• Special characters

• Lautschrift

leo-ende
Advertisement
Topic

Love = she?

14 replies    
Comment
Ich möchte eine Rede zur Feier eines Eheversprechens aus dem Deutschen ins Englische übertragen. Der Originaltext zählt die Facetten der Liebe auf, so zB "Sie ist immer da, aber nicht immer kannst du sie sehen." - Meine Frage: KÖNNTE ich auch mit dem Personalpronomen SHE hier arbeiten, um den persönlichen Bezug bzw das Poetische in dieser Aussage besser zu treffen ("She is always there ..., can't always see her."? Oder MUSS ich die Liebe als grammatikalisches Neutrum ansehen und mit "It is always there, but .... not always see it."?
Authorstrombolina21 (1144931) 18 Aug 17, 18:44
Comment
This does beg the question: Why not "he" as a further option to be considered? One thing for sure is that the gender of "love" in German is totally irrelevant for English! :-)
#1AuthorKinkyAfro (587241) 18 Aug 17, 19:09
Comment
It is definitely NOT because love in German is feminine. It is because one can express closer relation to a THING by considering it as feminine - as we have it with someone's car or a ship or a city like New York. Seeing love as grammatically neutrum sounds so dry and non-poetic to me.
#2Authorstrombolina21 (1144931) 18 Aug 17, 19:18
Comment
#2: It is because one can express closer relation to a THING by considering it as feminine

Oh - that's interesting... Anyway, as regards cars and ships, I'd say that using "she" as an alternative to "it" is a well-established exception.
#3AuthorKinkyAfro (587241) 18 Aug 17, 19:33
Comment
But it's not dry and non-poetic in English. Love simply is "it," and it's not a problem. You can't look at it through German eyes.
#4Authordude (253248) 18 Aug 17, 19:33
Comment
I always close my German eyes when using English in whatever way ;-))
THANK you indeed for the clear statement.
#5Authorstrombolina21 (1144931) 18 Aug 17, 19:37
Comment
Love is blind, as they say... ;-)
#6AuthorKinkyAfro (587241) 18 Aug 17, 20:26
Comment
I suggest to repeat the word love at least some of the times you would use the personal pronoun in German. It's what you find in bible translations as well (1. Kor 13:4-8 / 1 cor 13:4-8) ;-)

Love is patient, love is kind ...
Love is always there, but you can't see it.
#7AuthorAGB (236120) 18 Aug 17, 21:16
Comment
Denke einfach an das Mädchen ...
#8Authormbshu (874725) 18 Aug 17, 21:23
Comment
Or, better, think of Shakespeare's sonnet:

...Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O, no! it is an ever-fixed mark,
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark, (etc.)
#9AuthorMartin--cal (272273) 18 Aug 17, 23:11
Comment
Follow Love, and it will flee;
flee love, and it will follow thee.

The neutral pronoun is fine with me.
#10AuthorReinhard W. (237443) 20 Aug 17, 18:47
Comment
IMO, required.
"She" would sound foreign to me.
#11AuthorJurist (US) (804041) 20 Aug 17, 18:53
Comment
Hi thought this was an interesting question, because when I talk to people here they call cars, houses and even skivvies 'she ' occasionally. Therefore, I asked my local language advisor. This was the answer: If some wanky old fashioned poet writes a w.. o... poem, then he might use she. But it would sound w....
When I asked him to rephrase the sentence so that I could explain this in LEO the answer was: when people want to express a very personal feeling towards some thing they sometimes call it she, therefore, it's possible. In the mentioned context however highly unlikely and very old fashioned.
Wish u all a nice day 😊
#12AuthorJJ Frizzy (933670) 22 Aug 17, 22:16
Comment
Litl post script: my language advisor asked me to be careful with swear words and LEO. I would like to apllogies to anybody I offended with my last post. :( sorry
#13AuthorJJ Frizzy (933670) 22 Aug 17, 23:53
Comment
I don't care about swear words, but it is very annoying to see so many misspellings in such a short post - whether accidental ("apllogies" or intentional "Litl").
#14AuthorMartin--cal (272273) 23 Aug 17, 01:41
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum

LEO uses cookies in order to facilitate the fastest possible website experience with the most functions. In some cases cookies from third parties are also used. For further information about this subject please refer to the information under  Leo’s Terms of use / Data protection (Cookies)