Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Topic

Euro - euro - Euros?

Comment
    I thought in the US I had seen "13 Euros" used as the standard way. Now, being back in Germany, I was writing an English text and "13 Euros" was corrected to "13 euro" by the reviewer.
    Is my recollection simply wrong or are there differences between AE and BE for this? What is the correct form and spelling of the plural?
    Thanks
    AuthorUSbackinEurope05 Dec 08, 11:38
    Comment
    Deutsch: 13 Euro
    Englishc AE/BE: 13 Euros
    #1AuthorWerner (236488) 05 Dec 08, 11:41
    Comment
    LEO benutzt in den Beispielen auch nur Euros, vielleicht ueberzeugt das deinen reviewer.

Dictionary: Euros
    #3AuthorEmily05 Dec 08, 11:45
    Comment
    The answer is: It depends. On the editor, the publication's preference and the applicable style guide.

I suggest you google your favourite media such as the Times online and the Economist.

The "correct" form does indeed seem to be "euro".
    Colloquially, "euros" is more logical (as CM2DD pointed out in one of the linked threads).
    To circumvent this, some just use the currency symbol €
    #4Authorpenguin (236245) 05 Dec 08, 11:52
    Comment
    #5Authorpenguin (236245) 05 Dec 08, 11:53
    Comment
    Die Frage, wenn ich sie richtig verstanden habe, ist wohl vor allem die nach dem Mehrzahl-s.

Ich habe das so gelernt, dass es davon abhängt, ob die Währungseinheit - gleich ob Dollar, Euro oder Pfund oder sonstwas - adjektivisch oder substantivisch gebraucht wird:

It's a 20.000 Euro car. It costs 20.000 Euros.
    #6Authorsmalbop05 Dec 08, 12:07
    Comment
    Vom falschen Tausender-Trennzeichen bitte ich abzusehen. ;-)
    #7Authorsmalbop05 Dec 08, 12:15
    Comment
    As I understand it, the "correct" plural of "euro" (lower case in English) is "euro" is all EU languages. As penguin points out, different publications may choose to use the "natural" plural of "euros". Ireland is the only English-speaking country which uses the euro and during a recent holiday there I found more people seemed to use euro than euros. This link http://www.evertype.com/standards/euro/ has some interesting further links.
    #8AuthorShaples GB (251341) 05 Dec 08, 12:43
    Comment
    @ Shaples

Vielleicht liegt das daran, dass der Euro eine noch als künstlich empfundene, erst kürzlich eingeführte Währung ist, der die üblichen englischen Sprachstrukturen noch nicht allgemein verbindlich übergestülpt wurden. Wie wird denn bei Dollar und Pfund verfahren?
    #9Authorsmalbop05 Dec 08, 13:04
    Comment
    The ECB stipulates that the nominative singular should be written "euro" in all languages (taking account of different alphabets, such as Greek).

Current usage by the ECB and the Commission is to use the plural form "euros" (with "s", non-capitalized). This is recommended by the two relevant style guides, the Interinstitutional style guide and the Translation Directorate style guide.

The style guide of the European Commission Directorate-General for Translation currently says:

20.8 The euro. Like ‘pound’, ‘dollar’ or any other currency name in English, the word ‘euro’ is written in lower case with no initial capital and, where appropriate, takes the plural ‘s’ (as does ‘cent’):This book costs ten euros and fifty cents. However, in documents and tables where monetary amounts figure largely,make maximum use of the € symbol (closed up to the figure) or the abbreviation EUR before the amount.

The Interinstitutional style guide, (7.3.3. Rules for expressing monetary units http://publications.europa.eu/code/en/en-3703... ) currently has a caveat:
    "The text in point 7.3.3 is in draft form and is currently being analysed by the institutions. When it has been finalised you will be notified on the News page of this website." but has the following note (using "euros" in the plural):

When a monetary unit is referred to generally but an amount is not included, it is written in letters, except in tables (see ‘When to use the ISO code (EUR)’):
    an amount in euros
    a sum in pounds sterling

Prior to 2006, I understand (as quoted elsewhere), the Translation style guide (20.7) had:

"Guidelines on the use of the euro, issued via the Secretariat-General, state that the plurals of both ‘euro’ and ‘cent’ are to be written without ‘s’ in English. Do this when amending or referring to legal texts that themselves observe this rule. However, in all other texts, especially documents intended for the general public, use the natural plurals ‘euros’ and ‘cents’ "

and according to the old version of the Interinstitutional style guide (7.3.1):

"In English, the terms euro and cent are invariable (no plural 's'), notwithstanding the acknowledgement in a footnote that ‘The spellingwithout an “s” may be seen as departing from usual English practice for currencies’. Notwithstanding that in Italian, German and Greek the words ‘euro’ and ‘cent’ are also used in their plural-less form, in most other languages, including French and Spanish, the name of the single currency tends to vary in the plural, both inofficial and in everyday use."
    #10AuthorMikeE (236602) 05 Dec 08, 23:06
    Comment
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_issue...

Just found this - may be useful!
    #11AuthorLegal Alien (479525) 24 Jul 09, 13:18
    Comment
    http://ec.europa.eu/translation/writing/style...

Another link which may be useful, The English Style Guide, a handbook for authors and translators in the European Commission (last revised May 2009). Section 20.8 outlines use of the euro; small 'e' and plural with an 's', correpsonding to what MikeE said in post #10 about current usage.
    #12AuthorSwissSteve24 Jul 09, 14:08

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt