• Lautschrift

leo-ende
Advertisement
Topic

Native Speaker???

17 replies    
Comment
Hello everybody,
I'll be very glad about any kind of help concerning this text. Was it written by a native speaker? Can you read out anything about the writer? Thank you very much!

Hi
Thank you for your e-mail and i am very sorry for the late answer but until today i didn't have acces to internet due to the bad weather! It is my doughter's car she just come home * Liverpool - United kingdom * She staid in germany . The car was bought from Germany ! It hasn't been involved in any types of accidents or abused in anyway it has Tuv paid until 03/2006 ! To register the car here will cost me to much So this is the reason for wich i want to sell it .I will be happy to pay the shipping cost , in this maner you can receive a inspection periode of 5 days to the car in wich you can test it , it is a german car with german documents !i am very sorry but the phone line is down because of the bad weather . but please if you have any questions e-mail them to me !
thank you
Authoranitul09 Mar 05, 19:37
Comment
I don't think that e-mail was written by a native speaker. It sounds to me like somebody who has lived in Germany and perhaps moved to England.
#1AuthorR.John Taylor09 Mar 05, 19:44
Comment
The level of English is good compared to the spelling - maybe the person learned English more by conversation than in school. He probably doesn't read much, either - not an academic! It sounds like an older person as there are no attempts at slang. He also walks with a slight limp and likes broccoli.
#2AuthorArchfarchnad -gb-09 Mar 05, 19:57
Comment
Archfarchnad -gb- Thank you very much for giving me your opinion... ;o)

Thank you for your help, I'm a little bit nervous because of the offer to buy a car, and I#m glad about any kind of help I can get...
#3Authoranitul09 Mar 05, 20:07
Comment
Wenn ich als Deutscher da mitreden darf ...

It has lots of spelling mistakes, and some grammatical errors, but I have seen worse from native speakers. Nonetheless, the missing "n" in "a inspection" is something typical for a foreigner; this rarely happens to native speakers (but of course could just be a typo). I do not see any other "typical" foreigner mistakes.

I suspect either a native speaker with poor education and poor language skills, or a foreigner who lives in England for a while. Agree with Archfarchnad about the age, but not with R. John Taylor to his suspect that he/she has lived in Germany, as somebody who lived in Germany would know that you don't "pay" the TÜV.

Etwas unseriös finde ich die Behauptung " the phone line is down because of the bad weather". So etwas gibt es in Amerika, aber doch nicht in UK, oder?
#4AuthorSophil09 Mar 05, 20:24
Comment
Ja, Sophil, so ging es mir auch. Natürlich kann es sich auch um einen abgelegenen Bauernhof handeln...? Aber warum geht dann das Internet noch? Komisch...

#5Authoranitul09 Mar 05, 20:54
Comment
Could I just mention that I know some people with dyslexia who also make spelling mistakes like these - even in their native language (educated people as well). However, I can't understand why people refuse to use a spell check, which would catch lots of the mistakes here.
#6AuthorEfroch09 Mar 05, 21:30
Comment
I suppose this guy wants you to buy a stolen car. I would not buy that car...
#7AuthorWolfi09 Mar 05, 22:11
Comment
The phone lines have been down in parts of Britain recently because of the "heavy" snowfall. Perhaps he went to the library or a friend's place to send the email: he apologises for taking so long because he didn't have access to the internet.

"So this is the reason for wich i want to sell it "
->English people normally say "the reason why" - this sounded foreign to me.

"I will be happy to pay the shipping cost , in this maner you can receive a inspection periode of 5 days to the car in wich you can test it"
->English people normally say "that way" not "in this manner". This also sounds foreign. "receive an inspection period": "receive" doesn't fit, "have" would be more normal.

English people wouldn't normally know about TÜV, they'd call it MOT.

So either a German or a dyslexic/drunk/stupid/peculiar English person. I wouldn't buy the car either, but then I don't know the circumstances.
#8AuthorArchfarchnad -gb-09 Mar 05, 22:15
Comment
It doesn't sound like a native, but it could be a Nigerian.
#9AuthorMike E.09 Mar 05, 22:29
Comment
@Efroch - Even a spell check wouldn't catch "staid", rather than stayed.
#10AuthorCarly 09 Mar 05, 22:32
Comment
Archfarchnad,
> English people wouldn't normally know about TÜV.

But if your daughter imported a German car that still has TÜV you would -- naming it MOT would be wrong, as the car hasn't passed it.
#11AuthorSophil09 Mar 05, 22:43
Comment
Just curious: Would a native speaker say that s/he is sorry 'for' the late answer instead of being sorry 'about' something, possibly the (late) 'response'? And what about the use of exclamation marks. To me, this looks very much like a German in disguise. And is it disguise? Did s/he claim to be British?

Having said this, I still wouldn't buy the car. Just gut feeling ...
#12Author6W.83609 Mar 05, 23:48
Comment
@6W.836: "Sorry for something" is colloquial and correct.
#13AuthorMartin (CA)10 Mar 05, 02:27
Comment
I agree, "sorry for" is as normal as "sorry about".

The strangest thing to my ears in the message is the "to" in "a inspection periode of 5 days to the car". Being in Iowa, I hear things like "Soybeans are up a quarter at five dollars to the bushel" (or whatever it is a bushel of soybeans actually costs) on the radio all the time...makes me want to ask, "If I evaluate 365 cars, does that mean I get five years to decide?" The person writing that message is either a foreigner, or completely whack (crazy).

I have no idea how expensive it might be to register a car in Britain, but, if it were stolen, I'm sure the "cost" would be much higher--I'd have a mechanic check it out, and have the police run the VIN number before I'd consider buying it.
#14AuthorTheodore (us)10 Mar 05, 05:42
Comment
Naja, wenn die deutschen Papiere dabei und ok sind, und das Auto noch TÜV hat, gibt's in Deutschland ja mit der Zulassung keine Probleme - unabhängig vom tatsächlichen Zustand.

Das es umständlich ist, ein deutsches Auto in GB anzumelden, ist glaubhaft - zumindest ist es umgekehrt auf jeden Fall so!

Hört sich für mich nach dreifachem Lesen nach Ausländer in England an - der ein deutsches Auto verkaufen will. Das er keine Ahnung vom TÜV hat, ist dann wohl normal. Wenn er aber Papiere hat, ist's wohl kaum geklaut.

Alles in allem schwer einzuschätzen...
#15AuthorKlüber10 Mar 05, 08:12
Comment
Bitte kauf dieses Auto NICHT!!!

Ich habe vor kurzem auch auf eine Gebrauchtwagen-Anfrage eine solch dubiose Mail(Text unten) erhalten - klein wenig andere Story aber ähnlich grausiges Englisch.
Das ganze ist IMHO Betrug (Nigeria-Connection?). Ich habe aus Spaß auf diese eMail geantwortet und erhielt dann eine weitere Mail (besseres Englisch diesmal) mit einem Link zu der(Fake?)-Seite eines angeblichen Treuhänders für Internet-Käufe - Recherchen nach dieser Firma mit Sitz in London waren erfolglos, die angebene Nummer nicht erreichbar. Mein Rat: Lass bloß die Finger davon.

"The car is still for salle.The reason wich I want to sell my car is that
I just moved in United Kingdom with my new wife, I just got merried andalso
I found a very good job here.It's very hard for me to drive this car here
cause they have other regulations and this week I found a car here wich
want to buy it, a uk model, but first I have to sell my car. My car it's
german model and also the papers.We gonna have a safe deal.If you
interested please get back to me to explain you the transaction.TUV untill 09/2006."

P.S Ich habe das auch dem Betreiber der Seite, auf der ich die Anzeige gefunden habe, gemeldet.
#16Authorseraphim10 Mar 05, 09:13
Comment
This is a Nigerian scam. Do not reply the email.
#17AuthorOpa10 Mar 05, 10:00
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum

LEO uses cookies in order to facilitate the fastest possible website experience with the most functions. In some cases cookies from third parties are also used. For further information about this subject please refer to the information under  Leo’s Terms of use / Data protection (Cookies)