•  
  • Übersicht

Englisch gesucht

wer bei mir jude ist, bestimme ich

Betreff

wer bei mir jude ist, bestimme ich

Quellen
    This is an (apparently famous) quotation from Hermann Goering - I'm not sure best how to translate 'bestimmen' here? And I am assuming that 'bei mir' means 'in Germany'?

Many thanks for any help.
    VerfasserLila15 Apr. 07, 21:42
    VorschlagI decide whom I consider to be Jewish
    Kommentar
    Jude is a noun and thus to be spelled with capital J.
    #1VerfasserWerner (236488) 15 Apr. 07, 21:46
    VorschlagI'll decide who's a Jew
    Quellen
    Usually attributed to Karl Lueger, the mayor of Vienna from 1897 to his death in 1910, and usually translated as "I'll decide who's a Jew," even though it doesn't follow the structure of the original. But you'll find it that way in any English language biography of Lueger. Try John Boyer's books on Christian Democracy if you want to convince yourself that this quotation is Lueger's long before 1933, and to understand the context and the implications.
    #2VerfasserAmigirl15 Apr. 07, 22:22
    VorschlagI'll decide who's a Jew
    Kommentar
    I'll second Amigirl
    #3Verfassersuziq (315879) 15 Apr. 07, 22:23
    Vorschlag"Wer a Jud ist, bestimm ich"
    Quellen
    this is the vernacular form that's usually found for Karl Lueger's words
    Kommentar
    I second this as well, it's a well-known (though nowadays rarely quoted :-) statement by Lueger who simply meant that the Austrian antisemitism then quite rife in "his" city was something he would support to a certain point: there would have to be exceptions for personal (or administrative) reasons.

I seem to remember though that Göring said something to the same effect once.

And no, Lila, "bei mir" may or may not have been part of Lueger's (or Göring's) statement but it would not refer to =in Germany but rather to =in my opinion/for me
    #4VerfasserWernR (237214) 15 Apr. 07, 23:20

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Tastatur

• Sonderzeichen

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt