• Sonderzeichen

• Lautschrift

leo-ende
Werbung
Betrifft

attorney / lawyer difference

11 Antworten   
Kommentar
Hallo, gibt es einen Unterschied zwischen Attorney und Lawyer?
einer mehr für Verträge und der andere mehr für Gerichtsverfahren ...?
doch wer ist welcher?
Danke.
VerfasserJürgen07 Aug 06, 21:55
Kommentar
There is no difference between an attorney and a lawyer. However, when I practiced law several years ago, I called myself an attorney because I thought it sounded better than calling myself a lawyer!

Law firms often identify themselves as "Name 1 & Name 2, Attorneys at Law."
#1VerfasserPenny Ames07 Aug 06, 22:09
Kommentar
Thank you, Penny Ames!
#2VerfasserJürgen09 Aug 06, 05:38
Kommentar
Correct if I'm wrong, but I've always thought that "lawyer" is the more general term for all those who have a degree in Law but do not necessarly work as an attorney.
You may not make the difference in everday language, but strictly speaking, lawyer describes the training of a person, attorney the profession.
#3Verfasserbaba (Ö)09 Aug 06, 07:57
Kommentar
I always thought 'attorney' was more American e.g.they have 'District Attorneys', the UK doesn't. But, that apart,a more common word in the UK is 'solicitor'.
#4VerfasserJGMcI09 Aug 06, 08:07
Kommentar
>>einer mehr für Verträge und der andere mehr für Gerichtsverfahren ...?

You're probably thinking of 'solicitor' and 'barrister,' which are both BE terms.

'Attorney' is AE and is just a more formal word for 'lawyer.'
#5Verfasserhm -- us09 Aug 06, 08:29
Kommentar
Another question:

Attorneys are mostly referred to "attorneys at law". Are there other attorneys (besides the "district attorneys") at all, i.e. can you be an attorney "at" something other than law?
#6VerfasserPeer09 Aug 06, 11:33
Kommentar
Peer, there are "patent attorneys" and "trademark attorneys", yes.
#7Verfasserweißnix09 Aug 06, 11:42
Kommentar
weißnix, I know, but what I wanted to know if there are "Attorneys at [....]" where the [....] is not law.
#8VerfasserPeer09 Aug 06, 11:44
Kommentar
Sorry, Peer.
#9Verfasserweißnix09 Aug 06, 11:45
Kommentar
Yes, a person can serve as an "attorney-in-fact" to act on someone else's behalf. The "attorney-in-fact" does not have to be a lawyer. It would be incorrect, however, to call a nonlawyer "attorney-in-fact" by the single word "attorney."

The document authorizing someone else to act for a person is called a "power of attorney." Someone might appoint an attorney-in-fact under a power of attorney to sign documents for him in his absence, or to take care of financial matters in case he is incapacitated.
#10VerfasserPenny Ames (AE)09 Aug 06, 11:51
Kommentar
@Peer: look at the wikipedia article under "attorney". Or course there are no guaranties, but I think the information is basically accurate.
"lawyer" is simply anyone with a law degree, maybe also passed the bar exam. They may or may not work representing clients. They could work in an advisory capacity for corporations or the government or even be a taxi driver. They are all "lawyers". An attorney, on the other hand, represents clients. "Attorney at law" is a formal designation.
In coll. AE at least this distinction is not strictly kept. "lawyer" is more common, "attorney" is more formal.
Example:
"You'll have to speak to my attorney about the matter" sounds very official whereas "Talk to my lawyer" is more informal.
HTH
I speak only for AE usage.
#11Verfasserwpr09 Aug 06, 11:59
i Nur registrierte Benutzer können in diesem Forum posten

LEO benutzt Cookies, um das schnellste Webseiten-Erlebnis mit den meisten Funktionen zu ermöglichen. Es werden teilweise auch Cookies von Diensten Dritter gesetzt. Weiterführende Informationen erhalten Sie in den Hinweisen zu den Nutzungsbedingungen / Datenschutz (Cookies) von LEO.