Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

der DAU

Context/ examples
    Looking for an Englisch translation of the German word "DAU". A DAU means "der dümmste anzunehmende User" and is a pun with GAU which means "größter anzunehmender Unfall". (Usually used in relation to nuclear power plants.)
    But being a hotline worker etc. you know you'll always get the worst case, you don't even suppose it anymore. :-D
    Comment
    The reason I'm looking for a translation simply is, that my English 'digital' pen pal didn't wrote ICQ messages for about a month, just because he had tried to tune his computer all by himself, and didn't get him running again within the whole month passing by. Now I'd like to explain him what we'd call him, and that the pun in DAU is intended. Although any kind of translation, that's used in English for a DAU would help me. I don't want to offend him, that's for sure. He's just trying to learn German, I like to explain the pun to him, but I need any translation first.

Could anyone give me a clue? That'd be jolly nice. Many thanks in advance.
    AuthorNanna01 Sep 02, 11:08
    Comment
    Schreib doch: Dear friend, we, that is me and few others, would call you a DAU. Don't take it personal. The first two letters are German---and not polite; U stands for user (=Benutzer). Unfall (=accident) has the same starting letter, and a GAU (=groesster anzunehmender ___) is the greatest possible ___. How do you like my pun? Regards, Nanna.
    #1AuthorOL <de>01 Sep 02, 21:17
    Comment
    Besser noch, schreib: ... The first two letters, although German, are not polite...
    #2AuthorOL <de>01 Sep 02, 22:39
    Suggestionguess: worst case user
    Comment
    Thank you very much OL. I discarded geek and nerd before I thought of them as possibilities, but I can't get rid of the idea calling it the 'worst case user'. Everything can be worst case in computer science so why not the user? ;-) Besides that he's always the problem. :-D Well, I know the real problem are the people, who are writing the software, but they wouldn't want to hear nor believe it. :-)
    #3AuthorNanna <de>01 Sep 02, 22:41
    Comment
    Don't see the point why 'anzunehmender' should be unpolite. There's a lot things out there, which you can only 'annehmen' or 'vermuten'.
    :-D I think the problem of being unpolite lies in the, for me, untranslatable 'dümmster' part. Most dumbest?
    #4AuthorNanna <de>01 Sep 02, 22:48
    Suggestiondumbest user scenario
    Comment
    GAU bedeutet 'worst case scenario'.
    #5Author02 Sep 02, 04:01
    Comment
    Hier haengt natuerlich alles wieder vom Zusammenspiel ab, und mit D finde ich A nicht gerade freundlich. Sieht das Dein Feund anders?
    #6AuthorOL <de>02 Sep 02, 22:12

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt