Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Betrifft

et cetera

Kommentar
    How do you pronounce in English "et cetera"? Is it "x-zet-era" or "at-zet-era"?

I would opt for the latter, but I've heard a lot of people use the former.

VerfasserDödel08 Mär. 06, 16:48
    Kommentar
    I have heard your first version a few times, too. But the correct way to say it is definitely the second version (and I think most people do get it right).
    #1VerfasserThomas08 Mär. 06, 16:53
    Kommentar
    The people who say eksetra are the same ones who say longditude, Febury, libry, vunrable, vocablary and the like.
    #2Verfasser?08 Mär. 06, 17:31
    Kommentar
    Not to mention "asterix" (instead of asterisk). That annoys me!

One note though, I've always heard and said the first syllable more as "et" than "at" (as in, rhyming with get, set, bet, wet instead of cat, bat, mat).
    #3VerfasserNicole <AE>08 Mär. 06, 17:43
    Kommentar
    It's a question of language description v.s. prescription. If people understand you within your environment, it is fine to even(!) pronounce it 'x etera', depending on whether you care for the reaction or not. Does one in this case actually pronounce it as 'iks' or as 'eks', in the other case as 'aet', 'at', 'et', 'it' (short 'i')???
    #4VerfasserCooper23 Mär. 06, 15:10
    Kommentar
    The "normal" pronunciation I would have thought is etsetra (not atsetra). The version with eks- is a rather odd kind of assimilation.

The words listed by ? are a mixed bunch. The superfluous d in longitude simply reflects an ignorance of the nature of the word, the others are regular elisions that ? probably uses himself when he's not listening.
    #5Verfasserescoville23 Mär. 06, 15:46
    Kommentar
    @Dödel
    In Latin it used to be "et coetera" ("and the remaining things") and only the Prince of Evil knows how they pronounced it exactly, but it had to be something like "et zötera", "et kötera" or "et tschötera" (German phonetics). You may still use it like this if you don't mind sounding somewhat scholarly, slightly pedantic and a bit old-fashioned (but interesting :-).
    About the pronounciation I've heard pretty often "etsitra", however all proposed variants should be OK as long as you don't loose your audience.
    #6VerfasserSherlock23 Mär. 06, 15:52
    Kommentar
    And then, there are the people who say nucular *g*
    #7Verfasserimaxchen23 Mär. 06, 16:13
    Kommentar
    @Sherlock
    The original Latin pronunciation would have been the same for et, but coetera would have been pronounced with a hard c and the o and e that follow the c would both have been pronounced. So phonetically it would have been et ko-et-er-a.
    Hope that satisfies any curiosity you may have had about that.
    As for the correct pronunciation of et cetera as it stands now, there are so many different ways to pronounce it based on a given region of spoken English (particularly in America), that it's hard to give a truly correct way to pronounce it, although I would agree with Sherlock's "etsitra."
    #8VerfasserJ.06 Jun. 08, 21:36

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt