Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Topic

...the whole shebang

Comment
    Ist diese Phrase AE oder BE? Altmodisch oder gebräuchlich? Kann man sie verwenden, ohne seltsame Blicke und Verwirrung hervorzurufen?
    AuthorNinguem (608183) 19 Jul 09, 21:32
    Comment

Main Entry:
    she·bang Listen to the pronunciation of shebang
    Pronunciation:
    \shi-ˈbaŋ\
    Function:
    noun
    Etymology:
    origin unknown
    Date:

: everything involved in what is under consideration —usually used in the phrase the whole shebang

Also ich neige dazu, die Phrase für oldfashioned zu halten.
    #1AuthorCJ unplugged19 Jul 09, 21:58
    Comment
    Contrary to CJ unplugged's opinion, I am happy to report that "the whole shebang" is still frequently used in AE. :-)

see? happy... --> :-)
    #2Authordude (253248) 19 Jul 09, 22:02
    Comment
    Mag evtl. "old-fashioned" sein, aber ich (Jahrgang 1955) kenne/verwende es :-)

Dang, dude - was just going to post my answer, and you beat me to it again :-))
    #3AuthorCarly-AE (237428) 19 Jul 09, 22:04
    Comment
    ... and don't miss to check this 'Shebang': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebang_(Unix) . . .
    #4AuthorDaddy . . . (533448) 19 Jul 09, 22:09
    Comment
    sorry, Carly. Let me know next time you're posting, I'll slow down. ;-)
    #5Authordude (253248) 19 Jul 09, 22:14
    Comment
    Where are you planning on saying this, Ninguem? Who will be your audience? Friends, business associates, customers?
    #6AuthorSD3 (451227) 19 Jul 09, 22:21
    Comment
    It's AE. Slang. A little unusual but understandable.

But be a little careful about using it unless you understand the sense of it. Slang is always risky. You may get seltsame Blicke und Verwirrung just because it's not the type of word one would expect to hear from the mouth of a non-native speaker.
    #7Authoreric (new york) (63613) 19 Jul 09, 22:35
    Comment
    I guess I must be oldfashioned as well.... still use it/hear it from time to time :0)
    #8AuthorRES-can (330291) 19 Jul 09, 23:05
    Comment
    The whole shebang is - according to the Oxford English Dictionary - American in origin, but it's understood, and even used, in the UK too. I've been known to use it myself, but it's definitely informal language.
    #9AuthorVillager (GB) (575909) 19 Jul 09, 23:10
    Comment
    Not sure I'm talking about the same phrase but here in NZ 'the whole shabang' is very common. I've never seen it in writing but the pronunciation definitely indicates a sha- rather then a she-.
    #10Authorgone fishing - unpluged20 Jul 09, 03:17
    Comment
    I wasn't really planning to say it to anyone in particular. I just came across the expression recently and wanted to know a little more about the undertones/register before trying to use it at some point (and potentially embarrassing myself).

Thanks for your help!

#11AuthorNinguem (608183) 21 Jul 09, 01:02
    Comment
    @ # 11, in the New York area we also say " the whole enchilada" so take your pick. :-))
    #12AuthorHelmi (U.S.) (236620) 21 Jul 09, 01:16
    Comment
    kommt drauf an wo du bist: shebang scheint ein cockney akzent zu sein, aber zumindest im londoner raum gilt er als dodgy und not very sophisticated, wa sso viel heisst wie sonderbar und nicht sehr gebildet ;)
    #13Authormiri25 May 10, 00:43
    Comment
    I'm going to assume No. 13 is talking about the pronunciation: shebang vs. shabang (with schwa). Here in the U.S. you hear both, with possible regional differences, but I wouldn't think there's any major baggage attached to how you pronounce it. However you pronounce it, though, it's very informal, as others have noted.
    #14AuthorKatydid (US) (694445) 25 May 10, 01:20
    Comment
    It's very commonly used in Ireland.
    #15AuthorCBlocher25 May 10, 17:18
    Comment
    I don't think we have to worry about the comments of someone in #13 who can't be bothered to locate the Shift key; in my book that's, well, dodgy and not very sophisticated. (-:

But I got the impression that whoever had warned against it just meant that it's very informal, which is true. It's not an expression you'd want to use in serious writing, except for deliberate effect; but as people seem to have confirmed from all over the world, it's fine in ordinary conversation.

I can't imagine it pronounced any other way than with a schwa, though.

How many of these are there? The whole shebang, the whole enchilada, the whole ball of wax, the whole ...
    #16Authorhm -- us (236141) 25 May 10, 17:35
    Comment
    We used to say, "the whole sandwich plus a bag of chips" as the superlative. But I've only ever heard that in my immediate surroundings growing up in the Philadephia area. :o)
    #17AuthorLara Chu (AmE) (236716) 25 May 10, 17:41
    Comment
    The whole kit and kaboodle (spelling?) :-)
    #18AuthorCarly-AE (237428) 25 May 10, 18:59
    Comment
    Perfect, that's one I hadn't thought about in a while. (-:
    #19Authorhm -- us (236141) 25 May 10, 19:01
    Comment
    In A.E. I can vouch for current usage of the whole kit and kaboodle (also: caboodle),
    the whole ball of wax and the whole enchilada. None of these phrases should elicit strange looks or lack of understanding unless the listener has a rather poor vocabulary, which of course is always a possibility...
    Also, in A.E. shebang is usually pronounced with the e as a schwa, as is often the case with a vowel in an unstressed syllable.

HINWEIS:
    If you enjoy learning about English language idioms, phrases and sayings and their origins, here's a great reference source, IMHO. Although it's a British website, it provides copious information about American speech as well:

#20Authoreclectus (1173200) 15 May 18, 16:15

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt