• Special characters

• Lautschrift

leo-ende
Advertisement
Topic

Genitiv besser mit " 's " ausdrücken oder anders?

2 replies    
Comment
Als ich for kurzem mit einem Muttersprachler geredet habe, hab ich ihn gefragt, was ihm denn so für typische Fehler oder Besonderheiten auffallen, wenn Deutsche Englisch reden. Eins der Dinge, die er genannt hat, war, dass Deutsche oft den Genitiv umschreiben mit "of", z.B.
She is the girlfriend of Steven. anstatt She's Steven's girlfrined.
Oder: That's the house of Tom. und nciht That's Tom's house.
Naja, ich hab da nciht so sehr drüber nachgedacht, aber jetzt muss ich grad etwas auf Englisch verfassen und mir fällt auf, dass ich sehr oft auch den Genitiv mit "of" ausdrücke. Jetzt meine frage: Ist es im Schriftenglisch auch besser, die of-Umschreibung eher zu vermeiden oder gilt das nur für das gesprochene Englisch. was wirkt denn stilistisch besser?
Authorrd23 Jan 05, 18:27
Comment
"of" for things
's for people

is the general, simplified rule:

* the back of the chair
* Steven's back

(Another point in this special case: if you say "I'm happy to see the back of Steven" it means "I am happy to see Steven leaving". If you say "I am happy to see Steven's back" it means either a) I have no problems looking at his back, or b) I'm happy to see Steven has returned.)

So it isn't a question of style, but of meaning and grammar. Of course it's more complicated than the general rule, though. I'll have a look and see if I can find some more rules.
#1AuthorArchfarchnad -gb-23 Jan 05, 18:39
Comment
OK, here's a good list of rules.
http://lookingahead.heinle.com/filing/handout...
#2AuthorArchfarchnad -gb-23 Jan 05, 18:54
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum

LEO uses cookies in order to facilitate the fastest possible website experience with the most functions. In some cases cookies from third parties are also used. For further information about this subject please refer to the information under  Leo’s Terms of use / Data protection (Cookies)