•  
  • Betrifft

any more / anymore

Kommentar
    I frequently see "anymore" written nowadays and I have always felt uncomfortable with its usage. (Mother tongue English - UK)

In the UK "anymore" is increasingly used - often incorrectly in my opinion.
    I therefore did a Google search and found the following, which seemed to help me:

http://alt-usage-english.org/anymore.html

Do Leos agree with the analysis there? Do other GB native English speakers disklike "anymore" too? I think it's just one of those many words that I will have to get used to.
    VerfasserJenny06 Mai 06, 09:33
    Kommentar
    Es gab schon mehrere Diskussionen dazu:
      related discussion:any more vs anymore
    Falls der Link nicht funktioniert: In der Forumssuche 'anymore' eingeben...
    #1VerfasserNica (de)06 Mai 06, 14:13
    Kommentar
    "The difference in meaning considered useful by the third camp is that "anymore" is an adverb meaning "nowadays" or "any longer", while "any more" can be either adverb plus adjective, as in "I don't want any more pie", or adjective plus noun, as in "I don't want any more."

The difference between the two meanings is illustrated in the sentence: "I don't buy books anymore because I don't need any more books.""

I hadn't noticed this difference, and the link says it is more AE, so it's not surprising, but then again, I would find it odder to see "anymore" in the second position of the last sentence, so I must have subconsciously picked up the difference from reading American books.

Still, I can't see how this difference would be "useful" as I can't imagine any case where changing the spelling only (and not the word order or something else) would change a sentence's meaning (a minimal pair).
    #2VerfasserArchfarchnad -gb-06 Mai 06, 14:20
    Kommentar
    The distinction is useful simply because it reflects a difference in pronunciation.

As for a minimal pair, I guess you could construct a sentence like

I don't like you anymore/any more because...
    #3VerfasserThomasJ06 Mai 06, 16:11

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Tastatur

• Sonderzeichen

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt