Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

seminar retreat

[rel.]
    Sources
    At a seminar retreat some years ago students were sharing the positive growth experiences of the past year. A certain mood of jubilation prevailed. Then a woman went forward and began to talk about her disappointments in the seminary.
    Comment
    Seminar retreat im Deutschen, bitte!
    Authorloina (1091633) 09 Jun 16, 05:33
    Comment
    Das ist möglicherweise ein spirituelles Zentrum.
    #1Authorpenguin (236245) 09 Jun 16, 08:15
    Comment
    I can't comment on the German, but a "retreat" (in America) is an event where a group goes away from the regular environs (away from the office or, in this case, away from the church building)--into a non-urban area--to have some sort of special instruction and usually some fun, etc.

I probably should have looked for the dictionary definition, but it's late, and you can do that.
    #2AuthorHappyWarrior (964133) 09 Jun 16, 08:32
    Comment
    Are you sure they are going away from the church building and not, in fact, using a seminary for their retreat?
    #3Authorpenguin (236245) 09 Jun 16, 08:37
    Comment
    It's far from impossible to hold a (church) retreat in the church building--but that would sort of defeat the meaning and purpose of a retreat (retreating from the regular and ordinary so as to explore new ideas, etc). Certainly a seminar is a very different thing than a seminary.
    #4AuthorHappyWarrior (964133) 09 Jun 16, 08:42
    Comment
    Certainly a seminar is a very different thing than a seminary. 

I am quite aware of that, which is why I am suggesting that they - whoever they were - retreated to a seminary (for a seminar, maybe?)
    #5Authorpenguin (236245) 09 Jun 16, 08:44
    Comment
    That is certainly possible, especially if the seminary is remote from where they usually meet.
    #6AuthorHappyWarrior (964133) 09 Jun 16, 08:55
    Comment
    I'm inclined to agree with H.W. on this one. To me, 'seminar' means that it's a small group, say, 12-15 people, just enough to fit around a seminar table. 'Retreat' means that they go away to a secluded place (for the weekend?) and don't have contact with anyone else except their small group.

Of course, if 'seminar' is a typo for 'seminary,' all bets are off. But if that's not the case, I don't see any direct relation.
    #7Authorhm -- us (236141) 09 Jun 16, 09:00
    Comment
    Good explanation!
    #8AuthorHappyWarrior (964133) 09 Jun 16, 09:02
    Sources
    "Freizeiten sind zeitlich begrenzte Maßnahmen, die (...) zum Beispiel in Ferienstätten, Tagungshäusern oder auch als Zeltlager in freier Natur angeboten werden. (...) Innerhalb evangelischer Landes- und Freikirchen (besonders in Ostdeutschland) werden Freizeiten auch als Rüstzeiten bezeichnet. Im katholischen Bereich spricht man auch von Einkehrtagen."

Comment
    retreat (relig.: Zeit der Ruhe und Abgeschiedenheit)
    1. eher kathol.: Einkehrtag(e)
    2. eher protest.: Freizeit
    #9AuthorMiMo (236780) 09 Jun 16, 09:12
    Comment
    So you think the retreat has nothing to do with the location and that there is no typo for "seminary"? That's an interpretation I hadn't thought about.
    #10Authorpenguin (236245) 09 Jun 16, 09:17
    Comment
    Hello,
    it is indeed 'seminar' and "Freizeit/Rüstzeit" is exactly what I was looking for.
    Thank you!
    #11Authorloina (1091633) 09 Jun 16, 13:29
    Comment
    im kirchl. Zusammenhang kenne ich Besinnungstage
    #12AuthorSiss (1091233) 09 Jun 16, 14:03
    Comment
    Ich kenne sowas als Klausur.

Speziell, wenn man etwas intensiver und ungestört diskutieren möchte. Freizeit, spziell im Kirchenzusammenhang, ist für mich eher was für Kinder und Jugendliche. Aber vielleicht geht es im OP ja um Jugendliche.
    #13AuthorQual der Wal (877524) 09 Jun 16, 14:12
    Comment
    Genau: Klausur.

Inzwischen sind auch im akademischen Bereich 'Retreats' in Mode gekommen. Früher sagte man da auch 'Klausur'.
    #14AuthorSelima (107) 09 Jun 16, 14:53
    Comment
    Dazu fällt mir noch die "Klausurtagung" ein ...
    #15Authorno me bré (700807) 09 Jun 16, 14:57
    Comment
    Klausur ist für mich etwas Neues! Da werde ich den übersetzten Teil noch einmal umändern, da es nicht unbedingt um Jugendliche geht, sondern um Erwachsene. (In diesem Fall spricht man dann nicht von einer Rüstzeit?)
    #16Authorloina (1091633) 09 Jun 16, 15:59

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt