Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Betreff

Kosten - cost or costs?

Kontext/ Beispiele
    "Please let me know the cost for the patent application"
    Kommentar
    "Please let me know the cost for the patent application" wrote a native speaker. However I also know the expression "estimated costs". Is there any rule for using singular or plural in connection with "cost(s)"?
    In German only the plural form exists.
    Verfasserrally19 Sep. 05, 08:55
    VorschlagKosten - cost
    Kommentar
    "cost" darf im Englischen nur im Singular verwendet werden, wird fälschlicherweise manchmal aber auch im Plural verwandt.
    #1VerfasserSchnake19 Sep. 05, 09:06
    Quellen
    Kommentar
    In LEO wird auch "costs - Kosten" angeboten. Was stimmt jetzt?
    #2VerfasserDameuna19 Sep. 05, 09:09
    Kommentar
    for those unable to find at least one discussion in LEO concerning this theme:

related discussion:cost/ costs

@Schnacke - can you produce sources for your statement that costs is often used but wrong?
    or that only 'cost' is *allowed* to be used?
    #3Verfasserodondon irl19 Sep. 05, 09:19
    Kommentar
    #4VerfasserUwe19 Sep. 05, 09:19
    Kommentar
    @odondon
    thank you for the link. I actually tried to find a discussion related to cost/cost. But after having used the search form I got the response that the search function is not available. Up to now I couldn't find my mistake when using the search form.
    #5Verfasserrally19 Sep. 05, 09:29
    VorschlagKosten - cost
    Kommentar
    e. g. Langenscheidt dictionary
    #6VerfasserSchnake19 Sep. 05, 09:31
    Kommentar
    I agree with odondon that the "rule" is not as simple as Schnake would have us believe. Sometimes you just have to guess. You could equally well say the "costs of the patent application" unless you know for sure that there is only a one-time charge. It is quite possible that you have an initial application charge, then another charge when you submit all your documents, etc, in which case "costs" is accurate. The archived discussion that is referenced is very helpful but by no means the last word. I too am interested in Schnake's evidence.
    #7VerfasserRoger 19 Sep. 05, 09:32
    Kommentar
    @Schnake: PONS hat für Kosten - cost, costs.

Es sieht so aus, als ob der Singular meist/immer (?) dann Anwendung findet, wenn es sich um ein 'zusammengesetztes' Substantiv handelt, bei dem im Englischen cost an erster Stelle steht (z. B. Kostenabgrenzung = cost limit, Kostenbefreiung = cost exemption). Umgekehrt ist meist/immer (?) der Plural angesagt, wenn im Englischen costs hinten angefügt wird (z.B. Kostenaufstellung = statement of costs, Kostenbeitreibung = recovery of costs).

Liege ich mit dieser Vermutung richtig?
    #8VerfasserRiKo19 Sep. 05, 09:38
    Kommentar
    Difference between cost and costs:
    Cost - a one-time payment or repeated payment for one thing - The cost of a medication is what a patient has to pay once or for instance for a longer time.
    Costs - added up payments for several things, or subsequent and unforeseen expenses - The costs for Katrina are in the billions.
    #9VerfasserAlan (US/DE)19 Sep. 05, 09:48
    Kommentar
    @rally: the "Suche in Archiv und Forum" link on the Forum&Archive contents page is the one that does work. :)
    #10VerfasserIainA19 Sep. 05, 09:56
    Kommentar
    @lainA
    thank you :), I always tried to use the search forum under "unsolved query". This possibiliy should be deleted or at least a link should be provided to "Suche in Archiv und Forum" for "blind" people like me.
    #11Verfasserrally19 Sep. 05, 10:19

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt