Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Topic

Teaspoon/tablespoon

Comment
    I have alwas been a little confused over the German usage for a teaspoon and tablespoon.

When drinking coffe;
    Gib mir bitte ein Tealöffel
    or
    Gib mir bitte ein Kaffeelöffel

When drinking tea
    or

When drinking chocolate milk
    or
    or
    Gib mir bitte ein Löffel or kleine Löffel

And the same with the tablespoon.
    Esslöffel, Suppenlöffel or Tafellöffel

The only logical one is the...
    dessert spoon > der Dessertlöffel (Or can it also be called Nachtischlöffel?)

I have always been stirring my coffee with a teaspoon, and if I had a coffeespoon would it taste better? : )
    AuthorGood morning!19 Jul 07, 06:04
    Comment
    Das deutsche Wort ist Teelöffel, nicht Tealöffel.

Teelöffel, Kaffelöffel und Dessertlöffel sind m.E. dasselbe (auch: "kleiner Löffel"). Die Wörter werden austauschbar verwendet, unabhängig vom Einsatzzweck des Löffels. Dasselbe gilt für Suppenlöffel und Esslöffel ("großer Löffel").
    #1Authordirk (236321) 19 Jul 07, 06:37
    Comment
    @dirk
    Oops sorry about the tea It's too early.

What is a "Kaffelöffel" : )
    #2AuthorGood morning19 Jul 07, 06:43
    Comment
    Oh ... erwischt!
    Das deutsche Wort ist natürlich Kaffeelöffel, nicht Kaffelöffel. :-)
    (Obwohl das manche so aussprechen)
    #3Authordirk (236321) 19 Jul 07, 06:58
    Comment
    ..genau:
    teaspoon ist der kleine Löffel, egal, was damit umgerührt wird: Kaffeelöffel, Teelöffel, Dessertlöffel... In Rezepten heißt es immer Teelöffel(TL)
    tablespoonist der große Löffel: Eßlöffel, Suppenlöffel, whatever..In Rezepten EL..
    #4AuthorUMG2 (328026) 19 Jul 07, 07:21
    Comment
    Dann gibt es noch den Moccalöffel, der ist deutlich kleiner als der Teelöffel und den Eierlöffel, der nicht aus Silber oder versilbert sein darf. Ob Teelöffel und Dessertlöffel wirklich das gleiche sind, bezweifle ich.
    #5Authorjudex (239096) 19 Jul 07, 07:39
    Comment
    [völlig OT] und wenn ich jetzt noch fünf mal das Wort "Löffel" lese, weiß ich gleich gar nicht mehr, was denn dieses völlig bescheuert klingende Wort eigentlich bezeichnet ;-) [/völlig OT]
    #6AuthorChaja (nicht eingestöpselt)19 Jul 07, 07:40
    Comment
    @judex

The "Dessertlöffel" has a flatter front. not so round and not as deep as a Teelöffel. : )
    #7AuthorGood morning19 Jul 07, 07:46
    Comment
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%B6ffel#Arten

Und:
    Herkunft:
    von indogermanisch: *lab(h), *lap(h) - schlürfend, schnalzend, schmatzend lecken zum althochdeutschen Verb: laffan, mittelhochdeutsch: laffen; Instrumentalbildung zu diesem, im Neuhochdeutschen untergegangen Verb.
    #8AuthorUMG2 (328026) 19 Jul 07, 07:59
    Comment
    teaspoon,dessertspoon and tablespoon as well as being spoons are measures used in baking or cooking. Nowadays they are not always in the form of spoons,but in plastic and used purely for measurng and are varying shapes.
    In Ireland it was not the custom to let a visitor leave without being offered a cup of tea. In Belfast when I grew up, it was always advisable to indicate your intention to leave well in advance, for that parting cup of tea could take some time.On being offered a cup of tea,it was no use politely saying 'no thanks' for the host's response to that would be 'ach,go on,just take a wee drop of tea on your knee or just take a wee drop in your hand'. This confused many cross-the-water-people (English)for 'go on' did not mean 'go on'(continue) on your journey, it meant 'ach go on,change your mind'.A wee drop 'on your knee' or 'in your hand' meant you wouldn't have to sit at table it would be given to you in cup and saucer that you could hold in your hand or on your knee.Alas,the visitor who accepted was not aware that
    this would also be accompanied by a plate of sandwiches.
    My mother used to think the English were 'disgusting' because when they offered you a cup of tea, a cup of tea was all you got. Their tea was
    what was known as 'shamrock tea'- three tea leaves to the pot. Her tea
    had 'to sit a wee while' until the spoon could stand up in it.
    Sorry,I did not mean to get carried away there.I suppose now you'll think I'm 'a desparit, oul blether who could talk the leg off a stool.
    #9AuthorJGMcI (349178) 19 Jul 07, 09:12
    Comment
    In Ostfriesland kriegst Du so lange Tee, bis Du den Löffel in die leere Tasse tust. Das ist das Signal für "Stopp! Halt! Danke! Genug!"..
    #10AuthorUMG2 (328026) 19 Jul 07, 09:17
    Comment
    @UMG2

...oder bis man den Löffel abgiebt? :-)
    #11AuthorDSSS19 Jul 07, 09:27
    Comment
    Question: Has anyhting funny ever happened to you in connection with spoons?
    #12AuthorBacon [de] (264333) 19 Jul 07, 09:34
    Comment
    @Bacon

Yes, we had no knives and had to cut our bacon with a spoon : )
    #13AuthorGood morning19 Jul 07, 09:38
    Comment
    Jill! Good morning to you!
    #14AuthorBacon [de] (264333) 19 Jul 07, 09:39
    Comment
    *Can`tresistsuchaquestion*
    Last night, I went with some friends out to a new restaurant, and noticed that the waiter who took our order carried a spoon in his shirt pocket. It seemed a little strange. When the busboy brought our water and utensils, I noticed he also had a spoon in his shirt pocket. Then I looked around I saw that all the staff had spoons in their pockets.

When the waiter came back to serve our soup I asked, "Why the spoon?"

"Well," he explained, "the restaurant's owners hired a consulting firm to revamp all our processes. After several months of analysis, they concluded that the spoon was the most frequently dropped utensil. It represents a drop frequency of approximately 3 spoons per table per hour. If our personnel are better prepared, we can reduce the number of trips back to the kitchen and save 15 man-hours per shift."

As luck would have it, I dropped my spoon and he was able to replace it with his spare. "I'll get another spoon next time I go to the kitchen instead of making an extra trip to get it right now."

I was impressed! I also noticed that there was a string hanging out of the waiter's fly.

Looking around, I noticed that all the waiters had the same string hanging from their flies. So before he walked off, I asked the waiter, "Excuse me, but can you tell me why you have that string right there?"

"Oh, certainly!" Then he lowered his voice. "Not everyone is so observant... That consulting firm I mentioned also found out that we can save time in the restroom. By tying this string to the end of our "you know what," we can pull it out without touching it and eliminate the need to wash our hands, shortening the time spent in the restroom by 76.39 percent."

"Hhmmm...After you get it out, how do you put it back?" I asked.

"Well," he whispered, "I don't know about the others... but I use the spoon."

#15Authormyklausunna (236435) 19 Jul 07, 09:40
    Comment
    @Good morning:

Auf Deutsch heißt es:
    "Gib mir bitte einEN Löffel!" (Akkusativ!)
    #16AuthorMiMo (236780) 19 Jul 07, 09:42
    Comment
    @mykl: *lol*
    #17AuthorUMG2 (328026) 19 Jul 07, 09:46
    Comment
    spoonerism = Spoonerismus, Kunstrichtung bei der die Farbe mit einem Löffel aufgetragen wird.
    #18Authorjudex (239096) 19 Jul 07, 10:28
    Comment
    Collins has "spoonerism" as "lustiger Versprecher" Hmm.
    #19AuthorGood morning19 Jul 07, 10:39
    Comment
    Guten Morgen Good morning, schon ganz wach ?
    #20Authorjudex (239096) 19 Jul 07, 10:51
    Comment
    @judex

nicht ganz, erst ab Freitag nachmittag! : )
    #21AuthorGood morning19 Jul 07, 11:06
    Comment
    Tee- und Kaffelöffel sind nicht dasselbe.
    Teelöffel sind kleiner als die für Kaffee und typischerweise aus Silber (zumindest in Ostfriesland)
    #22AuthorCarmen31 Aug 09, 15:09
    Comment
    Das ist ja zum Totlachen - klasse!

Ja, der Teelöffel ist tatsächlich etwas kleiner als der Kaffeelöffel - allerdings besitzt ihn kaum jemand!

Das deutsche 08/15-Standard-Besteck hat nämlich nur einen kleinen Löffel, und das ist der Kaffeelöffel.

Ein Dessertlöffel dagegen ist Bestandteil des Dessertbestecks - auch das hat in D kaum jemand. Es ist etwas kleiner als das normale Menü-Besteck aber deutlich größer als z.B. Kaffeelöffel und Kuchengabel.

Und dann gibt es noch das Tafelbesteck. Es ist größer als ein Menü-Besteck (und meist auch deutlich schöner), aber leider nur in der gehobenen Preisklasse zu kriegen.

Sag' bitte nicht, das verwirrt Dich jetzt ;-)
    #23AuthorMiniMoritz11 Nov 09, 15:46

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt