Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Betreff

wechselhafte Geschichte

Quellen
    Context: Hier kann man die wechselhaft Geschichte der Speicherstadt auf einem historischen Speicherboden nachvollziehen....

Experience the ? history of the warehouse complex in a historic warehouse...

wechselhaft = changing, varied? Maybe "eventful history"?

Kommentar
    Thanks.
    Verfasser Julie_5 (672070) 15 Feb. 11, 10:42
    Kommentar
    "Eventful" or "varied" sounds good, "turbulent" would probably be a bit over the top...
    #1Verfasser the kat (387522) 15 Feb. 11, 11:30
    Kommentar
    @the kat: Thanks. I agree, "turbulent" might be a bit too much.
    #2Verfasser Julie_5 (672070) 15 Feb. 11, 11:56
    Kommentar
    if ups and downs are involved, "chequered history" is a common idiom
    #3Verfassermikefm (760309) 15 Feb. 11, 12:01
    Quellen
    Kommentar
    Doesn't "checkered" usually go with "past" and imply a certain measure of criminal or at least dubious activity?
    #4Verfasser the kat (387522) 15 Feb. 11, 12:12
    Kommentar
    #4: maybe different AE/BE usage? Cambridge Int. Dict. of English "(of person or organization) having had both successful and unsuccessful periods in your past" and Concise OE: "with varied fortunes" - that would fit the Speicherstadt I'd say - the bombing of Hamburg e.g.
    #5Verfassermikefm (760309) 15 Feb. 11, 12:20
    Vorschlagchangeful
    Quellen
    Kommentar
    Ich kenne den Begriff wechselvoll für derartige Zusammenhänge, und den kennt auch der Löwe :-)
    #6Verfasser Lutz B (319260) 15 Feb. 11, 12:46
    Kommentar
    Whatever the dictionary says, I don't believe there's such a word as "changeful" in real life. I'd say "eventful" or "chequered" (the latter is explicit that there were bad times, the former isn't).
    #7Verfasser escoville (237761) 15 Feb. 11, 12:50
    Quellen
    Kommentar
    The number of hits for "changeful" in the .uk-domain is not overwhelming, but high enough for the assertion that the word exists in real life.
    #8VerfasserRodos (930149) 02 Jun. 15, 01:22
    Kommentar
    Oxforddict. führt "changeful" auf und bietet dafür folgende Beispiele:

"That must be some kind of victory for a man nearing sixty, so long tossed around uncertainly on changeful seas."

"It is very changeful, offering opportunities for many variations in dwelling and plan type within the same block."

"We find from Mrs. Fairfax that Mr. Rochester is often changeful and abrupt because of his nature, and also because of family troubles which absorb him painfully."

Die hier aufscheinende Bedeutung von "changeful" scheint jedoch nicht dem "wechselvoll" von wechselvolle Geschichte zu entsprechen.

Merriam-Websters Beispiel für "changeful" ("a confusingly changeful attitude toward his so-called best friend") entspricht eher "unbeständig" als "wechselvoll" im Sinne der Historie.

MWs Student Dictionary hat "changeful" als Synonym von "changeable" (veränderbar, unbeständig, wankelmütig, wechselhaft, wechselnd etc.)

Ich würde im vorliegenden Fall "eventful" nehmen.
    #9Verfasser MiMo (236780) 02 Jun. 15, 06:50
    Kommentar
    "wechselhaft" lässt sich auch durch abwechslungsreich ersetzen, also könnte man auch "ever changing history" nehmen.
    #10Verfasser karin_71 (1017173) 02 Jun. 15, 09:47
    Kommentar
    I agree with the sentiment in #7 about "changeful".
    #11VerfasserKinkyAfro (587241) 08 Jun. 16, 17:47
    Kommentar
    Let's see: English native speakers don't like "changeful", German native speakers are endorsing it. Draw your own conclusions! :-)
    #12Verfasser Spike BE (535528) 08 Jun. 16, 17:54
    Kommentar
    :-)
    #13Verfassermikefm (760309) 08 Jun. 16, 17:58
    Kommentar
    This German speaker does not like it, either ;-)
    #14Verfasser B.L.Z. Bubb (601295) 08 Jun. 16, 17:59
    Quellen
    changeful
    Pronunciation: /ˈtʃeɪndʒfʊl/

adjective Example sentences
    That must be some kind of victory for a man nearing sixty, so long tossed around uncertainly on changeful seas.
    It is very changeful, offering opportunities for many variations in dwelling and plan type within the same block.
    We find from Mrs. Fairfax that Mr. Rochester is often changeful and abrupt because of his nature, and also because of family troubles which absorb him painfully.

Sourced from here
    The assimilation of changeful and even alien influences has always been a principle of social life and aesthetics .

We would wish to thank everyone, including our family, our friends and the faculty at David Prouty, for their support and encouragement during these changeful times," Ms. Grads to embark on `yellow brick road'; Entrance into adulthood likened to Oz adventures

From the very start of the novel the young Henry is described as enthralled by Winfred's 'quivering, glittering, changeful eyes'--'yet it was not her beauty perhaps, so much as the look she gave me, that fascinated me, melted me' (p.
    That risk is admittedly small: the record of winnings posted by major twentieth-century players from Harold Nicolson to Robert Langbaum to Isobel Armstrong suggests how magnificently Victorian poetry has responded to the right lucky summons over a sequence of changeful decades.
    It is very changeful, offering opportunities for many variations in dwelling and plan type within the same block.
    12, 2009 (CENS) -- In view of the changeful financial environment, the board of directors of Cathay Financial Holding approved yesterday (Aug.
    Starting more or less in the 1970's, romanticism became the hinterland where North American literary studies in particular demonstrated a prescient cordiality towards what would come to be called theory, welcoming--although not without some trepidation--its embodiment in the strange and changeful shapes of Derrida and Paul de Man.
    With her specificity erased, her life of the spirit is seen to be inherently changeful because she is so open to external influence.
    In the distance, and fluctuating round this extreme verge of the banquet, was a changeful group of women, ragged boys and girls, beggars, young and old .
    10) Today, some of the cheerful delight of such devices is echoed in the changeful fountains of the US(11) and Singapore, in which children caper amid unpredictable squirtings.
    This latter reading opens a path to what I want to call a "scarcity of relation" obtaining between the carelessly changeful vitality of natural communities and the indelible "difference" that vitality can inflict on the narrower adaptive capabilities of human beings.
    Yet for all their often slightly wild detailing and their changeful massing, they seem very tame in comparison.
    http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.c... - References in periodicals archive (further down the page)
    Kommentar
    agree with the concerns regarding changeful whole-heartedly.
    As a matter of interest, I had a look at the online OED example sentences. Seems older literary use and perhaps Hongkong English..
    #15Verfasser jamqueen (1129860) 08 Jun. 16, 20:02
    Kommentar
    n.b., im Deutschen gibt es auch das Adjektiv "wechselvoll"... eine wechselvolle Geschichte. Kommt mir geläufiger vor als 'eine wechselhafte Geschichte'.
    #16VerfasserBraunbärin (757733) 08 Jun. 16, 20:36
    Kommentar
    re #16, das hat der Duden dazu :

wechselvoll
    Wortart: Adjektiv
    BEDEUTUNGSÜBERSICHT - (besonders von Prozessen, Entwicklungen) durch häufigen Wechsel (1a) gekennzeichnet
    Beispiel - ein wechselvolles Schicksal, Leben
    SYNONYME ZU WECHSELVOLL - abwechslungsreich, veränderlich, wandelbar

wechselhaft
    Wortart: Adjektiv
    BEDEUTUNGSÜBERSICHT - öfter wechselnd; durch einen häufigen Wechsel gekennzeichnet
    Beispiele - wechselhaftes Wetter, das Spiel hatte einen sehr wechselhaften Verlauf, in seinen Leistungen, Anschauungen wechselhaft sein
    SYNONYME ZU WECHSELHAFT - instabil, schwankend, sprunghaft, unbeständig, veränderlich, wetterwendisch; (gehoben) schwank, unstet; (gehoben abwertend) wankelmütig; (Finanzwesen) volatil
    #17Verfasser no me bré (700807) 08 Jun. 16, 20:40
    Vorschlagcolorful history
    #18Verfasserfloomie (978898) 08 Jun. 16, 22:41
    Kommentar
    Siehe auch # 6.

Könnte man sagen:
    changeful = wechselvoll, nur nicht in Bezug auf Geschichte?

(Mir fallen gerade keine Beispiele für wechselvoll ein).
    #19Verfasser Qual der Wal (877524) 09 Jun. 16, 08:39

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt