Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Übersicht

Sprachlabor

in future / in the future

Betrifft

in future / in the future

Kommentar
    Just a question for BE speakers. Do you always use "in future" or is it also possible to say "in the future" in BE.

Also, do you always use single quotes ( ' as opposed to " ) in sentences like:

The villages were subject to 'pacification'.

Thanks.
    Verfasserbluehat (AE)04 Nov. 04, 11:38
    Kommentar
    google gets 1750 for 'in the future' searching .uk .ie .nz .au
    and 687 for 'in future' using the same criteria.

i've never thought about it before, but my gut-feeling is that they are interchangeable in most contexts, and i'd not hesitate to use one or the other indiscriminately.

as to single apostrophes versus quotation marks ' ' v. " ", my *personal* way of using them is: single apostrophes for single words or phrases where the pedigree of the word is uncertain, where the word is of foreign origin, or where the word is written wrongly, and i want to emphasise the fact that the word is not _mine_ = equivalent to the use of (sic)

for direct quotation of written or spoken language i'd only use " "

all this without a technical guarantee!!! :)
    #1Verfasserodondon irl04 Nov. 04, 11:45
    Kommentar
    "in future" and "in the future" are DEFINITELY not interchangeable in BE.
    I would say the use is similar to German "in Zukunft" and "in der Zukunft" i.e. both have their correct use.

Having had a customer pass on a scathing comment by an American friend of his, I was unsure of my own Sprachgefühl and phoned my family in England. They laughed at the suggestion that one should say "in the future" -- "what a load of twaddle!" was the kind of reply I got.
    I must admit I don't know what to do when writing international English, because each sounds wrong on the other side of the pond.
    #2VerfasserGhol ‹GB›04 Nov. 04, 12:00
    Kommentar
    I agree with Ghol. "In future" means "from now on" and "in the future" means "in 2030" etc.
    #3VerfasserArchfarchnad -gb-04 Nov. 04, 12:57
    Kommentar
    So would you say:

We will publish this newsletter regularly in the future.

Or: in future.

#4Verfasserbluehat (AE)04 Nov. 04, 13:11
    Kommentar
    It depends on whether you are publishing regularly from now, or from some unspecified time in the future. If you mean "from this issue" or "from the next issue" I'd say "in future"; if you mean "whenever we are able to, perhaps starting next year" then "in the future".
    #5VerfasserArchfarchnad -gb-04 Nov. 04, 13:24
    Kommentar
    Thanks.
    This is becoming as confusing as some points in German. I guess this why AE leaves it out.
    #6Verfasserbluehat (AE)04 Nov. 04, 13:51
    Kommentar
    In my opinion "in future" is used in a general sense ('Be more careful in future'), whereas "in the future" is used when it is specified , e.g. by a following genetive: 'In the future of the European Community a lot of countries will have great chances.' (Here 'in future' doesn't work at all.)
    #7VerfasserReinhard W.04 Nov. 04, 18:01

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt