Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Topic

bureau/office

Comment
    Gemeint ist der einzelne Büroraum. Sind die beiden Begriffe gleichwertig bzw. kann ich statt zweimal "office" hintereinander auch einmal "bureau" und einaml "office" schreiben?
    AuthorNismo22 Mar 08, 20:00
    Comment
    In AE, you'd never even use "bureau." It's always office or offices (meaning: company). "The offices of XYZ...," but "in my office at XYZ..."
    #1Authordude22 Mar 08, 20:14
    Comment
    Dude, I'm glad you say that. That's what I think too, but I've always been puzzled by the FBI. Do they all live in an Aktenschrank? Is there any explanation?
    #2Author Gibson (418762) 22 Mar 08, 20:25
    Comment
    @Gibson: In "Federal Bureau of Investigation," the Bureau stands for the entire institution, which includes more than the offices.
    #3Author dude (253248) 22 Mar 08, 20:28
    Comment
    also: a "bureau" in government-speak is a specialized administrative unit or a subdivision of an exectutive department of government. It has nothing to do with a writing desk (BE) or an office per se but will be outfitted with many of those, of course. :-)
    #4Author dude (253248) 22 Mar 08, 20:33
    Comment
    So, what could I say instead of "office"?
    #5AuthorNismo22 Mar 08, 20:38
    Comment
    @dude: Thank you.

@Nismo: Give us a sentence. "im Büro", could be, for instance, simply "at work".
    #6Author Gibson (418762) 22 Mar 08, 20:42
    Comment
    "She opened the door and stepped into the ~bureau~. No outer office, no secretary."

The problem is: I have to use "outer office" since I can't find another word for "Vorzimmer".
    #7AuthorNismo22 Mar 08, 20:49
    Comment
    Vorzimmer = ante-room (or reception maybe?) Dann steht das office für Büro zur Verfügung.
    #8Author Gibson (418762) 22 Mar 08, 21:10
    Comment
    Another possibility would be, "She opened the door and stepped (directly) into the office. No lobby, no secretary."

Other possibilities for lobby: vestibule, reception (suggested by Gibson), waiting room
    #9Author Robert -- US (328606) 22 Mar 08, 21:18
    Comment
    Kann man denn ein kleines Vorzimmer als ante-room oder reception bezeichnen.
    Es handelt sich um ein heruntergekommenes Detektivbüro, und ich weiß nicht, ob reception passend ist.

Ist ante-room nicht eher in einem Wohnhaus/ einer Villa zu finden?
    #10AuthorNismo22 Mar 08, 21:40
    Comment
    This makes me think of the term 'cubicle': Dictionary: cubicle . . .
    #11AuthorDaddy22 Mar 08, 21:44
    Comment
    ante-room (AE: anteroom) is the "flattest" translation for Vorzimmer. It is simply a smaller room before the main room and would work well.

Reception implies that there would normally be a person to meet clients/guests, and this would often be the function of a secretary. No reception, no secretary would therefore work as well.

Waiting room is independent of size and simply describes the function. People wait here before seeing the detective, lawye, doctor, dentist, etc. There are also waiting rooms in bus stations, train stations, etc.

A lobby (and foyer) imply probably something bigger than what you have in mind.

A vestibule is also a possibility as it does not imply size as do lobby and foyer.
    #12Author Robert -- US (328606) 22 Mar 08, 21:47
    Comment
    Thanks, guys! I think, then it would be ante-room. The PI is so down that he haven't even this "flattest" version, namely a second room.
    #13AuthorNismo22 Mar 08, 22:51

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt