Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

horse around

Sources
    LEO gives herumalbern, and there are other good choices in the threads for "horsing around," as well as the (unlinked) synonym "roughhouse."

My question is this: there are any comparable German expressions involving animals?
    Authormabr (598108) 30 Dec 11, 20:05
    Comment
    any expressions, or ones that mean 'horse around'? One with a horse (but a totally different meaning, of course) would be

Mit jemandem Pferde stehlen (können)
    #1Author Gibson (418762) 30 Dec 11, 20:10
    Comment
    A little OT ... Gibson. A friend of mine used to say that all the time. I didn't find it on Leo during a quick search just now. I always took it to mean that you'd be a good partner in crime, or something like that. How would you translate: mit jmdm. Pferde stehlen?
    #2Authorcryme (795004) 30 Dec 11, 20:16
    Comment
    He's up for anything

maybe, or something with 'game'? 'partner in crime' would also work in some contexts.

Edit: Actually, there should be an element of 'you can trust him' as well (which is missing in 'up for anything'). Hm. Not so easy. I'll keep thinking...

Edit again: online dictionaries seem to suggest 'He's a good sport' but that sounds a bit dated, doesn't it?
    #3Author Gibson (418762) 30 Dec 11, 20:27
    Comment
    Thanks. That's helpful. "to be up for anything" / "to be game" is great. That's how he meant it! I agree that "to be a good sport" is weird for some reason.
    #4Authorcryme (795004) 30 Dec 11, 20:33
    Comment
    Here from older LEO threads. Do either of these work?

Den Affen machen
    related discussion: den affen machen

Herumaffen / herumäffen
    related discussion: "Wir affen"
    #5Author Robert -- US (328606) 30 Dec 11, 20:43

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

­ automatisch zu ­ ­ umgewandelt