Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

Straßenräume

Sources

Die Gestaltung orientiert sich einerseits an den Ansprüchen und Bedürfnissen der Menschen, die dort wohnen oder diese Straßenräume nutzen (immaterielle Ansprüche). Andererseits sind auch die technischen Belange zu berücksichtigen (materielle Ansprüche). Zu den materiellen Ansprüchen zählt die verkehrliche, versorgungstechnische, wirtschaftliche und ökologische Wirksamkeit der Straßenraumgestaltung.

Comment

danke!

AuthorAnnaUK (806456) 01 Oct 22, 17:37
    Comment

There are a couple of forum discussions on Straßenraum - was there there nothing there that you found good?

I thought streetscape in connection with design was good, when it comes to living there or using the street as a public space, maybe not...

#1AuthorAE procrastinator (1268904) 01 Oct 22, 17:50
    Comment

Ganz wörtlich street space? Mehr beinhaltet Straßenraum m. E. auch nicht.

#2Author Kapustiner (1229425) 03 Oct 22, 10:55
    Comment

I was mulling that over, too. Although it doesn’t seem to be too well represented online, there are instances of its use, one in particular (from Williston, Vermont) that I find convincing:

A. Although commonly thought of as just greens, squares or parks, the public realm includes the complete street-space—the space between the building façades: the sidewalks, street trees, squares, greens, and the

automobile lanes.

B. The street-space is a community’s first and foremost public space and should be just as carefully designed and planned as any green or civic building. The character of the street—both its scale and its details—plays a critical role in determining the quality of the place.

https://www.town.williston.vt.us/vertical/sit... (The document contains multiple uses of “street-space.”)

“streetscape” presents a bit of a problem in my mind as I tend to read its “-scape” element, first and foremost, two-dimensionally: the idea of a view or prospect. I realize this isn’t the sole possible reading— “landscape,” for example, can be (and is, e.g., in “landscape gardener,” etc.) read three-dimensionally. But even there, I find the two-dimensional element tends to crowd out the three-dimensional at first sight. “street-space,” on the other hand, immediately suggests three-dimensionality.

#3AuthorBion (1092007)  03 Oct 22, 12:02
    Comment

I guess you are right that streetscape is not the right term, or anyway, usage seems to vary. The San Francisco Planning Dept. defines streetscape as the : "the area between building frontages and the curb (i.e., the sidewalk, where most streetscape elementsare located: street trees, lighting, sidewalk paving, site furnishings)."

The City of Vancouver has streetscape design guidelines (SDG) that "describe design objectives for sidewalks, furniture, trees, and landscaping along all public streets in Vancouver."

One of the hits I got for official uses of "street space" was from the New York City government site, "Six years later the space was upgraded using more permanent materials, with the street space merged with the sidewalk to create one large plaza with trees, new lighting, pedestrian wayfinding signage, seating and public art displays" - implying that street space did not include sidewalk space...

Perhaps most people just say "streets and sidewalks" and do not use the word "space" at all.

#4AuthorAE procrastinator (1268904) 03 Oct 22, 12:35
    Comment

Yes, I didn’t do a search on “streetscape,” but your examples show it being used in much the same sense. Both are definitely terms from the fields of urban-planning, urban theory, etc., and, as you suggest, not in the least bit colloquial. If “streetscape” were used in a colloquial context, and it could be, then I think one can pretty safely place a bet on its being used in the two-dimensional sense: a street view, prospect, aspect, look.

#5AuthorBion (1092007) 04 Oct 22, 11:26

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt