Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

Language lab

family = ein Familienmitglied / Angehörige(r) ?

Topic

family = ein Familienmitglied / Angehörige(r) ?

Comment

the Queen was the first family Harry called after Lilibet’s birth

https://twitter.com/scobie/status/14025203113...

Wie häufig/akzeptiert ist eine solche Verwendung von family im Sinne einer Einzelperson?

Auch LEO kennt family -- der Angehörige | die Angehörige, ich finde eine derartige Verwendung allerdings allerdings nicht in den großen einsprachigen Wörterbüchern (Oxford-Lexico, CALD, Collins, MW, AHD) verzeichnet.

Author lingua franca (48253)  14 Jun 21, 12:47
    Comment

You're / he's family usw. habe ich oft gehört - die Verwendung für Einzelpersonen ist zumindest informell üblich.

#1Author mbshu (874725)  14 Jun 21, 12:55
    Comment

I'd say it's rather casual, almost too casual for this context, but, yes, it's fine. I'd say, "He's the only family I have", or "he's family", meaning he's a family member or relative.

#2AuthorJaymack (805011) 14 Jun 21, 14:38
    Comment
    Danke Euch. Wollen andere noch etwas beitragen?
    #3Author lingua franca (48253) 21 Jun 21, 00:01
    Comment

Hmm. I agree with the examples in #1 and #2, and I suppose the singular noun Familienmitglied would be one way to translate them.

However, I don't really think it explains the underlying syntax, because I don't think the English word is really being used as a noun. It feels to me more like an adjective, because after all, it's not countable. You could never use the indefinite article; we do not say 'She's *a family.'

So to understand the English syntax, you might need to make up an adjective like 'familienverwandt,' or else use a paraphrase like 'sie ist Teil der Familie' or 'sie gehört der Familie.'

And I'm not actually sure I even approve of the tweet in the opening post, which probably should have read 'she was the first relative / the first family member he called.' Again, I don't think I would use 'family' in this sense with an article at all. To me, the first family is 'die erste Familie' (bzw. the First Family / die Erste Familie meaning the occupants of the White House).

Not sure if that helps, but fwiw.

(OT: BTW, I can only imagine that the queen's heart probably sank at the use of her very informal childhood name as a formal given name, not to mention the pairing of it with the name of a daughter-in-law from whom she had been estranged. Why they didn't just have the good sense to name the child Lily and say that it reminded them of Elizabeth, I can't imagine.)

#4Author hm -- us (236141)  21 Jun 21, 04:18
    Comment

Anything novel usage that leads to misunderstanding at first reading, as this does, is not acceptable in my view.

#5Author Martin--cal (272273) 21 Jun 21, 05:26

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt