Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Topic

Euro / Euros

Comment
    I'm sure there must have been a thread on this at some point, but I can't find it in the Archive. I'm translating a text on the organization of world sport event, so there are lots millions being quoted (in Fließtext). In the German text it's 25,6 Mio Euro - but is it Euros or Euro in English ? That's what happens when you're only confronted with "new" words in German.

My apologies now, if all this has been discussed before, but would appreciate the link. Thanks!
    AuthorTete <GB>22 May 03, 08:29
    Comment
    I do remember reading several times that there is a general agreement that the currency euro should not be capitalised and should not take a plural ending in English in any official documents. That is esp. the case in EU terminology but I have come across it in a MS Style Guide as well. So I would say you're on the save side without the s.
    #1Authorskye22 May 03, 08:45
    Comment
    My British colleagues always use the expression Euros.
    #2Authoreva-maria22 May 03, 14:57
    Comment
    Tete:
    I come across both here in uk, about 50/50. Officially no s and small, I think. Safe to use the euro symbol.

eva-maria: heißt du emanuel?
    #3AuthorTimm F22 May 03, 15:17
    Comment
    Nein, ich heiße nicht Emmanuel sondern Eva-Maria !!!
    #4AuthorEva-Maria22 May 03, 15:40
    Comment
    Im Deutschen ist es folgendermassen (laut Amtsblatt der Europäischen Union):
    100 Euro => der Schrank kostet 100 Euro (so auch auf den Geldscheinen !)
    100 Euros => 100 mal eine 1-Euro-Münze.

#5AuthorBritta15 Jun 03, 12:19
    Comment
    #6AuthorWH15 Jun 03, 14:45
    Comment
    @WH: In dem von Ihnen angegebenen Link scheint es um die Frage zu gehen, ob das Währungszeichen vor oder hinter dem Betrag stehen muß/kann/darf/soll, - die ursprüngliche Frage hier ging doch um den Plural von "Euro"
    #7AuthorBritta15 Jun 03, 16:24
    Comment
    ... ach ja, und - laut EU-Kommission - soll das, was ich oben unter Deutsch angeführt hatte, auch für's Englische gelten
    #8AuthorBritta15 Jun 03, 16:28
    Comment
    Please point your browser to:
    http://europa.eu.int/comm/economy_finance/eur...

and

http://europa.eu.int/comm/economy_finance/eur...

The plural form is exactly without the "s". However, there are campaigns running for to add an "s" for the plural form of the Euro.
    #9AuthorAtilla Karaman16 Jun 03, 00:32
    Comment
    I think it must be the same as with dollars:

German: 100 Dollar
    English: 100 dollars

German: 100 Euro
    English: 100 euros
    #10AuthorKarsten (FR)16 Jun 03, 08:32
    Comment
    Ich finde, das ist eine allgemeine Frage, wie mit Einheiten umgegangen wird. Mir als Naturwissenschaftlerin wird ja immer ganz flau wenn Einheiten ins Plural gesetzt werden, ganz egal ob Euros,Kilos,Volts,DPIs oder wasauchimmer.
    Das sollte doch eigentlich (zumindest im wissenschaftlichen Zusammenhang)international gleich sein.
    Die Frage ist, gibt es im Englischen oder Deutschen "durch Mehrheitsbeschluss" anerkannte Ausnahmen?
    #11AuthorCJ de16 Jun 03, 11:14
    Comment
    "1.000.000 Euros" will do for 1.000.000 1-EUR-coins. Ya know, that's the burden which millionaires have to carry ;-)
    #12AuthorKlaus17 Jun 03, 19:30
    Comment
    I have followed this thread with interest, without feeling qualified enough to contribute. I did start a thread in the past on a similar topic, where I mentioned that a quick check of the British government site showed "pound" and "pounds" being used with and without capitalisation. My personal experience is that the plural "s" is almost always used in BE, and that in normal writing (I worked in a bank for 10 years) the currency symbol comes before the amount. Whereas I am perfectly ready to admit that officialdom would like to have it otherwise, my experience is as stated above.
    #13AuthorKevin17 Jun 03, 22:06
    Comment
    In an earlier follow-up (must have been this thread, but my posting disappeared somehow), I stated, what Atilla Karaman points out (see links given): There is a clear rule by the EU, that the plural of "Euro" should be "Euro" (just to avoid any ambiguity). ("CJ de" should be happy with this clear regulation!)

@Klaus: I never used (and never saw) "127 Marks" for "127 Mark-Münzen", so why should I use "63 Euros" instead of "63 Euro-Münzen" ("63 Euro coins")?

May be language usage will change once UK has adopted the Euro, but so far the official version is that the plural of Euro is Euro (with distinct exceptions).

#14AuthorWH17 Jun 03, 22:45
    Comment
    If you mean the coins you write Euros i.e. "There are 3 Euros in my pocket.", meaning you have 3 1-Euro coins (or 1 2-Euro and 1 1-Euro coin).
    If you give reference to an amount of money i.e. "This week's lottery gave about 3 million Euro to the winner." you say Euro without "s". That's the way it is officially dealt in German speaking regions. Personally, I prefer the "Euro" spelling (so without the "s"). I don't know about the capitalisation of Euro/euro. I would write it "Euro".
    #15Author2 Cent dispenser18 Jun 03, 08:51
    Comment
    Agree with Kevin, and am puzzled by skye's comment that it 'should' be this or that way (unless you're a prescriptivist, skye). Once can bellyache all one wants to about how people 'should' pronounce or say something, but the plural-Euro game is already settled in English usage, and it's "euros".

It's hardly difficult to see why, if you look at the analogy to practically any other currency that has a name in English that yields itself to English-style pluralization: dollars, marks, franks, swiss francs, pounds, drachmas, rubles, riyals, shekels and so on.

But words that look sufficiently 'foreign' or similar to exceptions in English may take no plural: zloty (zloties looks wrong because it loses the 'y', zlotys looks wrong because we don't like -ys plurals, so we just leave it alone), yen (looks like men? plus, the value of the currency is such, that we hardly ever have occasion to talk about it in the singular, so 'yen' already 'sounds' plural).

There is no such problem with Euro, and if you took a hundred (AE) English-speaking children of three or four years old, pointed to a stuffed rabbit and said, "This is a 'euro'. Now there are two of them--I have two ------," I'm convinced that every last one of them would say "euros". (Free dinner in the city of your choice if anyone tries this out and proves me wrong. Pretty sure the outcome would be the same in the UK, but I'll wait to hear about that.)

This plural is very compelling to a native English speaker, and no amount of blather from official publications is going to change that. If they wanted a no -s ending, they should've called it a 'eury' or something (Russians would've loved that...)
    #16AuthorPeter <us>18 Jun 03, 23:24
    Comment
    Ich glaube auch, daß die Leute den Ausdruck verwenden, den sie wollen, und nicht den, den die EU vorschreibt. Und was die Leute verwenden, gilt (früher oder später).
    In Italien haben sie keine Euro und Cent, sondern Euro und centesimi, EU hin oder her.
    #17Authorminjong19 Jun 03, 09:23
    Comment
    Quid

1 Quid
    2 Quid
    #18AuthorBandit19 Jun 03, 10:06
    Comment
    Just had a quick scan of the latest Economist (usually a good source):

If you are writing about the currency in general it is 'euro' as in:

"Many Europeans are glad that Britain is hesitating over the euro"

If you need to mention a specific amount, then the symbol should be used as in:

"Mr Möllemann said he had provided €840,000 out of his own pocket."

And I reckon @Peter <us> has it spot on. If you had to talk about a general quantity, you would add an s on, as in:

"That'll cost a shedload of euros"

@Skye is probably right, and the 'official' english plural is without an s, because it sounds more 'European', but it cannot survive long once the natives get their hands on it.

If you said to someone "That'll cost a shedload of euro" in Britain, you'd get the answer "a shedload of euro what?" Probably followed by a few choice suffixes added to 'euro' to suggest what you could do with them.

#19AuthorIan19 Jun 03, 11:45
    Comment
    I have found that people in Ireland tend to refer to 'euro' when using it in the plural form and don't add the 's' on the end.
    #20AuthorCJ uk19 Jun 03, 11:58
    Comment
    At the risk of having @Bandit jumping on me - I did a quick google for euro and euros on both site:.ie and site :.uk

For both, after several pages of looking, I couldn't find any usage of euro for a plural amount.

The top three references for 'euros' on the UK side were: The Observer, BBC, BBC.

Working in germany, I am personally comfortable with the sound of a plural euro in english, but I'm sure that the overwhelming weight of usage will rapidly undermine the political correctness of the 'official' rule, especially once the British stop thinking of it as an alien currency and start mentally accepting it.
    #21AuthorIan19 Jun 03, 12:41
    Comment
    @Ian

No, I wasn't suggesting that Brits/Anglos wouldn't use 'Euros'... you're right that it sounds much more natural to English speakers. My point was that there are British monetary units which do not take the 's' for plural.

Quid is a widely used expression in UK/Aus/NZ. ;-)
    #22AuthorBandit 19 Jun 03, 16:01
    Comment
    This subject came up in another forum a while back (1999 IIRC), and somebody spoke to some people at the EU and at the Bank of England. It appeared that using "euro" without an "s" was approved by the Bank of England (I think a newspaper had suggested it was another example of Brussels interfering with British customs). Later, *I think*, the Bank of England said the ruling didn't apply in all contexts.

The style guide of the European Commission Translation Service says:

<<Where a sum is written in words, use the form [. . .] : a sum of seven million US dollars, two million euros. [. . .]

Like 'pound', 'dollar' or any other currency name, the word 'euro' is normally written in lower case with no initial capital.

Guidelines on the use of the euro, issued via the Secretariat-General, state that the plurals of both 'euro' and 'cent' are to be written without 's' in English. Do this when amending or referring to legal texts that themselves observe this rule. Elsewhere, and especially in documents intended for the general public, use the natural plural with 's' for both terms.>>
    #23AuthorMike E20 Jun 03, 11:23
    Comment
    I'll bet you quids that Peter's and Ian's sanity will win out over 'should' be anythings.
    #24AuthorRoger20 Jun 03, 12:48
    Comment
    eva-maria:
    ich habe nur nachgefragt, weil ich in London eine übersetzerin namens eva-maria emmanuel kenne.
    späte nachfrage nur weil ich in den letzten Wochen unterwegs war.
    #25AuthorTimm F20 Jun 03, 16:00
    Comment
    I read all your comments, but it I'm still insecure what to say.

Das kostet Sie 5 Euro. - It costs 5 Euro or Euros???

I allways prefered Euros, sounds better. But is it right?
    #26Authorandrea04 Mar 08, 14:07
    Comment
    it costs 5 euros
    #27Authorpenguin (236245) 04 Mar 08, 14:10

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters