• Special characters
  • Lautschrift

(zuviel) Spiel

[noun] [tech.] [noun]
12 replies   
Nach Duden:

Bewegungsfreiheit von zwei ineinandergreifenden oder nebeneinanderliegenden [Maschinen]teilen; Spielraum
die Lenkung hat zu viel Spiel

Kann man "too much play" tatsächlich schreiben? Ich glaube, ich habe das mal gelesen. Wäre ansonsten "excessice clearance" ok? Da die Zielperson nicht muttersprachlich Englisch spricht, möchte ich korrekt, aber einfach bleiben.
Authormarcobolten (439464) 24 Jul 14, 22:57
#1Authoreineing (771776) 24 Jul 14, 23:01
Dictionary: Spiel haben
to have play [tech.] | had, had | - Spiel haben [Maschinen] | hatte, gehabt |

... When the cartridge bearings are worn, rough, or have play, the cartridge should be replaced. ...
#2Authorno me bré (700807) 24 Jul 14, 23:05
too much lash
#3Authordude (253248) 24 Jul 14, 23:19
Soweit mir bekannt ist, kann man hier doch allgemein play sagen.

Backlash scheint vorwiegend das Spiel bei einem Rädergetriebe zu sein.

(Für lash habe ich noch keine Beziehung zu Maschinenteile gefunden.)
#4AuthorBob C. (254583) 25 Jul 14, 00:59
I don't doubt that 'lash' is related in some way, since dude probably knows it from motorcycles. But I had never heard it in this context, so I'm not sure a non-native speaker would understand it. I would also wonder if it might be slang.

I would have just said 'The steering has too much play' or 'There's too much play in the steering'; that is, 'The steering isn't tight enough.' For example, in a car, if you turn the steering wheel a little, but the car wheels don't move until you turn it farther, that's too much play. It used to be typical of older cars.

'Clearance' is probably something else, like the space between one part and another part.
#5Authorhm -- us (236141) 25 Jul 14, 03:33
Cogs, for example (which are ineinandergreifend), are known to have lash sometimes. If you don't believe me, you can google it.

Edit: here's M-W's take:
5 : the clearance or play between adjacent movable mechanical parts
#6Authordude (253248) 25 Jul 14, 05:38
I'd usually go with "play" in such a situation (=>NNS) because it's the simplest, but, at least based on #6, "lash" is a nice technical word that I'll add to my list.

I'd avoid "clearance" here. It works for some translations of "Spiel," but is context-dependent (much like "Anlage"...)
#7Authorhbberlin (420040) 25 Jul 14, 11:11
"lash" is new to me; "play" is the term I'm familiar with; lash seems to be a specialist's term and/or AE. Dude has found a MW link, but I've found no other references in online dicts or in my printed ones. Maybe "lash" as mentioned by Dude refers to the sudden movement that can occur when moving parts of a machine have too much play - tails "lash" for example?
#8Authormikefm (760309) 25 Jul 14, 12:01
"lash" is absolutely O.K., at least in AE. Some diesel engines have hydraulic valve lash adjusters, for example. Anyway, "play" is pretty neutral.
#9Authorblowdown (811990) 25 Jul 14, 12:19
"lash" is absolutely O.K., at least in AE. Some diesel engines have hydraulic valve lash adjusters, for example. Anyway, "play" is pretty neutral.
#10Authorblowdown (811990) 25 Jul 14, 12:19
Sorry for the duplication.
#11Authorblowdown (811990) 25 Jul 14, 12:28
Since lash is indeed in the main dictionary, we have to accept it as a standard technical term for play or clearance, whether we individually or personally have heard of it or not. Keep in mind also that dude has hands on experience with such things.
#12AuthorBob C. (254583) 25 Jul 14, 13:54
i Only registered users are allowed to post in this forum
LEO uses cookies in order to facilitate the fastest possible website experience with the most functions. In some cases cookies from third parties are also used. For further information about this subject please refer to the information under  Leo’s Terms of use / Data protection (Cookies)