•  
  • Betreff

detail

[Tech.][Amer.]
    Quellen
    Kann man auf einer Berater-Business Card das Wort detail mit der fig. Bedeutung Leibgarde/Schutzengel etwa so benutzen:
    Dr. XXX
    Your Health, Safety & Environmental Detail.
    Wie kommt das rüber? Ist die Verwendung richtig und wird das (auf Anhieb?) verstanden? Gibt es ein treffenderese Wort oder passenden kurzen catchy Slogan?
    VerfasserFrank14 Nov. 10, 10:56
    Kommentar
    That would be understood just as well as
    "Ihr Gesundheits-, Sicherheits- und Umweltdetail" in German, i.e. not.

I'm not quite sure what it is you want to convey:
    Your Consultant for Health, Safety & Environment?
    Professional Advisor for?
    Expert in?
    Representative?
    Authority?
    #1Verfasserlaalaa (238508) 14 Nov. 10, 11:29
    Kommentar
    The business card is meant for a freelance professional consultant/advisor/expert in the field of HSE (Health Safety Environment), who aims at receiving contracts from major companies, for example, in the Chemical or Petrochemical Process Industry. My concern is that the slogan "Your HSE detail" as the catch phrase on a business card of an HSE expert may not be understood by potential clients. The term detail (like in "the President's detail" = Leibgarde) should express shortly and concisely that the client has nothing to worry about when he contracts the expert as his HSE expert/advisor.
    #2VerfasserFrank14 Nov. 10, 22:16
    Kommentar
    Unless this person moves solely in military circles I'd avoid "detail" in this context.
    And even then, I think you might have slightly misunderstood its use. Detail is mostly used for fatigue duties, e.g. kitchen detail and not for "Leibgarde".
    See also definition acc to dictionary.com :
    Military .
    a. an appointment or assignment, as of a small group or an officer, for a special task.
    b. the party or person so selected: the kitchen detail.
    c. a particular assignment of duty.

Maybe safer to use "task force".
    HTH
    #3Verfasserlaalaa (238508) 14 Nov. 10, 23:25
    Kommentar
    support @3. I'm a military contractor and use of "detail" like this on a business card would appear (a) ingratiating and ((b) not quite accurate
    #4Verfasserxxx14 Nov. 10, 23:50
    Kommentar
    Thanks for your comments. I'm convinced that detail would be out of place and even alienate the reader or, more likely so, wouldn' be understood at all. Task force instead of detail would be fine, except a one-man task force, again, sounds strange. Any ideas for a short concise slogan that serves the purpose as described?
    #5VerfasserFrank15 Nov. 10, 03:41
    Kommentar
    Difficult to get the environment under the same hat.
    Suggestions for further research: guarantor, protector, trustee, defender, advisory, tutelar
    Note: not entirely happy with any of them but maybe as a brainstorming trigger.
    #6Verfasserlaalaa (238508) 15 Nov. 10, 09:41
    Kommentar
    Thanks again. I think I just stay with:

Mr. XXXX
    HSE consultant
    or Your HSE Consultant
    or Your HSE Consultant and Coach

The point is that the target group of that business card comprises mainly non-native speakers of s.c. "Off-shore English", the English that the Portuges engineer speaks with a Japanese engineer and so forth, usually a very rudimentary English. They mostly understand the word "detail" as the average English speaker understands it, i.e. wrong.
    Some time ago, I saw the word "detail" used on a business card exactly in the meaning I intended to have confirmed by experts in this forum. I admit, at that time, I had to look it up in the dictionary before I understood what was meant.
    #7VerfasserFrank17 Nov. 10, 23:24

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Tastatur

• Sonderzeichen

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt