Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

Euro

Sources
    Wie heißt es richtig
    one Euro, one euro? --> Anfangsbuchstabe klein oder groß?
    two Euro, two euros? --> Anfangsbuchstabe klien oder groß? UND plural -s oder nicht?
    Authorfragerin_2 (878830) 17 Aug 12, 19:14
    Ergebnisse aus dem Wörterbuch
    euroder Euro  pl.   - Währung
    to convert into euro in Euro umrechnen
    to redenominate into euro [FINAN.]auf Euro umstellen
    Euro-skepticAE / Euro-scepticBE  adj.von Skepsis gegenüber der EU geprägt
    Euro-pudding   or: Europudding [pej.]  adj. [CINE.]Europudding-...   or: Euro-Pudding-... [pej.]
    quoted in eurosin Euro notiert
    That'll be 50 euros.Das macht 50 Euro.   - an der Kasse beim Einkaufen
    Comment
    #1Authorno me bré (700807) 17 Aug 12, 19:15
    Suggestioneuro
    Sources
    Danke das hilft schon mal.
    Der anderen diskussion zu folge geht ja beides euro und euros im plural laut dem Oxford Dictionary, das hab ich schon richtig verstanden, oder?

Aber wie sieht es jetzt aus mit den Anfangsbuchstaben, groß oder klein?
    denn es heißt zb one hundred Swiss francs aber one hundred dollars
    #2Authorfragerin_2 (878830) 17 Aug 12, 19:52
    Comment
    Alles, was mit dem Landesnamen zu tun hat, wird grundsätzlich groß geschrieben im Englischen, daher Swiss. Die Währungen an sich sind aber meist klein geschrieben: pounds, euros, yen.
    #3AuthorGibson (418762) 17 Aug 12, 20:01
    Comment
    Context rules. For example, "I gave him 3 euros" is OK, but usually "The company's turnover was 3 million euro".
    #4AuthorJohn_2 (758048) 17 Aug 12, 22:21
    Suggestionperfekte lösung
    Sources
    Super, danke, Gibson und John_2, genau sowas hatte ich mir erhofft :)
    #5Authorfragerin_2 (878830) 18 Aug 12, 12:42
    Suggestioneuro vs euros [proper name][finan.][pl.][Brit.]
    Sources
    Laut offizieller Info der Europäischen Kommission wird im Englischen (ausnahmsweise) für die Wärung Euro (engl.: euro) kein Mehrzahl s verwendet.
    siehe http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/publicati...
    #6Authorharaldinho (1003347) 30 Apr 14, 10:28
    Comment
    I have said it before, and will say it again:

Other than in strictly EU contexts, the EU institutions have NO business telling anyone how to write in English.

In EU publications, they can use whatever bizarre version of pretend 'English' they like.

So yes, within that context they can specify how to write it.
    #7AuthorJohn_2 (758048) 30 Apr 14, 10:38
    Comment
    Note, though, that the scope of the document quoted in #6 is limited:
    SPELLING OF THE WORDS “EURO” AND “CENT” IN OFFICIAL COMMUNITY LANGUAGES AS USED IN COMMUNITY LEGISLATIVE ACTS (bold mine).

There's no need to generalize this rule that applies ony to "community legislative acts" into standard speech and written documents. English normally forms a plural from the names of currencies when approprite, even in formal documents (such as financial reports.) Just because the EU has dictated a certain use for its legislative acts (which, I believe, stems from the fact that the various "official community languages" would form the plural of "euro" in a wide variety of ways), does not mean that this standard is meant to change the natural use of the word "euro" in the rest of the language. (This would be like asking German speakers to write "euro" (plural "euros") instead of "Euro" in their non-legislative documents had the EU dictated that use.)
    #8Authorhbberlin (420040) 30 Apr 14, 10:38
    Comment
    I don't think there is any disagreement between us - have we crossed in the post? :)
    #9AuthorJohn_2 (758048) 30 Apr 14, 10:56
    Comment
    I don't understand the objection to "euros." I don't take instructions from the EU, but I do use the plural "euros." I think I once heard that people in Ireland use "euro" for singular and plural, but the Economist seems to have no objection to "euros" and nor does the FT:

How to lose half a trillion euros
    http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/215877...

The trial had been keenly anticipated by international investors who are seeking billions of euros in compensation from Porsche’s holding company over the manner of its takeover attempt. 
    http://search.ft.com/search?queryText=euros

I also say "dollars" and "pounds."
    #10AuthorSD3 (451227) 30 Apr 14, 13:54
    Sources
    http://ec.europa.eu/translation/english/guide...

21.9 (page 77) The euro. Like ‘pound’, ‘dollar’ or any other currency name in English, the word ‘euro’ is written in lower case with no initial capital. Where appropriate, it takes the plural ‘s’ (as does ‘cent’):
    This book costs ten euros and fifty cents
    Comment
    re #6: The EU appears to contradict itself in its own recommendations. The European Commission has, in its style guide, also advocated an 's' for the plural form, like currencies in English in general.
    #11AuthorSP (UK) (792698) 30 Apr 14, 14:15
    Comment
    John_2, I think our posts did cross.
    I looked at the "official publications" table again. Hadn't seen before that "Euro" is allowed for German. Funny that they allowed the exception for German's idiosyncratic capitalization of nouns but didn't allow for localized plural forms.
    #12Authorhbberlin (420040) 30 Apr 14, 14:17

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt