•  
  • Übersicht

Sprachlabor

Unterschied "pardon me" und "pardon"?

Betrifft

Unterschied "pardon me" und "pardon"?

Kommentar
    Hallo Nachtschwärmer!

Ich hab gehört, dass es einen Bedeutungsunterschied zwischen "pardon me" und "pardon" geben soll. Bisher dachte ich immer, man könnte beide im Sinne von "Wie bitte?" verwenden.
    Nun habe ich von einer Amerikanerin gehört, dass "pardon me" ausschließlich verwendet wird, um sich zu entschuldigen, beispielsweise wenn ich jemandem in der Straßenbahn versehentlich auf die Zehen trete.
    Kann das jemand bestätigen? Danke schon mal.

VerfasserRüdiger13 Jun. 10, 21:51
    Kommentar
    In BE both pardon? and pardon me? are commonly used to mean "wie bitte?"
    I beg your pardon? is not so common. All three are not really considered 100% correct English - you should say something like "Could you repeat that, please?"

If you tread on someone's toe by mistake, you usually say "Sorry". I don't think I've ever heard anyone say any of the "pardon" variations in this context.
    #1Verfassertomtom13 Jun. 10, 22:07
    Kommentar
    As an American, I confirm that I might say "Pardon?" for "Wie bitte?" but not "Pardon me?"
    #2Verfasserion1122 (443218) 13 Jun. 10, 22:28
    Kommentar
    @tomtom
    Danke, das deckt sich mit der mir bekannten Verwendung. Schönen Abend noch.
    #3VerfasserRüdiger13 Jun. 10, 22:29
    Kommentar
    @ion1122
    Danke für die Info. Wäre für Sie "pardon me" im Sinne von "sorry" (siehe mein Auf-die-Zehen-treten-Beispiel) idiomatisch?
    #4VerfasserRüdiger13 Jun. 10, 22:31
    Kommentar
    @4: I myself would probably say either "Excuse me!" or "I beg your pardon!" The latter is for more serious transgressions.

But I'm sure there are many Americans who would say "Pardon me!"
    #5Verfasserion1122 (443218) 13 Jun. 10, 22:55
    Kommentar
    The most likely use I can think of for "pardon me" is as an ironic apology, e.g. "Pardon me for breathing!"
    #6VerfasserMikeE (236602) 14 Jun. 10, 00:19
    Kommentar
    There are a couple of uses of "pardon": a genuine apology, a request for repetition.

In asking someone to repeat something, I would use just "pardon?" Usually, though, I would say, "Excuse me, could you repeat that? / I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch what you were saying" or something like that.

"Pardon me?" would express a certain amount of shock - I can't quite believe I heard what I think I just heard, and if I did, then you are the one who should ask for pardon.

"Pardon me" could also express a certain amount of impatience - I'm trying to get through a crowd, and you're obstinately in my way, so "Pardon me" - it's the higher register that sets it apart from "excuse me".

And of course, the ironic apology - which is not really an apology at all but an expression that you are being unreasonable.

Naturally, with all of these context and voice inflection are critical.
    #7VerfasserRobert -- US (328606) 14 Jun. 10, 06:26
    Kommentar
    Disagree with 1, who is clearly not a native spaker: "pardon me" is not common for having misheard something in England, "pardon" can be (formally) though.

I also disagree with 1's "could you repeat that please" suggestion - the more common way of expressing this ("bitte?") is "sorry?" or "sorry, I missed that" etc - "could you repeat that please" could quite easily sound rude and demanding in the wrong context.

And both "pardon" and "pardon me" can and are often used in the context of bumping into someone in England. But as a basic rule, the word "pardon" is now seen as extremely formal and has been replaced with "sorry."
    #8VerfasserBanana (GB)14 Jun. 10, 10:20
    Kommentar
    @ banana:
    A bit late, but just for your info, I am a native speaker (BE).
    I have never heard anyone British say "pardon" or "pardon me" when bumping into someone, but always "sorry." Perhaps we move in different circles or in different parts of the country.
    #9Verfassertomtom15 Jun. 10, 18:51
    Kommentar
    #10Verfassersvaihingen (705121) 15 Jun. 10, 19:11
    Kommentar
    FWIW, I have--with no feeling or sense of irony or sarcasm or impatience--used both "Pardon" and "Pardon me," in various contexts. I use those expressions interchangeably.

I would use those expressions if trying to push through a crowd or, conversely, if I were engaged in conversation (e.g., on a sidewalk) and discovered that I was blocking some third person's way (for example).

I find that, in more personal exchanges, I use "Pardon" or "Pardon me" only if the situation seems relatively formal to me. For example, if the Governor said something I did not quite hear, I'd say, "Pardon me?" (I certainly wouldn't say, "What?")

In more casual situations: "Excuse me"; and in even less formal situations, "What?" (which, of course, can sound rude).

(AE)
    #11VerfasserHappyWarrior (964133) 23 Nov. 16, 13:18

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Tastatur

• Sonderzeichen

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt