Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Übersicht

Sprachlabor

in the break - during recess

Betrifft

in the break - during recess

Kommentar
    Dear LEOs, I am particularly on the lookout for native BE speakers. My son's school book (which is questionable at times), contains the following sentence:

On Monday they are during areobics in the break.

To my AE ears that sounds terrible. I'd use 'during recess' anyway, so I am wondering: is that correct BE?

Looking forward to your answers!
    Verfasser krazy_mom (D) (238333) 18 Aug. 10, 15:48
    Kommentar
    Ugh. I think it would be natural to say "break" or "the morning break", but not "the break". But that's the least of their mistakes, by the looks of it.

On Mondays they do aerobics during break.
    On Mondays they do aerobics during the morning break.

"Break" is definitely right in principle, though. "During recess" means nothing at all to me.
    #1VerfasserSteve UK18 Aug. 10, 16:03
    Kommentar
    Dear Steve,

thank you for your answer. I had been mostly wondering about the 'in the' part. Even though I probably wouldn't use it, I do know that break is used, but 'in the break' sounds terribly like 'in der Pause' to me.

I have found numerous errors in those books, but there have been instances where even my Kiwi period has not prepared me for BE expressions. Which is why I asked. Last time they mixed up 'who' and 'whom'. These books are for 6th and 7th graders, I wonder who works at those places...
    #2Verfasser krazy_mom (D) (238333) 18 Aug. 10, 16:09
    Kommentar
    We used to say "in the break" at my school, maybe that's regional/depends on school type? "During break" sounds a bit posher to me. http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&cr=count...

If they were talking about their plans for next Monday, then "On Monday they're doing aerobics in the break" would just about be OK, though "they're going to do aerobics in the break" would sound better.
    #3Verfasser CM2DD (236324) 18 Aug. 10, 16:11
    Kommentar
    PLEASE NOTE:just found a typo in my own question (it has been a very long day already).

The sentence should read: 'On Monday they are doing areobics in the break.'

Dear Steve,

thank you for your answer. I had been mostly wondering about the 'in the' part. Even though I probably wouldn't use it, I do know that break is used, but 'in the break' sounds terribly like 'in der Pause' to me.

I have found numerous errors in those books, but there have been instances where even my Kiwi period has not prepared me for BE expressions. Which is why I asked. Last time they mixed up 'who' and 'whom'. These books are for 6th and 7th graders, I wonder who works at those places...

#4Verfasser krazy_mom (D) (238333) 18 Aug. 10, 16:12
    Kommentar
    @3
    Hmm, 11 hits, half of them irrelevant ("in the break dancing workshop", "in the Break Point Café", "Nixon denied all involvement in the break-in", "In 'The Break-Up of Britain' Tom Nairn developed an argument", "reduction in the break-ins and thefts")... Not sure.
    #5VerfasserLaura18 Aug. 10, 16:24
    Kommentar
    #5 The point is that people do say "the break" and not just "break" - "during break" might be more common, but "in the break" doesn't break any rules either.

Take the first three hits:

In the break I recall someone came with a steaming tray of bread pudding for which we paid l/2d. and it was delicious.

If they are sent late in the break they may
    have to return the next day for a time.

Light refreshments will be provided in the break but pupils will be expected to bring their own packed lunch.

None of these sound like Denglisch to me.

Here's a better search with "the", though:

"during the break" http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22during+th...
    "after the break" http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22after+the...

(Still hard to get just relevant hits, though, as "the break" could mean the summer or winter break, too.)
    #6Verfasser CM2DD (236324) 18 Aug. 10, 16:38
    Kommentar
    If "in the break" sounds OK to CM2DD, it's OK with me. "During break" doesn't sound posh to me, though ;-)

BTW, another widespread UK school expression is "in/during breaktime".
    #7VerfasserSteve UK18 Aug. 10, 16:45
    Kommentar
    I was also thinking of "at break time".
    #8Verfasser CM2DD (236324) 18 Aug. 10, 16:47
    Kommentar
    I don't see a problem with "in the break"
    although we used to talk about "breaktime", so I'd have said "at breaktime" here...

"they are doing aerobics" is odd though - either "they do aerobics" or "they're going to / they will do aerobics" surely?
    #9Verfasser Nicole (UK) (240554) 18 Aug. 10, 16:47
    Kommentar
    Just noticed km said "during", not "doing", is that a typo?
    Whether or not "doing" works depends on the context, I suppose.

Bob: You can hand these notes to the children in your class at break time on Monday.
    Mary: Oh, no, I can't: on Monday they're doing aerobics in the break.

i.e. when you're talking about a pre-arranged schedule.
    #10Verfasser CM2DD (236324) 18 Aug. 10, 17:05
    Kommentar
    "recess" would be the AE version of "break," especially in school context. So "during recess" would be perfectly okay for AE.
    #11Verfasser dude (253248) 18 Aug. 10, 17:37
    Kommentar
    At school in Australia in the 1960s, our short mid-morning interval was known as "recess" (without an article); younger boys in the Junior School used to call it "break" (likewise without an article). So as young boys we used to say "Let's go to the tuck shop at break", but as we got older it was "Let's go behind the boatshed for a smoke* at recess."

*at risk of getting the cane
    #12Verfasser Stravinsky (637051) 18 Aug. 10, 18:24
    Kommentar
    From my own BE experience of several English schools, "in the break" sounds perfectly natural (as do "at break" and "at breaktime"). "Recess" is definitely non-BE.
    #13Verfasser Ecgberht (469528) 18 Aug. 10, 19:38
    Kommentar
    Great, I knew it, LEOs to the rescue. That's exactly why I asked, to me it sounds strange but it is obviously ok. I have found quite a few mistakes in those books, but luckily I asked...

It doesn't do at all to make a fool of myself in front of a 12-year-old ;-).

Thanks a lot, everybody!
    #14Verfasser krazy_mom (D) (238333) 18 Aug. 10, 20:22
    Kommentar
    If I was at a conference I would use "during the break".
    But "during break" is a set expression that I associate exclusively with school and the short mid-morning break we had around 11 am. In that context I would never have said "during the break", but "during break" or at "break time".
    #15VerfasserMackie18 Aug. 10, 21:15
    Kommentar
    @Stravinsky: During my misspent youth in NZ, decades ago, if not quite as long as yours, the cane was still in very much existence. Being a girl and not interested in smoking, there were other vices (make-up and perfume as well as tights come to mind - all total no-gos in my school, even in 12th grade - try to tell that to my kids, they think I came on the arc).

Thank you for taking us with you down memory lane!
    #16Verfasser krazy_mom (D) (238333) 18 Aug. 10, 23:07

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt