von The Tudors. Und Holz für den Kamin. Ach ja -- am Freitag kommt Harry Potter and the Deathy Hallows ins Kino. D.h.: Harry Potter Marathon!
#238VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 16 Nov 10, 14:49
Kommentar
@Lara: Do you want to help me dig out files from an unsorted archive? :D

But Goldammer is right, tell us about your holiday plans. Are you going away?

Btw is it only my impression, or is there not much going on on Leo at the moment? Even the Land und Leute seems to be asleep. Where is everybody?
#239VerfasserJools (432226) 16 Nov 10, 14:49
Kommentar
@Jools: Ordner ausgraben? Klingt wenigstens aktiv. Ich wäre dabei!

Und es stimmt, LEO schläft. Wir sollten uns ein interessantes Thema überlegen um Diskussion anzuregen. Es schwimmt seit einigen Wochen ein Thema in meinem Kopf herum, aber bei der Formulierung des Fadens verliere ich selbst Interesse an dem Thema ;o)
#240VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 16 Nov 10, 14:54
Kommentar
Topic of the day in my office is the offical announcement of William's and Kate's engagement. Big royal wedding will follow next year.

#241VerfasserJools (432226) 16 Nov 10, 15:24
Kommentar
Lara, you probably remembered Siehe auch: Crossover Chat 251 - #13

but it is "im Kopf herum schwirren" and not schwimmen

Do you want to tell us about the subject or are the thoughts not yet ripe?
#242Verfasserharambee (91833) 16 Nov 10, 15:31
Kommentar
Yeah, I see what you mean - no thread from o***e, no thread from k''e, what a boring day ! :-)
#243VerfasserSachs (638558) 16 Nov 10, 15:41
Kommentar
Eigentlich habe ich ganz bewusst herumschwimmen gewählt. Ich finde herumschwirren klingt als könne ich an sonst nichts denken, oder als würde meine Gedanken mich wirren (sagt man das so? As if my thoughts were troubling me). Dies ist nur ein Gedanke, der ab-und-zu auftaucht und dann wieder weg ist... aber naja.

Wie gesagt, ich verliere selbst immer Interesse, also ist nichts zum Diskutieren.

Jools, William und Kates Verlobung ist auch "Breaking News" bei CNN.... weil anscheiniend auf Erde nichts wichtigeres passiert...
#244VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 16 Nov 10, 15:48
Kommentar
My male colleagues all think that Kate is "reeeaaallyyyy hot".
*snore*
#245VerfasserJools (432226) 16 Nov 10, 15:57
Kommentar
Hello!

Since all the neurons are filled with liquid, and the thoughts are some sort of microelectronic activity, "schwimmen" might actually be slightly more adequate than "schrirren", which would require some air space. And swimming would be something slower and more subconscious.

Who is this Kate?
#246VerfasserWachtelkönig (396690) 16 Nov 10, 15:59
Kommentar
Kate Middleton, die Freundin von Prinz William.
Besonders hübsch finde ich sie ja nicht..
#247VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 16 Nov 10, 16:12
Kommentar
Ich fange einen neuen Beitrag an, weil Edith streikt.

Den Urlaub habe ich bitter nötig und ich muss etwas Dampf ablassen.
Ich weiß gar nicht wie ich den Tag noch aushalten soll.

Es gibt einen Kollege, der mit einer deutschen Frau verheiratet ist. Er hat also deutsche Grundkentnisse. Guten Tag, wie geht's, auf Wiedersehen, usw. Nach 10 Jahren in dieser Firma kann er auch einige technische Begriffe wiedererkennen. In unserer Datenbank gibt's oft Lücken, wo keine englische Übersetzungen vorhanden sind. Wenn ich keine Dokumente zum Übersetzen habe, verbringe ich die Zeit damit, diese Lücken zu finden und Übersetzungen einzugeben. Der Kollege, im Laufe seiner Arbeit, stoßt auch oft auf fehlenden Überseztungen und sagt mir Bescheid. Nur fühlt er sich auch dazu gezwungen, mir zu sagen, wie ich die Begriffe zu übersezten habe. Als müsse er mir beweisen, dass er auch Deutsch kann. "Antriebswelle -- we call those drive shafts" (ach nee, im Ernst? Wusste ich gar nicht. Mein langjähriger Aufenthalt in Deutschland und die dort gesammelten Erfahrungen in Maschinenbau haben mich da im Stich gelassen) oder "I'd do it myself, but I don't have editing rights to the database". Irgendwie fühle ich mich dadurch beleidigt, weil es ja schließlich mein Job ist, solche Sachen zu wissen. Es kommt mir vor, als würde er unterstellen, ich wäre hier nicht gebraucht oder als hätte ich nicht das notwendige Wissen.

An Tagen wie dieser braucht man die Mittagspause um sich Luft zu holen und quasi Mut für den Nachmittag zu finden. Es kam aber gerade eine Erinnerungsmail vom Management: Während der Mittagspause gibt's eine Mitarbeiterversammlung. Anwesenheit ist Pflicht. Wir sollen uns keine Sorge machen -- es werden Pizzas bestellt. *sichdieAugenverdreh* Ich persönlich halte ich es für eine Unverschämtheit, die Mittagspause wegen einer Besprechung zu streichen. Die 30-minütige Pause ist unsere einzige Pause am Tag und die dürfen wir nicht "nachholen", wenn die Chefs uns vorschreiben, in einer Besprechung zu sitzen. Besprechungen sollten während unserer Arbeitszeit stattfinden..

*verärgertsei*
#248VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 16 Nov 10, 16:38
Kommentar
Schwirren klingt eher wie Bienen, oder vielleicht Libellen. (Wo steckt eigentlich dragonfly?) So fleißig sind meine Neuronen noch nicht. Mit etwas Kaffee aber schwimmen sie vielleicht zurück zur Oberfläche. *glugg*

Da ich CNN nicht bekomme, habe ich diese Kate noch nie bewusst wahrgenommen.

Schade nur, dass Jools' und Laras Kollegen sich nicht zusammentun könnten, um sich nützlicher zu machen. Alle Kaffeemaschinen auf einmal zu reinigen zum Beispiel.

Lara, du hast einen Kamin in der Wohnung? Du Glückspilz!

SD3, Ultimate kann er auf SUNY-Albany spielen, wo er nicht mehr Französisch, Italienisch oder was weiß ich noch studieren darf. In Cambridge sollte er aber zwei- bis dreimal in der Woche Evensong hören. Vielleicht sogar mitsingen? *träum*

#249Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 16 Nov 10, 16:46
Kommentar
*handing over a big yummy chunky chocolate bar to Lara* :)
I don't think your colleague wants you to feel unneeded (? superfluous? "ueberfluessig" halt!). Sounds more like he wants to bond and play with you. "Hey Lara, here, here, look what I can do." Don't know what to do though, other than tell him to stop being such a pain. If he has a German wife, he might be used to German directness, so don't be shy. ;)

I also can understand your frustration over the stolen break and know how much das saugt. :(
*adding a bottle of red wine to the chocolate bar*
Try to focus on your holiday. :)
And yes, I agree. I don't find Kate particulary attractive either. Especially not hot. I find her incredibly boring, very generic. She's not ugly, but nothing special either. Not my type of girl. But neither is William my type of man or rather guy. Too sleazy, generic and boyish. Although he's not much younger than me...

Edit:

And once again the Spiegel-Koresspondent from London makes me really angry because he is absolutely mis- or disinformed and only writes total bs.
Middletons Vater war Pilot bei British Airways, ihre Mutter Stewardess, bevor sie in den achtziger Jahren ein Familien-Unternehmen gründeten und damit zu Millionären wurden.
BOLLOCKS!
Her father is a "businessman" who inherited several millions from his father and grandfather. His wife might have been a stewardess, but she was also the one who forced Kate to go to St. Andrews, so she can get and marry one of those posh filthy filthy rich kids. Worked out quite well, I have to admit.

Ok.. Feierabend... 'nuf said.
#250VerfasserJools (432226) 16 Nov 10, 16:54
Kommentar
Good evening snails!

@SD3:
I am so sorry for your son. His life in Cambridge MUST be dreadful!!!

@Lara:
Being blunt and 'German' is one way of reacting to your colleague. Another way could be to give him the attention he is longing for. Perhaps he needs to brush up his self-esteem, which is why he feels he has to prove his German skills and to show how important he is. Say something nice to him and he will appreciate it. If I was you, I'd even recommend the following link to him so that he can acquire a more profound knowledge of the German language:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fctZDu6wLCQ

I've also got two correcturitos for you:
Einen Tag lang...
either: vorm Computer hocken or: sich vorn C. hocken

Didn't you ask for some music, Lara? Well, here we go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uID37HulabE&fe...

#251Verfassercookie crumbler (484354) 16 Nov 10, 17:49
Kommentar
Ihr habt bestimmt recht, mein Kollege meint das nicht böse, aber ärgern tue ich trotzdem. cookie, hier herrscht Musikverbot!! (emphasis NOT mine :o()

Die Besprechung is jetzt vorbei und ich muss nur noch etwa 3 Stunden absitzen...
#252VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 16 Nov 10, 18:52
Kommentar
Now, who can brighten up MY dull evening? I have to correct piles of t***s and tomorrow I'll have to spend almost the whole day at sch**l, whereas my st****ts are free. There'll be a meeting tomorrow called 'pädagogischer Tag' - what a pain! I'd have preferred 'demagogischer Tag' or the like. Lara let's pity each other a bit, cmoan!

*pityingmyself*pityingLara*pityingmyself*pityingLara*pityingmyself*pityingLara*
(and so forth)
#253Verfassercookie crumbler (484354) 16 Nov 10, 18:56
Kommentar
aber ärgern tue ich trotzdem

I assume you don't want to annoy somebody else (jemanden ärgern), instead you are annoyed (sich ärgern), right?

So, you could say

aber ärgern tue ich mich trotzdem

However, you may want to avoid the "tun" because it's not exactly good German although you can hear it frequently. For that reason I'd suggest:

aber ich ärgere mich trotzdem
#254Verfasserharambee (91833) 16 Nov 10, 19:02
Kommentar
Don't you pity us, harambee?
#255Verfassercookie crumbler (484354) 16 Nov 10, 19:04
Kommentar
*seufz*

Ok ich lade dich zu meiner Pity-Party ein, cookie. und jetzt verabschiede ich mich von diesem Schneckenhaus, weil ich mit dem Blindtippen und die dazugehörge Fehler mich nur noch mehr ärgere.

Ihr könnt dann die Fehler zählen bis ihr einschläft (funktioniert genauso gut wie Schaafe)
#256VerfasserLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 16 Nov 10, 19:08
Kommentar
Sorry for the late reply, but some unexpected work had called ;-)

Of course I pity both of you and wish you better times as soon as possible! :-)
#257Verfasserharambee (91833) 16 Nov 10, 20:11
Kommentar
*joiningharambeeinpityingcookieandLara*
#258Verfasseratalante (480508) 16 Nov 10, 20:27
Kommentar
Obviously building a new shell would help Lara somehow but I can't do it before tomorrow night. ;-)
#259Verfasserharambee (91833) 16 Nov 10, 20:30
Kommentar
*distributing some pity whereever it is needed*

*uploading first christmas cookies* (Yet, without decoration, so far)

Outside it starts feeling like the right time for Glühwein. Apparently we're at the edge of the coldest winter since the beginning of the records. Nice thought. :(
#260VerfasserLore (236345) 16 Nov 10, 20:35
Kommentar
Just read a few articles and comment on the "Wills&Kate issue" on the Guardian web site. The commentariat is in a deuce of a stir, very entertaining :-D.
I wouldn't want to have the job Kate is going to get (or the job William won't be able to escape), but more power to them if they have decided to brave that life together.
#261VerfasserGuggstDu (427193) 16 Nov 10, 21:31
Kommentar
Lore, I have heard that from a number of people... --where do they get that info from?
My favourite weather web site (wetter-online.de) does not make long-term predictions, but they do say we might get frost next week. Good thing I have an appointment at the garage to have the tyres changed to winter/snow tyres. After last winter (10 weeks of snow cover) I am not really willing to take any chances with my new car, even though most people think that we northerners have no idea what "winter" means ;-).
#262VerfasserGuggstDu (427193) 16 Nov 10, 21:41
Kommentar
Thanks for your moral support, I'm already feeling better.
Good night !

@GugstDu:
Well, you Northerners had a real winter not long ago. How I'd like to be where you are now: Baltic Sea, Eckernförde, Kappeln, wind, water waves, lighthouses, etc. How much I miss listening and talking to the sea... *pityingmyselfagain* [to myself: stop pitying yourself NOW!]
#263Verfassercookie crumbler (484354) 16 Nov 10, 22:33
Kommentar
I've heard rumours that the gulf stream is going to freeze due to certain holes in the Gulf of Mexico.
#264Verfasserbluesky (236159) 16 Nov 10, 22:48
Kommentar
@Lara and harambee
To me, "...aber ärgern tu ich mich trotzdem" sounds perfectly ok.
Southern again I suspect.

I think we use "tun" as an auxiliary verb quite a lot.

Too tired to think of example sentences. Please, fellow southerners, support me if I'm right.
#265VerfasserGoldammer (428405) 16 Nov 10, 23:10
Kommentar
@ "...aber ärgern tu(e) ich mich trotzdem" sounds perfectly ok for me, too.

For me it's a very idiomatic way to emphasize the feeling. It gives a colorful nuance to the sentence like modal particles can do, too. I would not use it in serios context because it would sound too warm, emotional and close to dialect in business communication e.g.

And no, the auxiliary verb "tun" is not an Anglicism. It is used in dialect and regional colloquial speech also for subjunctive: Ich tät mich an deiner Stelle nicht aufregen! 
I pity all dialectfree Not-Southerners if it's really not a possibility for them to use it in daily communication ;-))
I wonder whether it's used in Platt in the same way.

#266Verfassermanni3 (305129) 17 Nov 10, 00:21
Kommentar
This is a late appearance in this thread, all the same, thank you, wi-chan, for the shell, which we are going to shed soon.

"... aber ärgern tue ich mich trotzdem" is something I would say myself, while in "Ich tät mich an deiner Stelle nicht aufregen!", I would probably replace "tät" with "würde" or at least say "täte".

I'm not sure, whether being pitied by manni3 will really give much consolation. Anyway, "Not-Southerners" sounds a little strange to me, I would say "non-Southerners" - maybe, a native speaker could comment on this point.
#267VerfasserEmil 14 (299747) 17 Nov 10, 01:22
Kommentar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM&fe...

Maybe that brightens your day. I really enjoyed it.
#268VerfasserGoldammer (428405) 17 Nov 10, 08:49
Kommentar
@Guggst du First things first: Hi, nice to meet you! :-)
Concerning the frightening weather news, I read it on the T-online news site, and after googeling I saw that it's on pretty much every dubious news source. Like e.g. this one. Most of them state somehow that Russian scientists recently published new data on the Gulf stream. I guess, we'll find out, whether or not the information is going to prove true.
#269VerfasserLore (236345) 17 Nov 10, 09:31
Kommentar
There is also a Zwiebelfisch about tun:

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/zwiebelfisch/0,1...

It shows that we are all right :-)
#270Verfasserharambee (91833) 17 Nov 10, 09:50
Kommentar
Interesting link, harambee! Thanks!

And as you can see, using "tun" as an auxiliary verb in order to stress something is general and not southern, the example sentence shows exactly the way Lara used it:

Die Verwendung des Wortes "tun" als Hilfsverb ist in bestimmten Fällen zulässig; zum Beispiel, um das eigentliche Verb zu betonen: "Rauchen tu ich schon lange nicht mehr"
#271VerfasserGoldammer (428405) 17 Nov 10, 10:12
Kommentar
@ Goldammer:

Your example sounds to me massive (or how would you say "klingt schwer danach" ???) as if there had to follow something, e.g.: "Rauchen tu ich schon lange nicht mehr .... dafür sauf ich jetzt." ;-)
#272VerfasserSachs (638558) 17 Nov 10, 11:08
Kommentar
Oh dear:
http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/0,1518,72...
Passagiere in Rage
Vier Stunden Sitzstreik im Ryanair-Jet
Das Flugzeug war viel zu spät gestartet, erst tief in der Nacht erreichte es das Ziel. Na ja, beinahe. Denn statt bei Paris landete ein Ryanair-Jet in der Nähe von Lüttich. Die Passagiere waren so empört, dass sie sich weigerten, die Maschine zu verlassen.

Now it's not only EasyJet, but Ryanair, too???
Well, at least Cologne is much closer to Duesseldorf than Li`ege (that's supposed to be an accentgraph) is to Paris!
*beginning to pray that she will actually arrive in Berlin before xmas for her xmas holiday*
#273VerfasserJools (432226) 17 Nov 10, 11:19
Kommentar
Was für Löcher sind das im Golf von Mexiko, bluesky?

Danke, Sachs, für die Korrektur von (vor?)gestern. Mit der deutschen Rechtschreibreform stehe ich manchmal auf Kriegsfuß. Ich war mal ziemlich sattelfest, bin jetzt aber oft unsicher.
"klingt schwer danach" Eine Möglichkeit wäre: sounds to me very much as if there needs to be something after it.
Heißt das, dass einer, der nie geraucht hat, das Saufen auch nicht anfangen darf? :-(
#274VerfasserSD3 (451227) 17 Nov 10, 12:51
Kommentar
ßD3 @ Löcher im Golf von Mexiko: Always those Englishmen drilling holes in the sea. And then they are washing their hands of innocence when water disappears or oil appears ...

#275Verfassermanni3 (305129) 17 Nov 10, 14:34
Kommentar
22 days... 22 days.. 22 days.. 22 days...

I just had a very unpleasant phone conversation with that lawyer who won't listen and or understand.
The one who wants info on his clients, but won't tell me who his clients are. Grargh!

22 days... 22 days... 22 days... 22 days left...

@Sachs: I wouldn't use "massive(ly)" but "strongly". But it still sounds odd.
Maybe something like "Your example strongly suggests that you now do sth else, as if you are a heavy drinker now" would be more idiomatic?
#276VerfasserJools (432226) 17 Nov 10, 15:18
Kommentar
I am wondering whether Phillipp who had volunteered to build the next shell ;-) actually has time for that wonderful activity. I will be back around 6:30 or so. If nothing happens 'till then I could take over the job. If, however, anybody else is keen on building, please go ahead!
#277Verfasserharambee (91833) 17 Nov 10, 15:24
Kommentar
Ich bin momentan immer noch in Verhandlung mit den Kalkhändlern, werde ein neues Häusl aber fristgerecht und schön verputzt bereitstellen können. Einfach weiter chatten, ich weise ins neue Haus in den '90ern. ;-)
#278VerfasserPhillipp17 Nov 10, 15:33
Kommentar
Oh, that's nice to hear! It makes me really curious what Phillipp might have done already to prepare the new house....
#279VerfasserGoldammer (428405) 17 Nov 10, 17:33
Kommentar
Hi, Goldammer ;-) Guten Tag gehabt? Kennst du zufällig als BWerin die Bücher von Hermann Lenz (nichts mit Siegfried zu tun)? Habe ich früher sehr gern gelesen.
#280VerfasserPhillipp17 Nov 10, 18:11
Kommentar
Yes, Goldammer, some ten new postings and we will know what Phillipp has prepared for us :-)
#281Verfasserharambee (91833) 17 Nov 10, 18:30
Kommentar
Nur Gutes natürlich mit Einweihungsfest und guter Musi ;-)
#282VerfasserPhillipp17 Nov 10, 18:37
Kommentar
There is no doubt about it :-)
#283Verfasserharambee (91833) 17 Nov 10, 18:48
Kommentar
@Emil: Non-Southerner oder not a Southerner, meine ich.

@Jools: Punting kennt er schon. Warm and sunny? Kannst du mir sagen, welcher Tag das wäre? ;-)

@hm--us: Ich hege keine Hoffnung, dass er es mal zu evensong schafft.

@Phillipp: Ich freue mich auf das Einweihungsfest, aber inzwischen arbeite ich noch ein bisschen weiter.
#284VerfasserSD3 (451227) 17 Nov 10, 18:57
Kommentar
Falls es mit dem Häusl auch früher ginge, ohne das Kalkprojekt zu stören, würden sich Lara und die anderen, die mit langen Fäden immer Schwierigkeiten haben, bestimmt freuen. Mehr als 230-250 Gelbkästen müssen eigentlich nie sein, keine Bäume werden ja hier gefällt ...

Schön, dass GuggstDu (wieder?) vorbeikommt.

Wie genau sollen die Öllöcher den europäischen Winter beeinflusst haben?
#285Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 17 Nov 10, 19:07
Kommentar
hm, this link has some explanations:

http://www.welt.de/print/wams/vermischtes/art...
#286Verfasserharambee (91833) 17 Nov 10, 19:12
Kommentar
The house Phillipp is building is CC 100000000 in the binary system :-)
#287Verfasserharambee (91833) 17 Nov 10, 19:18
Kommentar
Thanks to SD3 and Jools for your suggestions.

@ SD3:
Heißt das, dass einer, der nie geraucht hat, das Saufen auch nicht anfangen darf? :-(

Of course not. And one day maybe you'll be able to use the sentence the other way 'round "Saufen tu ich schon lange nicht mehr .... ich habe einfach keine Zeit die Flaschen zu öffnen seitdem ich 200 Zigaretten pro Tag rauche" ;-)
#288VerfasserSachs (638558) 17 Nov 10, 19:35
Kommentar
Ach, das wusste ich nicht, dass manche hier Probleme mit langen Faden haben. Also hier die Rutschbahn ins neue Häusl:

Siehe auch: Crossover Chat 256
#289VerfasserPhillipp17 Nov 10, 19:57
Kommentar
Häusl? You know what the means in Austrian German, don't you? :)
#290VerfasserCarullus (670120) 17 Nov 10, 20:14
Kommentar
Jetzt scho' ;-)
#291VerfasserPhillipp17 Nov 10, 21:29
Kommentar
Hallo Leute,
kann mir das einer übersetzen?

1. Anspruch auf Lieferung aus §433 Abs. 2 BGB in Verbindung mit §269 Abs. 1 BGB.
Der Verkäufer kann verlangen, dass der Käufer den Kaufpreis zahlt und die Kaufsache abnimmt (§ 433 Abs. 2 BGB). Beim Sachkauf ist dafür Voraussetzung, dass er dem Käufer die mangelfreie Sache übergibt und übereignet (§ 433 Abs. 1 BGB).
Erfüllungsort ist mangels abweichender Vereinbarung der Sitz des Schuldners (§ 269 Abs. 1 BGB)
Einkaufsbedingungen W&G

 13. Erfüllungsort, Gerichtsstand
o Erfüllungsort für die Lieferung ist Rheda-Wiedenbrück oder, falls eine andere Abladestelle vereinbart wurde, diese Abladestelle.

2. Ausschluss der Leistungspflicht des Verkäufers möglich, wenn folgende Voraussetzungen erfüllt werden:
§ 275 Abs. 1 BGB
Ist die Möglichkeit der Leistung für jedermann ausgeschlossen, liegt ein Fall der Unmöglichkeit vor (§ 275 Abs. 1 Alt. 2 BGB)
 Ersatz ist möglich, da Gattungsware (Ware, die in genau gleicher Art in grosser Zahl vorhanden ist. Gattungswaren sind vertretbare oder austauschbare Sachen (zum Beispiel: Holz)
§ 275 Abs. 2 BGB
Verkäufer kann die Leistung verweigern, wenn die Erbringung einen unverhältnismäßigen Aufwand erfordert.
 Holz ist einfach zu beschaffen. (Man muss nicht erst den Ozean abpumpen )
§ 275 Abs. 3 BGB
Ist dem Verkäufer eine höchstpersönlich zu erbringende Leistung individuell unzumutbar, steht ihm das Leistungsverweigerungsrecht aus § 275 Abs. 3 BGB zu. (z.B. Sänger muss selber singen)
 Keine höchstpersönlich zu erbringende Leistung
§ 243 Abs. 2 BGB
Wenn der Verkäufer zur Erfüllung seiner Lieferverpflichtung alles Erforderliche getan hat und Ihm nichts mehr zu tun übrig bleibt.
 Erfüllungsort noch nicht erreicht
Ergebnis:
 Leistung muss zum alten Preis erfolgen
#292VerfasserIgor_sch (750253) 19 Nov 10, 20:44
Kommentar
und das auch bitte
Steigerung der Arbeitsproduktivität
In einer bestimmten Zeit können mehr Daten eingegeben werden.
Arbeitsprozesse können optimiert werden (gestrafft, eingespart).
Steigerung der der Arbeitsabläufe durch die Optimierung des Programms.
Minimierung von Fehlern und Fehlerbeseitigungen.

Kostenminimierung
effiziente Verarbeitung
- Fehlerkosten minimieren
- Zeitersparnis

Kundenfreundlichkeit
Eingabemasken strukturiert, logisch aufgebaut
erweiterbare Funktionalität
Layout übersichtlich, ansprechend visualisiert
verständliche Hilfe-Assistenten
Kompatibilität (Datenauswertung)

Mitarbeiter Demotivation vermeiden
Arbeitsproduktivität steigern
Ausfallzeiten verringern
Flexibilität

Qualitätsoptimierung
Zuverlässigkeit: Eine Software muss zuverlässig arbeiten. D.h. wenn Unstimmigkeiten auftreten darf sich die Software nicht normal verhalten, sondern eine Fehlermeldung ausbringen. Die Software darf nicht abstürzen. Das führt bei den Anwendern zu Unsicherheiten. Die Arbeit wird nicht bzw. verspätet erledigt. Der Anwender muss bezahlt werden ohne die Aufgaben erledigt zu haben. Arbeitsproduktivität sinkt.
Erweiterbarkeit und Wartbarkeit: Software sollte um bestimmte Spezifikationen erweiterbar sein (z.B. Gesetzesänderungen). Wenn Fehler aufgetreten sind sollten diese behoben werden können ohne hohe Kosten für erneute Programmierung auszugeben.
Kompatibilität: (z.B. Office2007-Dateien in Office2003 öffnen zu können). Anwender sollen nicht durch nicht kompatible Software von der Arbeit abgehalten werden. Hier entstehen ebenfalls Kosten ohne das Arbeit erledigt wird.
Sicherheit: (z.B. Passwörter) Schutz vor Missbrauch der Daten. Ein neu entwickeltes Konzept sollte nicht durch Unbefugte kopiert werden. Dadurch wird die Idee Wertlos.
Schnelligkeit: sowie ökonomische Nutzung von Speicher und Kommunikationsgeräten.

Imagegewinn
Auftragsvolumen / Kundenstamm vergrößern durch…
Erhöhung der Akzeptanz
Erhöhung des Bekanntheitsgrades
Erhöhung des Marktanteils
Abgrenzung zur Konkurrenz

#293VerfasserIgor_sch (750253) 19 Nov 10, 20:49
Kommentar
Igor, versuche selber zu übersetzen und stelle es dann unter "Übersetzung korrekt?" rein.
und kapere bitte keine alten Fäden oder erstelle entliche neue Fäden, damit machst du dir hier keine Freunde!
#294VerfasserRhapsody (236656) 19 Nov 10, 20:54
Kommentar
@Rhapsody: Igor möchte keine Übersetzung. Igor möchte schummeln.
#295Verfasserh h (38469) 19 Nov 10, 21:31
Kommentar
#296VerfasserSD3 (451227) 19 Nov 10, 23:50
Kommentar
#297VerfasserSD3 (451227) 19 Nov 10, 23:51
Kommentar
#298VerfasserSD3 (451227) 19 Nov 10, 23:51
Kommentar
#299VerfasserSD3 (451227) 19 Nov 10, 23:52
Kommentar
#300VerfasserSD3 (451227) 19 Nov 10, 23:55
iDie Diskussion zu diesem Artikel ist geschlossen.

LEO benutzt Cookies, um das schnellste Webseiten-Erlebnis mit den meisten Funktionen zu ermöglichen. Es werden teilweise auch Cookies von Diensten Dritter gesetzt. Weiterführende Informationen erhalten Sie in den Hinweisen zu den Nutzungsbedingungen / Datenschutz (Cookies) von LEO.