Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

English missing

Unterschied zwischen residue und residual [chem.]

Subject

Unterschied zwischen residue und residual [chem.]

Sources

residues/residuals from sterilization by ethylene oxide

Comment

Nach der Sterilisation von Produkten mit dem Gas Ethylenoxid kann es sein, dass noch Reste dieses Gases in der Verpackung vorhanden sind. Wie bezeichnet man diese Reste/Rückstände im Englischen: residues oder residuals oder gibt es keinen Unterschied?

AuthorGemüsesuppe (270490) 28 Sep 20, 14:51
    Comment

When something is left over from a chemical process or reaction, my understanding is that that's called a residue, not a residual.

"Residual" to me has a financial meaning, but, googling it, I find a scientific/mathematical meaning also -- but not for this kind of chemical context.

#1Author bishop_j (877745) 28 Sep 20, 19:03
    Sources

"Residue may be the material remaining after a process of preparation, separation, or purification, such as distillation, evaporation, or filtration. It may also denote the undesired by-products of a chemical reaction."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residue_(chemistry)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual

Comment

Unless really describing a result of a chemical reaction in the context of chemistry, I wouldn't choose to use the word residue, and the sterilization of products is not IMHO chemistry. And in a non-chemical context, a residue would usually be understood to apply to some solid matter, and not to a gas.

Residual is usually an adjective, and although it also has some uses as a noun, none of them are applicable here.

I would translate your sentence as "After sterilizing products with ethylene oxide, some of this gas can remain in the packaging." or possibly "After sterilizing products with ethylene oxide, some residual gas can remain in the packaging."

#2Author amw (532814) 29 Sep 20, 01:03
    Comment

amw's points in #2 are well taken.

#3Author bishop_j (877745) 29 Sep 20, 16:23
    Comment

A residue is what’s left over after you’ve completed a procedure, e.g taken sth out.

A residual is the quantity of what’s left over, the remainder.

For your steri procedure, see also https://www.steris-ast.com/techtip/overview-e...

edit: I was so sure, but now I’ve looked it up and they seem to be interchangeable. 🤔

#4Authorlaalaa (238508)  29 Sep 20, 18:08
    SuggestionThanks for your answers, seems to be more complicated than I thought...
    Sources

Thanks for your answers, seems to be more complicated than I thought...

#5AuthorGemüsesuppe (270490) 30 Sep 20, 14:00
    Comment

Even the text at the link in #4 predominantly uses "residue." The uses of "residual" there sound a little odd to me, but I am not trained in the relevant tech/science.

amw's suggestion of rewording so as to avoid either term seems like a workable idea in this case. If it were, or is, a case of solid matter being left over, I'd certainly prefer "residue" for that.

#6Author bishop_j (877745) 30 Sep 20, 14:55

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt