Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Betrifft

toward - towards

Kommentar
    Was ist eigentlich der Unterschied zwischen den beiden? Und wann verwendet man es mit und wann ohne "s"?
    VerfasserTowanda24 Mär. 08, 17:36
    Kommentar
    I think it's one of those BE/AE uses.
    #1Verfasser Helmi (U.S.) (236620) 24 Mär. 08, 17:39
    Kommentar
    I use both, and I can't seem to discover a pattern.
    But in writing, I think I would use "toward."
    #2VerfasserAE24 Mär. 08, 17:47
    Kommentar
    BE mostly prefers towards
    AE mostly prefers toward.
    #3VerfasserSteve (BE) (337761) 24 Mär. 08, 17:54
    Kommentar
    Well, I speak AE and definitely prefer "towards." Although that is not the dominant form used in publications, I think it is still fairly common here. So the difference is not strictly BE/AE. Perhaps it is true that style books for BE publications generally prefer "towards," while style books for AE publications prefer "toward." My generally sense is that American newspapers and other publications generally prefer the shorter form of variants like this, but that this preference has little to do with what people actually say.

My recommendation is to pick which form you want to use, and use it consistently. Unless you are writing for AE publications that adhere strictly to a specific set of style rules, no one is likely to object to your use of "towards" in a text published in the United States.
    #4Verfasser Sharper (238296) 25 Mär. 08, 03:28
    Kommentar
    My old Oxford gives 'toward' in the relevant sense as a variant of 'towards' with no indication that this has anything to do with AE or BE. (A couple of other independent meanings of 'toward' are also given that I was unaware of until now.)
    #5VerfasserJo_ (425295) 25 Mär. 08, 13:50
    Kommentar
    AE:

I probably use "toward" most of the time, though I have never really thought much about it. I certainly use "towards" at times, and I hear others do the same.

I agree with Sharper's analysis (#4), with one exception: I see no need to pick one of the variants and consistently use only that word. Both words are fine.

Of course, if that advice (from Sharper) was meant to suggest consistency of use within the same document (or text), then I do agree with it.
    #6VerfasserHappyWarrior (964133) 19 Mär. 16, 08:25
    Kommentar
    #7Verfassercookie crumbler (484354) 19 Mär. 16, 09:12

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt