•  
  • Betreff

contingency infrastructure

Quellen
    In one of the chapters of the book I reconstruct the theatrics of negotiated settlements at the two separate roundtables that brought an end to communism in Poland and apartheid in South Africa.
    I show how in both cases this was accomplished by providing “a space of appearance,” by authorizing and legitimizing the actors, by necessitating the drafting of a script, by establishing the rules of negotiations, and by foreseeing the need for a contingency infrastructure in which any lack of agreement could be dealt with.
    In such a situation, the agreement expected to be produced at the roundtable represents far more than what it actually states. The roundtable itself, as a conventional act, becomes a political genre, an idiom of political compromise, which is both a site of and a powerful instrument for the release of performativity.
    Kommentar
    Mir geht es vor allem um den fett markierten Abschnitt.

Wenn aber jemand darüber hinaus eine Idee hat, wie sich das "theatrics" im ersten Satz halbwegs elegant übersetzen ließe, wäre mir ebenfalls sehr geholfen.
    VerfasserSchorle (366805) 28 Jun. 14, 14:29
    Vorschlagund sehe die Notwendigkeit eines Plans B voraus, der bei fehlender Übereinkunft zum Tragen kommen kannri
    Kommentar
    Sehr frei übersetzt, ich weiß, aber es lockt weitere Vorschläge hervor.

theatrics ist mit Theatralik bestens übersetzt.
    #1VerfasserWerner (236488) 28 Jun. 14, 15:24
    Kommentar
    Wenn aber jemand darüber hinaus eine Idee hat, wie sich das "theatrics" im ersten Satz halbwegs elegant übersetzen ließe, wäre mir ebenfalls sehr geholfen.
    the theatrics: die Dramaturgie
    ?
    #2VerfasserBraunbärin (757733) 28 Jun. 14, 15:24
    Kommentar
    "Inszenierung" struck me as a possible translation for "theatrics", but it depends a little on what precisely the author means.

As regards the bold bit, do you find it hard to understand or are you simply at a loss to find an elegant translation?

.. Notfall-Infrastruktur zur Bewältigung etwaiger Uneinigkeit. is the best I can do as a non-DE native.
    #3Verfassercaptain flint (782544) 28 Jun. 14, 15:26

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Tastatur

• Sonderzeichen

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt