Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Betreff

Einlegen

Kontext/ Beispiele
    Das Einlegen von Früchten
    VerfasserFelix02 Sep. 03, 12:39
    Vorschlagmarination
    #1VerfasserLiz02 Sep. 03, 12:49
    Vorschlagto pickle
    Quellen
    Pons
    Kommentar
    Pons sagt zu einlegen bei Heringen oder Gurken "to pickle".
    LEO bietet unter "einmachen" an: "to confect, to preserve"
    #2VerfasserStefan K02 Sep. 03, 12:57
    Kommentar
    pickle is often used when there is salt involved - this can be with fruit as well (for example a mango-chutney is a pickle)

preserve is more neutral - can be salty or sweet - I would use preserve!
    #3Verfassercanussi02 Sep. 03, 13:09
    Kommentar
    thx
    #4VerfasserFelix02 Sep. 03, 13:20
    Kommentar
    Ich habe mich in den USA anfangs sehr amüsiert, wenn ich auf Gläsern mit Eingemachtem oder Marmelade las:
    "No preservatives added."

Ob das etwas mit "einlegen" zu tun hat?
    #5VerfasserAndreasS02 Sep. 03, 14:11
    Kommentar
    AndreasS
    Luckily a friend explained the preserative difference to me before I made a big mistake. Quite amusing, I agree... *ggg*

In the case of the canned/jarred goods, "preservatives" are chemicals that prevent the food from going bad before a certain date. "To preserve", which I've understood here as "einlegen", is a process in which fruits are boiled with sugar and water to disinfect them, and then stored in air-tight jars. So yes, preservatives and "to preserve" are more or less the same thing, except for someone realized it was easier to do with chemicals instead of heat. A good number of people don't like to eat chemicals with their food (I wonder why?), so printing "no preservatives added" on the jar is a marketing thing.
    #6VerfasserBogusBrainBonus (Ami)02 Sep. 03, 15:37
    Kommentar
    BogusBrainBonus (Ami): The process you describe is called "einmachen" and in a special from "einwecken" in German. "Einlegen" ist the action of placing pieces of fruit in a liquid containing things like sugar, spices, alcohol etc. So "marinate" would be a correct translation. Since these "eingelegte Früchte" usually are preserved like this it became synonymous with "einmachen".

"Einwecken" is a special procedure invented by (or at least named after) a person: Johann Weck. The procedure uses the disinfecting heat to produce an air-tight with the help of special glass jars, a glass lid, a rubber ring and a dingsbums to hold the lid before heat is applied. Everything is very well explained here: http://www.weck.de/index.html

The word is interesting, because AFAIK it is one of very few verbs that have been coined after a real persons name.

[Anybody who doesn't understand what's funny about "No preservatives added" may look up "Präservativ" in the dictionary.]
    #7VerfasserAndreasS02 Sep. 03, 20:16

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

­ automatisch zu ­ ­ umgewandelt