• Sonderzeichen

• Lautschrift

leo-ende
Werbung
Betrifft

Inconspicuous errors made by native speakers

54 Antworten   
Kommentar
As I was reading through the article on 'very British phrases' (Siehe auch: some British colloquialisms), I noticed the following mistake:

'An act which could be deemed as (sic) impolite or shameless, but for some reason comes across as funny or endearing to others, would be described as "cheeky."'

deem
VERB
formal 
with object and complement: Regard or consider in a specified way.
‘the event was deemed a great success’
with object and infinitive: ‘the strike was deemed to be illegal’

It occurred to me that minor mistakes involving prepositions or the confusion/conflation of similar words or phrases (e.g. irregardless instead of irrespective or regardless) are something you see more and more often in writing these days (insert moan about internet, slipping educational standards, etc. here), and that a thread that collected and discussed examples of such poor usage could be quite useful to non-natives.
Verfassercovellite (520987) 14 Nov 17, 13:53
Kommentar
Ein Fehler, der mir in letzter Zeit in Büchern verschiedener Autoren aufgefallen ist: passed statt past.

"I ran passed (sic) the library on my way to the park."

#1VerfasserYarith (877626) 14 Nov 17, 14:57
Kommentar
People make mistakes, and always have. These days more is written by people whose competence in written English is less, with the result that mistakes are more numerous and more visible. But we all make them. If a text is to be printed, more time is given to proofreading, because print is expensive. But even then... I have a book published by John Murray (Jane Austen's publisher, very respectable) in 1987, in which on three occasions there is reference to 'expatriots' (sic).

In the thread on 'very British phrases' one of our number, for whom I have great respect, has written 'conscience' where I am fairly sure 'consciousness' is meant. Stuff happens.
#2Verfasserescoville (237761) 14 Nov 17, 15:35
Kommentar
Das Durcheinander zwischen lay, laid, laid und lie, lay, lain. So häufig, dass ich es nicht mehr lesen oder hören kann, ohne mich jedes einzelne Mal zu fragen: "War das jetzt richtig? Ausnahmsweise??"

And “when I’m laying in that casket, guess what’s going to be laying on top of my fat-ass body? This dress.” [eine gewisse Tiffany Haddish, Saturday Night Live, US] -- Nur das aktuellste Beispiel, The Guardian, von gestern.

#3VerfassersebastianW (382026) 14 Nov 17, 16:02
Kommentar
A German example that I encounter on a weekly, if not daily basis, is the conflation of zumindest and mindestens = zumindestens.

Took me a while to realize that there's no such word. :-)

#2 - People make mistakes, and always have.

Of course they do, and of course they will continue to do so. Nobody is infallible :-) My point really is that the prevalence of certain mistakes, even in otherwise respectable sources, obscures that fact that these less obvious errors are nevertheless errors. Regular LEO users, if you'll forgive the generalization, put stock in learning the correct use of a language, and I don't see any harm in trying to build up a compendium of sorts for typical errors made even by native speakers.
#4Verfassercovellite (520987) 14 Nov 17, 17:37
Kommentar
I'm not sure at what point an 'error' becomes the accepted, normal idiom.
Especially but not exclusively in BE, it is very common to hear "try and" do something, when I would say (or at least write) "try to" do something.

Maybe it's more style choice than error, but I would edit out the redundancy I hear from BE news announcers who often use "also" and "as well" in the same sentence.
#5VerfasserJurist (US) (804041) 14 Nov 17, 17:49
Kommentar
Two mistakes I see fairly often are:
- confusing their and they're
- confusing its and it's
Also, I have encountered some of the words out of the word pairs here
Siehe auch: Confusing word pairs when they were being used incorrectly, eg. effect/affect. (With others, I had no idea anyone could possibly mix them up).

#6VerfasserDragon (238202) 14 Nov 17, 18:13
Kommentar
#2 If a text is to be printed, more time is given to proofreading, because print is expensive.
In general, yes, but some books hardly seem to have been proofread at all. I've written more than once to publishers (quite respectable ones), drawing attention to the mistakes in spelling and grammar that have been allowed to stand.
#7VerfasserHecuba - UK (250280) 14 Nov 17, 19:01
Kommentar
I suspect that a lot of this Sammelfaden, which is indeed a good idea, may consist of links to past pet peeves.

I appreciate the flag on 'deem,' and would just mention that 'consider' actually follows the same pattern -- that is, when it means 'deem,' then 'as' is not necessary.

Better not to go into detail here, but see the archive for many past discussions of 'consider' vs. 'consider as.'

Siehe Wörterbuch: consider as

Another one of mine is 'beg the question,' now increasingly wrongly used to mean 'invite the question' or 'raise the question' when it should actually mean 'evade the question.' I see with dismay, in fact, that the wrong meaning is even in LEO!

Siehe Wörterbuch: beg question

(But again, if anyone wants to discuss it again, let's not do that here but in one of the threads on that topic.)

Miscollocations involving the choice of preposition are another fertile field for error, though no examples spring to mind at the moment.
#8Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 14 Nov 17, 19:49
Kommentar
This one's a little bit "inside baseball", primarily for political junkies. A member of Congress starts a question to an expert appearing before a committee with, "Is it my understanding that ...", as opposed to, "Do I correctly understand that ....".

[Inside baseball is AE, of course.]
#9VerfasserJurist (US) (804041) 14 Nov 17, 21:53
Kommentar
#9 *snicker*

Das deutsche Pendant zu Dragons #6 wäre wohl die Verwechslung von seid und seit, wobei seid die zweite Person Plural von sein ist, während seit eine Konjunktion oder Präposition ist, die einen Zeitpunkt/eine Zeitspanne angibt.
Ich würde mal vermuten, dass es mit der Auslautverhärtung zu tun hat, dass die Verwechslung (der ich mich auch selbst schon gelegentlich schuldig gemacht habe) in gefühlten 95 % der Fälle zugunsten von seit ausfällt.
#10VerfasserYarith (877626) 15 Nov 17, 09:05
Kommentar
Inside baseball is AE, of course. (#9)

What does it mean?
#11VerfasserStravinsky (637051) 15 Nov 17, 09:13
Kommentar
#10:
Oder die Verwechslung von "das" und "dass", gern auch ohne das obligatorische Komma. Und wenn man beides kombiniert, dann ergibt das:
Ich habe mich gefreut das ihr gekommen seit --> Ich habe mich gefreut, dass ihr gekommen seid.
#12Verfasserpenguin (236245) 15 Nov 17, 09:20
Kommentar
penguin, jetzt musste ich ganz hektisch noch mal prüfen, ob in meiner #10 auch alle Kommas und das/dass passen. ;) Das/dass ist aber auch so ein ver...maledeiter Flüchtigkeitsfehler, den man beim schnell Tippen gern mal macht.
Erschreckenderweise hatte ich in der Übersetzerausbildung Leute im Jahrgang, denen der Unterschied tatsächlich nicht begreiflich zu machen war. Die sind jetzt auch alle staatl. geprüft. Hm.
#13VerfasserYarith (877626) 15 Nov 17, 09:46
Kommentar
Ohne Muttersprachler zu sein, passiert mir gelegentlich there statt their und umgekehrt. Das ist aber meistens schlicht ein Tippfehler...
#14Verfasservirus (343741) 15 Nov 17, 09:53
Kommentar
Ein dt. Beispiel, das mir in den letzten Tagen mehrmals im Radio begegnet ist: scheinbar vs. anscheinend. Der Bedeutungsunterschied wird offensichtlich überhaupt nicht (mehr)) gesehen/verstanden/gekannt.
#15VerfasserSelima (107) 15 Nov 17, 10:18
Kommentar
Ich bekenne mich zur scheinbar/anscheinend-Legasthenie, egal wie oft ich das nachschlage, beim nächsten Mal habe ich es doch wieder vergessen, was wann verwendet wird. Gibt es da eine Eselsbrücke?
#16VerfasserSpinatwachtel (341764) 15 Nov 17, 10:24
Kommentar
2 meiner pet peeves:
der/die/das "einzigste"
he/she "should of" done something
#17Verfassereastworld (238866) 15 Nov 17, 10:30
Kommentar
Ich bekenne mich zur scheinbar/anscheinend-Legasthenie, egal wie oft ich das nachschlage, beim nächsten Mal habe ich es doch wieder vergessen, was wann verwendet wird. Gibt es da eine Eselsbrücke?

Die Scheinbar ist nur scheinbar eine Kneipe, in der man Geld bekommt :-).
#18VerfasserJanZ (805098) 15 Nov 17, 10:41
Kommentar
#16 Geht mir genauso. :(

Der Fehler "should of" ist mir völlig unverständlich. Wie kann man bitte "of" und "have" nicht auseinanderhalten? Ich vermute, das kann man nur als ENS nachvollziehen.
#19VerfasserPizzaburger (978634) 15 Nov 17, 10:41
Kommentar
#8 - Miscollocations involving the choice of preposition are another fertile field for error, though no examples spring to mind at the moment.

Based off - my toenails want to curl up every time I hear/see it.
#20Verfassercovellite (520987) 15 Nov 17, 10:42
Kommentar
Hm. Die hier genannte Eselsbrücke finde ich wenig hilfreich: https://www.merksaetze.net/deutsch/scheinbar-...

Vielleicht mit dem Scheinriesen Turtur? Der ist nur scheinbar ein Riese. Bei beiden taucht der Schein an erster Stelle auf.

Für mich läßt sich "anscheinend" nicht mit "nur" verbinden, im Gegensatz zu "scheinbar". Also:
Er ist anscheinend da. (Ich vermute, daß er da ist, denn sein Mantel hängt an der Garderobe. Ich habe aber nicht nachgesehen.) Er ist nur anscheinend da - funktioniert jedenfalls für mich gar nicht.

Er ist nur scheinbar da. (Es brennt zwar Licht, so daß man vermuten könnte, daß er da ist. Ich habe aber nachgesehen - er ist nicht da.)
#21VerfasserSelima (107) 15 Nov 17, 10:44
Kommentar
Der Fehler "should of" ist mir völlig unverständlich. Wie kann man bitte "of" und "have" nicht auseinanderhalten? Ich vermute, das kann man nur als ENS nachvollziehen.

Das habe ich mich auch schon gefragt. Ist das vielleicht einfach eine flüchtige Verwechslung zweier gleich klingender Wörter, so wie ich neuerdings auch manchmal "dass" statt "das" schreibe (umgekehrt nie), obwohl ich die beiden Wörter eigentlich sehr gut auseinanderhalten kann und es daher meist rechtzeitig merke?
#22VerfasserJanZ (805098) 15 Nov 17, 10:48
Kommentar
Anscheinend (nicht: scheinbar) sind in diesem Faden ja auch deutsche Muttersprachlerfehler gefragt. Hier zwei meiner Lieblingsaufreger:

1. Der Kasus des Relativsatzes wird vorausgreifend falsch in den Haupsatz  übernommen: Der Fernseher ist ganz gut, aber den, den wir gestern gesehen haben, gefiel mir besser. Das ist selbst dann falsch, wenn man das Subjekt im richtigen Kasus wiederholt: Ich liebe die Liebe, die Liebe liebt mich, doch den, den ich liebe, der liebt mich nicht.

2. Rückbezüge werden - ganz egal, welchen Kasus der Satz erfordert - in den Dativ gesetzt: Das war eine Entscheidung des Finanzministers Theo Waigel, dem letzten von der CSU. 
#23Verfasserdirk (236321) 15 Nov 17, 10:59
Kommentar
Scheinriese = Scheinbarer Riese - perfekt. Das vergesse ich nicht mehr!
#24VerfasserSpinatwachtel (341764) 15 Nov 17, 11:19
Kommentar
re: 19 and 22 - Der Fehler "should of" ist mir völlig unverständlich. Wie kann man bitte "of" und "have" nicht auseinanderhalten? Ich vermute, das kann man nur als ENS nachvollziehen.

In spoken English, the word 'of' and the abbreviated form of 'have' in constructions like will/would/could/should've done are practically homophones. People who make this mistake in writing probably just haven't read enough to have learned that the word they hear as 'of' is, in fact, 'have'.
#25Verfassercovellite (520987) 15 Nov 17, 11:46
Kommentar
'of' and 'have' are, in their weak forms, not 'practically' homophones but actual homophones. Hence those who never learnt much grammar would not see the difference. Of course non-native speakers generally have to have learnt some grammar if they are to learn the language at school, so this is less likely to be a problem for them.

We have to remember that 'island' was once a misspelling, due to a confusion with 'isle', and that 'isle' too was a misspelling of a quite different sort, a deliberate one introduced by the educated to demonstrate their erudition.

I've known classical scholars who've been to modern Greece and come home in a state of shock. (Curious, in a way, because they're not shocked by modern Italian. And modern French is based on Roman army slang.)
#26Verfasserescoville (237761) 15 Nov 17, 12:15
Kommentar
@20: Based off - my toenails want to curl up every time I hear/see it.

You can even raise it a notch or, if "raise" isn't clear enough, raise it up a notch to "based off of"!

I can also recommend "centered around" if you want to annoy a few people.

#27VerfasserSD3 (451227) 15 Nov 17, 12:28
Kommentar
Cannot written as two words when there is absolutely no reason to do so.
#28Verfassercovellite (520987) 15 Nov 17, 12:45
Kommentar
#2: My English is leaving me. The prepositions were the first to go...
#29VerfasserPipper (917363) 15 Nov 17, 13:34
Kommentar
#28 Das fällt mir auch immer öfter auf.
Aber abgesehen davon: Weiß jemand, woher das kommt, daß man "cannot" zusammenschreibt?
#30VerfasserSelima (107) 15 Nov 17, 14:12
Kommentar
Weiß jemand, woher das kommt, daß man "cannot" zusammenschreibt?
- Weil es so schön nach 'carrot' aussieht. ;-) .... Nein, ich meine, weil das zusammengezogene can't einfach vor Augen steht: can't - cannot
#32VerfasserBraunbärin (757733) 15 Nov 17, 15:49
Kommentar
So wie bei "don't - donot"? ;-)
#33VerfasserSelima (107) 15 Nov 17, 15:57
Kommentar
Nein, da merkt's ja jeder. Sieht einfach zu anders aus, spräche sich zu sehr wie 'donut' ...
#34VerfasserBraunbärin (757733) 15 Nov 17, 16:06
Kommentar
This no doubt falls into #8's category of pet peeves, but I boycott grocery stores that have signs for 'can' vegetables and 'bottle' beer.
#35VerfasserJurist (US) (804041) 15 Nov 17, 16:17
Kommentar
Das ist wahrscheinlich das englische Pendant zu Gemüse Konserven und Flaschen Bier.
#36VerfasserJanZ (805098) 15 Nov 17, 16:36
Kommentar
Edit #35
I expect canned vegetable; bottled beer
#37VerfasserJurist (US) (804041) 15 Nov 17, 16:45
Kommentar
The reverse mistake -- often seen here -- is making an advanced booking or giving advanced notice of something.
#38VerfasserHecuba - UK (250280) 15 Nov 17, 17:04
Kommentar
Elbphilharmonie recently invited "advanced" ticket bookings on their site.
#39Verfasserpenguin (236245) 15 Nov 17, 17:23
Kommentar
"Can vegetables" habe ich noch nie gesehen, war aber auch lange in keinem englischen Lebensmittelladen.

Was mich -- auch in seriösen Medien -- immer häufiger nervt, ist ein logisch falscher Plural bei kind oder type of...
Because of ... the fact that other exoplanets have been found around these types of stars, red dwarfs are being studied... (CNN)
Es geht nur um einen Typ Stern, nämlich die Roten Zwergsterne. Aber muss es nun heißen this type of star oder ...of stars?? Alle Varianten sind zu finden.

...these type of situations ...
... a model of the kinds of lighthearted toasts that are ...
There is all sorts of discussions ...
... a lot of abuse from these kind of people ... [das heißt wörtlich nicht "solche Leute", sondern eigentlich "diese X, die so was ähnliches wie Leute sind"]

#40VerfassersebastianW (382026) 15 Nov 17, 17:31
Kommentar
have been found around these types of stars, (#40)

But it's not quite as bad as "these type of stars".
Edith:
Sorry – I didn't quite get as far as your last paragraph.

Edith2:
There is all sorts of discussions ...
I hear that a lot in Australia.
#41VerfasserStravinsky (637051) 15 Nov 17, 17:44
Kommentar
I just heard a preposition one:

take offense *to sth.
(correct: take offense at sth.)

I'm still thinking about 'kind(s) of,' 'type(s) of,' etc. As with many singular / plural issues, there may be some difference in convention between English and German that doesn't necessary involve mathematical logic.

I think the way I learned it was that it should be 'this kind of book' or 'these kinds of books,' but not a mixture of singular and plural.

'There's' or 'There is' used with a plural noun is a pet peeve of a lot of people, including some of us who have commented in threads in the archive. But there are a lot more people who just use it regardless.
#42Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 16 Nov 17, 01:54
Kommentar
'There's' or 'There is' used with a plural noun is a pet peeve of a lot of people ... I'm one of those people who love doing that, but I do it on purpose. I actually know better, but I think it's how a lot of people (Americans?) talk, and in a lot of the writing I do, I take on a more casual approach because that's what our readership seems to prefer. A lot of them aren't college graduates, but you sure can't fool them when it comes to the technical intricacies of motorcycles.

Personally, my biggest pet peeve is hypercorrection. When people say stuff like, "He told John and I ...," that drives me up the wall, and when I see it in writing, my head explodes. I often correct friends and relatives, whether they like it or not. Them's the rules. :-)
#43Verfasserdude (253248) 16 Nov 17, 03:05
Kommentar
... und zwischen "this kind of book" und "these kinds of books" gibt es keinen Unterschied? "We sell many novels with historical subjects. This kind of book is especially popular with middle-aged school teachers." Ist es sehr deutsch, wenn ich da niemals "these kinds" sagen würde, genauso wie bei den "red dwarfs" -- this type of star, weil ja nur ein Typus gemeint ist? Aber: "Red dwarfs and brown dwarfs -- these kinds of stars belong to the main sequence of stars."
#44VerfassersebastianW (382026) 16 Nov 17, 03:16
Kommentar
und zwischen "this kind of book" und "these kinds of books" gibt es keinen Unterschied? - Doch, natürlich. "This kind of book" bezieht sich normalerweise (muss aber nicht) auf ein einzelnes Buch, oder eine Art von Buch. "These kinds of books" bezieht sich dementsprechend auf mehrere (verschiedene) Arten von Büchern.
#45Verfasserdude (253248) 16 Nov 17, 03:23
Kommentar
I've probably said it before, but never mind. There are deviations from some imposed standard (imposed by whom is often difficult to determine) and if we accept the standard, we'll be peeved by the deviation, although the standard may arbitrary. I am peeved by 'less' with plurals, but that is fairly irrational, because 'more' is used with plurals and uncountables alike. As an editor I clearly change 'can not' to 'cannot', but that is equally arbitrary. What is more insidious is when meaning gets lost or blurred. 'Advanced' as against 'advance' is an example; compare to/with is another (Shall I compare thee with a summer's day?!), may/might is another, quite apart from common malapropisms. I have mellowed with age regarding the first sort of error, but have become more censorious (or 'judgemental' to use the modish word) about the second.
#46Verfasserescoville (237761) 16 Nov 17, 12:57
Kommentar
So ähnlich geht es mir auch (wundert mich allerdings, dass du, der sich sonst immer so konservativ gebärdet, das genauso siehst). Wobei ich selten Fehlern begegne, durch die die Bedeutung wirklich "lost or blurred" wird. Meist weiß man sehr wohl, was gemeint ist (wenn man ehrlich ist, auch bei den berühmten Beispielen mit "ihre/Ihre" und "anscheinend/scheinbar"). Am ärgerlichsten finde ich meist kreative Zeichensetzung wie das Weglassen von Kommas oder Bindestrichen, das führt nämlich oft dazu, dass ich mehrmals lesen muss. Ansonsten gibt es vieles, bei dem sich mir die Zehennägel aufrollen, aber das betrachte ich zunehmend als mein Problem.
#47VerfasserJanZ (805098) 16 Nov 17, 13:40
Kommentar
re: #46 and #47 - Regardless of whether a particular standard is arbitrary or not (English spelling anyone?) or whether contravention of these standards results in a blurring of meaning, it can't hurt for native and non-native speakers alike to be aware of them and of the fact the breaching these standards can leave an unwanted/undesirable impression on certain audiences, wouldn't you agree?

For me, it's better to make a conscious choice not to comply with a rule that one regards as pure pedantry and accept the consequences than continue making a mistake out of pure ignorance.
#48Verfassercovellite (520987) 16 Nov 17, 14:03
Kommentar
Um noch zwei Fehler aufzuzeigen, die man auch im Deutschen relativ häufig sieht:

Plural-s durch Apostroph abgetrennt. Das Apostroph ist ein Auslassungszeichen. Hier wurde aber höchstens das Nachdenken ausgelassen.
Auch wenn "das" und "dass" völlig verschiedene Rollen in einem Satz einnehmen, scheinen es immer noch genug Leute falsch zu machen. (gut, der ist nicht ganz so unauffällig)

Ach und zu #16: ich hab mir das immer so gemerkt, dass der Anschein was reales sein kann, das zwar die Realität verschleiern könnte wie ein Anstrich (z.B. eines Hauses), ein Schein aber immer trügt. Deshalb gibt es ja Geldscheine (deren akzeptierter Wert nichts mit dem realen Wert aus Papier und Druckerfarbe zu tun hat) und keine Geldanscheine.
Dass man in einer Bar nur betrogen wird, und deshalb die Schein-Bar doppelt gemoppelt ist, wäre dann auch noch eine Gedächtnisstütze.
Wem das noch nicht reicht, der erinnere sich an "Mehr Schein als Sein". Den Spruch gibt es nicht als "Mehr Anschein...", wodurch der direkte Gegensatz aus Schein und Sein erkennbar ist.
#49Verfasserm.dietz (780138) 16 Nov 17, 14:15
Kommentar
@48: I agree entirely.
#50VerfasserSD3 (451227) 16 Nov 17, 14:18
Kommentar
Confusion of the verbs overtake and take over:

The Siege of Sinuessa was a major event during the Third Servile War, where Spartacus and his rebels overtook (sic) the city.
#51Verfassercovellite (520987) 17 Nov 17, 13:02
Kommentar
Vielleicht musste die Stadt halt mal (general)überholt werden ...
#52VerfasserJanZ (805098) 17 Nov 17, 13:15
Kommentar
Ich kenne mindestens zwei ENS-Blogger, die ganze Serien führen, in denen sie solche Fehler erklären, wobei ich mich auch oft frage, wie man das überhaupt verwechseln kann. Offenbar ist für viele ENS allen Ernstes serial/cereal schon ein Problem oder accept/except. Leider warte ich immer noch vergeblich darauf, dass mir einer der Blogger mal eine Eselsbrücke baut, wie ich endlich mein persönliches Hasswortpaar discrete/discreet auseinander halten kann.
#53VerfasserCuauhtlehuanitzin (1009442) 18 Nov 17, 10:24
Kommentar
wie ich endlich mein persönliches Hasswortpaar discrete/discreet auseinander halten kann

How about: discrete means separate, and the two e's in it are separate.
#54VerfasserHecuba - UK (250280) 18 Nov 17, 10:46
Kommentar
Re #48

Language is based on convention and I certainly think conventions should (on the whole) be adhered to. Particularly spelling conventions, because adults read by recognizing word shapes and these depend crucially on the right letters in the right order.
However, there are undoubtedly rules which are invented seemingly for the purpose of dividing the sheep from the goats. The 'split infinitive' rule is one such. I've no idea where it came from, and 100 years ago Fowler was already denouncing it as a pseudo-rule. Yet there are still people who get very hot under the collar about it. Rules about not beginning sentences with 'and' or 'but' serve no useful purpose either. One could think of others in this vein.
Things like less/fewer, wegen with gen./dat. are different in that they have perfectly good historical roots, and were not 'invented'; however, it seems to me that they are totally harmless and not worth getting one's knickers in a twist about.
#55Verfasserescoville (237761) 18 Nov 17, 14:26
i Nur registrierte Benutzer können in diesem Forum posten

LEO benutzt Cookies, um das schnellste Webseiten-Erlebnis mit den meisten Funktionen zu ermöglichen. Es werden teilweise auch Cookies von Diensten Dritter gesetzt. Weiterführende Informationen erhalten Sie in den Hinweisen zu den Nutzungsbedingungen / Datenschutz (Cookies) von LEO.