• Special characters

• Lautschrift

leo-ende
Advertisement
Topic

what / which job to choose

5 replies   
Comment
Ich will schreiben "Es melden sich viele, die nicht wissen, welchen Job sie lernen sollen." Bezieht sich auf die Berufsberatungszentren.

Eher "what job" oder "which job"? Ich würde eher zu ersterem tendieren, es gibt ja keine sehr eingeschränkte Auswahl. Aber da man ja oft auch beide verwenden kann, könnte dies so ein Fall sein. Denn durch das Thema "Berufe" haben wir ja eine Einschränkung, die auch ein "which" rechtfertigen würde. Was denkt ihr?
AuthorWanderer82 (765276) 25 Jan 15, 16:27
Comment
If you are talking about people who really have no idea what they want to do, then "what" sounds more natural to me.

I suppose the answer could be influenced by the rest of the sentence in English, but lacking that, I would say "what". If you choose "which," it sounds like the list of potential careers has already been narrowed somehow. I'm assuming that the rest of the context doesn't limit the careers in some way.
#1AuthorAmy-MiMi (236989) 25 Jan 15, 17:03
Comment
I think here "what" means "what kind if job"; "which" implies making a choice; so agree it should be "what".
#2Authormikefm (760309) 25 Jan 15, 17:11
Comment
That's why I thought both are possible. I'm talking about students who will have to decide on a job they want to write their job application for.

So actually one question could be "what kind of job" as a first decision narrowing down the choice (but not necessarily). And the final decision will surely be out of a choice (be it all jobs or a field of jobs). That's why I am uncertain. And in the sentence "what / which job to choose" for example, which sounds a bit more naturally to my ears because of the choice involved, but I'm not a native ;-)

Thanks for the help!

#3AuthorWanderer82 (765276) 25 Jan 15, 19:48
Comment
And in the sentence "what / which job to choose" for example, which sounds a bit more naturally to my ears because of the choice involved, but I'm not a native ;-)

IMO, either "which" or "what" will do. Note that in your own sentence it should be "which sounds a bit more natural to my ears."
#4AuthorHappyWarrior (964133) 26 Jan 15, 21:26
Comment
Part of the problem may be the word 'job,' which usually means a specific position with a specific company.

Many young people don't know / aren't sure (exactly) ...
... what type/kind of work they want to do (in life).
... what career they want to pursue.
... what occupation they want to train for / study for.
... what field/area they want to work in.

Many recent graduates have trouble deciding
... what/which jobs to apply for.
... what/which companies they want to work for.
... what/which employment options they want to pursue.

After receiving three job offers, the young applicant wasn't sure ...
... which job to accept.
... which job would be most satisfying.
... which job would offer the greatest long-term career prospects.

#5Authorhm -- us (236141) 27 Jan 15, 00:23
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum

LEO uses cookies in order to facilitate the fastest possible website experience with the most functions. In some cases cookies from third parties are also used. For further information about this subject please refer to the information under  Leo’s Terms of use / Data protection (Cookies)