Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Übersicht

Sprachlabor

U.S. vs US für United States

Betrifft

U.S. vs US für United States

Kommentar
    Beides sieht man in englischen Texten. Was ist der Unterschied? Wann braucht man welches? Hat das was mit britischem und amerikanischen Englisch zu tun? Und wie sieht es in anderen Englischvarianten aus?
    Verfasser leomilo (1045705) 22 Dez. 14, 15:22
    Kommentar
    There isn't a right or wrong, and the only difference is in preferred usage. Style guides may prefer one form over another.

I (BE) would always use US / GB / UK etc. - i.e. always without full stops.
    #1Verfasser Spike BE (535528) 22 Dez. 14, 16:06
    Kommentar
    Coming from the AE perspective, I agree with #1.
    #2Verfasser hbberlin (420040) 22 Dez. 14, 16:21
    Kommentar
    I consider them interchangeable. Some publications use one form, others use the other.

Personally, I always use US, because U.S. is longer to type and looks a little fussy. But I don't have strong feelings about it.

Like everyone else, there are people who pay close attention to who uses different styles, and which is considered "right" and "wrong."
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-...

But I don't think that anyone would pay much attention, or care very much - unless they're writing for a publication that has a house style.
    #3Verfasser eric (new york) (63613) 22 Dez. 14, 19:57
    Kommentar
    From the Wikipedia Style Guide:

In American and Canadian English, U.S. (with periods) has long been the dominant abbreviation for United States. US (without periods) is more common in most other national forms of English. Some major American style guides, such as The Chicago Manual of Style (16th ed.), now deprecate U.S. and prefer US. Use of periods for abbreviations and acronyms should be consistent within any given article and congruent with the variety of English used by that article. In longer abbreviations (three letters or more) that incorporate the country's initials (USN, USAF), do not use periods. When the United States is mentioned with one or more other countries in the same sentence, U.S. or US may be too informal, especially at the first mention or as a noun instead of an adjective (France and the United States, not France and the U.S.). Neither use the spaced U. S. nor the archaic U.S. of A., except when quoting. Do not use U.S.A. or USA, except in a quotation or as part of a proper name (Team USA), because these abbreviations are also used for United States Army and other names. USA is correct, though, in the context of formal codes in which it appears that way, e.g. the ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 codes and FIFA country codes.
    #4Verfasser ion1122 (443218) 22 Dez. 14, 21:36
    Kommentar
    Germans speaking or writing in English should not say/write America in cases where Americans would say or write US, U.S., USA or United States.

Take care with cases where "The" U.S./USA/etc. is required to be idiomatic.

I don't think many Americans refer to "the States" except when abroad.

Don't ever (in English) use any variation on US-American or US-America.
    #5Verfasser Jurist (US) (804041) 22 Dez. 14, 23:18
    Kommentar
    US is more modern and becoming more common; U.S. is more traditional and becoming less common. Either is acceptable as long as you're consistent and follow any necessary style guides.

On questions of usage like this, you can often find past discussions, with links to reference sources, in the forum archive (Suche in allen Foren).
    #6Verfasser hm -- us (236141) 22 Dez. 14, 23:56

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt