Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

English missing

odourant oder odorant in BE ?

Subject

odourant oder odorant in BE ?

[chem.][noun]
    Sources
    Welches ist die korrekte britisch-englische Schreibweise fuer Geruchsstoff: odourant oder odorant?
    AuthorAlbo (187863) 18 Jul 13, 10:57
    Comment
    Bei Eingabe von odourant und bmj in google gibt es eine Autokorrektur zu odorant. Analog zum deodorant erscheint mir das (German native) logisch
    #1AuthorMiss Take (399408) 18 Jul 13, 11:10
    Comment
    my educated guess is that odourant is clearly BE... are there any AE native speakers to corroborate their writing...
    #2AuthorCrubinmore (406610) 18 Jul 13, 11:11
    Comment
    http://oxforddictionaries.com lists "odorant" without indicating that it's AE (in fact, the explanation then uses "odour")

Hint: It's likely faster (and more reliable) to look in the online monolingual dictionaries such as Oxford, Collins, American Heritage and Merriam-Webster than posting here when you need a definition (not a translation) of and English word or need to find out other information about the word.
    #3Authorhbberlin (420040) 18 Jul 13, 11:11
    Comment
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/engl...
    odorant
    Pronunciation: /ˈəʊd(ə)r(ə)nt/
    noun
    a substance used to give a particular odour to a product.
    Origin:
    late Middle English (as an adjective in the sense 'odorous'): from Old French, present participle of odorer, from Latin odorare 'give an odour to'. The current sense dates from the 1940s
    #4Authorno me bré (700807) 18 Jul 13, 11:12
    Comment
    If I recall correctly, there are other words in which BE drops the (superfluous) "u" in such cases -- not that I can think of one at the moment, though. Any native BE speakers familiar with what I'm thinking of?

#5Authorhbberlin (420040) 18 Jul 13, 11:16
    Comment
    edit to #3: ...of an English word...
    #6Authorhbberlin (420040) 18 Jul 13, 11:17
    Comment
    #5 - because of the added "ant", as with "humorous"?
    #7Authormikefm (760309) 18 Jul 13, 11:21
    Comment
    My feeling is that "odourant" started as someone's mis-spelling model(l)ed on odour.

The "u" is often absent in cognates such as "odorific" as these derive from Latin rather than French.
    EDIT: or indeed "humorous"
    #8Authorcodero (790632) 18 Jul 13, 11:27
    Comment
    Typically in BE, the noun has the "u" whereas the derived words lose it. Although I'm not very familiar with odorants, instinctively I find the spelling "odourant" odd.
    #9AuthorKinkyAfro (587241) 18 Jul 13, 11:29
    Comment
    Dank an alle!
    #10AuthorAlbo (187863) 18 Jul 13, 11:30

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters