Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

Language lab

"urgency" vs. "sense of urgency"

Topic

"urgency" vs. "sense of urgency"

Comment

Hi all, I was wondering if "urgency" alone works in the same way that "sense of urgency" does when you want to praise someone for having been proactive etc. E.g., does "Thank you for having done this with urgency." sound right to you? Thanks!

Author TurboHL (1368340)  05 Oct 22, 12:49
    Comment

No, it does not sound right to me (as a speaker of American English, BE usage may differ).

I can see why you'd ask, though, because urgent is a tricky word.

It is often used to mean "high priority" or "top priority" (the classic example: urgent action, which I understand as urgent[ly needed] action), but for me, anyway, its primary meaning is "calling for immediate attention". And urgency is the state/quality of being urgent. In your sentence, "you" did not do something with urgency, it was the something (or the need to do something) that was urgent.

I think you'd want to say:

Thank you for

recognising the urgency of this matter and taking swift action

for prioritising this matter

for giving this matter the immediate attention it deserved

or something along those lines.

#1AuthorAE procrastinator (1268904) 05 Oct 22, 13:29
    Comment

Ich würde allerdings auch auf Deutsch nicht sagen: "Danke, dass Sie das mit Dringlichkeit getan haben." Das klingt ebenso schräg, finde ich.

#2Author Gibson (418762) 05 Oct 22, 14:15
    Comment

Hi AE procrastinator, thank you very much - it´s so frustrating that I make so many mistakes...

So would you say that: "Thank you for having done this with a sense of urgency." sounds ok?

#3Author TurboHL (1368340)  05 Oct 22, 18:04
    Comment

Dann musst du eben länger warten.

#4Author Gibson (418762) 05 Oct 22, 19:08

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt