Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

Nachtreten / nachtreten

[sport.]
    Sources
    www.uefa.com
    Context/ examples
    Doch der Spanier musste kurz danach ebenfalls zum Duschen, weil er gegen Barry van Galen nachgetreten hatte.

Den unrühmlichen Schlusspunkt setzte dann Asamoah, der wegen Nachtretens gegen Amoroso von Schiedsrichter Fröhlich mit "Rot" vom Platz musste.
    AuthorBernd Moos11 May 06, 00:57
    Suggestionto be sent off?
    Comment
    Auf Englisch, wenn ein Fußballspieler die rote Karte kriegt, sagen wir "He was sent off".

Andere Möglichkeiten:

He was thrown out of the match.
    He was red-carded.

Ist das, was du meintest?
    #1AuthorCJMoss11 May 06, 02:26
    SuggestionNein, das ist nicht was du meintest.
    Comment
    Vielleicht ist es "Being abusive towards the referee"?
    #2AuthorCJMoss11 May 06, 02:32
    Suggestionto retaliate ?
    Context/ examples
    nachschlagen [Fußball] - to retaliate
    nachtreten [Fußball] - to retaliate
    http://odge.de/englisch/t/29000.html

Comment
    This is the only translation I found, so I can't vouch for it, but odge, despite its other flaws, does often have current, idiomatic terms like this that LEO lacks.

It would help if someone could locate a German definition or write a short explanation for confirmation. The examples above don't really show what the word means; I would have guessed some sort of late kick or kick from behind.

@CJMoss: Do you have any evidence at all to support your guesses?
    #3Authorhm -- us11 May 06, 03:21
    SuggestionOnly...
    Comment
    ...the contextual clues offered in the original examples, and a few others that I found in German Wikipedia, along with the knowledge that being nasty to the referee can get one red-carded.
    #4AuthorCJMoss11 May 06, 03:32
    Context/ examples
    Explanation, but more questions and no translation:
    Comment
    It's not against the referee!

"Nachtreten" simply means that the player was violent to a player of the other team for example as a revenge for a foul. Main point is that the reaction is directly offensive to the player without any chance to hit the ball and is in no way happening during the game (more or less accidently) like a rough foul.
    That's why you are sent off immediatly.

"Tätlichkeit" is a similar thing, but in contrary "Nachtreten" is carried out with the legs, where a Tätlichkeit can be everything for example a punch or spitting, head knock or any other violating and unfair movements.

Situation: I get the ball in the midfield and someone tackles me. Although the referee blows the whistle (BTW: how to translate "ein foul pfeifen"?) and I also didn't get hurt by this action, I got very angry and just kicked the tackling player in the ass. So I will be sent off for "Nachtreten". If I decided to give him a punch as a revenge for the foul I would get red for "Tätlichkeit".
    You got the clue?

Regards,
    #5AuthorKJL11 May 06, 04:26
    Suggestionretaliation [sport.]
    Sources
    www.uefa.com
    Context/ examples
    The party atmosphere was temporarily disturbed when Riquelme was shown a second yellow card on 42 minutes for retaliation.
    Comment
    Thanks! I think "retaliation" is just the word I was looking for. And yes: it means deliberately kicking out at an opponent, typically as a revenge after having been fouled.
    #6AuthorBernd Moos11 May 06, 17:32
    Comment
    In American football, nachtreten would be called as a "personal foul- unsportsmanlike conduct", and would result in at least a 15-yard penalty or perhaps ejection.
    #7Authorken-us11 May 06, 18:02
    Suggestionretaliation, by kicking
    Comment
    hm-us hat Recht. "Retaliation" kann verschiedene Formen annehmen, z. B. nachtreten, schlagen, zurückschlagen, schubsen usw...
    Daher habe ich es genauer spezifiziert und "by kicking" hinzugefügt.
    #8Authorhein mück11 May 06, 20:49
    Comment
    Thanks, everyone, all this is helping, slowly but surely.

I'm not sure I understand yet 100% what 'nach-' means, though. Does it mean that one player kicks another or runs into him feet first after the referee has stopped play? In that case it might be called a 'late hit' or 'late tackle' in English, though that might only be in American football, not soccer.
    #9Authorhm -- us11 May 06, 20:56
    Comment
    hm-us: "nach" here is meant in the sense of "after, subsequenty". He kicked the other one after the first fellow fouled him. "After the event"...
    #10Authorhein mück11 May 06, 21:16
    Comment
    @hm...
    I don't think you could call it a late hit. It would be as if a player hit his tackler AFTER he was tackled and the whistle blown to end the play. That is 'unsportsmanlike conduct'.
    #11Authorken-us11 May 06, 21:40
    Comment
    ken-us: Ok, but we are trying to establish the English for a particular kind of unsportmanlike conduct. Spitting, pushing etc., are also unsportsmanlike conduct. Here, with "nachtreten", we are talking specifically about retaliation by kicking.
    #12Authorhein mück11 May 06, 21:49
    Comment
    Einverstanden, aber mit Fußball kenne ich mich nicht aus. Was sagt der englische Schiri,wenn ein Nachtreten-Fall vorliegt, wohl nicht 'retaliation by kicking'?
    #13Authorken-us11 May 06, 22:14
    Suggestionviolent conduct
    Comment
    ... that's the generic term the referee has to use for all kinds of kicking, punching and pushing (at least in Scotland). A "late tackle" scythes down a player without any chance to get a touch of the ball - without the referee having blown his whistle before. After the referee blew his whistle to interrupt the run of play, the first assault or kick at an opposing player is a "deliberate attack/kick". The bad-tempered opponent might then "retaliate by kicking". The referee will jot down both incidents in his match report as "violent conduct", though.
    #14Authorkilmarnock11 May 06, 23:24
    Suggestionrevenge foul
    Sources
    Comment
    "revenge kick" should work too.

"The Football Association will decide early next week whether to charge Roy Keane with bringing the game into disrepute.
    The Manchester United star caused controversy after admitting in a serialisation of his autobiography that he deliberately targeted Alf Inge Haaland for a revenge foul."

#15AuthorGB12 May 06, 00:25
    SuggestionTo hit back/out at someone
    Sources
    'Sir Menzies hits back at critics'

'Sir Menzies Campbell has hit out at "idle chatter" from within his party about his performance.'

- from BBC News.
    #16AuthorDinoDogg22 Oct 07, 17:22
    SuggestionNachtreten
    Sources
    to kick someone when they´re down
    Comment
    "Nachtreten" als Verb hat an sich nichts zwangsläufig mit Fussball zu tun, wird nur oft in diesem Zusammenhang gebraucht.

To "kick someone when they´re down" oder "nachtreten" benutzt allgemein für den Fall, dass einem gerade dann etwas angetan (u.a. Gewalt, unfaire Be-Handlung usw.) wird, wenn man nicht in der Lage ist, sich verbal oder physisch zu wehren.
    #17AuthorAaron Baudhuin24 May 08, 00:34

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt