• Special characters

• Lautschrift

leo-ende
Advertisement
Topic

drive a bike?

22 replies   
Comment
We took our bikes out and drove to the park.

Ist der Satz richtig oder heisst es "we went to the park"? Bin mir auch nicht sicher ob "to take out" = auspacken möglich ist.
AuthorCarmen11 Oct 10, 22:08
Comment
Also wenn's "push boikes" (sic!) sind, dann "rode to the park".

Und was willst Du genau sagen? Die Räder waren verpackt? Oder was? "take out" = "auspacken" seh ich eher nicht ...
#1AuthorB.L.Z. Bubb (601295) 11 Oct 10, 22:11
Comment
Also, man kommt gerade im Urlaub an und packt die Räder (aus dem Auto) aus.

"We took out our bikes and rode to the park"?
#2AuthorCarmen11 Oct 10, 22:14
Comment
"We took out our bikes and rode to the park"?
That sounds fine to me.

you ride a bicycle, drive a car
#3Authorwupper (354075) 11 Oct 10, 22:16
Comment
"ride" gilt auch für Mouderräder (sic!), oder?
#4AuthorB.L.Z. Bubb (601295) 11 Oct 10, 22:18
Comment
I was afraid you would ask that!
Yes, I would use ride for a motorcycle too, but there are certain LEO forum members that might contradict me on that...

Mouderräder
?
Was ist das, Bubb? Holländisch? Platt?
#5Authorwupper (354075) 11 Oct 10, 22:22
Comment
Norddeutsche Lautmalerei - geht im Singular besser: "datt Mouderrätt" ;-)
#6AuthorB.L.Z. Bubb (601295) 11 Oct 10, 22:23
Comment
Bei Motorrädern bzw. Mouderrädern geht beides, glaub ich. Wenn man aber Mitfahrer ist, dann geht nur "ride". So sehe ich das jedenfalls.
#7Authorwupper (354075) 11 Oct 10, 22:27
Comment
OK, danke.
#8AuthorB.L.Z. Bubb (601295) 11 Oct 10, 22:28
Comment
Usually if you sit on it like a horse, with one leg on each side, then you ride it. That includes motorcycles.

If you sit in it like a car (or carriage) and direct it by using a steering wheel (or reins), then you drive it.

But if you're only a passenger, not the one who decides where to go, then it's always ride.
#9Authorhm -- us (236141) 11 Oct 10, 22:33
Comment
What about a Segway???
#10Author:-)11 Oct 10, 22:41
Comment
You don't want to be seen dead in a ditch on that thing ;-)

Was that tasteless? I hope so.
#11AuthorB.L.Z. Bubb (601295) 11 Oct 10, 22:44
Comment
RE: Segway
"They see me rollin', they hatin'..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwoXqRK0ci4
#12Authorfifi12 Oct 10, 05:15
Comment
To me, take out doesn't necessarily mean unpack. It could mean take them out of the garage for example, or as I presume in this case, without having any further context to go on, it could simply mean something along the lines of taking the bokes out with us to go somewhere.
#13AuthorMackie12 Oct 10, 09:58
Comment
Changing the o for an i in bikes! Sorry.
#14AuthorMackie12 Oct 10, 10:00
Comment
Unless you had encased a bike in wrapping paper or a huge suitcase, you would not really unpack it anyway imho.
#15AuthorSelkie (236097) 12 Oct 10, 10:51
Comment
Re #9 aber völlig OT:

Geht "Usually if you sit on it like a horse..." im Englischen? Mein deutsches Hirn projeziert gerade ein Pferd, das auf einem Mouderrätt sitzt...
#16AuthorMo (de) (531234) 12 Oct 10, 12:30
Comment
In the US we don't "drive" a bike, we "ride" a bike or sometimes "take a bike".

"We took our bikes to the park" usually means "we rode our bikes to the park". (It might mean we transported our bikes, if the destination is far away. "We took our bikes to our summer house" (which is 300 miles away) would undoubtedly mean we put the bikes on the top of the car, which we drove to the summer house.)

The most common is "we rode our bikes". "Drive a bike" is uncommon.
#17Authoreric (new york) (63613) 12 Oct 10, 17:06
Comment
If the act of removing the bikes from the car is germane to the text, you might say, "We got our bikes out of the car and rode (or cycled) to the park."

#16: My American-English brain didn't have that problem; it automatically understood the "like" to refer to "sit on" and not to "a horse:"
"....if you sit on it like (you would sit on) a horse."
#18AuthorLiz (ae in de) (583627) 12 Oct 10, 17:16
Comment
#9: "But if you're only a passenger, not the one who decides where to go, then it's always ride."

So you also ride a bus, train or ship (instead of going by it)?
#19Authordagmar12 Oct 10, 18:10
Comment
Well, as a passenger you could say you're riding on a bus or train, yes, just as you ride in a car. I don't think you ride on a ship, but maybe on a boat.

More often, you skip the verb and just say you are on the bus, train, or ship, since it's relatively obvious what you're doing on it. Only perhaps with a small child: Look, grandma, we're riding (on) the train! We're taking a train ride!

Similarly, of course the question is also not usually whether you're riding or driving, just whether you will take the bus, train, or ferry, or indeed, go by bus, train, or ship.
#20Authorhm -- us (236141) 12 Oct 10, 18:22
Comment
In BE you don't ride on a bus or a train, you travel or go by or take the bus/train.

I go to school by bus.
I travelled to France by train.
I took the bus to the town centre.
#21Authortomtom12 Oct 10, 18:29
Comment
Danke, hm-us
#22Authordagmar12 Oct 10, 18:30
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum

LEO uses cookies in order to facilitate the fastest possible website experience with the most functions. In some cases cookies from third parties are also used. For further information about this subject please refer to the information under  Leo’s Terms of use / Data protection (Cookies)