•  
  • Betreff

auspacken

Kontext/ Beispiele
    Nürnberg packt aus,
    wir laden ein.
    Kommentar
    This is the title for a description of a trade fair going on in Nuremberg which will be attended by my company.

To be honest, I'm not sure what they're getting at here. I'm guessing this is some kind of Wortspiel in German (aus, ein), but all the definitions of auspacken that I've found don't really seem to fit.

Does anyone have any idea how I could bring this across in English?

Thanks for any help.
    Verfassertrocco (AE)23 Jul. 04, 15:49
    Kommentar
    There are several meanings:

Nuremberg unpacks (goods) - we load (them)

Nuremberg unpacks - we invite you to attend this event

Nuremberg speaks its mind - "

good luck
    #1Verfasserdagmar23 Jul. 04, 16:03
    Kommentar
    hmm....unpacking in this case sounds very weird to me. Here's how I translated the first paragraph. Maybe it will help you or someone else further:

FachPack 2004 is one of the most important and effective trade fairs for packaging in all of Europe. Visitors from packaging-intensive sectors such as food and luxury foodstuff production, the chemical and pharmaceutical industries, and the automotive and metal-working industries all come together during this fair.
    #2Verfassertrocco (AE)23 Jul. 04, 16:07
    Kommentar
    If it weren't Friday, I would have stumbled upon this sooner. The actual website for the fair translates it as "Well-packed in Nuremberg"...now I've just got to find a snappy way to put the "Wir laden ein" to use in English....

sheesh...marketing...;-)
    #3Verfassertrocco (AE)23 Jul. 04, 16:12
    Vorschlagmakes itself known
    Kontext/ Beispiele
    In this sense auspacken means to make itself known. It is indeed a Wortspiel, but I don't know how to translate it. Auspacken means to unpack and to have a coming out. Einladen means to load in and to invite.
    #4VerfasserMartina23 Jul. 04, 16:14
    Kommentar
    I think it is a kind of "Wortspiel", but even as a German I have to think twice to catch the meaning.
    "Auspacken" is used here in the sense "Nürnberg shows all it has to offer" (which was probably not visible to everyone until "unpacked").

#5VerfasserSF23 Jul. 04, 16:18
    Kommentar
    SF I like that a lot. Am leaning towards "Nuremberg shows off, we're xxx xxx" or something along those lines. Maybe something ending with "on" like "turning on"....

#6Verfassertrocco (AE)23 Jul. 04, 16:24
    Kommentar
    "Nürnberg is unpacking, and we invite you in!"
    #7Verfasserhein mück 23 Jul. 04, 16:40
    Kommentar
    great, mein hück :-)))
    #8VerfasserMartina23 Jul. 04, 17:56

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •