•  
  • Übersicht

Sprachlabor

Praxis / Practice – what's the difference?

Betrifft

Praxis / Practice – what's the difference?

Kommentar
    Hi. What's the difference between "praxis" and "practice"? In my understanding, they both mean the opposite of "theory". Could someone explain it to me, please? Thanks in advance! :)
    Verfassertilmanb (265279) 16 Nov. 12, 14:06
    Kommentar
    In theory it is the same, but practice can also mean ÜBUNG, PROBEN,ETWAS BETREIBEN.
    #1VerfasserJenny_33 (892951) 16 Nov. 12, 14:09
    Kommentar
    The English word 'praxis' is a very formal word which is not normally used in everyday contexts. Many native speakers will never have heard it before. You are especially likely to read it in an academic context.
    #2VerfasserCM2DD (236324) 16 Nov. 12, 14:30
    Kommentar
    I am indeed talking about an academic article that I am trying to read! Help me please with this!!! Can somebody explain it to me?

"The paper proposes a framework for strategy research that integrates these two levels based on the three concepts of strategy praxis, strategy practices and strategy practitioners."
    #3Verfassertilmanb (265279) 16 Nov. 12, 18:33
    Kommentar
    #2: Many native speakers will never have heard it before.

Indeed. When I saw this thread, I actually assumed it was about differences between the German word "Praxis" and the English "practice". (Sorry, tilmanb! :-))
    #4VerfasserKinkyAfro (587241) 16 Nov. 12, 19:05
    Kommentar
    When I saw this thread, I actually assumed it was about differences between the German word "Praxis" and the English "practice". (Sorry, tilmanb! :-))

Ditto.
    #5Verfasserwupper (354075) 16 Nov. 12, 22:27
    Kommentar
    a second ditto; my Oxford Concise says, "praxis 1. accepted practice or custom 2. practising of an art or skill."

just wondering if here the writer is making a similar distinction as with technology and techniques (praxis, practices) ?
    #6Verfassermikefm (760309) 16 Nov. 12, 22:36
    Kommentar
    Mikefm, so you are saying that praxis is the sum of all practices?
    #7Verfassertilmanb (265279) 18 Nov. 12, 12:56
    Kommentar
    As you see from other posts, "praxis" is rare in English; here I think it refers to the knowledge relating to a technique as opposed to its application; "strategy praxis, strategy practices" - see the Oxford definition.

See what others say maybe
    #8Verfassermikefm (760309) 18 Nov. 12, 13:10
    Kommentar
    I wouldn't expect praxis in English except, possibly, in a social science scholarly article.
    #9VerfasserJurist (US) (804041) 18 Nov. 12, 19:13
    Kommentar
    Jurist, and what would you expect the meaning to be in a social science scholarly article? (That's exactly what I'm trying to read...) I did read what mikefm and others wrote – but I'm still hoping to get some more/better explanations...
    #10Verfassertilmanb (265279) 18 Nov. 12, 21:33
    Kommentar
    Den kompletten Aufsatz "Completing the Practice Turn in Strategy Research" von Richard Whittington kann man als PDF herunterladen: www.ripeat.org/wp-content/uploads/tdomf/1079/Whittington.pdf

Für Interessierte hier die fraglichen Begriffe im Kontext des Abstracts: This paper identifies a practice turn in current strategy research, treating strategy as something people do. However, it argues that this turn is incomplete in that researchers currently concentrate either on strategy activity at the intra-organizational level or on the aggregate effects of this activity at the extra-organizational level. The paper proposes a framework for strategy research that integrates these two levels based on the three concepts of strategy praxis, strategy practices and strategy practitioners. The paper develops implications of this framework for research, particularly with regard to the impact of strategy practices on strategy praxis, the creation and transfer of strategy practices and the making of strategy practitioners. The paper concludes by outlining the distinctive emphases of the practice perspective within the strategy discipline.

In der Einleitung findet sich dieser verheißungsvolle Satz: The third section develops the paper’s three central concepts of strategy praxis, strategy practices and strategy practitioners, and links them together within an integrated framework capable of driving forward strategy practice research.

Also auf zum dritten Abschnitt! Leider habe ich gerade nicht die Muße, ihn selbst zu lesen. Daher kann ich als ersten Versuch nur vermuten, dass mit strategy praxis so etwas wie "angewandte Strategie" im Sinne der Umsetzung (durch Handlungen!) eines übergeordneten Handlungsleitbildes, mit strategy practices an diesem Leitbild ausgerichtete Handlungsroutinen und mit strategy practitioners die Anwender gemeint sind. Genaueres ergibt die Lektüre des Aufsatzes, inschallah.
    #11VerfasserDritte_Schicht (804716) 19 Nov. 12, 03:20
    Kommentar
    practitioners (i.e. those who do the actual work of shaping and executing strategy), 'praxis' (i.e. the concrete, situated doing of strategy) and 'practices' (i.e. the routinized types of behaviour drawn upon in the concrete doing of strategy) as the three building blocks that make up strategizing.
    http://www.cambridge.org/aus/catalogue/catalo...

Whittington came up with this specific use of 'praxis' in 2006 ('Strategy as Practice'). He identifies three elements: praxis, practice and practitioners. Here's a German writing on it and using 'Praxis', 'Praktiken' and 'Praktiker': http://books.google.de/books?id=zFQN5MpNXGUC...
    And another: http://books.google.de/books?id=VhF3F2QHMJsC...
    #12VerfasserCM2DD (236324) 19 Nov. 12, 11:29

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Tastatur

• Sonderzeichen

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt