7 replies   
Comment
I've 3 quick questions to native speakers

q1:
it is a lot of fun TO me.
or
it is a lot of fun FOR me.

q2:
I am doing good (I heard a lot of native speakers saying this, even though I thought this was wrong ...)
or
I am doing well

q3:
I would like to support my opinion by the following arguments (good english or not?)
Authoreffect19 (450831) 19 Aug 11, 16:41
Comment
1. It is a lot of fun for me or I'm having a lot of fun doing it.
2. Q: How are you doing? Lately you hear people answer "I'm good" or "I'm doing good" = bad habit.
I'm doing great or I'm doing very well = better

3. I want to back up my opinion with these points.
#1AuthorHelmi (U.S.) (236620) 19 Aug 11, 16:50
Comment
#3: I would like to support my opinion by the following arguments. Good English or not? Not good.

I would like to support my opinion with the following arguments.

There's no grammatical reason to change "would like to support my opinion" to "want to back up my opinion".
#2AuthorAmy-MiMi (236989) 19 Aug 11, 17:00
Comment
I agree with #1 and #2, but add a possibility for the TO: It sounds like a lot of fun to me.

"How are you? Good." isn't as bad as "How are you doing? Good."
#3AuthorJurist (US) (804041) 19 Aug 11, 17:37
Comment
In Florida hörte ich oft: How are you doing? Fine!
#4AuthorRestitutus (765254) 19 Aug 11, 18:38
Comment
#5AuthorHelmi (U.S.) (236620) 19 Aug 11, 18:50
Comment
1: it IS a lot of fun FOR me.
"to" might be used if you said this:
it looks like a lot of fun to me.

2: I'm doin' good. (spoken, idiomatic, grammatically incorrect.) If you are taking the time to write it down, I would write it correctly as:

I am doing well.

If you said, "I'm good." I do not think that that would be grammatically "incorrect", because good is an adjective describing you - it does not modify the verb doing. In the phrase, "I am well," the "well" means healthy - it is not an adverb. In "I am doing well," well is an adverb and should be well, and not good.

Personally, I am someone who in my real life often says, "fine" in such situations.

3: "I would like to support my opinion by the following arguments."
This looks fine to me - not grammatically incorrect.

If that is something that you are writing somewhere in a formal context, I would say, "The following arguments support my opinion:" or "I support my opinion with the following arguments:" or "My opinion is supported by the following arguments:"

#6Authorsvaihingen (705121) 19 Aug 11, 19:11
Comment
Re: "I would like to support my opinion by the following arguments."
Better would be "with the following arguments." or "by making the following arguments."

Edit: I just read an article in today's New York Times about low-paid workers in Germany. They quote (as if she had spoken English) someone as saying, "I can barely survive even though the government here talks about how good the economy is doing." I suppose the writer or translator assumed this is what someone like her would say in AE.
#7AuthorJurist (US) (804041) 19 Aug 11, 19:23
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum

LEO uses cookies in order to facilitate the fastest possible website experience with the most functions. In some cases cookies from third parties are also used. For further information about this subject please refer to the information under  Leo’s Terms of use / Data protection (Cookies)