•  
  • Übersicht

Sprachlabor

German "durch, über jemanden" - by/through/via

Betrifft

German "durch, über jemanden" - by/through/via

Kommentar
    Which of the following particles sound good/correct to native speakers?

(1) These new ideas came to Africa through the colonists.
    (2) These new ideas came to Africa by the colonists.
    (3) These new ideas came to Africa via the colonists.
    (4) These new ideas came to Africa because of /due to the colonists.

Any further suggestions? (without changing the sentence structure, if posible, for I am actually interested in the correct particle, that is via, through, by or whatever).

Thank you very much in advance.
    VerfasserTHe unwoken fool09 Mär. 09, 15:35
    Kommentar
    How about "with"?
    #1Verfasserchristina09 Mär. 09, 15:40
    Kommentar
    Thank you. And what about my suggestions? Which of them are acceptable? Which of them are plain wrong?
    #2VerfasserThe unwoken fool09 Mär. 09, 16:07
    Kommentar
    “With” is probably better than all of your suggestions.

(1) These new ideas came to Africa through the colonists. Not really. “... through a process of ... ”, perhaps, but not through + people.
    (2) These new ideas came to Africa by the colonists. No - “by” denotes a passive agent: these ideas were brought to Africa by the colonists.
    (3) These new ideas came to Africa via the colonists. OK
    (4) These new ideas came to Africa because of /due to the colonists. “Because of” - OK, but means “wegen”, not “durch”. “Due to” - perhaps OK, but sounds clumsy here.
    #3VerfasserSteve (BE)09 Mär. 09, 16:25
    Kommentar
    I'd also prefer "with", though it specifically means that when the colonists came, the new ideas came. They brought the ideas with them when they arrived.
    Otherwise, if I was really not allowed to change the word order (is it an exercise in timewasting? :-) I'd use "via".

[edit]
    Spread to Africa via the colonists works better for me, and "came to Africa thanks to the colonists" might also work in context, if they didn't bring the new ideas with them at the time they arrived.
    #4VerfasserCM2DD (236324) 09 Mär. 09, 16:37

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Tastatur

• Sonderzeichen

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt