•  
  • Betrifft

go golfing vs go to golf

Kommentar
    Once again I am in a clinch with my son's English teacher :o(
    My son wrote "On Thursdays I go to golf at 3 p.m."
    which got corrected to "go golfing"
    As he goes to golf lessons and doesn't necessary play on the course it is definitely "go to golf".
    My question: can we actually say "go golfing at 3 p.m." - isn't "go golfing" more the "going out and having a game" as in "I normally go golfing at the weekend" - without a definite time?!?
    Grateful as ever for any native comments (to prime my weapons for the next fight!)
    Verfasserconfused unplugged31 Mär. 08, 15:01
    Kommentar
    "I'm going to play golf at 3 o'clock", is what my Dad would have said. Or, "I play golf at weekends." (He played it, I don't.)

To me, "I'm going golfing" sounds a bit strange all round - "to golf" is not a common verb in my vocabulary. Do they say that in the US, perhaps?
    #1VerfasserSteve (BE) (337761) 31 Mär. 08, 15:08
    Kommentar
    Thanks Steve
    "I go to golf" is because the full sentence would be "I go to golf lessons", and it is also what my Dad in the UK says when he goes to any regular do at the golf club, but yes, I play golf is definitely what we would say.
    #2Verfasserconfused unplugged still31 Mär. 08, 15:12
    Kommentar
    Für mich hört sich go to golf eher an wie, ich gehe um zu Golfen. Wie der Unterschied beim Gebrauch des Verbes to stop --> I stop doing it und I stop to do it

Aber natürlich nicht hundert pro sicher, ob dieser Unterschied auch bei to go zutrifft.
    #3VerfasserX-toph31 Mär. 08, 15:13
    Kommentar
    Yes, sorry, I did realize that "I go to golf" implies that golf is a noun. It's only the "I go golfing" bit that I find strange. Good luck convincing your lad's teacher.
    #4VerfasserSteve (BE) (337761) 31 Mär. 08, 15:23
    Kommentar
    I think "I go to golf" is a literal German translation of "ich gehe zum Golf". Sounds like a Germanism to me.
    #5VerfasserMoni31 Mär. 08, 15:25
    Kommentar
    I would say both are right, in their own contexts:

On Saturdays, I go golfing (compare: I go swimming)
    - where's your dad gone? He's gone golfing/swimming

On Saturdays, I go to golf (like one would go to karate or something) - meaning the lesson of "golf".

Whether that's grammatically *right* or not, I don't know. It's interesting, for sport there seems to be activities that you do with a noun:

I go to karate, I go to judo

and things that you do with a verb:

I go swimming, I go running

I think you can, in some contexts say, I'm going to swimming/I'm going to running - (as in the practice of that sport, or the lesson), and I think that's the way I interpret the "going to golf".

Hope that helps.
    #6VerfasserFaith (BE)31 Mär. 08, 15:50
    Kommentar
    In the U.S. we would make a distinction between golf lessons and actually playing the game of golf.

In your son's case, we would say, "I go to my golf lessons on Thursdays at 3:00pm." Or, "I have golf lessons every Thursday at 3:00pm."

If he played a round of golf each week, he would say, "I go golfing on Thursdays" or "I play golf on Thursdays."

#7Verfassergolfer AE31 Mär. 08, 16:34
    Kommentar
    thanks again to everyone
    @golfer - yes that's the difference my son was making
    Now I can have fun with the teacher who thinks I'm neurotic (this happens every test: in the last test there were two things correct which he marked as incorrect and then, as a Begrundung, said, well the first answer is also correct, but it's not in the book so you can't know that, and the second answer is something done in 7th grade and you're only in 5th grade so you can't know that yet either)
    #8Verfasserconfused unplugged31 Mär. 08, 17:07
    Kommentar
    and @ moni
    my d.o.d. (dear old Dad), Brit living in the UK, always says that he goes to golf, or "I'm off now to golf", and he only speaks the rudiments of German.
    #9Verfasserconfused still unplugged31 Mär. 08, 17:10
    Kommentar
    Once again I am in a clinch with my son's English teacher :o(
    My son wrote "On Thursdays I go to golf at 3 p.m."
    which got corrected to "go golfing"

Unfortunatley your teacher, in this case, is correct.

This is hard to explain, but I am a native speaker and also a teacher

I go golfing is correct. In this case Golfing is not a verb, it is a gerund used as a noun, so it is kind of misleading.

One can also say. I like golf. I like golfing. In the second example it is also a gerund being used as a noun. This from in English is used mainly to express hobbies.

#10Verfassermaureen31 Mär. 08, 18:01
    Kommentar
    "Go golfing at 3pm" sounds OK to me, like "go swimming at 3 pm".
    Mind you, though I'm a native speaker (of English, what's more), I have never actually played golf.
    #11VerfasserCM2DD (236324) 31 Mär. 08, 18:18
    Kommentar
    "to go to golf" (or to football or to chess) sounds fine to me!
    #12Verfasserthomas (gb)31 Mär. 08, 18:40
    Kommentar
    >>"I go to golf" is because the full sentence would be "I go to golf lessons"

That is absolutely correct. Period, full stop. 'Golf' is a noun. No need to discuss verbs at all.

I think the part about the understood concept of 'lessons' or 'practice,' or anything that has a regular weekly session or meeting, is what you need to emphasize to the teacher. (If you bring it up at all, which from a long-term tactical perspective might be worth reconsidering.)

By analogy,

I go to piano
    I go to soccer
    I go to scouts
    I go to judo
    I go to choir
    I go to Japanese

It's actually something the other kids could use and might as well learn.

#13Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 31 Mär. 08, 19:12
    Kommentar
    I agree with hm -- us. "Go to golf" sounds fine to me, in the context of lessons or practice.

Wouldn't "golf" actually be an adjective in this case, with "lessons" or "practice" an elided noun?
    #14VerfasserTom (AE) (237076) 31 Mär. 08, 19:46
    Kommentar
    To make my view clear and support others' comments, as confused says, "go to golf" is definitely right - in #11 I was just commenting on the question of whether "go golfing" works too.
    #15VerfasserCM2DD (236324) 31 Mär. 08, 21:58
    Kommentar
    @maureen
    no, sorry, but you're totally wrong and confused is correct - from a British golfing English teacher
    #16VerfasserMM UK01 Apr. 08, 15:14
    Kommentar
    @MM UK

Than that must be "golf speak" ... I go to golf.

The son's original sentence was not 100% correct, I would change the order...

I go to golf on Thusdays at 3pm.

What do you think?
    #17Verfassermaureen02 Apr. 08, 22:06

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Tastatur

• Sonderzeichen

• Lautschrift