It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

  • Subject


    Dein neues grünes Tank-Top sieht spitze aus.
    Es geht hier um ein Oberteil(Kleidungsstück).
    Ähnlich den Spaghetti-Trägerhemden, nur mit breiteren Trägern und meist auch anders geschnitten.
    Oder anderer Erklärversuch: ein T-shirt ohne Arme, aber mit größerem Ausschnitt
    AuthorgreenSTABILO12 Mar 07, 21:18
    Ergebnisse aus dem Wörterbuch
    tank-top plating [NAUT.]die Doppelbodentankdecke
    it's the same word in English: tank top
    #1AuthorSteveG (292326) 12 Mar 07, 21:19
    ganz sicher?

    ich möchte nicht falsch verstanden werden, da es um eine us-amerikanische schulordung geht!

    #2AuthorgreenSTABILO12 Mar 07, 21:24
    I can't speak for US - they speak a very different language. Tank tops are known in the UK, by everyone, and are not generally liked because they seem old-fashioned and something worn by old men!
    #3AuthorSteveG (292326) 12 Mar 07, 21:26
    ohh... it's a comfortable and for young girl or younger women.
    You usually wear it in your freetime and it's casual.
    #4AuthorgreenSTABILO12 Mar 07, 21:31
    ....and so it is. I've looked on Google Bilder. There are a few designs for men too. An old design has been updated.
    #5AuthorSteveG (292326) 12 Mar 07, 21:35
    Tank top is very familiar , if you want to be more formal for your "Schulordnung" then maybe use: sleeveless shirt made from lightweight fabric?
    #6Author Just Lynn (307973) 12 Mar 07, 21:40
    So what do you think: Can I use the word?
    #7AuthorgreenSTABILO12 Mar 07, 21:41
    I think tank top will be fine for your Americans. I've looked at Google again and there is indeed a logic to what I've said. A tank top in the UK is a sleeveless pullover - so knitwear (this is the thing worn by old men!!) in US/Australian English a tank top is the kind of Spaghetti-Träger thing you mention - in UK English we call them a vest.

    Didn't I say American and British English are totally different languages!!!
    #8AuthorSteveG (292326) 12 Mar 07, 21:50
    Thank you a lot!!!

    #9AuthorgreenSTABILO12 Mar 07, 21:57
    @ Just Lynn

    I want to use the word in a letter to my family in Texas.
    Just because I want to ask if it is allowed to wear it in school.

    Thank you for your (long) formal explanation!

    #10AuthorgreenSTABILO12 Mar 07, 22:00
    when you write to the people in America put "tank top (sleeveless T-shirt)" then there can be no room for misunderstanding.
    #11AuthorSteveG (292326) 12 Mar 07, 22:07
    'Tank top' is definitely right. You could ask, 'Can you wear tank tops to school? Is there a school dress code?'

    If you know the name of the school, or the district, you might even find information about a dress code on the internet. Try a web search with the words "independent school district" "dress code". (-:
    #12Author hm -- us (236141) 12 Mar 07, 22:13
    F.Y.O. OED entry for BE use: "a close-fitting sleeveless top, typically made of wool and worn over a shirt or blouse."

    Not to say that the fashion industry will never use the term to refer to a different type of T-shirt based top.

    #13AuthorSteveG (292326) 12 Mar 07, 22:20
    Thank you for your inquiry!

    @hm -- us: I will ask my exchange partner because I know the dress code but I want to know if it is required.
    #14AuthorgreenSTABILO12 Mar 07, 22:26
 ­ automatisch zu ­ ­ umgewandelt